Squad Ahead of 24/25 Season

Madjid Moments

Morning All

We have a big summer ahead which will see players leaving and coming in.

The club will need to generate money so sales and outgoing are inevitable.

Looking at the squad I think the sellable assets are:
Butland - 3 years left
Goldson - 2 years left
Lammers - 3 years left
Hagi - 2 years left
Lawrence - 1 year left
Davies - 2 years left
Dowell - 2 years left
Raskin - 3 years left
Matondo - 2 years left
Cifuentes - 3 years left
Yilmaz - 3 years left
Dessers - 3 years left
Tavernier - 2 years left

I’m not for 1 minute saying we sell all, but some will have to leave. The question is who? Obvious ones in Lammers, Cifuentes & Davies as clearly out the picture, but feel we will lose regulars too.

Add to that the out of contract players:
Lundstram
Roofe
Barisic
Jack
McLaughlin
Balogun

And the players going back to their parent clubs:
Silva
Cortes
Sima

This looks more like a big rebuild of a squad which could see a lot of movement.

Could be an eventful summer………..

Reactions: cav
From a positive all are out of contract players are in there 30s and would have little re sale value anyway and good number are past it and not worth their current wage.

I'm hoping we will replace most of these players with younger less injury prone as a starting point.

Lammers has been doing fantastic for Utrecht so should be able to recoup his fee hopefully. I think all of the OOC players will be gone, perhaps maybe Balogun on low wages for another year. That’ll be a huge saving in wages. Selling the likes of Davies, Hagi, Cifu won’t really make a difference to the squad as they aren’t here or aren’t playing. Got a feeling we might sell 2 of Raskin, Lawrence or Dowell.

Those players being sold as well as the OOC wages will easily gain us 10-12m in my opinion.

I think we will buy Sima, Cortes and we still need to pay for Dio, that’s easily the guts of 10/11m, so I think after that we will need to be smart in our recruitment and might see another couple loans with options, on top of a couple of smart buys. With our new manager and Koppen, I actually trust that we will find good deals for good players, especially from further afield.

Last edited:
Another one year deal for Balogun. Rest of the out of contract players released.

Sell Lammers, Cifuentes, Hagi and Goldson.

Use option to buy Cortes and try to get Sima permanent.

Two solid central defenders needed along with a deep lying playmaking midfielder.
I think Davies and Dowell will also be moved on.

Morning All

Butland - 3 years left
Goldson - 2 years left
Lammers - 3 years left
Hagi - 2 years left
Lawrence - 1 year left
Davies - 2 years left
Dowell - 2 years left
Raskin - 3 years left
Matondo - 2 years left
Cifuentes - 3 years left
Yilmaz - 3 years left
Dessers - 3 years left
Tavernier - 2 years left

I’m not for 1 minute saying we sell all, but some will have to leave. The question is who? Obvious ones in Lammers, Cifuentes & Davies as clearly out the picture, but feel we will lose regulars too.

Lundstram
Roofe
Barisic
Jack
McLaughlin
Balogun

Silva
Cortes
Sima

This looks more like a big rebuild of a squad which could see a lot of movement.

From all the players listed I'd keep Butland, Raskin, Yilmaz and sign Sima and Cortes.

Not always easy to move players on for decent cash if they don't want to go or nobody wants them though. Most will probably looking at a drop in wages.

My biggest worry is Butland.

Huge player for us but at the same time probably the biggest asset.

If a big came in off £10m plus I think we would take it.

It's actually a bit worrying when you look at our current starting 11 (give or take a few changes)

Butland - got to keep but can see a big offer being accepted
Tav - big fan but do need a long term replacement (sterling?)
Goldson - needs someone to either replace him or long term
Souttar - happy for him to stay
Yilmaz - Borna off and Yilmaz isn't up to the the level needed
Lundstram - off by the looks of it
Dioamande - got to keep
Cantwell - hopefully stays and gets a good season under PC
Sima - off .. would take a good chunk of £ to get him
Silva - away
Dessers - ok Danilo coming back hopefully but clear we need competition

It's a massive rebuild. Sterling, Raskin, macausland... I'd like these guys to stay and mature at the club. The other OoC happy to see leave (Balogun potential one year extension).

Aye it's a scary proposition

Would not be signing Cortes based on 6 games. No idea how he is going to come back from that injury. Too much of a risk.

Another loan if possible? Showed a lot of promise in the games I saw. Loan til Xmas then we're not saddled with him for a full season if he does turn out to be perma injured?

Scary that over the past 8 years or so our best performers (before they peaked) have cost zero or buttons

Tav, Candeias, Morelos, Jack, McGregor, Arfield, Davis, Defoe, Balogun, Aribo, Bassey, Kamara, Sakala ? Lundstram, Butland

I would argue we also got our moneys worth for Barisic,

It’s amazing that less than 2 years ago we were playing in an Europa League Final, where 8 of our starting 11 cost less than £1million combined, and 5 of the 6 subs we used were on loan or cost zero.

Just shows you don’t need to spend big.

Theres not a lot of value in the squad and we are going to take a hit on all except Butland.

