Sterling wasted out on the right.

Lundstram was good today. I would play Sterling in the middle next week and make a decision on the wide player. It’s risky though - their strength in OF games means we need a winger to track Maeda and support Tav.

Stunts our attacking output as well the whole 3 is unbalanced

Will be the old ‘do a job’ but aren’t getting the most out of him

Do folk actually watch games

Lost possession
Diomande 14
Cantwell 12
Lundstram 7

Passes (sucessful)
Diomande 47/57 (82%)
Cantwell 29/33 (88%)
Lundstram 69/75 (92%)

Assists
Diomande 0
Cantwell 0
Lundstram 1
Lundstram and his passing isn't a stat I'd use , he tends to pass between the backline back and forth . Granted he was a little more forward than his usual.

Lunny to me from the off, played like a guy who wants to stay. Some posters midweek didn't even want him to start today.

If he could give us what he gave us today, week in, week out, tell him to stuff turkey, and stay where he loves.

Sterling v Taylor next week is a must sadly due to injuries although I'd rather he was in the middle of the pitch.

Taylor is there weakest player and he's had a free ride at it all season because he's been playing against Scott wright and mccausland.

Sterling will bully him physically in every way.

I’d like Sterling in CM however unfortunately due to the rinsing Maeda gives Tav I’d probably be inclined to have Sterling in front of him and hopefully cutoff that supply for them.
If he was brave he would drop Tav and put Sterling back there so we aren’t needing our right winger to play the role of bailing our right back out all the time!

Thought lundstram was motm, never gave up anything

Tav should be dropped for Sterling
I honestly think if he does that we will beat them. If you are going to play Tav he has to be the one further forward as with him at right back you know that the chances of conceding are very high.

I honestly think if he does that we will beat them. If you are going to play Tav he has to be the one further forward as with him at right back you know that the chances of conceding are very high.
How about Sterling in the midfield, Balogan at RB and Tavernier further forward.

For me, I'd be dropping Lunny and playing Sterling in there with Dio.
Get young McAusland out on the right and while we're at it, on today's showing, I'd have Lawrence ahead of Cantwell.
I'd written Lawrence off tbf but he was very good today.
He has to play in the middle of everyone is fit but cos he continues with 4-3-3 he’s the only decent option we have at right wing , mcausland has been very poor recently , personally I think the shape should be changed to play without wide players as we don’t have any fit decent ones

McCausland. We have no other options.

Push Tav ahead of Sterling. The thought of him against Maeda is giving me PTSD,
Mate Tav isn't going to be dropped. And he shouldn't be either (but he is in poor form by his standards)

Pretty sure he's scored our last 3 goals at the piggery too?

Get young McAusland out on the right and while we're at it, on today's showing, I'd have Lawrence ahead of Cantwell.

Let's be honest, Lawrence was very good today because he came off the bench for a 20 minute cameo against a ten man Kilmarnock at Ibrox

Mate Tav isn't going to be dropped. And he shouldn't be either (but he is in poor form by his standards)

Pretty sure he's scored our last 3 goals at the piggery too?
He won’t but he should be. Every single team target our right side, there’s a reason for it. I love Tav, however, he is regressing at an alarming rate.

He’s scored in our last 2 at the piggery, we lost both games.

He won’t but he should be. Every single team target our right side, there’s a reason for it. I love Tav, however, he is regressing at an alarming rate.

He’s scored in our last 2 at the piggery, we lost both games.

I don’t think he’s regressing.

I think the midfield is absolutely woeful so his well known defensive deficiencies are more exposed than ever before.

Going forward, he’s on course for a record season.

He’s an asset to the team - we just need to find out how best to cover the various gaps.

You might be right but Lawrence was part of the problem at Dundee.
Cantwell was more than decent against Hearts.

For the game next week I would have a midfield 3 of lundstram, Sterling and Diomande. Some pace and athleticism in there as well as being structured. McCausland and silva out wide.

I don’t think he’s regressing.

I think the midfield is absolutely woeful so his well known defensive deficiencies are more exposed than ever before.

Going forward, he’s on course for a record season.

He’s an asset to the team - we just need to find out how best to cover the various gaps.
A very fair point well made Crouchy. As a team, we are not functioning in any area of the park.

