Surely Silva should be dropped

Precisely. There are no good options, just terrible ones.

Matondo earned his chance last weekend at Hampden to play wide left, then proceeded to stink the place out. Spent most of the game falling over his own feet.

The squad is a complete riot.
Sterling is probably the only player that has grabbed the opportunity with both hands.

Surely playing Cantwell off the left and having another midfielder in there would be better than this nonsense we’re watching? 35m great British pounds. Jesus.

I actually thought we started to look really poor when he came on in the semi against Hearts.

He clearly isn’t good of the left and I’m not sure he is that good at all.

A few posters have mentioned this, if you have players injured and can’t play the system you want then why don’t you change your system.
If you want wingers but your wingers are injured then change it ,I have never seen the logic in manager doing this. I’d think a manager has more than one system they like to play.

That's fine, that's your opinion.

When he came in he was running at defenders and committing them, yesterday I watched him and he looked like it was actively hiding from receiving the ball, hiding behind opposition players and anytime he got it turned and passed it back.
Ok enjoy having a go at a young boy playing out of position.
Selective eyesight perhaps.
Was he really worse than £35m man

Seeing him play has me questioning the manager.
Silva isn't a winger so to say he's the only option for there whilst genuine wide men are injured is absolute nonsense.

Even when Matondo was fit, this manager selected Silva.
There are more options than just Silva. