Should we be worried about players with one eye on the exit door.

They came here as professional footballers to win trophies. They are eight games away from winning a treble. If that is not enough incentive then what has the effort they have put into training since schooldays been all about? If you achieve nothing.

Surely if your next option is relegation fodder in England/Italy/Germany, or a side from an even greater backwater - you’re probably quite motivated to seize the opportunity to win something if it’s likely to be the only time in your career?

We're now at the nitty gritty end of the League, after Sunday's capitulation to Ross County, every game in our last six is probably a 'must win' (alongside our hopefully two Scottish Cup Ties). We obviously need every player to get their sleeves up and give 100% if we're to have any chance of success, but in all honesty I am a bit apprehensive of some of the players coming to the end of their contracts. As we all know, Barasic has sorted out his future in Turkey, so if he plays more games is he likely to 'put in' that hard important tackle, or more likely to think twice because he's not going to risk it. John Lundstrum's another, he had a poor start to the season, but improved vastly under PC, but has looked 'off it' the last few games. There's still no definite decision (as far as I know) as to whether he's staying or going, so he's also in the same category as Borna. It's common sense that if his future's still not settled, is he going to 'go into the tackles' as he previously has, or is there going to be a bit more indecisiveness. To have any chance of success, we need our players to fight for the jersey, so should we be looking to give other players (some of the young guys) the opportunity, as we need 'all the team' to be fully committed. Obviously there's other players in this situation, but I was just wondering what others think. I posted on another thread a couple of days ago that at present we don't appear to have the bottle, guile and self-belief to win the six remaining matches, it's not gonnae improve if players have one eye on the 'exit door'.

I’m worried about a lack of paragraphs.

Honestly though, if players have one eye on the door rather than a treble then GTF out of Rangers.

Butland’s form has dropped off a cliff since the England call up fiasco. Odd to see Rangers linked with a goalkeeper last week as well.

I have a nagging feeling that getting back into the England setup is a massive ambition of Butland and I really hope he hasn’t been spun a line by Southgate about playing in Scotland being a barrier to that.

Really? He’s had some clangers yes but he’s also the reason we’ve not lost even more goals with some absolutely cracking saves during horror shows.

Do you think Lundstram is eyeing up the exit door or just reverting to type ?

This is the third manager he's, shall we say, relaxed his efforts with. This is what he does.
Lundstram was almost gushing in his praise of Clement not so long ago and was clearly revelling in the trust shown to him by the manager. It’d be a little strange then if, with a title within touching distance, he’s suddenly decided to chuck it?

To me he just looks gubbed. We were saying a few weeks ago he badly needed a rest after all the effort he’d put in, but now performances are on the slide he’s back to being the perennial whipping boy.

That isn’t necessarily aimed at you by the way, and I’m fully of the opinion that whether he decides to sign a new deal or not we need to upgrade him in the summer, but unless something’s gone on behind the scenes we don’t know about, I think it’s a bit unfair to lump him in with the likes of Barisic.

Lundstram simply doesn't have the legs to track runners, and if he plays in the next derby, this will be brutally exposed.

I have gradually moved myself into the camp of not offering him a new deal as he'll be as slow as a week in the jail next season.
It’s possibly contractual if we’ve offered extended terms that he think’s unacceptable.

Nevertheless we don’t need so called “Senior” players chucking it at this stage of the season and if there is truth in this Clement must be ruthless.

This guy has previous under the last two Managers.

To me he just looks gubbed. We were saying a few weeks ago he badly needed a rest after all the effort he’d put in, but now performances are on the slide he’s back to being the perennial whipping boy.
I agree he was looking tired after 60 just before the international break.

Sundays display from him and others was St Johnstone the week before we sacked Gio.

Its a fair point but i think and hope the Manager will know who is committed to the cause at this stage and pick the team accordingly.
Looking at some of the starting eleven for the last couple games I am not so sure he does because Lundstrum is strolling about the pitch as if he is out walking his dug.

I don’t know if Lundstrams just knackered but I was disgusted watching him track that runner for the 3rd goal and just give up, he could’ve easily stopped it going in if he just followed his man. Either he was done in and needs to tell Clement he needs taken off or else he’s lost motivation. Either way it changed my mind a bit on whether he’s worth a high paying contact for another few years, it was nowhere near good enough, he just let the guy run off him and score.

