Surely Silva should be dropped

Agreed. Originally I was hopeful that Silva would be a good addition and early signs suggested so - good work rate, technique and link up play. But in reality over time it’s clear that he contributes very little in terms of tangible returns and his diving is embarrassing. Matondo, for all his limitations, would be a better option wide left. So would Lawrence, he can play there too.

Doesn’t suit being on the left, Suits being a striker that comes deep but our wide men don’t get close enough to the striker to play with that style so he would be dropped for me

He would suit playing up too with sima to the left but dessers has confidence just now so can’t risk it

Player playing out of position and not very well shocker.

Our form dropped off a cliff when Phil started the Silva left experiment.

It worked in Portugal as he had something to prove in his homeland.

Since then he is a waste of a jersey out there, that said I’ve seen McCausland getting it tight on another thread, it’s true what did he offer yesterday?

Agreed. Originally I was hopeful that Silva would be a good addition and early signs suggested so - good work rate, technique and link up play. But in reality over time it’s clear that he contributes very little in terms of tangible returns and his diving is embarrassing. Matondo, for all his limitations, would be a better option wide left. So would Lawrence, he can play there too.

What diving?

He should be dropped.

But with our arguably first choice front 3 all injured, who replaces him ?

I'd go to the midfield diamond & play a front two.
I've already said the same, our wide options are about as use as a chocolate tea pot right now. So instead of shoehorning players out of position why not try something different?
If he is so determined to play Silva play him up top, put Sterling into a 3 man CM and Cantwell as a roaming 10. Then let your width come from your fullbacks

Player playing out of position and not very well shocker.

Our form dropped off a cliff when Phil started the Silva left experiment.

It worked in Portugal as he had something to prove in his homeland.

Since then he is a waste of a jersey out there, that said I’ve seen McCausland getting it tight on another thread, it’s true what did he offer yesterday?
So working in Portugal makes you an expert in all things Portuguese

Play Matondo there, he’ll be terrible, then there will be calls for him to be dropped.

Ditto with Wright and McCausland.

Play Sterling there, there will be calls for him to be moved back to midfield, or on to the right, or to left back as people don’t like Barisic if Yilmaz is still out.

Manager can’t win.

I said on here after his first 2 or 3 games that he would get nowhere near 10 goals for us, right now I think he's struggling for 10 goal contributions.
People are blinded by his fee which was lets face it a Jorge Mendes scam anyway.

He is one of the least effective forwards I've seen play for us in the top flight. Utterly hopeless looking far too often but if he's dropped I really don't see who we bring in given our injuries.

He's awful. Unfortunately the alternatives aren't any better at the moment.

Wolves would have been better just not sending him out on loan at all, his value must have fallen off a cliff as a result of this loan move.

Injuries have really fvcked us this season, two on the wing starting yesterday who aren't actually wingers and although they try their best just aren't effective in that position. I don't think Silva would be any better in his natural position though to be honest.

Play Matondo there, he’ll be terrible, then there will be calls for him to be dropped.

Ditto with Wright and McCausland.

Play Sterling there, there will be calls for him to be moved back to midfield, or on to the right, or to left back as people don’t like Barisic if Yilmaz is still out.

Manager can’t win.
Yep. Choosing our front three right now must be a case of the manager writing down Dessers name and then drawing two other names out of a hat. There aren't any strong options at all.

I was wondering about Lawrence on the left or Cantwell on the right but I think Lawrence is too slow now and moving Cantwell probably just hurts our midfield. Sima and Cortes injuries have been an absolute f*cker.

He's awful. Unfortunately the alternatives aren't any better at the moment.

Wolves would have been better just not sending him out on loan at all, his value must have fallen off a cliff as a result of this loan move.

Injuries have really fvcked us this season, two on the wing starting yesterday who aren't actually wingers and although they try their best just aren't effective in that position.
Sima has been a massive miss and the same could be for said for Cortes who early on looked promising coming off the left hand side.

Every other wide player at the Club is simply not good enough.

Probably won't get many agreeing with me, but I think Silva's has a rough time of it here. Have we ever played him through the middle? He's certainly never had a run of games out there. He's being hung out to dry on the left.

He's been rotten but being played out of position hasn't helped either either.

The injuries and the lack of quality options outwide has absolutely fucked us this season.

First response and all that. Nailed it.

