Standing at games

At least they aren't denying it. It's just various ways of saying I don't care if I’m obstructing someone's view. Nothing worse when you have young children.

This mate. I had the wee man with me and luckily a very kind lassie behind took him to the row behind to stand on a seat. Me i just dodged between heads lol. I hate it but i know it is what it is. Do i understand it no maybe am just old at 40 lol. Nothing worse than a giant infront of you
Aye, freak show bastards. They should be forced to stand in the back row or peer over walls -not scattered amongst your normal west of Scotland folk

Personally, I prefer to stand but can understand that some either prefer not to or aren’t capable of standing for 90 mins.

My current ST in the very back row of BF4 and I just have the stairs in front of me so I’ve got used to standing at Ibrox. I’m going to have to get used to sitting again from next season though as I’m moving to the Copland Rear.

I do feel for those who struggle with it but the fact is we routinely have 21k+ at Hampden and at least 20k of that are standing each time we go there so it's obvious a very sizeable majority of our support want to stand.

I don’t mind either way but had a guy in front of me on Sunday who couldn’t decide if he was sitting or standing.

Five minutes up, five minutes down.

OP you’ll be pissing in the wind with the factions we have around seating.

We have those who will stand regardless of anyone affected and those who’ll rock up and occupy whichever seat they fancy.

When I was a kid my dad took me to various stadiums. This was before all seated stadium. We’d stand down the front or behind exits built into the stand. This meant that nobody was in front of us. Sometimes he’d just sit me on a railing. I loved it. Standing was great fun as a kid.

What did older folk do before Ibrox was rebuilt?
The old grounds had crush barriers that fans could lean on for support.
People are forgetting that seats were installed for safety reasons and until safe standing is installed,and it should be,then seating should be respected.

You are row AA of Copland aswell right? Sure I have seen you mention it.

Give it a year and we will be sitting in row LA tutting and shaking our heads at all the rule breakers standing down in the front. :))
Aye I am mate.
Probably lol.
Looking forward to a wee change but I do like standing for most of the game.

Obviously vulnerable people, old people and kids didn't exist back in the day when all the people who now whinge on about standing used to stand in crowds of 100,000 and it was great fun.

It's football, people stand to watch the match and have done for centuries.
And if you take in a junior game you'll see plenty old boys managing to stand for 90 minutes

I agree with your first point and disagree with your second. I don't think there's a majority that want to stand for every game. As for your third point it seems a bit strange that you "can't wait" for arguments between Rangers fans. It's going to take some getting used to having a singing section next to us, but as long as they keep the flags down like they've agreed to then the only time people's sight should be impacted is when the ball is in the opposite corner of the pitch.
I still think from most games I go to that most people want to stand, I agree that’s a subjective point of view though.

The reason I think the arguments will be funny is because it tends to be the same moaning faced people that have a problem with just about everything in Ibrox. Never seem to be happy with anything and are constantly miserable when people are enjoying themselves.

Started buying tickets for the South Stand at Hampden as my wee one couldn’t see from behind the goal but it’s getting just as bad up there now.
Ended up arguing with some of the selfish bastards at the LCF earlier this season .
Aye but man they’re super staunch for no sittin’ doon that.

Real fans. Ken?

Obviously vulnerable people, old people and kids didn't exist back in the day when all the people who now whinge on about standing used to stand in crowds of 100,000 and it was great fun.

It's football, people stand to watch the match and have done for centuries.
And I was one of them. And it was brilliant fun when you felt the pish down the back of your legs and the boxing started.
See back then. Around 70% of any stadium was standing. Those who wanted to sit went to the main stand where there were seats. They sat for most of the game apart from the action/goalmouth stuff, then sat down again. We used to do that in GF until recently in fact.

Which since I`ve bought a seat, I`d like to use it for its intended purpose. My wife misses out on the Enablers game as she can`t stand for 90 minutes.

But until we have dedicated standing and seated stands, we`ll always be discussing this issue. The club needs to sort this out

Normally go North stand and Hampden and stand… knew I was going to have a raging hangover and would want to sit so bought south upper this time… got to sit the whole game

It’s Hampden, that’s just how it works

I do feel for those who struggle with it but the fact is we routinely have 21k+ at Hampden and at least 20k of that are standing each time we go there so it's obvious a very sizeable majority of our support want to stand.
A lot of the 20k that are standing are doing so because the people in front of them are standing and the people in front of those people are also standing and so on. Not sure you can assume the majority want to stand from that. It’s pretty much a necessity for most of them.

Really? Attending games says otherwise, I’d say most folk prefer to stand.
Some people prefer to stand and others have to stand otherwise they are not seeing the game.
Ive been going to games since the late 60s and have stood in plenty.I now prefer to sit and get a better view.Although like most I am up and down at various times.
My point was mainly towards the posters classless and moronic comment about people who dont want to stand should go to the disabled section.