The less said about Barasic the better, I’d play a youngster before him. His head clearly isn’t in it anymore.

Where is the risk to a player who has signed a contract with another club, or a player already here with a contract anyway

Talk is Barasic has agreed a lucrative deal with Trabzonspor, whether he's signed a Pre-contract, I honestly couldn't say. While I'm no expert on the financial side of football, I would think that if he gets injured playing for Rangers, there might be an impact on the contract he was offered. There's also been some talk that Lundstrum's been offered a huge contract by Trabzonspor as well, which might be on his mind. If so, he should have played his last game for Rangers, we need 100% focus and effort off our players, not 2nd rate Cameos. Regarding the players who are already in the team, have a contract and are not producing the goods, that's for Philippe Clement to sort out. Personally, if there's any player in that squad that's not up for a fight to gain success for Rangers, they would never kick a ball again wearing a Rangers Jersey and would 'be out', whenever that Transfer Window opens. These guys need to appreciate the privilege and opportunity they've been given in playing for Rangers, if they're not up to it, get them out at the first opportunity.

There’s no nitty gritty , The leagues done , to many players are petrified from parkheed

I know where you're coming from mate, but we've got to hope that enough of them have the cajones to get things back on track and show a bit of savvy, If there's not enough of them to compete, then we have a far bigger problem than worry about 'just this season.

Not talking about Lundstram or Barisic but when will other players who are not in Phil's plans get told to find a new club? There were rumours in January that Dowell wanted out. I'm guessing there will be a few others told they are not needed.

If players are in two minds about playing kick them out. We want winners who want to be here and committed to the club.

Realistically where does the core players of our side move too?

Tav gets crazy stats yet no one ever took a chance on him so doubt they will now he’s older.
Goldson was literally a free agent and we were his best option
Likes of Butland and lundstram possibly wouldn’t have been here in the first place if the had prem offers (1st team not 3rd choice at Man Utd)

Don’t think anyone has showed anything to Merit a decent move possibly sterling but he would need to do it over course a season

Lundstram was almost gushing in his praise of Clement not so long ago and was clearly revelling in the trust shown to him by the manager. It’d be a little strange then if, with a title within touching distance, he’s suddenly decided to chuck it?

That isn’t necessarily aimed at you by the way, and I’m fully of the opinion that whether he decides to sign a new deal or not we need to upgrade him in the summer, but unless something’s gone on behind the scenes we don’t know about, I think it’s a bit unfair to lump him in with the likes of Barisic.

He's just had a rest over the international break.

He's been pish since the Motherwell game.

Have hesitated to start a thread on this very subject since Ross County.

Adding up what I’ve watched for the last month and a bit I think it is unquestionable that certain players know (officially) their time at Rangers is ending and theyve totally checked out.

It doesnt just affect those players when this stuff starts.
It looks that way to me too, I just hope the manager can suss it out and not rely on anyone who’s not 100% committed AND also get a major reaction from the group after that garbage on Sunday? He must be raging with a good few in that team after that performance.

This is the third manager he's, shall we say, relaxed his efforts with. This is what he does.

I don’t think it’s relaxing his efforts

He plays above his level for a period as all players can then reverts to his normal level and effort levels

No disagreement from me there, but I do think the reason for that is that he’s more or less run himself into the ground rather than chucked it.

If it’s the latter, it bucks all the praise he and others were heaping on Clement for the positive vibe he’d created at the club since arriving.

