Sofascore rank James Tavernier as the second highest-rated player in Europe outside the top-tier leagues

If we had another 3 or 4 players of his quality we'd be winning leagues. As we did when we had Davis, Kent, Morelos and Helander in top form. We've got Lundstram in for Davis, pick one of 3 for Kent, Dessers where peak Morelos was, Souttar where Helander was and people wonder why we aren't running away with the league.
Bang on. Even one wide forward chipping in with numbers close to his and it would make all the difference. The importance in those wide forward positions in the modern game are massive and you see more and more teams goals come from there.

Is that an average out of 10 over the season I take it?

Just like the Testimonial thread this one will end in a farce in 1,2,3…..

Is this season his best in terms of g/a numbers?

Still think it's more than worthwhile trying to adjust his role in the side to have him playing further forward where his best work clearly happens. Natural rb ready as well in Sterling. I get the clamour for Sterling in midfield given he's done a job there when asked to this season but how about actually signing some competent midfielders this summer?

While he is still contributing so heavily at the top end of the pitch he absolutely should be part of our plans for the next season or 2.

I bet anyone reading that outside our support would be amazed how many people want rid of him (within our support).

When he leaves, we will appreciate him a lot more - no question about it!!

We have had ridiculous value from him

IMG-1416.jpg
Our top ten players over the season. I’ll just post this and run :))

If we had another 3 or 4 players of his quality we'd be winning leagues. As we did when we had Davis, Kent, Morelos and Helander in top form. We've got Lundstram in for Davis, pick one of 3 for Kent, Dessers where peak Morelos was, Souttar where Helander was and people wonder why we aren't running away with the league.

Nobody wonders that though. They just wonder how they can drop multiple points against dross.

Nobody wonders that though. They just wonder how they can drop multiple points against dross.
You don't win 38 games a season very often regardless of how good you are.

I also think teams are fitter and more tactically organised now than they have been in the past, and we're still seeing win percentages that would have won leagues in every other decade in our history falling short.

You don't win 38 games a season very often regardless of how good you are.

I also think teams are fitter and more tactically organised now than they have been in the past, and we're still seeing win percentages that would have won leagues in every other decade in our history falling short.

I'd agree tactically better and fitter but probably technically worse. But we digress.

I'd agree tactically better and fitter but probably technically worse. But we digress.
I don't see how you get the first two without the other and think our fans are very patronising to the opposition who are generally faring no better or worse in Europe than they have since the peak of Scottish football in the 80s.

I’m a big Tav fan and think we’ll miss him when he’s gone but I’ve seen twitter arguments using ratings from random apps to show that one player is better than another and I now hate them

I don't see how you get the first two without the other and think our fans are very patronising to the opposition who are generally faring no better or worse in Europe than they have since the peak of Scottish football in the 80s.

You genuinely don't see how tactics and fitness can be better but technique can be worse? I'd say we are tactically better and fitter now than in the 90s but we ain't the 9IAR team. I think that's replicated throughout Scottish football.

You genuinely don't see how tactics and fitness can be better but technique can be worse? I'd say we are tactically better and fitter now than in the 90s but we ain't the 9IAR team. I think that's replicated throughout Scottish football.
Our 9IAR team never won as often as these guys do in finishing second. One year they won the league with a 50% win rate. Do you think that the players in the 90s across Scottish football were better than they are now, and what kind of measurement can you use to determine that beyond how clubs get on in European football which is by and large the same?

Our 9IAR team never won as often as these guys do in finishing second. One year they won the league with a 50% win rate. Do you think that the players in the 90s across Scottish football were better than they are now, and what kind of measurement can you use to determine that beyond how clubs get on in European football which is by and large the same?

I do, and I base it mainly on what I see. It helps that we have measures like national qualification to international tournaments, players moving from Scottish football to say, top English or European clubs, or players in Scottish football playing for their national teams.

I do, and I base it mainly on what I see. It helps that we have measures like national qualification to international tournaments, players moving from Scottish football to say, top English or European clubs, or players in Scottish football playing for their national teams.
Have any of those changed?

And rightly so! A fine player ,with on field figures that just can’t be matched ,but not according to the experts in our midst.

I love Tav, I genuinely just wish he played further up the field. As a last line of defense he's cost Rangers dearly over the years, so the stick he cops comes with the territory I'm afraid.
I know we had to take the money, but I thought we should have moved Tav forward to RM and keep patterson at RB. The two of them could even have dove tailed with one another during games.

While I dont think Goldson is above criticism, the amount he gets, due imo to him having to constantly go out wide to cover for Tav who has been caught up the pitch. This leaves a gaping hole between Goldson and Souttar. teams are exploiting it on a weekly basis.

I know we had to take the money, but I thought we should have moved Tav forward to RM and keep patterson at RB. The two of them could even have dove tailed with one another during games.

While I dont think Goldson is above criticism, the amount he gets, due imo to him having to constantly go out wide to cover for Tav who has been caught up the pitch. This leaves a gaping hole between Goldson and Souttar. teams are exploiting it on a weekly basis.
Don't disagree on the Goldson point, but not sure Patterson would have been a defensive upgrade on Tav either tbh.

Unfortunately we have no right sided midfielder or winger who can play that area who can create or do anything constructive.

The team relies on Tavernier getting forward and creating chances. Where was a goal coming from on Sunday had Tav not put the ball on Dessers head?

It is a valid point though that Goldson is covering. That is when Lundstram should be dropping back. Always felt Jack was decent at covering Tav.

Unfortunately we have no right sided midfielder or winger who can play that area who can create or do anything constructive.

The team relies on Tavernier getting forward and creating chances. Where was a goal coming from on Sunday had Tav not put the ball on Dessers head?

It is a valid point though that Goldson is covering. That is when Lundstram should be dropping back. Always felt Jack was decent at covering Tav.
It’s absolutely criminal that we have never improved on Candieas on the right hand side and let’s be honest he wasn’t very good either.

Back