Sky sports launching sky sports+ streaming service

It would still never be low enough to satisfy the people who want to pay next to nothing though. So most wouldn't change from £80 a year or the likes to £20 a month even if they were getting all the games at that price.

And when the money falls out of the game, as it would if prices shot down, who pays? The match going fans would be charged more, the have-nots in football would have even less (and we're in that bracket in a worldwide sense), and the game just gets worse. Taking money out of anything rarely leads to things getting better, I'd argue.
It would be a good thing for the Scottish game as the arse would fall out of the EPL and drag it closer to us. The only reason they are untouchable for us is the money SKY pour into them compared to the pennies they give us.

It would be a good thing for the Scottish game as the arse would fall out of the EPL and drag it closer to us. The only reason they are untouchable for us is the money SKY pour into them compared to the pennies they give us.
Sky along with other broadcasters worldwide put the money in

Domestically they have bid for the rights via tender process and the EPL is basically Sky's business - lose that and it would have dramatic effect on it

We don't have the same process given who runs the game and the clubs themselves

Scrap the 3pm backout and put all non televised SPFL games on this streaming service.
Scrapping is one thing but you would need the broadcaster to pay for rights

So that leads back the clubs to scrap the blackout and ensure they maximize the broadcast income and given right now that ain't happening

EPL, EFL, SPFL FA Cup deals all end in 2029 so the scrapping the blackout may happen

Rugby League teams from England plus France currently

It went from been a winter sport to a summer sport in 1996 with help of a broadcast deal with Sky
Thanks for that, I thought they might have been referring to darts, never occurred to me they were talking about rugby.

Sky along with other broadcasters worldwide put the money in

Domestically they have bid for the rights via tender process and the EPL is basically Sky's business - lose that and it would have dramatic effect on it

We don't have the same process given who runs the game and the clubs themselves
Which is why i'd like to see the arse fall out of the EPL due to their TV money being cut.

Which is why i'd like to see the arse fall out of the EPL due to their TV money being cut.
Yeah might take a while for it to drop unless they decide to go their own way like a streaming service

The EPL was set up to bring in like of broadcast income and maximize that and it has done that, currently bringing over £9bn over a 3 season period

It has also allowed club to market themselves better because of it

The EFL are playing catch=up but they are doing on their own terms and this new deal is £187m a season domestically

Broadcast income is vital to the game now whatever the country

If they don't no 3pm on opening day can't see that
I think the Saturday afternoon blackout's days are numbered, certainly in England. There's so much football on TV these days, most people just aren't bothered anymore. The fans will still watch their local/favourite teams in preference to sitting in front of the TV. You've only got to look at the size of crowds outside of the Premier when they there's a live European or EPL match on, the numbers still seem to be holding up very well.

I think the Saturday afternoon blackout's days are numbered, certainly in England. There's so much football on TV these days, most people just aren't bothered anymore. The fans will still watch their local/favourite teams in preference to sitting in front of the TV. You've only got to look at the size of crowds outside of the Premier when they there's a live European or EPL match on, the numbers still seem to be holding up very well.
As I said in another post it seems that may happen come 2029 as when 4 of the current broadcast end

The EFL look at broadcasting games at 3pm in this new deal but the clubs themselves had concern it have impact of upto £37m in matchday revenue per season

It need the clubs to say yes to no blackout and in 2024 it should n't be happening and nor does it mean every game would be at the same time if you to maximize that broadcast income

I just want Sky Go to work on 5G again. Never works, even with strong signal and other streaming services being fine. Seems deliberate somehow.

I've got Sky Stream and it's crap ! Get lots of " your program is loading " when you change channel and you get lots of jumpback moments, you know when somebody says something then it skips back to the same line and you hear it again. My puck is hardwired into router so it's not a wifi problem, lots of people on Sky forums moaning about it.

I packed up and sent back all my Sky Q kit a few weeks ago. Wasn’t really missing it but as my BT broadband is expiring I just went back with a good bundle deal for Sky Gigafast broadband and Sky Stream. So far, the Stream experience is absolutely fine. No issues here. Everything works as it should, not quite as slick a user experience as an Apple TV 4K box, but good enough and the picture quality is definitely better than it was via Sky Q and the satellite dish.

Just wish they also had European football as I’m not paying another sub for TNT Sports.

There’s no blackout for the first weekend as there aren’t any EPL games that weekend, it doesn’t start till the following weekend.

Someone else said that but there was Premier League Saturday and this one coming and both have live matches during the blackout period.

I have a recent sky Q deal but they kept trying to force glass and stream instead. It was much cheaper but no better than the "alternatives" for watching sport due to the delay.

Good to see they are addressing this and hopefully the hardware and personnel savings get passed onto us. I can't see any new dish installs by the time my current package runs out in a couple of years.
Not sure if serious

They’re the ones who fund Sky and therefore football.

Firestick users? You’re welcome, you thiefs.
Mental how I can see all these games without paying a fortune to Sky and therefore not funding the likes of Luton Town and Sheffield United.

It ended in England on April 20th this season

Up here it is Saturday

So it’s not all controlled by Premier League is it or you’d have have EFL matches live at 3 each season as it always starts a week before.

I want our game to rise up rather than everyone else to be dragged down, personally.

Someone else said that but there was Premier League Saturday and this one coming and both have live matches during the blackout period.
The blackout rule only come into effect when 50% of fixtures in the top two divisions kick off at 3pm.

I want our game to rise up rather than everyone else to be dragged down, personally.
I find it sickening football players are paid 400k a week and hope we are never anything like that and i hope the arse falls right ou of it so football can be football again.

So it’s not all controlled by Premier League is it or you’d have have EFL matches live at 3 each season as it always starts a week before.
In England to applied by the English FA (FA Cup), Premier League & EFL (Championship only)
In Scotland it is applied by the Scottish FA (Scottish Cup)& SPFL (Premiership only)

Needs to 50% of games at Saturday 3pm in these competitions to be enforced on the dates that published by UEFA who supplied by the England FA and Scottish FA

The EFL did look at Saturday 3pm games live as they put every game up for tender

So yes the EFL could do that if no blackout was happening where as you know there is no 3pm EPL contract in the UK

The blackout rule only come into effect when 50% of fixtures in the top two divisions kick off at 3pm.
In England to applied by the English FA, Premier League & EFL - Championship only
In Scotland it is applied by the Scottish FA & SPFL - Premiership only

Needs to 50% of games at Saturday 3pm in these competitions to to be enforced on the dates that published by UEFA who supplied by the England FA and Scottish FA

The EFL did look at Saturday 3pm games live as they put every game up for tender

So yes the EFL could do that if no blackout was happening where as you know there is no 3pm EPL contract in the UK

So they are cheating the system really. Anyway I won’t think about it till they set the times and dates in concrete up to Jan, quite pleased with that side of it all to be honest.

How much is it and how much would it cost me to get the equivalent of the tenner a month I currently spend for EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET?

Grinding the bones of a dying industry. Fu*k 'em.

Yes ive had 6 dodgy sticks over the years and everyone has let me down in some way or form

Don’t pretend those sticks are 100% reliable because they simply aint

I must watch 20 things a month I’ve recorded as well, it’s a godsend for keeping sisters kids busy to.

Scrapping is one thing but you would need the broadcaster to pay for rights

So that leads back the clubs to scrap the blackout and ensure they maximize the broadcast income and given right now that ain't happening

EPL, EFL, SPFL FA Cup deals all end in 2029 so the scrapping the blackout may happen
We currently have non televised Edinburgh derbys, plus the vast majority of Rangers and celtic home games. Broadcasters would jump at the chance to buy the rights.

Maybe selling all games is a bit optimistic but there is 100% scope to get plenty more games shown and plenty more money brought in.

How much is it and how much would it cost me to get the equivalent of the tenner a month I currently spend for EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET?

Grinding the bones of a dying industry. Fu*k 'em.

It nobody paid for sky… there’d be no sky to get on a dodgy stream.

It’s no coincidence that sky subscribers are going down at the same time costs go up.

Yes ive had 6 dodgy sticks over the years and everyone has let me down in some way or form

Don’t pretend those sticks are 100% reliable because they simply aint
Haven't had an problems with mine for months now. Yes you will be a minute behind real time but i'll take that for a saving of around £900 a year and also getting alot more than my SKY package gave me.

It nobody paid for sky… there’d be no sky to get on a dodgy stream.

It’s no coincidence that sky subscribers are going down at the same time costs go up.

It's definitely a weird situation.

I'd say there will always be space for sporting events on TV, if only for the advertising space it represents.

Maybe we'll move towards club-specific channels , which I'd happy pay for given all I really watch on sports channels are Rangers.

We currently have non televised Edinburgh derbys, plus the vast majority of Rangers and celtic home games. Broadcasters would jump at the chance to buy the rights.

