Match Thread St Mirren v Rangers - 12:30 Sunday - Sky Sports

There’s no fooling what we are seeing. Since the start of March we have looked and got the stats of a mid table SPFL team. That game could just as easy ended in a loss than a win.

We are all over the place at the back and create very few clear cut chances and when we do we blow them most of the time. You just knew Lawrence wasn’t scoring. If you were one of our major shareholders watching that, how would you feel about what Lundstram is worth during these contract talks. Did he look four, five, six, maybe more the player than any of the St Mirren players he was struggling with ?

Thanks to Diomande who looked like a Rangers player out there today. I can’t say the same for many of his team mates.

But somehow we are still in this. It’ll be sweet, very sweet if we pull this off. However unlikely that may be.

Last edited:
One big positive to take is we are playing very poorly and are level on points (for a couple of hours anyway) with that mob.
They are not a great team either

Apart from the usual frightening first minute (when will they ever learn?) a pretty comfortable afternoon and 3 essential points in the bag without too much fuss. It wasn't sparkling football but it was hard to spot any weaknesses in a solid team performance and good to see Dessers popping up with another important goal.

We won. I don't care how we win as long as we do. If we win the league playing like this then bring it on.
Too many watching the cl and think we should be playing similar.

Any win will do me. All this treating the other teams as if they have a cheek to be on the pitch with us. We couldn't do it when we were bringing in top players, how do they think we can do it now.

A game that looked like two bottom six sides duking it out but it keeps us alive for another week
That's exactly what it looked like.

These players seem completely mesmerised by the old horseshoe and also the pass-it-right-back-to-our-goalie-from the opposition box routine.
There's still an awful reluctance to get effing in there and get a ball that's to be won, although tbf I thought Souttar started showing a bit of that as the game went on.

But the passing across the back nonsense, where typically I saw one centre back with plenty of space in front of him and with players ahead of him looking and moving for the ball, passing it twelve feet across to the other, who was being closed down, continues.

Aloing with our obvious deficiencies in defence, I think it's now become clear there's a problem in coaching these guys.

A hard won victory for us, with the usual "odd" reffing decision -- this time being the "foul" and yellow card against Butland.
A genuine disgrace: that ref should be pilloried by our Club about that.
For instance he could be asked if Butland should just have just stayed in his box ?
Or made himself insubstantial, sci-fi style, to allow the St M player (who ran into Butland) to pass through him ?
An amazing piece of absolute buffoonery, which basically encapsulates how we are reffed in Scotland.

3pts is all we can take from that.
Really very little enjoyment in our football in the last 6 weeks.

Celtic are playing poorly too though so I don’t think anything is a given at this point.

Hopefully Dundee put in more effort than the did at parkhead in the last game since a win could put them in a Euro spot.

Unfortunately we are just devoid of any genuine outfield quality in that team that I doubt any game from here until the end will see much of an improvement.
Wide areas is a real issue. Silva offers nothing. Sterling is not a winger. McAusland is still raw and im unsure he's the answer long term. Sima is injured.

It was an abysmal game. Every inch the Sunday lunchtime away game kick-off game I thought it would be.

We are a team teetering on the edge of self-implosion.

Nick Walsh should be apologising to Butland for that travesty of a decision. And we should be forcing him to do so. it's an abomination of a decision.

So Cortes, Sima, Danilo, Matondo?

The amount of talent we've got injured is the difference this year
Cortes was good for a very short spell. Then injured. We may not even sign him.
Danilo was OK but missed a lot of chances. I really hope he comes back and bangs in the goals.
Matondo? Come on. Never a consistant 90 mins played for us and nowhere near the level what we need playing week in week out.
Sima, on loan and if I was to guess if he'll be here next season, I really hope he is by the way, I'd say not.
So again, we need 4 attacking players as we are piss poor going forward.

Haven't seen the game today but reading this thread (always fun in-play) it sounds like more of the same.

