Sterling - “I don’t know if the belief is there…”

IF Clement drops him after this then the clock is ticking on Clement's time here.

Sterling should be the first name on the teamsheet.

While I do agree that he shouldn't drop him, if he does then he does. For too long we have required a strong manager with standards. If this breaks one of Clements standards that he has set then he should drop him.

For example, Alex Ferguson was no stranger to binning top players who aired dirty linen in public. Walter wouldn't have wanted this type of thing either.

So it depends. It could be that Clement is OK with it. But if he isn't then it's the managers call to make. As it should always be around the club.

Really clever from Sterling. He wants that first place team. He knows the fans love him atm and can take a free swing at the losers in the squad and it will push him even higher in the regards of fans to the point the Gaffer feels more pressure to play him and drop the losers. Very clever and I’m here for it!

Well said young man

We can all see there is an issue with the squad since the Motherwell result and a new player like Sterling pointing out we’ve been shit isn’t a surprise as we’ve seen we are not at the races

I’m glad he’s calling this out tbh

You have to laugh. Sterling says this and he is getting lauded for his honesty. If Tavernier, Goldson or Lundstram had said it they would be absolutely crucified.

How many times has Tav said we must learn from a defeat and then the team goes out and makes the same mistake on numerous occasions

Tav soundbites are now boring and no one believes what he is saying

Sterling is admitting it not good enough and the team for weeks have played shit

Well said as we can all see we have been shit and the results haven’t been good enough

How many times has Tav said we must learn from a defeat and then the team goes out and makes the same mistake on numerous occasions

Tav soundbites are now boring and no one believes what he is saying

Sterling is admitting it not good enough and the team for weeks have played shit

Well said as we can all see we have been shit and the results haven’t been good enough
Doesn't change the fact that if Tav says those words he gets crucified for it on here tonight.

Really clever from Sterling. He wants that first place team. He knows the fans love him atm and can take a free swing at the losers in the squad and it will push him even higher in the regards of fans to the point the Gaffer feels more pressure to play him and drop the losers. Very clever and I’m here for it!
Sterling is a cracking player, but it’s a stretch to conclude that he’s thought about it as deeply as you suggest I think…

You have to laugh. Sterling says this and he is getting lauded for his honesty. If Tavernier, Goldson or Lundstram had said it they would be absolutely crucified.
Because Tavernier, Goldson and Lundstram have been saying it over, and over, and over, and over again for years … failure after failure.

Tavernier has so many sound bytes after a defeat he could fill a bingo card.

Watched most of the bits of the interview and he actually speaks quite well. Talks of it not being a blame game on individuals but as a team. It's not just the usual suspects it's the entire team. Hopefully he and his teammates are not chucking in the towel and as he also says get to a cup final and challenge for the title.

Sure disappointing couple of results but if they keep dwelling on it we will fully collapse. As Dujon says, semi final on Sunday and reset for the league next week. Hopefully a couple more players back as well Ridvan and Diomande in particular. Folk targeting Lundstrum because he has been here longer but Dowell and Lawrence were ten times worse in both games.

Well said Dujon, perhaps Sterling is the leader we need.

At least we can see that it's hurting someone in the dressing room.
He didn't come across to me in that interview as 'the leader we need'. Or in fact, a leader of any sort. He came across to me as someone desperate for leadership from within the camp, whether that be from players or management. I got no sense of him speaking as one who can be a leader himself.

Notwithstanding, I appreciate his honesty and hope that his 'cry for help' actually motivates those who do need a right good kick up the arse.

Sterling is a cracking player, but it’s a stretch to conclude that he’s thought about it as deeply as you suggest I think…
You would be surprised. He doesn’t play every game and knows this is a free swing to have a go at those playing ahead of him and the fans will take to it.

I like Sterling he has a lot of good attributes but we are doing it again, going over the top with our expectations of players who haven't had enough game time to merit judgement be it positive or negative.
A couple of seasons ago Ross Mccrorie was a future captain after a couple of games in midfield.

