Style of Play

rangers_champions

Thought 2nd half tonight was really enjoyable to watch at times last night. Wasnt as many big long diagonals. We seemed to get the ball down, play quick one twos, move into the spaces. Full backs overlapping, whipping decent balls into the box. They couldnt live with us.

Havent seen us knock the ball about like this since the game against Hearts at Ibrox when we had just got back to the top of the league. Sure we won 5-0.

It is obviously easier now we have nothing to play for but this is the style we want rather that big long 50/50 balls.

Helps when the pressure is off. We saw the same tail end of last season. Celtic game especially.
Totally agree.

I’m under no illusions, I wasn’t impressed at all by the likes of cantwell & wright turning it on when it means nothing.

Wright’s first league goals in 2 years & Cantwell’s first in 3 month

Yilmaz driving forward on quite a few occasions and beating 1,2,3 players makes a huge difference. It then seems to inspire others to be a bit more direct. I thought he was class last night.

Thought 2nd half tonight was really enjoyable to watch at times last night. Wasnt as many big long diagonals. We seemed to get the ball down, play quick one twos, move into the spaces. Full backs overlapping, whipping decent balls into the box. They couldnt live with us.

Havent seen us knock the ball about like this since the game against Hearts at Ibrox when we had just got back to the top of the league. Sure we won 5-0.

It is obviously easier now we have nothing to play for but this is the style we want rather that big long 50/50 balls.
We attacked. We were much more direct and got men in the box.

Could and should have scored a few more. Of course we will revert back to the passive, slow turgid, cautious approach again on Saturday and the cup final.

3 of the main culprits this season for the slow insipid football were not in the team so it's hard to say it's due to no pressure on those who were playing instead.

Lawrence, Borna, Goldson (injured) and Lundstram should be nowhere near the cup final. Lets see if we play a similar style to the second half last night. I won't hold my breath.

Ouwith a dead rubber Old Firm, Cantwell has not performed like that against Celtic. Its a lot easier when the pressure is off.

If we continue to defend like we have been the the cup final will be over in a flash. We gave Dundee a 2 goal advantage last night.

I think we underestimate the importance of just “running around, being busy and getting stuck in”

MCAusland’s scored just because he wanted it more. Last goal I can remember like that was Ross McCrorie v Aberdeen when he just threw himself at a header.

What ever we do next season we need a busy player in the final third. Novo and Naismith spring to mind.

I struggle to see what diamonde is offering in the play. Cant quite suss out the 4.5 mil fee were gonna spend on him

I think we underestimate the importance of just “running around, being busy and getting stuck in”

MCAusland’s scored just because he wanted it more. Last goal I can remember like that was Ross McCrorie v Aberdeen when he just threw himself at a header.

What ever we do next season we need a busy player in the final third. Novo and Naismith spring to mind.
I think the hope was Cortes would be that guy. Lots of energy, always looking to get on the ball, and cut inside to shoot at goal.

That’s exactly what the manager was implying in his post match interview he totally went on about it for a good few minutes about how important it is to not switch off as it is the difference between a top player and an average pro

First half was as bad as anything this season. Sick of these chancers being reactive rather than proactive. Seen this movie many times before. Let's see if they actually do it when it matters in the cup final.

We don’t have one mate

There’s some truth in this based on recent performances but then I struggled to see one under Beale and Gio before that.

Only boils down for me to the fact several players just aren’t good enough and need replaced, hope we have a busy summer and an unrecognisable line up for opening day next season

My growing concern is we don't actually have one, or if we do it's so poorly executed it's hard to recognise.

Hopefully next season once we have some new signings and players back from injury it will look very different but sometimes it feels like Clement just picks the team, tells them the formation and hopes for the best.

Over the summer will be interesting
Remember Beale completely changed the way his team play over last summer, and not in a good way

We need quicker more mobile players I cant go another season of Tav getting rinsed every week and throwing the ball back the way.
its time to move forward.

I’d prefer the way we played in the second half if it was consistent.

Shorter passes closer together, passing forward, one-two touches and taking time to consider a good pass.

We played far better second half but that’s the style we should have hit the filth with on Saturday.

It does help when Lundstram isn’t slowing everything down to walking pace which doesn’t help at all. Also does my box in when we pass backwards, it does absolutely nothing.

Hopefully Clement is going to be coaching forward passing for next season.

I also thoght that Tav was pretty decent at CB, although not really tested, and it also allowed McKinnon up the pitch more at RB,

And dare I say it, it also kept Tav back in our own half.
Which kept him out of the way from an attacking perspective. Because I think when Tav is in the final 3rd of the pitch, then a lot of the time other players always seem to want to play it to Tav quite a lot.

I also thoght that Tav was pretty decent at CB, although not really tested, and it also allowed McKinnon up the pitch more at RB,

Which kept him out of the way from an attacking perspective. Because I think when Tav is in the final 3rd of the pitch, then a lot of the time other players always seem to want to play it to Tav quite a lot.

Very noticeable. It’s like they think oh shit he’s better than me so give him the ball. I’ve noticed guys like Wright do it when they were far better carrying the ball themselves.

Macausland as average a footballer as he is moves around a lot and his energy creates space. We need more legs to be less one dimensional.

Over the summer will be interesting
Remember Beale completely changed the way his team play over last summer, and not in a good way

part of the problem there was he set up a squad to play a certain way
and binned it within 45mins to revert to a system that we were not catered for squadwise

A style of play is all any fan wants to see.
Not convinced the end result was because there was no pressure on, if anything the end result was because the HT message to the manager & players was that the 1st half performance was again unacceptable & if anything the pressure was back on them.
Maybe it took the team time to realise Lundstram wasn't there to slow things down but I'm unsure if Dundee hadn't went 2 up & say Mcausland buried his early chance we wouldn't have seen more of the same approach from us over the 90mins.
But 2nd half was good to watch but how we generally approach games is abysmal and that needs to change

I actually think Wright could do it in the cup final, doubt it will happen but id play him through the middle alongside Dessers.

You are absolutely right we need more speed and movement, Raskin and Yilmaz give us that so hopefully both are fit.

hes not recreating initial form but still trying and being tenacious

i'm hoping its down to - number of games having not had a preseason & the midfield around him has largely been horrific
Thats a fair point but i look at it from spending 4.5 on him or using that to reinforce a shambolic defence and ad much rather we used that for the defence. Am not saying hes a bad player am just not excited by it all either

That’s exactly what the manager was implying in his post match interview he totally went on about it for a good few minutes about how important it is to not switch off as it is the difference between a top player and an average pro
Look at how many games Nacho won for us despite being pretty limited. The same with Maeda for the bheasts.

We have obsessed over technical types like Aribo etc but often you need a “system breaker” kind of player who just chases and hurries the opposition into a mistake.

I actually think Wright could do it in the cup final, doubt it will happen but id play him through the middle alongside Dessers.

You are absolutely right we need more speed and movement, Raskin and Yilmaz give us that so hopefully both are fit.
I like the idea of changing something up in the final. Two through the middle, one with pace.

Especially against SPL teams, we would beat all the dross but just chasing them into mistakes.

He was extremely vocal and keeping everyone in position. Was quite weird to see!

Back