Some interesting facts on the Old Firm trophy count

Cloughie was right

Official Ticketer
As we are currently sitting only two in front of them in the overall trophy count, I thought I’d have a wee look back through the record books to check when they were last this close to us on trophies won. I was surprised to see they were actually only one behind us at the end of the 1974/75 season (63 to us, 62 to them) but thankfully our treble wins in 75/76 and 77/78 gave us a healthy lead again. The bit that really struck me though was the period from Souness taking over in 1986 through to Walter’s last season in 2010/2011 when we won an amazing 40 trophies in that 25 year period. This glorious period gave us a lead of 115 to their 92 but then of course the madness of 2012 and our subsequent demotion to the bottom league gave them the opportunity to claw it back to the current 118 to us and 116 to them. Another surprise to me was the fact that they actually led the trophy count from 1907, when they overtook Queens Park, right up until 1939 when we managed to draw level with them on 34 trophies each. We then went in front for the first time in 1947 and we have been out in front ever since. Hopefully that won’t change anytime soon but we really need to start winning things on a regular basis again.

Yeah 2012 made sure they would have a chance to catch us

I assume we don’t count the trophies in that period we won either
No, the lower division titles we won are not counted. Our 118 is made up of 55 league titles, 34 Scottish Cups, 28 League Cups and one European trophy.

Back