Sterling - “I don’t know if the belief is there…”

What a strange comment
We play in a footballing backwater
How much do you reckon the Scottish Premiership is worth in the eyes of World Football?
If you went to a game in Argentina, France or Korea for instance and spoke to ten fans how many do you reckon could tell you who won the last three titles ?
Most wouldn't even be able to name three teams in the league
As I said earlier the league title brings entry to the Champions League. It is worth far more in the eyes of World Football and the clubs accountants than the Scottish League Cup FFS. To suggest otherwise is prime idiocy.

Now I'm out of this thread before the muppets defending our 'leadership team' get me a ban.

I think you would struggle to show a rangers player give a worse opening 15-20 minutes ever than Tavernier did at Ross County. We are often told he isn’t a captain who leads by shouting but leads by example. Well he set some example that day.
I'm sure we've had countless players in the past who have suffered from the jitters at times, but when you've a Greig, a Gough, a Brown, a Barry Ferguson etc etc, guys who never take a backward step, who snarl, growl and moan their way through matches, get in the faces of the opposition, it fires up those around them. The 9IAR sides were packed with these players. This team just doesn't have that. They are timid, get bullied and outfought. I'm sorry to say the captain and vice-captain are both culpable. When people say Tav isn't a Rangers captain, that's what they mean. I like Tav as a player. His goals and assists tallies are astonishing. But when the troops need rallying, that's just not his forte.

Interesting this was held back for 24 hours by Rangers friendly media outlets.

The club have waited 24 hours before sanctioning this? Probably based on fans reaction.

No, the embargo is agreed by the press. The club also can’t sanction it, it’s a press conference not a club production. They can’t stop it going out. If clubs could you’d never see manager postmatch meltdowns.

Because they and especially in Tavernier's case are the common denominator. In the last 3 games his contribution has been scoring 2 pens. He couldn't lead a duck to water let alone this Rangers team. I get your defence of him though as he's obviously your favourite player.

It's a pity we don't have a rule in football where you can bring a player on to take penalties, the same way a player comes on in American football to take field goals, Tav would be worth upwards of £20m.
Common denominator for what?

It’s not their fault our recruitment has been diabolical for 3 years.

I just find it a bizarre interview in some respects . Seems stunned and shocked. Find it dreadful one of the senior players are not doing it.

All very bizarre ...not to sure what to read into it or whether anything should be read into the comment about the "gaffer".

I'm sure we've had countless players in the past who have suffered from the jitters at times, but when you've a Greig, a Gough, a Brown, a Barry Ferguson etc etc, guys who never take a backward step, who snarl, growl and moan their way through matches, get in the faces of the opposition, it fires up those around them. The 9IAR sides were packed with these players. This team just doesn't have that. They are timid, get bullied and outfought. I'm sorry to say the captain and vice-captain are both culpable. When people say Tav isn't a Rangers captain, that's what they mean. I like Tav as a player. His goals and assists tallies are astonishing. But when the troops need rallying, that's just not his forte.
Some fans are living in the past. How many of the 9IAR type personalities do you see playing nowadays?

Is it just me or is it similar to the Tav/Goldson comments of the past where he’s basically saying what he knows the fans think?

No, the embargo is agreed by the press. The club also can’t sanction it, it’s a press conference not a club production. They can’t stop it going out. If clubs could you’d never see manager postmatch meltdowns.

What was Clement’s reaction and demeanour when this was being said? Was he there?

If that dressing room can’t motivate themselves to win a treble, become legends, get into the champions league, experience more days like Leipzig, winning the cup etc then that’s a slap in the face to every single one of us who spend our hard earned on following Rangers. I want all that this applies to gone as soon as possible.

Hope the manager doesn’t take him to task for his honesty.

Fans should go tonto if he does.
Sterling has led from the front every single time he has been called upon, he is not fault free. Bet he does have heart and gives his all by the look of it.
A fundamental player moving forward, imo.

Some fans are living in the past. How many of the 9IAR type personalities do you see playing nowadays?
You saying players who inspire and fire up those around them is a thing of the past? A winning mentality is a thing of the past? Don't be ridiculous. You're confusing playing style with mindset.

Correct - if Tav or Goldson had said the exact same thing they'd be getting slaughtered on here.

What Sterling has said and how he said it is a million miles away from what Tav or Goldson have said in the past.

For starters, Sterling was sincere in his words and emotions.

That sincerity and genuinely raw emotion shone through and that is why he is being praised by the majority on here.

Borna hardly plays now, so 3 players out of 11, that's my point caller.
It’s the full dressing room and training centre though and something is clearly wrong. Add all the fringe players that take the lead from the leadership team and you have a core of 8 or 9 who have been hanging around far too long and clearly are not driving the right way.

Back