Sterling - “I don’t know if the belief is there…”

The referencing of Van Dijk is pretty fucking weird it has to be said.

We'd all be pointing and laughing if it was a manager from another club.
All he was doing was referencing how a more experienced and media-savvy player approached a post-match interview in a pressure situation. A perfectly reasonable point given the question he was asked

Can't help but think folks are making a mountain out of a molehill with this

It sounded like Big Phil was happy to criticise Sterling for basically telling the truth and having a large % the support on his side.

But, if Sterling has stepped out of line from what the manager wants, then he opens himself up to criticism.

Walter would never criticise a player for performance but he absolutely would if they stepped out of what he expected them to be off the pitch. Didn't matter who they were from Goram to Gascoigne. Second stint he binned Ferguson and McGregor for their Scotland antics in a run in.

Like I've said above, if the manager is trying to keep things in house and Sterling has went against that then its the manager who wins. And it should always be. And I will back him on that all day long even though I liked Sterlings honesty.

All he was doing was referencing how a more experienced and media-savvy player approached a post-match interview in a pressure situation. A perfectly reasonable point given the question he was asked

Sorry mate, not for me. He should have swatted the question away and kept it in house. This last week has been a complete shitshow. They all better get their act together quick style.

I can understand what clement is saying. It was a little naive of Sterling to come out and give the press a headline. His point being that Van Dijk could’ve done the same recently and called out players but he used his experience and media training and didn’t call out his team mates.

I get us as fans like to hear stuff like that when it’s not going well but his teammates probably had something to say to him.

richard gough said i wear the captains armband ,but when we go out there we should have 11 captains on the park. everybody has a responsibility to perform and give it there all.
See if a player needs another player to motivate them, in order for them to make some sort of effort or show a bit of fight, then they shouldn't be at Rangers in the first place imo. Some players are more suited to playing for some pish in the English championship, where being mediocre more often than not, and winning one game in every 3 or 4 is Accepted or deemed successful.

But, if Sterling has stepped out of line from what the manager wants, then he opens himself up to criticism.

Walter would never criticise a player for performance but he absolutely would if they stepped out of what he expected them to be off the pitch. Didn't matter who they were from Goram to Gascoigne. Second stint he binned Ferguson and McGregor for their Scotland antics in a run in.

Like I've said above, if the manager is trying to keep things in house and Sterling has went against that then its the manager who wins. And it should always be. And I will back him on that all day long even though I liked Sterlings honesty.
With regard to the Van Dijk reference, I don't remember him calling out his Liverpool team mates but , hasn't he criticised his Dutch team mates when playing for the national team.? The Van Dijk reference makes no sense to me in that respect.

These players now have to stand up and be counted, even challenge Sterling on his views and let him challenge them back.

It does a dressing room no harm to be told some home truths and clear the air. Sterling has put it on the table, laid it bare for everyone to see what the issue is … and it’s one we’ve all said for long enough; the senior players lack belief, and that lack of belief is spreading to others in the squad.

If these players continue playing like they have after Sterling’s comments, it speaks volumes.

If they respond, if they take it as the wake up call we need. If we do somehow lgo onto win then title/treble, Sterling’s comments will be looked back at as the catalyst.

Who is in charge of the dressing room that sent Dujon out to speak ?

If he wanted a “kept the structure well” message to be reinforced by an on message experienced pro why is Dujon flung out ?

Jordan Rossiter ended up doing the Progres Niederkorn humilation press conference.

Again, when you say ‘this team’ who exactly are you referring to?
The senior members of the group, the ones that previous managers back to Gerrard refer to as the “senior leadership group”. Your Goldsons, Tavs, Barisic, Jack, Lundstram.
I know what you’re getting at in there has been a lot of turnover, but you’re looking at 30/35% of the team being made up by them, which is a lot of influence there and a decent chunk of the team.
I don’t dispute and I’m not saying they are bad players, far from it. I’m questioning that when it gets to the business end of the season we see the same issues creeping in.