We're now at the nitty gritty end of the League, after Sunday's capitulation to Ross County, every game in our last six is probably a 'must win' (alongside our hopefully two Scottish Cup Ties). We obviously need every player to get their sleeves up and give 100% if we're to have any chance of success, but in all honesty I am a bit apprehensive of some of the players coming to the end of their contracts. As we all know, Barasic has sorted out his future in Turkey, so if he plays more games is he likely to 'put in' that hard important tackle, or more likely to think twice because he's not going to risk it. John Lundstrum's another, he had a poor start to the season, but improved vastly under PC, but has looked 'off it' the last few games. There's still no definite decision (as far as I know) as to whether he's staying or going, so he's also in the same category as Borna. It's common sense that if his future's still not settled, is he going to 'go into the tackles' as he previously has, or is there going to be a bit more indecisiveness. To have any chance of success, we need our players to fight for the jersey, so should we be looking to give other players (some of the young guys) the opportunity, as we need 'all the team' to be fully committed. Obviously there's other players in this situation, but I was just wondering what others think. I posted on another thread a couple of days ago that at present we don't appear to have the bottle, guile and self-belief to win the six remaining matches, it's not gonnae improve if players have one eye on the 'exit door'.
It’s gone, the first half of the OF game killed us and Dingwall nailed the coffin.

I don’t believe many of them ever had the levels of character and commitment you’re worried they don’t reach over the next month.
Why? cos we haven’t beaten the Tims in a game that matters since Aug 21.

Have hesitated to start a thread on this very subject since Ross County.

Adding up what I’ve watched for the last month and a bit I think it is unquestionable that certain players know (officially) their time at Rangers is ending and theyve totally checked out.

It doesnt just affect those players when this stuff starts.

I had a similar thought after the game on Sunday.

Whether players have made their own decisions or the Club has made decisions about them, it could explain the shocking approach a fair few took to that game on Sunday.

Disgraceful

It's the old adage. No Rangers men in the team. Miss characters like Jimmy Bell who drummed it into players what it meant to pull on that blue jersey .

The way the manager was talking a few weeks ago, I'd be very surprised if Lundstram hasn't already signed a new contract. If we don't win the league, the reveal of that would go down like a lead balloon.

The way the manager was talking a few weeks ago, I'd be very surprised if Lundstram hasn't already signed a new contract. If we don't win the league, the reveal of that would go down like a lead balloon.
Well, to qoute David Edgar, we've seen this movie before and we know how it ends.

You don't dump these losers then you'll be the one that eventually gets dumped.

I hope to f*** big Phil's smarter than that.

Tell you who'll be delighted if we keep Lundstram for another few years. celtic. Get him moved on ffs

What are you kidding me ,we have guys walking around with no pace or desire and Cantwell gives everything in every game.

Folk are coming up with all sorts of names, let’s compare Lundstram since some are giving him it tight, and Cantwell, from the weekend

Touches Cantwell 75 Lundstram 110

Lost possession Cantwell 20 Lundstram 12

Accurate passes Cantwell 35/43 (81%) Lundstram 84/93 (90%)

Tbh

This is the problem with how we have managed the squad for years

We should not be letting players get into a position with 18 months left on their contracts if we want to keep them they sign a new deal or they actively get punted.

It's being severe bad Management by not just the football side of things but the board.

It ultimately has resulted in the loss of Gerrard and Gio both while being financially damaging.

The manager may want to keep players and there is some that you can argue for but when bids came in for Alfie/ kent with 2 years the board should take that out of the managers hands.

Either the player signs an extended deal or they are sold is as simple as that the player might not go as is there right but most of the time they will as they get signing on fees etc

By not doing it the squad doesn't change and allows to stagnate every season you should have at least 2/3 / players coming in that are improving the squad and 3/4 that are potential

Clement has spoken about this, he said its the first time in his career he's come across a situation, like the one we're facing this summer. Which says it all.

It's never happened to him, I presume Belgian clubs are more keenly aware of the dangers of a Bosman :)) and sell players who are heading into the last years of their deals in order to balance the books. What a novel concept that is. We should maybe give it a go.

Hoping it's something we see less and less of under Koppen. The trading model isn't just selling players for huge profit. It's getting money for old rope and investing that money into the squad.

Folk are coming up with all sorts of names, let’s compare Lundstram since some are giving him it tight, and Cantwell, from the weekend

Touches Cantwell 75 Lundstram 110

Lost possession Cantwell 20 Lundstram 12

Accurate passes Cantwell 35/43 (81%) Lundstram 84/93 (90%)
You want stats of some of our senior players passing to the opposition especially the scum check the the so called senior players that no club wants but we make heroes of and who will always stop us from successful.

I think the Motherwell game has been forgotten by most including myself due to the Tim’s getting pumped the following day and the break.