In theory we are only saving wages on the likes of BB, Roofe, Jack etc.

The poor signings of GVB and Beale is a millstone around our necks.

To win the league is our only hope to spend some real cash.

Theres not a lot of value in the squad and we are going to take a hit on all except Butland.

In theory we are only saving wages on the likes of BB, Roofe, Jack etc.

The poor signings of GVB and Beale is a millstone around our necks.

To win the league is our only hope to spend some real cash.

I think it's harsh to say Gio's signings were anywhere near as bad as Beale's

Colak was fine and we got our money back. We'd likely be in a better place had we actually kept him.

Souttar was a no-brainer as a Scot on a free of a decent standard.

Tillman served us well and actually made us money.

Lawrence has been decent on a low fee / wage and if not for injury would have been a good option.

Yilmaz we'll get our money back on.

Matondo and Davies are the only two issues he had and I'm certain Matondo was more of a Ross Wilson deal and that Davies wasn't Gios first choice for CB at all.

The saving on wages from the crocks we're seeing out the door could be put to great use if we can work the Bosman market well. Even two decent Bosman signings could make all the difference.

Think a massive rebuild this summer is unavoidable now. 9 players o.o.c (including loans)
And easily 6-7 players that could go...
Mcrorie or Butland (I think 1 will go)
Davies
Dowell
Raskin
Wright
Lammers
Hagi

This isn't even factoring in others that could get punted. Will be a busy, busy summer.

I think it's harsh to say Gio's signings were anywhere near as bad as Beale's

Colak was fine and we got our money back. We'd likely be in a better place had we actually kept him.

Souttar was a no-brainer as a Scot on a free of a decent standard.

Tillman served us well and actually made us money.

Lawrence has been decent on a low fee / wage and if not for injury would have been a good option.

Yilmaz we'll get our money back on.

Matondo and Davies are the only two issues he had and I'm certain Matondo was more of a Ross Wilson deal and that Davies wasn't Gios first choice for CB at all.

The saving on wages from the crocks we're seeing out the door could be put to great use if we can work the Bosman market well. Even two decent Bosman signings could make all the difference.
Lawrence has been poor and the return in 2 years says it all.
Davies and Matondo at about £8 million plus crazy wages.
How do you we will get our money back on Yilmaz, his wages for 2 years with little return and he is 2 years into a contract so less value.

GVB rubber stamped or accepted the players.
Summer 22 and 23 was truly awful for the majority of signings.

Lawrence has been poor and the return in 2 years says it all.
Davies and Matondo at about £8 million plus crazy wages.
How do you we will get our money back on Yilmaz, his wages for 2 years with little return and he is 2 years into a contract so less value.

GVB rubber stamped or accepted the players.
Summer 22 and 23 was truly awful for the majority of signings.

You can extend that to Summer 21 also,

3 summers on the trot where the vast majority of signings have been incredibly poor value for money.

We need to get it right this summer by hook or by crook, we need to add value and quality to the team.

I'd be tempted to let all ooc players go tbh, but understand Clement might want to keep Lundstram and Balogun for continuity despite us being against it with JL particularly.

I'd be making every championship club very aware we're not going to be difficult to deal with for Lawrence, Goldson, Dowell and Davies.

Devine, King, Wright, Hagi and Lammers I sincerely doubt have any future with us.

Ask Lens for an extension of Cortes' loan to buy given the injury sustained.
Hopefully make Sima permanent.
I think Dessers will stay despite the enigma status at times.

Massive turnover coming, anyone thinking differently is in for a shock.

Morning All

Butland - 3 years left
Goldson - 2 years left
Lammers - 3 years left
Hagi - 2 years left
Lawrence - 1 year left
Davies - 2 years left
Dowell - 2 years left
Raskin - 3 years left
Matondo - 2 years left
Cifuentes - 3 years left
Yilmaz - 3 years left
Dessers - 3 years left
Tavernier - 2 years left

Lundstram
Roofe
Barisic
Jack
McLaughlin
Balogun

Silva
Cortes
Sima

We always have to be mindful that we can only mov easy of the contracted players on if 1. The player wants to go and 2. A club wants him at an agreeable price.

Unlikely Sima or Silva will be here next year, I would hope we go for Cortes for a season loan, would also like to sign Jefte.

Be an interesting window for us, we seem to be scouting smartly going by January.

Love Butland but if a big offer came in then I think we need to sell and hopefully McCrorie would be able to step up

Goldson is done so a new stronger long term defender

Yilmaz hopefully takes over from Barasic. Just a shame injury has put a halt to him playing just as he was finding form

A striker is defo needed. Not sure even if Danilo comes back will be good enough.

Butland - 3 years left (£10m)
Goldson - 2 years left (£1-2m)
Lammers - 3 years left (£2m)
Hagi - 2 years left (£1.5m)
Lawrence - 1 year left (£500k)
Davies - 2 years left (£1.5m)
Dowell - 2 years left (£500k)
Raskin - 3 years left (£1-2m)
Matondo - 2 years left (£2m)
Cifuentes - 3 years left (£1m)
Yilmaz - 3 years left (£5m)
Dessers - 3 years left (£3m)
Tavernier - 2 years left (£2-3m)

Of that lot, I don’t think Butland or Dessers will leave, quite possibly not Yilmaz either with Barisic already away and I wouldn’t be surprised if both Tav and Goldson are still here for next season.

