Spurs V Chelsea VAR Audio released

That was interesting, there must be a bit of pressure working through all that as quickly as possible. The attacker should be given the benefit when the offside is so close.

Took a Hell of a long time to go through that and a huge faff, not to mention starting with the latest decision point and working in reverse seemed a bit mental. If they knew they were going to check penalty calls earlier in the timeline than the offside, doesn't it make sense to start with them when they make the later decisions irrelevant?

Ultimately probably the right call in terms of the penalty/red card given the high foot onto the ankle on the follow through. Although, plenty would call it harsh, but that's the modern game really.

Took a Hell of a long time to go through that and a huge faff, not to mention starting with the latest decision point and working in reverse seemed a bit mental. If they knew they were going to check penalty calls earlier in the timeline than the offside, doesn't it make sense to start with them when they make the later decisions irrelevant?

Ultimately probably the right call in terms of the penalty/red card given the high foot onto the ankle on the follow through. Although, plenty would call it harsh, but that's the modern game really.
Probably done that way because there is no need for an onfield review of the offside decision if that's what it ultimately comes down to. So confirm the offside decision, then look to see if there's anything else. Referee knows straight away its no goal then.

There was a filmmaker on Talksport saying that they aren’t using the correct cameras especially for the offside decisions.

As for the red card there where exactly is Romero’s foot supposed to go after winning the ball?
From a game a couple of weeks ago, i am sure michael stewart suggested it cant be a penalty if the defender gets a slight touch on the ball and leaves their leg in. Wonder what he thinks of this

The offside is ridiculous it's literally millimetres in it so within a margin of error - goal should be allowed to stand. The red card was a great spot though. I didn't even notice it in real time.

If its not offside then the goal stands, thats why that is checked first

if I was reviewing that id give a free kick spurs as its a clear dive by sterling before any of it.
I agree, a dive is punishable by a free kick so shouldn't have got as far as the penalty and red card for the Romero challenge.

Would Romero still have been sent off because of the reckless challenge (on the assumption it was worthy of a red in the first place) if the free kick had been given against Sterling?

Took too long, but there were multiple incidents to review. In the end, the decisions were correct.

That's what we want isn't it, correct decisions?
As simple as that.

There is debate over the offside. Because the images were so blurred. But it didn’t matter. It was a foul. It was a penalty

This has probably been brought up many times before and forgive me if I’m missing something obvious but what’s stopping the authorities from making VAR conversations audible to viewers in real time? Transparency would be helpful, especially up here. Is it a cost thing?

Reactions: TQ3
Took too long, but there were multiple incidents to review. In the end, the decisions were correct.

That's what we want isn't it, correct decisions?

does it not all start with a foul by sterling for a clear dive or is that just to be ignored?

Reactions: TQ3
You hear him say send that to the TV so that should confirm that they aren’t in direct conversation with the commentators which was a ludicrous discussion on here the other week. :))

does it not all start with a foul by sterling for a clear dive or is that just to be ignored?
Diving seems to be something that just gets let go. Your lucky if 1/10 result in a yellow card after it being something they were looking to clamp down on a few seasons ago.

I don't see it as a clear dive. There's no contact, or at best minimal contact, but the word they use is a 'stumble'. It doesn't have to be a binary decision of 'foul' or 'dive' and I think that incident falls into that category.

I don't see it as a clear dive. There's no contact, or at best minimal contact, but the word they use is a 'stumble'. It doesn't have to be a binary decision of 'foul' or 'dive' and I think that incident falls into that category.
there is clearly no contact and he falls theatrically to try and win a penalty. Its as clear a dive as you will see. Correct decision would have been free kick spurs

Honestly this is why VAR is here to stay, correct decisions made all be it far too slowly and offside should be automated.
VAR is here to stay and am sure in due course everything will be automated and thus decisions sped up.

there is clearly no contact and he falls theatrically to try and win a penalty. Its as clear a dive as you will see. Correct decision would have been free kick spurs
Or he's moving at speed and trying to change direction and 'stumbles'. Its far from 'as clear a dive as you will see'. You not watched Furuhashi? As I said, it doesn't have to be one or the other. There's enough doubt to let it go (despite Sterling's history).

Or he's moving at speed and trying to change direction and 'stumbles'. Its far from 'as clear a dive as you will see'. You not watched Furuhashi? As I said, it doesn't have to be one or the other. There's enough doubt to let it go (despite Sterling's history).
I don't think Sterling even makes a claim for anything. Loses his footing as you say and just gets back up after

I’m well aware of that. I read that post as all decisions however, surely there will always have to be a human involved when it comes to making decisions with penalties, handballs etc?
Yeah, they can't automate anything that has subjectivity to it. Could only be for factual decisions - even at that, God help us the second a slightly contentious one gets through... meltdown incoming

I’m well aware of that. I read that post as all decisions however, surely there will always have to be a human involved when it comes to making decisions with penalties, handballs etc?
Correct. Tech will work for matters of 'fact', like offside or whether the ball is over the line. We might even see it, eventually, able to tell if an offence is inside the box or outside. Subjective decisions, like red cards and handballs - where some experience and judgement is required - will always be human driven. Not every handball inside the area is a penalty (as we know so well) and not every strong tackle merits a red card. Referee has to make that call.

Not the foul but deciding off-sides...Instead of two guys trying to line up a couple of cursors, I fully expect to see technology displaying it straight off.
That's the semi-automated stuff we saw in our Play-Off game v PSV at Ibrox. It was a very tight call whether Dessers was offside before playing that lovely pass to Matondo for his goal. The semi-automated VAR had the decision in under a minute and immediately had the AI generated graphic on TV. Due to be introduced in the EPL next season.

12 roof mounted cameras, up to 29 data points on each player and a microchip in the football.

Unlikely we ever see it in Scotland though.

Back