Sports personality nominees

Becoming a farce this. Can see why Raducanu won but big Fury should be winning at least a place in one of these over the last few years. Guys an inspiration to so many.
Think that’s very true. Great sporting achievements but he’s also overcome a lot and think he genuinely wants to help people with similar troubles.
Dont think he’s getting anywhere near spoty though given history, but I’m sure he dgaf about that!

Not one mention of Rangers for team of the year.
Found that strange as well. Undefeated league season and a good European showing. Compared to a few teams who didn’t win anything. Similar to coach of the year nominees.

I'm guessing (or it's pretty obvious) they had couldn't have a short list without one black person on it?

Surprised they didn't go for Mr Wonderful Marcus Rashford
Not sure this is true. But it's one of my objections to a society which selects based on diversity criteria, such as university entry, jobs at the BBC etc. It unfairly casts doubt on everyone who got there because they actually achieved it. I'm just not a fan of race-based politics.

Recorded it to watch the bit about the teddy’s but will just delete it by the sounds of things.

Recorded it to watch the bit about the teddy’s but will just delete it by the sounds of things.
I’ve watched it since it began. This year was awful and it’s been dying on its arse for years. The obituaries are a nice touch but they do it right before the awards are given , have the whole place near tears then “ the winner is “ I mean it’s all wrong. I also get the impression the younger ones are just bamboozled by it all, they live in a modern social media world, it’s not like the old days where it was a big deal to be honoured by the bbc and the public. Wee radaciou probably gets more tick tick followers or whatever than votes in this show.

Like only an excuse I really think it’s had it’s day

Surprised Mark Cavendish wasn't on it this year.

I was among the many who had written him off, so to come from nowhere and win 4 stages to equal Eddy Merckx' record, and come within a bawhair of beating it, was worthy of at least a nomination.

Greatest British cyclist ever.

A guy who is on the way to becoming the greatest boxer Scotland has ever produced and arguably one of the best pound for pound Britain has produced yet he can’t even make the list? Shambles. What he has achieved in such a short period of time is outstanding and regardless of political views or the team he supports he should 100% be in the running. If he was English this wouldn’t even be a debate……
If he was English he'd probably have signed for Matchroom and be several times richer and more well known.

The fact he isn't better promoted is partly his own doing but that he should be on the list.

He and Cavendish were two glaring omissions and should have been in over Daley and Sterling based on sporting merit.

Wee radaciou deserbed it but she looked like she was in her pajamas and could barely be bothered doing the live link

I think the programme is well past it’s sell by date now , and I’m an old guy who used to like it every year
Pretty sure she has covid right now

Surprised Mark Cavendish wasn't on it this year.

I was among the many who had written him off, so to come from nowhere and win 4 stages to equal Eddy Merckx' record, and come within a bawhair of beating it, was worthy of at least a nomination.

Greatest British cyclist ever.
Correct ! The greatest living sportsman at the moment. 34 TdF stage wins equaling Eddy Merckx. Before you take into account everything else he’s won, phenomenal athlete. The only thing against him is, he is a white heterosexual male :rolleyes:

Last edited:
SPOTY has become a BBC box ticking exercise and really no longer focuses on sporting achievements.
The programme does ‘inclusivity’ at a level that is almost boak inducing.
I do love Emma Raducanu and she will win but her story also ticks so many ‘right on’ boxes.
Hope you had a tenner on.

Had a great tournament in the US but Daley and peaty were far more deserving. Peaty especially so.

Fully expect Raducanu to win this, but why is Raheem Sterling on the shortlist of 6 ?
Ticking all the boxes Daley is well we all know what he is, and yes rhahim is of colour so another tick. The tennis girl isn't actually British so get that tick and the Arsehole that is Hamilton just got gubbbed so he's not available.
This is why Josh Taylor isn't on the list and big Tyson isn't interested

Here's me thinking Sterling is there as competition to Daly for the best "diver" ah well.
Won the Premier League, got to a Champions League final, got to a European Championship final.
Ignore the fact that he’s not really,actually a good footballer. The colour of his skin is irrelevant he’s just not very good. Will get hammered for my opinion but he’s technically not a good footballer.

Back