He's not a politician. He was speaking from the heart (a heavy heart), and in a spirit of honesty.

You make it sound like a planned manoeuvre to benefit himself. In no was was he being 'clever'. What nonsense!

An honest answer but worrying nonetheless. An insight into the current mindset in the dressing room. A big difference to the gaffers ‘we played good’ interview last night (even though I’m of the opinion he’s just protecting the players here).

Worrying mentality in that squad. Fragile when the pressure is on.

That being said, much rather honesty like the above, than the usual shite of bad luck and we need to learn, move forward pish.

He's not a politician. He was speaking from the heart (a heavy heart), and in a spirit of honesty.

You make it sound like a planned manoeuvre to benefit himself. In no was was he being 'clever'. What nonsense!
it’s both! He’s speaking openly knowing it’s a free hit for him. If he felt he was taking heat from the fans over his performances he doesn’t say this stuff. He knows he’ll get backed with this. Don’t be so naive ffs!

While I do agree that he shouldn't drop him, if he does then he does. For too long we have required a strong manager with standards. If this breaks one of Clements standards that he has set then he should drop him.

For example, Alex Ferguson was no stranger to binning top players who aired dirty linen in public. Walter wouldn't have wanted this type of thing either.

So it depends. It could be that Clement is OK with it. But if he isn't then it's the managers call to make. As it should always be around the club.
I hear what you are saying.

What I would say is that if Clement drops someone who cares and wants the best for the club and the fans then that would hugely disappoint me.

Clement needs all the players he can get who actually care. Sterling is clearly one of those who does care.

If anything, Clement should actually be pulling out Sterling in the changing room and using him as an example to the others with regard to his passion, commitment and will to win. The sincerity in the way Sterling spoke showed that it matters to him. Many of the others should take a leaf out his book.

How this has changed within a matter of weeks is baffling. Something must have happened behind the scenes.
I’m of the opinion current players agents have got wind of huge change happening, the new DOF telling agents nothing in terms of new contract offerings…..players like Lundstram….then spitting the dummy

Should be in the middle and the spine of the team next season.

In fact start it for the remainder of this season

For the remainder of the season I definitely want him in the middle aye but I'd be majorly concerned if we can't sign a couple of proper center mids who offer a bit more passing ability than sterling for next season.

Don't mean that as a criticism of him and he brings a lot of energy but if we're having him as a major part of the teams spine I think we've made a mistake along the way.

For the remainder of the season I definitely want him in the middle aye but I'd be majorly concerned if we can't sign a couple of proper center mids who offer a bit more passing ability than sterling for next season.

Don't mean that as a criticism of him and he brings a lot of energy but if we're having him as a major part of the teams spine I think we've made a mistake along the way.
He should be our number 1 RB, with young Devine as the back up. Hopefully we get 10M for tav. Full-backs that are young and hungry for success and can run all day long.

He's protecting the players, it's good management.

He can speak out later IF and when it's gone Pete Tong.

Nonsense, he’s taking the absolute pish out of the fans who are extremely disappointed

This was a thing he kept banging on about when he came in “synergy with the fans”

What’s happened there then?

Nonsense, he’s taking the absolute pish out of the fans who are extremely disappointed

This was a thing he kept banging on about when he came in “synergy with the fans”

What’s happened there then?

The fans need to do their bit mate.

Dujon should enjoy this moment because those patting him on the back now will be the first to turn when he has a bad game.
He gets messed about and benched and played all over the place. Bit difficult to get top form out of someone playing right wing one week, centre mid, then left back but he tries wherever he's selected.

Least of our worries and I won't slate him.

Last edited:
An honest answer but worrying nonetheless. An insight into the current mindset in the dressing room. A big difference to the gaffers ‘we played good’ interview last night (even though I’m of the opinion he’s just protecting the players here).

Swamp needs drained, Sterling can stay, sounds like he’s surprised by how this is gone, which is understandable given he’s new but we as fans are not! Perpetually let down by shitebags!

Back