Song Origins

Lord Tom

Just in from the pub where we chatted about some of our “newer” songs.
Nobody seems to know where the “Are you ready” chant comes from or even the second line!
Also, we’re clueless as to where the song that contains the line “the animals sang the Soldier Song, the People sang Dolly’s Brae” came from.

You could here the Liverpool fans singing 'Every Saturday We Follow' at Wembley today, couldn't make out their lyrics right enough.

Did they copy us?

You could here the Liverpool fans singing 'Every Saturday We Follow' at Wembley today, couldn't make out their lyrics right enough.

Did they copy us?

To be fair they did adopt it before us.

A Lot of chants come from other clubs around the world. Most chants aren't "original" tunes

A trip to Ibrox tune is also used by the unwashed for goalkeeper John Thompson. Which also uses the line "I took a trip to (parkhead)

Songs origins vary from Hymns (follow follow) pop songs, Irish songs....

Build my gallows is a mash up of an Irish song called A bunch of thyme

Not a daft question.

Always baffles me. So many great victories over the years, good knows why it was decided to just invent one.
The one invented was only the one recorded. We sung about 1 that did happen. :D

As an aside. We always omitted 'sang' from And the people (sang) Dolly's Brae.

Another that changed for whatever reason is We love you Rangers. God knows how.

We sang "we love you Rangers 'oh yes' we do.

Derry's Walls. Would love to know how it changed from "come when duty calls' to surrender or you'll die.

And then there is my pet hate!! Follow follow.
"Dundee Hamilton' get that to F.....

Derry's Walls. Would love to know how it changed from "come when duty calls' to surrender or you'll die.

Agree.
Follow Follow should be sung with the correct lyrics.

it also sounds very like “we love the Rangers” now, though that might just be my ears. It also speeds up incredibly fast in the last line “ohRangersweloveyou”

Just in from the pub where we chatted about some of our “newer” songs.
Nobody seems to know where the “Are you ready” chant comes from or even the second line!
Also, we’re clueless as to where the song that contains the line “the animals sang the Soldier Song, the People sang Dolly’s Brae” came from.
Trip to Ibrox is, I think, based on the tune of an old Australian song about WW1, Suvla Bay. The tune is used for other Loyalist songs as well.

Did they copy us?
It’s used by a lot of football clubs. The original is an Italian pop song from the 80s, L'estate sta finendo.

Agree about Derry's Walls but want to add my gripe. I always sang "King James and all his rebel band came up to Bishops Gate, With heart and hand and sword and shield we forced them to retreat."

The forcing the retreat part gets replaced with "we'll guard old Derry's walls."

A trip to Ibrox tune is also used by the unwashed for goalkeeper John Thompson. Which also uses the line "I took a trip to (parkhead)

Songs origins vary from Hymns (follow follow) pop songs, Irish songs....

Build my gallows is a mash up of an Irish song called A bunch of thyme

Not a daft question.
A bunch of thyme, a song about a girls virginity apparently. ;)

Agree about Derry's Walls but want to add my gripe. I always sang "King James and all his rebel band came up to Bishops Gate, With heart and hand and sword and shield we forced them to retreat."

The forcing the retreat part gets replaced with "we'll guard old Derry's walls."
I'm sure some clown sang Bishopbriggs instead of Bishops Gate at one point.

Sure it was mentioned on here years back :D

Trip to Ibrox is, I think, based on the tune of an old Australian song about WW1, Suvla Bay. The tune is used for other Loyalist songs as well.

It’s used by a lot of football clubs. The original is an Italian pop song from the 80s, L'estate sta finendo.

A bit like A trip to Ibrox but definitely the tune to the Willie Woodburn song. Cheers for that, never heard that Suvla Bay before.

Absolutely hate build my gallows.....really does my nut in.......

The other loyalist songs have a context and a theme you can buy into and I would say would give the team a rallying call....but that song nah not for me

Who's my wee pal Joe?

I don't know anybody called Joe!!

I've still got the original 45rpm single of Lex McLean's recording of 'Every other Setturday" which was done at our annual supporters rally back in the early 60's. If you listen closely to what Lex sings the words are actually, "me and my wee pal Jock". The pronunciation of "Jock" does make it sound like "Joe", but it is definitely "Jock" that was originally sung. :))

Did they copy us?

Most definitely did. The only other supporters I've ever heard singing it were those of Lochee United at a junior game many years ago.

Derry's Walls is all but ruined with the change of lyrics. Time to get back to the original.

The song no longer makes sense as it was our people shouting "No surrender" so why would we then shout "surrender or you'll die, die die"?

Or "we'll guard those Derry's walls" by some people

Back