The fact we've relied so heavily on McCausland and Wright is a damning indictment on our recruitment, it all goes back to the summer. It genuinely bewilders me that we started the season with only Sima, Matondo and Wright as wide options. If we hadn't had stumbled upon McCausland out of desperation, then the trajectory of our season would be completely different.

I’d personally be tweaking the system a bit as we don’t have many viable options out wide at the moment. We are one more injury away from having to change the system anyway surely?

Two up top with a diamond behind them?

It’s also deep into a title race, so there may be a reluctance to change things now. Bit of a headache for Clement with this squad, but he’s had the same headache since he joined.

Yep. Choosing our front three right now must be a case of the manager writing down Dessers name and then drawing two other names out of a hat. There aren't any strong options at all.

I was wondering about Lawrence on the left or Cantwell on the right but I think Lawrence is too slow now and moving Cantwell probably just hurts our midfield. Sima and Cortes injuries have been an absolute f*cker.
Cantwell did have his best seasons for Norwich playing off the left and making late runs into the box inside.

But there was an uproar when Clement first came in and Cantwell wasn't playing as a ten. Fans don't seem to like Lawrence anymore so I can't see us shifting him back to ten and Cantwell to the left.

The problem we have is most of the guys filling these spots out wide would be squad options at best in a Rangers team in an ideal world, and that is probably being kind to them.

dropped for who? Sima is injured, Matondo does nothing when he starts games, McCausland has pretty much come to a standstill, Wright is well Wright
Exactly this, so if Clement insists on playing with two wingers, we are stuck.
, he needs to look at a change of formation.

I’d personally be tweaking the system a bit as we don’t have many viable options out wide at the moment. We are one more injury away from having to change the system anyway surely?

Two up top with a diamond behind them?

It’s also deep into a title race, so there may be a reluctance to change things now. Bit of a headache for Clement with this squad, but he’s had the same headache since he joined.

We don't have the players to play a narrow system either. Which is ironic, because it seems that was Beale's whole plan in the summer. We don't have the legs in midfield for it. Fullback wise, I don't think Tav or Barisic/Yilmaz have it in the tank at this stage in the season either.

I would either drop him and go 4-3-1-2 with Cantwell behind Dessers and Roofe.

Or 4-3-2-1 with Cantwell and Silva, the two number 10's behind Dessers.

The 3 centre midfielders in both would be Lundstram, Sterling and Diomande.

The last month we have been completely overrun in midfield so that would maybe sort that problem as well as either playing Silva in the middle (where he is more effective) or having 2 upfront for something different.

However, I don't see Clement changing his formation so probably a moot point.

Outwith Sima and Cortes our wide options are an embarrassment.
Cortes is only a young guy too.

He done well when he came in and looked the part but I'd still be wary of pinning hopes on him next season (if we are to sign him).

He hasn't been great and he annoyed me greatly during the OF game as he did got down far too easily a few times, however, Sutton, BBC and the rest of the Scottish media were raging and have started this diving story following the OF penalty which was correctly given as he was kicked on the knee.

They have even tried to claim he dived when he clearly tripped over his own feet / the ball in last weeks semi v Hearts.

St Mirren fans were all over it yesterday, giving him the treatment. Looks like our fans believe it as well.

We don't have many options currently so we are going to need him between now and end of May. Then he will be on his way back to Wolves and will probably end up on loan in Spain or Portugal next season.

Let’s face it, he’s not every good and his theatrics are embarassing.

Of course he should be dropped as he bring nothing to the team, but what options do we have? Who would we bring in instead of him?

Due to injuries we aren’t exactly blessed with players his position (whatever that it is).

The loan contract maybe stipulate he HAS to play so many games...Wolves maybe don't want him sitting on the bench week in week out

Could Roofe offer us something tucked in from the left? He did it often under Gerrard but we're obviously way down the line now in terms of his fitness and ability to contribute.

Can't offer much less than Silva though, surely?

I've already said the same, our wide options are about as use as a chocolate tea pot right now. So instead of shoehorning players out of position why not try something different?
If he is so determined to play Silva play him up top, put Sterling into a 3 man CM and Cantwell as a roaming 10. Then let your width come from your fullbacks

We played Sterling wide right yesterday, he spent the first half twenty yards in field, he never showed for Tav once out wide. The one time he did have the opportunity to run there full back he ran it straight out of play.

It was clearly the tactics from Clement to get the width from full backs, the first goal came from a Barisic cross, the second a Tav cross.

Back