The dead wood for me that we definitely do need to move on this summer are: Lammers, Hagi, Davies, Dowell and Cifuentes. If we can get £6-7m for all of those we’ll have done well, IMO. Lawrence, Raskin and Matondo could all play parts as squad players next season, but I’d be just as happy to accept offers for all.

In short, including the out of contract players, we could be looking at about a dozen players leaving, possibly even more.

Unlikely Sima or Silva will be here next year, I would hope we go for Cortes for a season loan, would also like to sign Jefte.

Be an interesting window for us, we seem to be scouting smartly going by January.
Cortes on another season’s loan would be good, but only if he’s fit to start pre season training, which from the vague news we have may not be likely. There’s absolutely no point taking on a player if he’s not going to be back until September or October (which knowing the way we roll could easily be next year).

I’d expect us to return for Jefte.

I notice Lawrence has 1 year to go

Given Clement's comments about players not running their contracts down any more he'll be off. Can't see us offering him an extension

I think we could achieve better fees than most of the ones you’ve got here.

I think the first priority (not so popular i’d guess) is to recruit an actual holding midfielder.

For me Lundstram isn’t the best at sniffing out the danger and anticipating it to shut down counter attacks, etc. outside of that there are multiple positions to address, in particular the forward areas this summer. Our wide players don’t contribute on a consistent basis for a variety of reasons.

But we need to be more ruthless in games as time and again, in my view, we haven't buried games and allowed teams back into it.

Of that lot, I don’t think Butland or Dessers will leave, quite possibly not Yilmaz either with Barisic already away and I wouldn’t be surprised if both Tav and Goldson are still here for next season.

The dead wood for me that we definitely do need to move on this summer are: Lammers, Hagi, Davies, Dowell and Cifuentes. If we can get £6-7m for all of those we’ll have done well, IMO. Lawrence, Raskin and Matondo could all play parts as squad players next season, but I’d be just as happy to accept offers for all.

In short, including the out of contract players, we could be looking at about a dozen players leaving, possibly even more.

I can't see Clement going into next season with Dessers as his number one striker, and he's earning too much to be a back up. He'll be gone imo.

I can't see Clement going into next season with Dessers as his number one striker, and he's earning too much to be a back up. He'll be gone imo.
Hopefully not as our first choice, no, but I doubt he’ll be going anywhere.

Remember we also have Danilo. That’s over £10m in strikers and a considerable chunk in wages. Roofe will be gone so that gives us the option of bringing in a third striker, but unless we qualify for the CL I think the budget will be modest so splurging big on another striker is unlikely. Instead I can see us adding a younger player around the £3-4m mark to challenge Dessers and Danilo.

It's going to be a huge rebuild and I doubt it's do-able over one summer window either. At an absolute minimum we'll need:
Left back to replace Borna
Midfielder/s to replace Lundstram/Jack (if rumours of JL leaving are true)
Two wide forwards (left and right side)
Centre forward to replace Roofe/Lammers
You could also make a good case for a starting centre half to play on the left side.

This is all before you factor in whether we keep or can sell the likes of Hagi, Davies, Lawrence, Dowell, Wright, Raskin and Matondo. Not impossible we choose to cash in on Butland, Cantwell or Ridvan if the offers are there. Given his goal return we could probably make most of our money back on Dessers.

Almost every area of the squad needs refreshed, added to or upgraded. It must be hugely complicated to prioritise where to focus when faced with a rebuild like this and I can't see a situation where we're completely satisfied by the time the window closes. Should be an entertaining summer at least.

Cortes on another season’s loan would be good, but only if he’s fit to start pre season training, which from the vague news we have may not be likely. There’s absolutely no point taking on a player if he’s not going to be back until September or October (which knowing the way we roll could easily be next year).

I’d expect us to return for Jefte.
No sure were your getting September or October from he's back end of May, when the seasons over, I expect him to be with us start of pre season for another go at it.

No sure were your getting September or October from he's back end of May, when the seasons over, I expect him to be with us start of pre season for another go at it.
If that’s the case, fine - personally I hadn’t heard that, so was surmising.

I'd want Cortes on loan again at least until Christmas. Extend again to the rest of the season if he stays fit and shows similar form to what he showed us before being crocked this season. Very promising young player that made us look instantly more dangerous.

Been a bit of chat about Butland having offers, Goldson and Tav off to Saudi, Lundstrum leaving, we all want a better number 9, if they all go we will need to sign some tried and tested guys to fill their positions. Also going to need to have a good pre season, last summer was a mess, team didnt gel at all under Beale, got to be a worry if we make too many changes that we will take a while to kick on. Think Clement is the man to do it though, got to be excited by this summer going forward. Last couple of summer windows have ended up being a disaster, need a stevie G style window before 55.

Back