A new spine is required, again, in the summer.

Agree , Sterling must be used to stop MacGregor

I agree.

However, guess next weekend, as much as I’d like to see him in the middle, he’ll probably be back out right to help Tav with Maeda.
Jack or kamara has helped tav in the past down that side , so i see Sterling filling that solid / physical presence role in front of Tav on Saturday

Next season we can talk about Sterling and diomande in central midfield

We will need 2 right wingers as Scott wright and Macausland aren’t going to do it next season
(In fairness probably a good case for macausland going out on loan , build himself up physically / to learn more about the game as times he has been caught out.

Lawrence needs space and the game stretched. If it's an hour of one and 30 mins of the other, Cantwell is the better choice to start as he can still impact the game in a more congested midfield.

It’s a fair shout.
I actually think Cantwell is better against Celtic as an impact sub when they have started to tire and gaps open up.
He’s not really a ball winner and ends up giving away fouls in the first stages of the game.

Do folk actually watch games

Lost possession
Diomande 14
Cantwell 12
Lundstram 7

Passes (sucessful)
Diomande 47/57 (82%)
Cantwell 29/33 (88%)
Lundstram 69/75 (92%)

Assists
Diomande 0
Cantwell 0
Lundstram 1
Aye, but those are just facts, and facts get in the way of what people want to see.

You'd be dropping the fulcrum of our midfield, the midfielder who statistically was the highest performing out of them all, and who drove us forward, you'd be dropping him for the biggest game of our season?

Lawrence was good because he was able to take advantage of a tiring Kille team. Cantwell starts because he is physically in a better place.

Lawrence is more of a goal threat but is not at full fitness and can have a real stinker some days.
Everything taken into account, Cantwell is probably the better choice to start.

The biggest issue we face is due to the fact that none of our forwards are quick enough to be a threat in behind.

It makes their job of pressing us much easier as they can sit on the halfway line and go man-to-man from there,

So I think for that reason alone we’ll look at playing Sterling wide right. I totally agree that he’s wasted there though.

Said it before the last OF and I’ll say it again. If Sterling doesn’t start in the middle of the park we’re not winning.

I agree.

However, guess next weekend, as much as I’d like to see him in the middle, he’ll probably be back out right to help Tav with Maeda.

I get your thinking but I'd just switch Sterling and Cantwell and allow the midfield 3 to shuffle across and cover the fullbacks. Sterling right side of the 3 could do that and still offer power in the middle.

Is Sterling good enough on the ball to play CM? I’m not to sure and his attributes are better suited to the wide areas in my opinion.
Bingo. My thoughts exactly. The obsession on here with people wanting Sterling shoehorned into a central area has baffled me for ages. Certainly from now til season end I'd much rather see Sterling on the right in front of Tav, to me that's the right flank sorted. Absolutely no need for Sterling to be central. What is it about him that makes people so convinced he has to be used centrally?

100 percent. He still done a job there, but I'd have him in the middle of the park v that lot. Get him in and about that wee prick mcgregor and don't give him time on the ball. Unfortunately it won't happen though.

I agree, Lundstram being drop and going with Sterling and Diomande would be the better pairing.

However injuries are the issues. Clement & Michael O’Neil have said it’s a complicated injury for McAusland and he’s being used sparingly to try and see and us through the season. If Cortes, Sima, Danilo, Matondo, Ridvan could have stayed fit we wouldn’t be in this predicament

I get your thinking but I'd just switch Sterling and Cantwell and allow the midfield 3 to shuffle across and cover the fullbacks. Sterling right side of the 3 could do that and still offer power in the middle.

I just think Cantwell is a man down playing on the wing.

FWIW and maybe not for this thread - I’d sell Cantwell in the summer. Just not sure he’s bringing enough to the us.

Shouldn't be a case of dropping anybody, just change to a 4-3-3 with Cantwell playing narrow off one of the wings. 3 in the middle is an absolute must next week.
Totally agree with this. More Walteresque set-up. Lundstram and Sterling breaking up with Dio playing as box to box 8. He'll give us more consistency in that area than Cantwell who is 1 good thing in 4 games at minute. Get Cantwell off the left side cutting in. Probably Silva on the right as Taylor not the quickest.

Back