The senior members of the group, the ones that previous managers back to Gerrard refer to as the “senior leadership group”. Your Goldsons, Tavs, Barisic, Jack, Lundstram.
I know what you’re getting at in there has been a lot of turnover, but you’re looking at 30/35% of the team being made up by them, which is a lot of influence there and a decent chunk of the team.
I don’t dispute and I’m not saying they are bad players, far from it. I’m questioning that when it gets to the business end of the season we see the same issues creeping in.
It’s basically Tav and Goldson. Lundstram came after we won 55 but appears to have been lumped in with them; Jack and Barisic barely feature anymore so they’re not really relevant.

I’ve already agreed that we’re not getting the correct degree of leadership from those three senior pros and that is definitely playing its part, but people wilfully overlook the fact that both Tav and Goldson were immense when we won 55 unbeaten, and with Lundstram added, on our route to the Europa League final two years ago. There was pressure in those games too, just as there was pressure when Tav and Goldson went into the baying cauldron of Parkhead under Gerrard and came away with a win, or indeed just every time they step out in front of 50,000 fans at Ibrox demanding nothing less than three points.

And if Tav and Goldson really are the surrender monkeys they keep getting accused of, why do successive managers keep picking them?

I’ve said on here before that I think they’re past their best now and we need to completely revamp the core of this squad in the summer, but I just think it’s too convenient to blame the bottle of two or three players for all our woes - I think it’s more complex than that.

Barisic has never been a leader. We are entering territory now where anyone who was here when Gerrard was is just assumed to be a leader and a bad apple.

Jack Butland, for one, is now in the leadership group. It has evolved and changed to include players who are relevant. Jack and Barisic will be nowhere near it.

He is talking about the same mental weakness Tav said they had several years ago. Most of those players are still here and still mentally weak.
They really aren't. That was 19/20. Massive turnover since then, and Goldson was the only one on the pitch during that collapse. And Tav wasn’t confessing to mental weakness, I interpreted it as questioning that of others in the squad. Bear in mind he was injured when the wheels came off. Almost certainly players who aren't here anymore, not Goldson.

Tells you everthing about this team when the manager has to use a player from a different club as a role model for a young player.

I'm a big fan of Mr Clement, but that was a dreadful press conference.

And if we don’t bite the bullet we will need another new manager and go through it all again.
If the manager sticks with Captain Failure and the usual suspects he deserves to go. I said at the time his first mistake was keeping Tav as captain. I'd rather Sterling had the armband over the guy that fears Hamilton Accies. Massive clear out needed, without it, we can forget winning the league any time soon.

Tells you everthing about this team when the manager has to use a player from a different club as a role model for a young player.

I'm a big fan of Mr Clement, but that was a dreadful press conference.
I'm beginning to get concerned about the manager. Not sure he is handling the pressure well and much of his work over the previous few weeks has been erratic and bizarre to say the least. Hope he doesn't alienate Sterling as he appears to be one of our few assets.

If the manager sticks with Captain Failure and the usual suspects he deserves to go. I said at the time his first mistake was keeping Tav as captain. I'd rather Sterling had the armband over the guy that fears Hamilton Accies. Massive clear out needed, without it, we can forget winning the league any time soon.
Utter nonsense. He has been off it the last couple of weeks and may be sold of we get the correct offer yet he has still scored most of our goals.

By all means slate goldson, poor all season. Lunny, downed tools last 6 weeks when contract talks stalled. Jack, always injured etc. But, dont pin it on the guy who is our top scorer and top assister as well as the guy who scored the goal who won us our only trophy thus far and who always steps up in pressure situations.

Gerrard and gio, 2 literally world class captains, chose him. Clement, a manager we all revere, also chose him.

The players, including sterling who has a thread just now rightly lauding him, also reveres him. Butland, arguably out POTY and a guy who has had no criticism basically, has lauded the captain on several occasions and what he does for them and the club.

It’s tiresome, lazy, nonsense.

