Should the first team squad receive 80% of current salary?

Should the first team squad receive 80% of their current salary?

• Yes

Votes: 108 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 15.0%
  • Stop talking complete pish

Votes: 108 43.9%

• Total voters
Are people misunderstanding this or am I? As far as I can tell, this applies to workers who would have lost their job due to this, the government aren't paying 80% of most peoples wages, companies will have to show that the staff member would have been laid off due to this or can't be given work due to it.

People seem to be looking at this as the government are now paying 80% of almost everyones wages and, as far as I can tell from the information they have given, this isn't right.

Very happy to be proven wrong on this, but I'm sure it only applies to people who would have lost their job or been without paying work.

I also don't think it would be a good public image for a club still attempting to attract investors and still hoping to hold a further round of public fund raising to ask players to take a pay cut or to apply for government support to pay around 1% of our players average monthly salary. Maybe they could do it with backroom staff, who are more likely to be made redundant at this time and will be far harder it, as they don't have the contract protection of footballers.

That is correct. However, I am not talking about the players being paid anything from the government. Just for them (first team squad) taking a 20% cut in line with what a lot of us will be doing if we can’t get to work. A goodwill gesture. Helping the club in what is going to be a tough time.

Voted No.
I actually think that most if not every club will need players to accept pay reductions as they won't be able to survive without regular match day incomes.

I don't think the OP has fully read/understood what the government has announced regarding help for companies re salaries!

I would like to think the club are talking to their high earners and asking them to take a sizeable reduction in their salaries until games are played again.

It's unfair to ask everyone to take a cut as some will be on modest earnings, but I think it is fair for all staff to consider squeezing the differentials to save as much money as possible.

This to include ALL staff, players, coaches and management.

I don’t think you have fully understood what I was asking
No, I definitely do. What the government announced isn't a cut in wages. It's help for employers who can claim back up to 80% of wages (up to £2500 per month) as long as employers don't lay their employees off. The employer would still be expected to fund the additional 20%, or negotiate if they can't.

No, I definitely do. What the government announced isn't a cut in wages. It's help for employers who can claim back up to 80% of wages (up to £2500 per month) as long as employers don't lay their employees off. The employer would still be expected to fund the additional 20%, or negotiate if they can't.

I’m talking about the first team squad only, agreeing with the club to take a 20% cut whilst there are no games. Nothing to do with the government!

I know how the governments scheme works. It has nothing to do with what I’m talking about.

It’s not quite that. It’s arrangements to allow employees to be furloughed, which is essentially enforced unpaid leave.

In this case though a grant of 80% per employee up to the cap is being given to allow that much to be paid during the furlough period.

Employers aren’t obliged to pay the 20% on top, though some may.

The negotiations required are more that most contracts of employment in the U.K. won’t allow for furloughing in the first place, so amendments to contracts will probably have to be agreed.

Maybe bringing forward next years season tickets ( optional of course ) would bring in some revenue.

At this moment in time every single family only needs enough to live on till this is eventually over. We aren't going anywhere to spend money other than food and pay bill's.( ps why are energy companies not being told to massively discount all our Bill's?) Contracts etc are out the window for the time being, this is way to serious to be talking about should someone be paid thousands of pounds a week

I think this could be a factor come next season not sure how TV, Sponsorship and Competition money is divvied up, they may already have been paid out for this season, but can see companies attempting to withhold/renegotiate contracts next season if this continues, this really does have the ability to reset global football, short term at least.

Maybe bringing forward next years season tickets ( optional of course ) would bring in some revenue.

We don't know when the season will start and even for how long. It would wrong of the Club to ask for ST money in this time of great uncertainty.

Perhaps the players should step in and assist by taking a reduction or even a deferment on a % of their salary.

The Club cannot sustain such an extended close season.

why should they take a pay cut they have signed a legally binding contract. would you take a pay cut at your work ? the more you earn the more you spend. they will have million pounds houses/ apartments etc and nice cars and so they should. it’s a no for me.

I’ve already had to take a cut and pray the airline I work for survives. Why should footballers on vulgar wages by comparison be any different?

I honestly can’t believe how confusing so many find this thread.

OP is suggesting that the players take a 20% drop in wages.

Also, suggesting that the Club claims £2500 per player in the post above this is fucking mental, and the type of mentality that’s wrong right now. Folk are desperately concerned about their family lives and some want to take money that could help real people in need. Mental!

No but the club should be claiming the £2500/month for every single player.

Why, would they have to lay the players off otherwise.

I can see why they may be able to do it with other employees who are on permanent contracts.

However I don't see how it would work for a football player on a fixed term contract.

Why, would they have to lay the players off otherwise.

I can see why they may be able to do it with other employees who are on permanent contracts.

However I don't see how it would work for a football player on a fixed term contract.

I assume they are like any other employee, we don't need them currently to do what they are employed to do so we can furlough them.

Maybe that's not the case, I don't know the ins and outs of it.

Back