A win is a win. Wins trump performances at this stage of the season. Think we all know what we're getting with this squad now regardless of the 11 that PC puts on the pitch so if grinding out wins is the way we have to do it between now and season end, then so be it. Doubt there will be any complaints if the OF is a mirror image of today.

We win and move on to the next game.

We have a starting 11 full of bench warmer quality players. Aside from Butland, Tavernier & Cantwell (for the most), and Diomande.

Many many players in this starting 11 wouldn't look out of place in a Hearts or Aberdeen team.

Souttar and Balogun in the heart of the defence. Hearts quality.

Barasic left back. Hearts or lower quality.

Lundstram as the heart of the midfield. Hearts quality for the majority of his time here.

Dessers. Most average teams in the top flight of this league has a decent target man. He's nothing more than that on his best day. Hearts quality or worse.

Macausland. Potential. But nothing better than you'd see in a half decent team sitting in third.

We’ve ended up with a RB playing LB, a RW playing LW, and Scott Wright out wide. :eek: Wright is hopeless, McCausland looks like a headless chicken at times, his control was dreadful, but they’re both better than Silva, £35m, ffs.

Apart from the usual frightening first minute (when will they ever learn?) a pretty comfortable afternoon and 3 essential points in the bag without too much fuss. It wasn't sparkling football but it was hard to spot any weaknesses in a solid team performance and good to see Dessers popping up with another important goal.
Are you on your second keg?

Haven't seen the game today but reading this thread (always fun in-play) it sounds like more of the same.

A win is a win. Wins trump performances at this stage of the season. Think we all know what we're getting with this squad now regardless of the 11 that PC puts on the pitch so if grinding out wins is the way we have to do it between now and season end, then so be it. Doubt there will be any complaints if the OF is a mirror image of today.

We win and move on to the next game.
It was a win mate, JB kept us in the game at times.
4 more league games.
Just win them Rangers, I'll probably have a heart attack.
Its the hope that kills you.

It was an abysmal game. Every inch the Sunday lunchtime away game kick-off game I thought it would be.

We are a team teetering on the edge of self-implosion.

Nick Walsh should be apologising to Butland for that travesty of a decision. And we should be forcing him to do so. it's an abomination of a decision.
Correct mate. Clearly SJB's ball to win and he did, cleanly. Referee should be taken to task for that disgraceful decision alone.

FB-IMG-1714312196062.jpg

:)):))

Well done Rangers. Rode our luck but that other mob have done that about 15 times this season so we are due some luck.
Still in the hunt even if it was a bit nervy.

Danilo was OK but missed a lot of chances. I really hope he comes back and bangs in the goals.
Matondo? Come on. Never a consistant 90 mins played for us and nowhere near the level what we need playing week in week out.
Sima, on loan and if I was to guess if he'll be here next season, I really hope he is by the way, I'd say not.
Cortés, in the short-spell we seen him, was looking every inch the difference maker.

We've also no idea how Danilo will be on his return from injury. We're building from very little up front as far as I'm concerned, especially if we don't sign Sima (and I agree I don't think we will).

Every game is a must win. Quite an awful team performance. At half time Saint Boo had 5 shots on target against our two. Without Butland, St Boo should have been ahead. It was a tough game for us, yet we managed to get 3 points.

Next week, St Mirren will do a Ross County and lose to whoever, ’cause they gave everything today. It didn’t help that Silva was posted missing. Lundstram, imo, played as though he’s chucked it already. Cantwell useless in the first half, a bit better second. Diomande was our best outfield player. Young Ross had a go, Wright was a ghost. Lawrence missed a golden opportunity to make it 3. Dessers put in a shift. Good goal. He worked for it. Defence was collectively, very nervous. Jack Butland motm. Saved us today on several occasions. It’s going to be a bumpy ride till the end.

People don't seem to remember scrappy 2-1 wins away from home was more often than not the type of result we would have under Walter.
And all that was done when we were bringing in quality players.

It's always been this way, but some seem to be dining on something that's never happened.

Back