Sky sports launching sky sports+ streaming service

uneasydaz

Sky Sports+ will give more choice to sports fans via live streams and a new dedicated channel, at no extra cost.

Launching this August, Sky Sports+ will be transformational in the amount of choice sports fans will have access to via live streams on Sky TV, streaming service NOW and the improved Sky Sports App on mobile.

With more coverage than ever before from the EFL, both tennis Tours and men's Super League, Sky Sports customers can enjoy more than 50% more live sport this year.

Sky Sports+ will make it easier for fans to browse, discover and watch the sport they love, while the dedicated Sky Sports+ linear channel will showcase a selection of the best live sport.

Highlights include:

• Four times as many matches from the EFL with all 72 teams featured more than 20 times per season.
  • Every match from the men's Super League.
  • Coverage from the ATP & WTA Tours and US Open Tennis.
  • PGA Tour golf and more.
  • Exclusive access to Sky's great sports documentaries.
  • Sky Sports+ offers the capability to show up to 100 events concurrently.
  • Customers can enjoy over 50% more live sport this year.
  • All of this comes at no extra cost.
The scale of Sky Sports+ will be evident from the opening weekend of the 2024/25 EFL season, with every game from across all three divisions - the Championship, League One and League Two - streamed live, a first in broadcasting history.

Sky Sports+ comes at the start of a new long-term and landmark partnership with the EFL, with more than 1,000 EFL games a season featuring every team more than 20 times, and every Championship club on at least 24 occasions.

Jonathan Licht, Managing Director at Sky Sports, said: "Exceptional sport, covered in an innovative and compelling way, has been a big part of our history. With the introduction of Sky Sports+, we are now able to offer sport fans more choice and an even better experience when watching the live action, at no extra cost.

"For the first time, we will broadcast every game live from across the EFL on the opening weekend. It's going to be a huge moment for football fans up and down the country and is a fitting way to kick-off our ground-breaking new partnership with the EFL.

"And this is just the beginning; Sky Sports+ unlocks the potential for us to keep evolving and finding new ways to deliver brilliant sport to our customers."

It's not just greater choice that subscribers can look forward to; Sky Sports+ will give exclusive access to Sky's great sports documentaries, such as the much-anticipated Darts documentary, two weeks before anyone else.

With new and enhanced features, the viewing experience will be more immersive for fans, giving greater optionality on how they watch their favourite sport. Live pause and rewind will be available on all concurrent streams, and the 'Recap' feature currently available for Premier League and Championship games will also be made available for EFL games shown on the Sky Sports+ linear channel.

Once live, customers with a full Sky Sports subscription won't need to do a thing; Sky Sports+ will simply drop into the existing Sky experience, across Sky Glass, Sky Stream, Sky Q, and NOW.

The revamped Sky Sports App will also become the ultimate home of sports streaming on mobile devices with Sky Sports+ streams accessible via event centres in the app.

New personalisation features will help fans follow their favourite teams and competitions more easily. An improved multi-sports scores section will offer fixtures, live scores and an extended view beyond the usual seven-day football calendar. Refreshed design and navigation, including a much-requested dark mode will improve usability.

For instant, contract-free access to all Sky Sports channels, non-Sky subscribers can purchase a NOW Sports Day or Month Membership.

From August, this will also include every single live Sky Sports+ stream and on demand catch-up content. As part of the Sky Sports+ launch, NOW members will also be able to pause and rewind live sports content for the first time.

The full Sky Sports package includes an unrivalled line-up of sport and record audiences tuned in during 2023. Football fans can watch more coverage of domestic leagues with Sky Sports than any other broadcaster, including Premier League, EFL, SPFL, and WSL.

Through long-term deals, sport fans can continue to enjoy award-winning coverage of Formula 1 and cricket. 2024 has also seen the return of tennis and a ground-breaking Super League deal where every match will be covered live.

This, on top every golf Major, NFL, netball, darts, boxing, summer rugby union internationals, means that Sky Sports has something for every sports fan.

Geared towards everyone eventually havin no hardware, just sky streaming app. It will save them millions on production costs of Q boxes, etc.
For that to work they need to provide chrome cast or Amazon stick access. It’s not clear from that whether it will be the case or not and given it’s something that Dicovery do with TNT Sports, they really should be

If they penny pinch and use the same technology as now people will be getting alerts on mobile before they see it.

Other companies have latency down to 5 seconds.

Theres no longer an excuse for 40 seconds delay.
aye nothing pisses me off more, I have a neighbour in the floor above our maisonette who's one of them, with his son coming over i'm going to know long before I see it on my now TV stream if they score, suppose gives me some warning of the impending doom before it plays out in front of me, so pros and cons
It's less NOWTV more 40 secs after now!

If they penny pinch and use the same technology as now people will be getting alerts on mobile before they see it.

Other companies have latency down to 5 seconds.

Theres no longer an excuse for 40 seconds delay.