100% behind Sterling on this. Brutal honesty is how you get to the bottom of issues. If that hurts anyone in the teams feelings then they don’t deserve to be playing for Rangers. To many soft centres in the dressing room

Utter nonsense. He has been off it the last couple of weeks and may be sold of we get the correct offer yet he has still scored most of our goals.

By all means slate goldson, poor all season. Lunny, downed tools last 6 weeks when contract talks stalled. Jack, always injured etc. But, dont pin it on the guy who is our top scorer and top assister as well as the guy who scored the goal who won us our only trophy thus far and who always steps up in pressure situations.

Gerrard and gio, 2 literally world class captains, chose him. Clement, a manager we all revere, also chose him.

The players, including sterling who has a thread just now rightly lauding him, also reveres him. Butland, arguably out POTY and a guy who has had no criticism basically, has lauded the captain on several occasions and what he does for them and the club.

There are people on here who appear to be bigger Tav, than Rangers fans. It's mind-blowing. I suspect we won't agree on much from here and should leave it there. When the bheast goes through the city with the league trophy you take solace from the fact we have a great penalty taker.

The nonsense is your inability to see how poor a player he is. He's so bad defensively that every team targets him as the weak link.

There are people on here who appear to be bigger Tav, than Rangers fans. It's mind-blowing. I suspect we won't agree on much from here and should leave it there. When the bheast goes through the city with the league trophy you take solace from the fact we have a great penalty taker.

I'm not wading in but that's not what the guy is saying at all.

There's not much room for debate on the forum at the minute. Not many are taking time to read points.

Il take solice in the fact that we at least have one player from the ‘old guard’ who still delivers more often than not. Il also be happy that the ones who no longer do, are moved on. There are some people just desperate to be annoyed at him who will be on here revering him if him being a great penalty taker ends up winning us this league.

You’re right though mate. I don’t want to argue with people about it so lets agree to disagree and wait and see what happens.

have a Good Friday night bud.

The nonsense is your inability to see how poor a player he is. He's so bad defensively that every team targets him as the weak link.
Weird that he is towards the top (for old firm players) in all defensive stats in full back and is also towards the top for the league in all attacking ones. Also weird that he was golden boot for the europa and in team of the season.

Not too bad for a terrible player.

"We go again. We'll learn from this. We need to be better"

"It's not good enough. Playing like we're not in a title race. I question the mindset. Fans deserve better. They follow us everywhere".

I paraphrase of course but which quote do you think reflects the mood of our support more? The captain or the young lad that plays everywhere and anywhere and has the heart of a lion?

"We go again. We'll learn from this. We need to be better"

"It's not good enough. Playing like we're not in a title race. I question the mindset. Fans deserve better. They follow us everywhere".

I paraphrase of course but which quote do you think reflects the mood of our support more? The captain or the young lad that plays everywhere and anywhere and has the heart of a lion?
The top one is the message from the manager as well. Almost like they are told what to say. What they think in real life is likely different mate

The top one is the message from the manager as well. Almost like they are told what to say. What they think in real life is likely different mate

People can have their opinion on our players but it really is mental that people can't understand that what gets put out publically isn't what is said behind closed doors. You almost never get anything controversial from anyone at any club in public ever.

Il take solice in the fact that we at least have one player from the ‘old guard’ who still delivers more often than not. Il also be happy that the ones who no longer do, are moved on. There are some people just desperate to be annoyed at him who will be on here revering him if him being a great penalty taker ends up winning us this league.

You’re right though mate. I don’t want to argue with people about it so lets agree to disagree and wait and see what happens.

have a Good Friday night bud.
'Delivers'? You say... you're at it. Surely..

The reason I, and many like me, want him gone is his complete and utter failure to deliver what the great Rangers captains deliver: fight, pride, leadership, battle fever, success. Goodnight my friend.

The majority of manager and player interviews are aligned after both good and bad performances. Not just at Rangers but everywhere.

Other than in this instance, where only the truly dense believe Clement was genuine in his comments on Wednesday night, as he’s even backtracked slightly today.

I believe that what Sterling said Wednesday was in fact the message in the Dressing room post match, from either PC, Rae or other players.
I find it hard to believe that Sterling would go rouge with his comments without it being some kind of conscience already.

