Six years ago today Stevie G became our manager

Malmo was a poor result but we've had great teams that have had poor results in Europe. The team he had his results in Europe was actually very good and I'm fairly certain had we backed him after winning 55 we'd have went through against Malmo.
What, in essence, you are saying is that the squad that was a penalty shootout from winning the EL, wasn't good enough to beat Malmo?

What, in essence, you are saying is that the squad that was a penalty shootout from winning the EL, wasn't good enough to beat Malmo?
No in essance what I'm saying is not strengthening after winning 55 was a huge mistake and had we done so we'd likely have got past Malmo.

No in essance what I'm saying is not strengthening after winning 55 was a huge mistake and had we done so we'd likely have got past Malmo.
Does that mean that the squad he already had, that got to the EL Final, led 1-0 at half time, wasn't good enough to win the rest of that game against Malmo, who already had a man sent off by that point?

So you actually are saying what the guy accused you of then….

Does that mean that the squad he already had, that got to the EL Final, led 1-0 at half time, wasn't good enough to win the rest of that game against Malmo, who already had a man sent off by that point?
Malmo was a poor result especially when they were down to 10 men. I'm just saying had we strengthened we'd have had a better chance of going through that tie. The same squad that got us to Seville went on to become statistically the worse team to participate in the champions league and again that was largely due to not strengthening.

What's your opinion on his European record whilst he was in charge?
Why are you deflecting though? You were essentially saying the the squad that made a EL weren’t good enough to beat Malmo.

Why are you deflecting though? You were essentially saying the the squad that made a EL weren’t good enough to beat Malmo.
I didn't say that I said we'd have improved our chances had we strengthed. I'm asking your opinion on how we did in Europe overall when Gerrard was in charge as most comments on this thread show that many believe he gave us our standards back and had us respected again.

Malmo was a poor result especially when they were down to 10 men. I'm just saying had we strengthened we'd have had a better chance of going through that tie. The same squad that got us to Seville went on to become statistically the worse team to participate in the champions league and again that was largely due to not strengthening.
I understand that point, but looking at Gerrard's time here has to be looked at completely, in my opinion. For instance, Scott Airfield I think it was that said we should have won the League two seasons earlier than we did; and we had other opportunities- the failure to capitalise on the League title win could have even happened immediately, in the European tie the following week; even still, Gerrard had a huge opportunity in that Malmö game, and we blew it, as did Van Bronckhorst in the League that season. Time will tell if, at last, we have now found the manager we need who will take the opportunities that comes with winning things and pushing on; I have my doubts that we have, but we'll see.

I didn't say that I said we'd have improved our chances had we strengthed. I'm asking your opinion on how we did in Europe overall when Gerrard was in charge as most comments on this thread show that many believe he gave us our standards back and had us respected again.
You said if we strengthened we’d have likely got past Malmo? Point was that same squad ended up in a European final that same season, it clearly didn’t need strengthening to be able to get past Malmo, it just had to be better managed. They weren’t a great outfit and we had a man advantage at home. But you didn’t address that you just asked me what I thought of his European record. And overall it was very good, I don’t think anyone can dispute that, games against Porto and Feyenoord had me beaming with pride. But that doesn’t make Malmo any less of a failure though.

You said if we strengthened we’d have likely got past Malmo? Point was that same squad ended up in a European final that same season, it clearly didn’t need strengthening to be able to get past Malmo, it just had to be better managed. They weren’t a great outfit and we had a man advantage at home. But you didn’t address that you just asked me what I thought of his European record. And overall it was very good, that doesn’t make Malmo any less of a failure though.
I didn't deny Malmo was a failure as it was a huge failure especially against 10 men.

We didn't back him, but had a side capable of getting to the EL Final? If anything, it proves that his failure to beat Malmo was not good enough.
For me they are 2 very different managers. Gerrard could get the players motivated for the league old firm games and get the results under that pressure, Gio on the other hand was able to produce tactics to get us through European knockout games.

Had Gerrard stayed I think we would have won the league that year but we probably don't get past Dortmund in the knockout stages. Both of them were good Rangers managers but one excelled domestically while the other was in Europe.

If the board had supported him during the close season after 55, he would not have left. We would have won 56 that season and the club would be in a much better place today.

Back