6. Latency Cut On Sky Sports​

Finally, EntertainmentOS 1.3 will bring a monumental upgrade for sports fans. Sky Sports Main Event viewers will soon be able to watch the channel in Low Latency, reducing the time between the action on the pitch and watching on your Sky Glass or Stream. Latency has been reduced by 22 seconds, which means you'll be able to watch your favourite sports faster than many other streaming services.

Sky TV told GB News that the delay between the action in the stadium and the broadcast in your home will now be almost indistinguishable between Sky Stream and Sky Glass, which stream content over the internet, and traditional satellite-powered boxes like Sky+ HD and Sky Q.

Sky TV went back to basics and looks for improvements in every part of the pipeline — from its own cameras in football grounds across the UK, to the broadcast technology, to the software that powers Sky Stream and Sky Glass.

The upgrade will only be available to Sky Sports Main Event viewers in the coming weeks. Sky hopes to bring its lower latency broadcasts to other Sky Sports channels later this year.

Unfortunately, since this is a proprietary technology developed by Sky TV to work with its systems, there won't be any improvement to the delay when watching live sports coverage on the BBC, ITV, or TNT Sports.

As such, you'll need to switch off notifications from apps or group chats when watching on any of these services as they'll continue to suffer from the industry-standard streaming delay of roughly 30 seconds

All they need to do is release an app for the firestick / android tv / PS5 / XBox etc etc where you can stream all their channels from. I'm guessing that's the way they are heading eventually, but no idea why its taking them so long to do it when most other major providers manage it OK.

6. Latency Cut On Sky Sports​

Finally, EntertainmentOS 1.3 will bring a monumental upgrade for sports fans. Sky Sports Main Event viewers will soon be able to watch the channel in Low Latency, reducing the time between the action on the pitch and watching on your Sky Glass or Stream. Latency has been reduced by 22 seconds, which means you'll be able to watch your favourite sports faster than many other streaming services.

Sky TV told GB News that the delay between the action in the stadium and the broadcast in your home will now be almost indistinguishable between Sky Stream and Sky Glass, which stream content over the internet, and traditional satellite-powered boxes like Sky+ HD and Sky Q.

Sky TV went back to basics and looks for improvements in every part of the pipeline — from its own cameras in football grounds across the UK, to the broadcast technology, to the software that powers Sky Stream and Sky Glass.

The upgrade will only be available to Sky Sports Main Event viewers in the coming weeks. Sky hopes to bring its lower latency broadcasts to other Sky Sports channels later this year.

Unfortunately, since this is a proprietary technology developed by Sky TV to work with its systems, there won't be any improvement to the delay when watching live sports coverage on the BBC, ITV, or TNT Sports.

As such, you'll need to switch off notifications from apps or group chats when watching on any of these services as they'll continue to suffer from the industry-standard streaming delay of roughly 30 seconds
Is there an article you can link. Looks interesting.

This is all a bit meh as Sky have given up on the Champions League and the Europa League. Now if cutting latency got rid of some of their god-awful pundits that would be an improvement.

aye nothing pisses me off more, I have a neighbour in the floor above our maisonette who's one of them, with his son coming over i'm going to know long before I see it on my now TV stream if they score, suppose gives me some warning of the impending doom before it plays out in front of me, so pros and cons
The very reason I wear headphones.

This is better but expect it will be worse for second part of season in the EFL. Quite pleased by this with following a Championship side, least you know where you stand with dates and times up till Jan before start of season.

How long in advance will I know about fixture changes?

All live matches selected for broadcast up to the FA Cup third Round in January 2025 will be communicated before the start of the season.

Live league matches in August and September will be released first, by early July.

Greater parity in the number of times that clubs are selected for TV coverage is also guaranteed.

Last edited:
In summary, loads more live games with diddy English teams? Is that right? Can't see anything else in that list that's new?

Most of it has been known for a good while.

This is your typical weekend:

Each League weekend fixture round will see 10 live EFL fixtures shown.

Five matches will be shown from the Sky Bet Championship and supporters of Sky Bet League One and League Two teams will now benefit from greater coverage than ever before with five of their games being broadcast live.

Also:

For the first time ever, fans will be also able to watch every match from the Carabao Cup and EFL Trophy.

The best way to combat using a Firestick is stop raping people financially

Think that's the plan with their sky glass as that gets folk a new TV. Interesting to see how it plays out as will save a fortune on the sky q box / installs and they are getting rid of most of their engineers.

Had a look and it's 40 quid a month roughly for their entertainment pack, sky sports and netflix along with the TV.

Geared towards everyone eventually havin no hardware, just sky streaming app. It will save them millions on production costs of Q boxes, etc.
Remember I discussed this on here a few years ago and the response was I was talking shite :D

With cheap WiFi able to stream in UHD there's no need for the boxes.

Remember I discussed this on here a few years ago and the response was I was talking shite :D

There is if your internet signal still isn’t great.