As for the VVD chat today, manager clearly stating that the dressing room chat isn’t repeated in the media after.
However when you aren’t used to being thrust into the limelight after a pressure game and a disappointing result (which Sterling isn’t), then it’s easy to be overly emotional and loose lipped.

There are two camps opening up because of the clusterfuck of the last few weeks. Either you agree with Tav and the Gaffer or you rally behind Sterling. I agree with Sterling. He's honest and he's hurting.

They are probably all saying the same thing in reality and within the club though mate. Tav and Clement don't think that this last week has been OK ffs. It's just a different way if handling the media to try and reduce the noise around us. No team wants noise. It's not a good environment to work in.

That's literally all it is. Just man management and media approaches.

Walter Smith would almost never criticise a player or players in public for their performance. It's pretty much man management 101. No manager ever does.

Sterling absolutely loves Tavernier btw.

They are probably all saying the same thing in reality and within the club though mate. Tav and Clement don't think that this last week has been OK ffs. It's just a different way if handling the media to try and reduce the noise around us. No team wants noise. It's not a good environment to work in.

That's literally all it is. Just man management and media approaches.

Walter Smith would almost never criticise a player or players in public for their performance. It's pretty much man management 101. No manager ever does.

Sterling absolutely loves Tavernier btw.
With all due respect mate, you're mentioning Walter Smith alongside Tavernier and Clement. That is just not on.

What you're saying here is that Tav and the Gaffer are good at handling the media but handling pressure in a title fight, not so much. I'm with Sterling, get a reaction, call the shite hawks out.

With all due respect mate, you're mentioning Walter Smith alongside Tavernier and Clement. That is just not on.

What you're saying here is that Tav and the Gaffer are good at handling the media but handling pressure in a title fight, not so much. I'm with Sterling, get a reaction, call the shite hawks out.
Walter was on record praising tav. Tav also spoke wonderfully at the great man’s funeral.

No that's nothing like what's being said.

Comparing Walter Smith to Clement is very obviously fine since they are both Rangers managers. Tavernier is also the Rangers captain. That's a very bizarre take given the context of what I said.

All managers, including Walter, will toe a party line to the media which is very different from what gets said in the dressing room. That is a cast iron fact. As an example, Walter gave the press very little when talking about Ferguson and McGregor on Scotland duty but Barry tells the story of how angry he was in private.

That is how football is. They say things to the media to keep the noise and headlines down. But within the club, any club, very different things are said.

You don't actually believe that what managers say to the press is what they actually think? Please tell me you don't!

As an aside, I've been in a Rangers press conference ans also a Celtic one when Strachan was the manager and ended up sitting round a table having a coffee with him afterwards. The amount of b*llshit they tell the press and then tell them the opposite off the record a few minutes later is remarkable btw.

As are you. He gave the bheast a goal at Ibrox after 21 seconds in a game that could have finished them for years. Why do you laud this player? Bizarre.
He absolutely did, you’re correct. He also scored in that game. And scored vs the at celtic park. In fact, has he not scored 4 of our last 6 vs them? Maybe if our midfield and forwards, the actual culprits of this season and last, stepped up the way he does, we wouldn’t be in this mess.

He absolutely did, you’re correct. He also scored in that game. And scored vs the at celtic park. In fact, has he not scored 4 of our last 6 vs them? Maybe if our midfield and forwards, the actual culprits of this season and last, stepped up the way he does, we wouldn’t be in this mess.
Yeah he's fantastic. I was wrong. Take care.

Should be in the middle and the spine of the team next season.

In fact start it for the remainder of this season
Serious question. Do you really think Sterling is technically gifted enough to be the mainstay/spine /playmaker of the team. I have serious doubts that he is.

The comments from the manager are a bit of an alarm bell that he doesn’t appreciate the mood of the fanbase or the nature of the job at the minute.Not as much of an alarm bell as picking the wrong team 3 games running - but worrying nonetheless.

Back