Maybe selling all games is a bit optimistic but there is 100% scope to get plenty more games shown and plenty more money brought in.
Yes I know and that is down the 4 home game quota (5 from next season) that is set by the clubs basically Rangers and Celtic since it would mainly those home games picked as their think mainly would impact matchday revenue but affects all the Premiership clubs if no quota

Yes the blackout plays a part and of course there would some inconvenience to match goers if quota was removed and that remained

Broadcasters would love to get access to more of the so called bigger games but if access isn't there not much the broadcasters can do and for that there need to a change in the clubs attitudes

Rangers v Kilmarnock only got shown due to our own deal with Sky and extra club PPV if that didn't happened it would have not been not shown even as club PPV within the UK while Celtic v Hearts wasn't picked as Sky had selected 3 of the 4 home games allowed so far

Last edited:
I must watch 20 things a month I’ve recorded as well, it’s a godsend for keeping sisters kids busy to.
Im approaching 50 so a lot of my time now is spent watching sport at home

Football, MotoGp, BSB, WSBK, Rallying, F1, Golf, Boxing off the top of my head and i couldn’t be without our Sky Q, the family use it for all kinds of recorded stuff in 3 rooms.

Money well spent imo it’s the price of 1 heavy day/night out on the bevvy per month without any issues knowing what you’ve recorded will be in crystal clear HD/UHD

So they are cheating the system really. Anyway I won’t think about it till they set the times and dates in concrete up to Jan, quite pleased with that side of it all to be honest.
It is up the those bodies to decide if they wanted or not

Come August I would be very surprise if the blackout in England didn't start from the w/e of 17th August to accommodate the opening weekend of EFL

Agree that is look good once all games are announced upto Janaury pity they don't seemed to doing after that period but it is a start

EFL fixtures are on 26th June at 9am from what I see

Last edited:
Im approaching 50 so a lot of my time now is spent watching sport at home

Football, MotoGp, BSB, WSBK, Rallying, F1, Golf, Boxing off the top of my head and i couldn’t be without our Sky Q, the family use it for all kinds of recorded stuff in 3 rooms.

Money well spent imo it’s the price of 1 heavy day/night out on the bevvy per month without any issues knowing what you’ve recorded will be in crystal clear HD/UHD

I’d feel a right twat leaving my 80 year old Dad with a fire stick to watch Football!

If they penny pinch and use the same technology as now people will be getting alerts on mobile before they see it.

Other companies have latency down to 5 seconds.

Theres no longer an excuse for 40 seconds delay.
Now tv used to be around 20 seconds and went to a minute and a half around the same time sky glass was launched

It is up the those bodies to decide if they wanted or not

Come August I would be very surprise if the blackout in England didn't start from the w/e of 17th August to accommodate the opening weekend of EFL

Agree that is look good once all games are announced upto Janaury pity they don't seemed to doing after that period but it is a start

EFL fixtures are on 26th June at 9am

Aye I know they are out, all being set up to Jan by time season starts as well.

Yes I know and that is down the 4 home game quota (5 from next season) that is set by the clubs basically Rangers and Celtic since it would mainly those home games picked as their think mainly would impact matchday revenue but affects all the Premiership clubs if no quota

Yes the blackout plays a part and of course there would some inconvenience to match goers if quota was removed and that remained

Broadcasters would love to get access to more of the so called bigger games but if access isn't there not much the broadcasters can do and for that there need to a change in the clubs attitudes

Rangers v Kilmarnock only got shown due to our own deal with Sky and extra club PPV if that didn't happened it would have not been not shown even as club PPV within the UK while Celtic v Hearts wasn't picked as Sky had selected 3 of the 4 home games allowed so far
I'm completely aware of the 5 game rule, my point is all barriers should be removed and all games made available for purchase by broadcasters.

I'm completely aware of the 5 game rule, my point is all barriers should be removed and all games made available for purchase by broadcasters.
And that is down the clubs (Rangers & Celtic) to do that - 228 Premiership games all should be shown

You are using the wrong people
I can assure you im really not, i work in IT i know how to set them up, I know how the servers work, my neighbour sell’s these sticks and has done for many years, out of the 6 ive had ive had probably double that in subscriptions everyone has let me down at some point 1 including an OF game where i had to go out to a pub and missed 20 minutes, (Ive still got one for when on holiday in UK or working away)

If your trying to tell me you have NEVER had an issue with a dodgy stick your lying

Mine can’t pal, he often pauses programmes and goes back to watch them after going toilet as well etc Records loads etc. Different people have different disabilities as well.
It did take a week to train him to be fair

Back