My internet signal is fine but I’ll still be keeping Sky Q until they force me to get rid of it. I still find their UHD better than streaming, and quicker to access. Plus no buffering ever, which can still be an occasional issue at very popular things

The Q boxes and their accompanying dishes are already phased out. It’s Sky Glass now and Sky Stream pucks that turn any modern TV set into a Sky Glass equivalent (in terms of interface and content).

Glass and Stream were a Godsend when we bought our new house almost 3 years ago and the trees behind the house meant we couldn’t get a satellite signal.

Anyone paying a fortune to SKY every month is off their nut IMO

I pay pretty much full price for Sky.

And on an individual level, I accept the argument above. But if absolutely everyone started to watch games via streams on whatever devices for £80 a year that isn't going towards the broadcasters, there will be no football to watch very, very quickly.

Given our status in the game these days, we'll suffer from any sort of financial hit football takes from the growing popularity of pirate streams more than most. I accept there's a fair argument for it being overpriced - I think just about everything around football is now, don't get me started on Rangers tickets for European games - but if there's no profit incentive for the broadcasters, they'll stop showing it, and I enjoy watching a lot of football.

My internet signal is fine but I’ll still be keeping Sky Q until they force me to get rid of it. I still find their UHD better than streaming, and quicker to access. Plus no buffering ever, which can still be an occasional issue at very popular things
Yeah it still has a purpose for now, it was when I got rid of sky when I couldn't be arsed arguing for the discount I invested into proper hardware for the internet.

It’s not going to happen overnight and not everyone will be able to do it but even if only 90% take it up it will maximise their profits and reduce their outgoings for hardware, installation costs, etc. They may even offer a discount for streaming only.

Also non red for installation personnel, vans, pensions, etc. might get a full sky package for £50 a year like some other “providers” do!!!

You must have been helluva confused at kick off at the last game :D

I've got Sky Stream and it's crap ! Get lots of " your program is loading " when you change channel and you get lots of jumpback moments, you know when somebody says something then it skips back to the same line and you hear it again. My puck is hardwired into router so it's not a wifi problem, lots of people on Sky forums moaning about it.

The Q boxes and their accompanying dishes are already phased out. It’s Sky Glass now and Sky Stream pucks that turn any modern TV set into a Sky Glass equivalent (in terms of interface and content).

Glass and Stream were a Godsend when we bought our new house almost 3 years ago and the trees behind the house meant we couldn’t get a satellite signal.

I have a recent sky Q deal but they kept trying to force glass and stream instead. It was much cheaper but no better than the "alternatives" for watching sport due to the delay.

Good to see they are addressing this and hopefully the hardware and personnel savings get passed onto us. I can't see any new dish installs by the time my current package runs out in a couple of years.

And on an individual level, I accept the argument above. But if absolutely everyone started to watch games via streams on whatever devices for £80 a year that isn't going towards the broadcasters, there will be no football to watch very, very quickly.

Given our status in the game these days, we'll suffer from any sort of financial hit football takes from the growing popularity of pirate streams more than most. I accept there's a fair argument for it being overpriced - I think just about everything around football is now, don't get me started on Rangers tickets for European games - but if there's no profit incentive for the broadcasters, they'll stop showing it, and I enjoy watching a lot of football.
On the basis that basically all your sky money is going to English football would that be such a bad thing?

I have a recent sky Q deal but they kept trying to force glass and stream instead. It was much cheaper but no better than the "alternatives" for watching sport due to the delay.

Good to see they are addressing this and hopefully the hardware and personnel savings get passed onto us. I can't see any new dish installs by the time my current package runs out in a couple of years.
I have some magic beans for sale if you like.

Not a chance from Sky, mostly likely go up next time they renegotiate an EPL deal.

My main and only real gripe with Sky is the quality of the presenters/commentators. TNT now have the best in McCoist and others. I, like you, have zero issue paying for the service that works well for me 100% of the time. I have football to watch more days than not.

Sorry mate not having that, if no one paid it then the price would come down.

Sorry mate not having that, if no one paid it then the price would come down.

It would still never be low enough to satisfy the people who want to pay next to nothing though. So most wouldn't change from £80 a year or the likes to £20 a month even if they were getting all the games at that price.

And when the money falls out of the game, as it would if prices shot down, who pays? The match going fans would be charged more, the have-nots in football would have even less (and we're in that bracket in a worldwide sense), and the game just gets worse. Taking money out of anything rarely leads to things getting better, I'd argue.

On the basis that basically all your sky money is going to English football would that be such a bad thing?

If the English game crashed financially (which it never will of course but this is all hypothetical), the trickle-down effect on the rest of football would be huge. As above, when does taking millions out of anything make it better?

I also don't see English football as some big evil, if we're only talking in football terms.

If the English game crashed financially (which it never will of course but this is all hypothetical), the trickle-down effect on the rest of football would be huge. As above, when does taking millions out of anything make it better?

I also don't see English football as some big evil, if we're only talking in football terms.
The money in the English game has completely marginalised football in many countries throughout Europe, with Scotland & Rangers impacted significantly. Anything that would help dent it would be welcome in my eyes

Back