We have been written since then and I can’t see that changing any time soon

The weekend was down to Clement and Clement alone.

He got out of jail the week before as really we could’ve and should’ve been 4 down by halftime. All because he picked the wrong team.

He done the same at the weekend, we were atrocious but still managed to take the lead, their goal/goals were coming, when was the last time in domestic football we conceded 3 goals in 12 minutes. amateur level p!sh.

He chopped and changed Yilmaz and Barisic and finally decided to drop Barisic, it was clear conversations had taken place and he didn’t want Barisic. So forget this nonsense of being professional, the Manager has made it clear he doesn’t want you, you’re moving on to your last contract you ain’t going above and beyond to jeopardise that as a stand in because no one else was available. Terrible management. Don’t even get me started on playing a half fit Dowell, or taking off the two recognised strikers you’ve been using when chasing a goal.

You want stats of some of our senior players passing to the opposition especially the scum check the the so called senior players that no club wants but we make heroes of and who will always stop us from successful.
Same 2 players that constantly and consistently gift them chances, goals, points, titles.

It's been glaringly obvious in the 13 games against them since Gerrard left.

The players we should be worrying about,

Why did Butland turn in to McGregor from the 3-3 game up there where everything almost straight at him resulted in a goal and his kicking looked like he had his boots on the wrong feet.

Why does Tav lead the team out on to the pitch looking like he can’t be bothered and will turn up when he wakes up. He’ll certainly not get any gigs doing motivational speaking when he gives up football. Also Why does he not leave his caravan at home instead of towing it around the pitch.

Why has Goldson gone all vegan an turned in to a limp lettuce getting bullied by pretty much everyone.

Why are we still,persisting with the Silva wide experiment when it worked once out of the last 7 games and of which we have only won 2.

I’ll be honest if we take Lundstram out that midfield who are we putting in ? He is pretty much our midfield, yes he should’ve had Sterling in beside him but he is getting asked to plug gaps all over the place. Dowell isn’t fit, Raskin obviously isn’t rated, Lawrence doesn’t look fit, Dio stubbed his thumb, Jack is getting saved for next season, don’t quite know where Lowry is

Clement gave the impression he would play youth but won’t play King who let’s be honest has played RB, LB, CH and midfield and performed better than some Clement just can’t drop, and is also holding back Rice, and McKinnon.

Ross County never beat us because they had better players, they just had younger fitter hungrier players.

Why did Butland turn in to McGregor from the 3-3 game up there where everything almost straight at him resulted in a goal and his kicking looked like he had his boots on the wrong feet.

Why does Tav lead the team out on to the pitch looking like he can’t be bothered and will turn up when he wakes up. He’ll certainly not get any gigs doing motivational speaking when he gives up football. Also Why does he not leave his caravan at home instead of towing it around the pitch.

Why has Goldson gone all vegan an turned in to a limp lettuce getting bullied by pretty much everyone.

Why are we still,persisting with the Silva wide experiment when it worked once out of the last 7 games and of which we have only won 2.

I’ll be honest if we take Lundstram out that midfield who are we putting in ? He is pretty much our midfield, yes he should’ve had Sterling in beside him but he is getting asked to plug gaps all over the place. Dowell isn’t fit, Raskin obviously isn’t rated, Lawrence doesn’t look fit, Dio stubbed his thumb, Jack is getting saved for next season, don’t quite know where Lowry is

Clement gave the impression he would play youth but won’t play King who let’s be honest has played RB, LB, CH and midfield and performed better than some Clement just can’t drop, and is also holding back Rice, and McKinnon.

Ross County never beat us because they had better players, they just had younger fitter hungrier players.

So was it the players or was it Clement alone at fault?.

Make your mind up

Players with one eye on the exit door, should be good for us, they're in the shop window after all.
Barisic couldn't have given a lesser %^*& on Sunday if he tried. It actually really surprised me.

I wouldn't play Roofe either, he's a broken nail away from not getting a contract down South next season. The likes of Matondo ahead of Silva also.

Only 2 players from the Ross County starting lineup from Sunday are contracted to next season also. They seemed to have the hunger and fight despite that too.

Back