Both my parents are in their late 70s
Both in the GF have been for 38 years
OF games and Euro nights at Ibrox are a real struggle for them now
Such a shame
The old boy behind me in the Govan Front has to give up his seat for Old FIrm games to a more able bodied pal. I offered to get him a swap with a pal in the Govan Rear but hadn't thought of the stairs.
It is a recent practice this standing at big games, was never an issue before and it didn't affect the atmosphere.

In fairness in the past people who needed to or wanted to sit would go to the seat area main stands in grounds.
In my experience, the main stand at Ibrox (and other grounds) was expensive in those days was generally populated by wealthier fans and a visit for scruffy plebs like me was an occasional treat. When all seater grounds became the law, prices shot right up and I remember fans saying they were being priced out.
Btw, does anyone know why it's called a 'stand' when the whole idea is to sit?

This is why standing sections are needed pronto.

The idea of sitting at games (especially big ones) doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, but wouldn't like to be blocking someone's view either.

In my experience, the main stand at Ibrox (and other grounds) was expensive in those days was generally populated by wealthier fans and a visit for scruffy plebs like me was an occasional treat. When all seater grounds became the law, prices shot right up and I remember fans saying they were being priced out.
The grandstand it was called , then changed to stand

It’s not that everyone wants to stand, they have to if they want to see the game.

Can see both sides of the debate regarding standing and, as suggested, designated seating areas for those with children and health/mobility issues would be ideal.
Can't understand why a blind eye is turned to those blocking the stairwells. Surely there are fire & health and safety regulations which apply? Looks like an accident waiting to happen.

I don’t mind standing but my knees get sore after a while. Could we have an arrangement that we stand first half then sit doon for the second to give us a rest?

Away games nothing you can do. For Hampden with the new ticketing website next season we will be able to view the stadium map and pick a seat so no reason they can't label areas of south upper as seating sections.
If the club/Hampden label areas with seats "standing areas" they are then taking responsibility for patrons standing at the game where there are seats available.
So I imagine this is the reason, they would then be culpable for any incidents that occur as a result.

If the club/Hampden label areas with seats "standing areas" they are then taking responsibility for patrons standing at the game where there are seats available.
So I imagine this is the reason, they would then be culpable for any incidents that occur as a result.
Way to get around that is what they've done for the friendly against Man U and having sections labeled singing sections. We all know that is where people will be standing, but by not explicitly saying its a standing section I think we're legally clear of any responsibilities for people standing.

No problem in my section of the club deck. Only when there is an exciting attacking move in the box or whatever and it brings people to their feet but it’s only for a few seconds then they sit down again. People use their seats properly in general. When at Hampden I like standing , makes the game more interesting and improves the atmosphere. I feel sorry for people that cannot see though when at Hampden it’s not what they bought their tickets for. . Maybe they should stop going to games like that because if the majority stand then the majority rule and it won’t change. It’s just a fact.

Sit down until the teams come out
Stand for the 1st half
Sit down for half time
Stand for 2nd half

That's generally how I see it at Hampden.

I'm fit enough to stand from the moment I get through the turnstiles till I leave.

The Bears are in far better voice standing than seated.

My old man and uncle ran buses 70,s early 80,s and sat in Ibrox main stand,certainly werent wealthy:) but i know what you mean.

Don’t think away games or Hampden will ever change. Been in North Stand, South stand upper and lower next to hospitality and had to stand as everyone in front of me was standing. Could hear the hospitality people moaning like %^*& which I won’t deny was funny just due to their “entitled” attitude but my sympathy is with people who can’t stand.

It’s not that everyone wants to stand, they have to if they want to see the game.
Might well be the case but I don't see or hear widespread moans and groans over it when at Hampden in all my times going there since standing became the norm post 2015.

Like I said I do sympathise with those who find it difficult but its not going to change anytime soon.

Im 70 I stood all game as I prefer but know some cant . Problem needs addresses standing areas where im sure most prefer . If everone sat I dread to think how bad the atmosphere would be .

The only way to solve the issue of standing or sitting is to sort the ticket sales in to standing and sitting priorities. Have a few dedicated rows at the front where you must sit and everyone else that wants to stand can fill in from the rows behind.

You are row AA of Copland aswell right? Sure I have seen you mention it.

Give it a year and we will be sitting in row LA tutting and shaking our heads at all the rule breakers standing down in the front. :))
The one thing above all that I am going to miss from being moved to row LA :D

The only way to solve the issue of standing or sitting is to sort the ticket sales in to standing and sitting priorities. Have a few dedicated rows at the front where you must sit and everyone else that wants to stand can fill in from the rows behind.
In theory it’s against the ground regulations to stand. The club can’t officially encourage people to stand up in an all seater stadium

Yeah, it's an issue for some. Personally I won't mind standing but my 74 year old uncle who has a season ticket no longer applies for Hampden tickets as he can't stand for 90/120 minutes as he has arthritis in his hips and knees. It's a shame after following Rangers for so many years he can't get to the biggest games to see his team lifting a trophy.

Had Rangers tallest supporter in front of me on Sunday. Needless to say but it didn't bode well for this 5ft 8 short arse!

Back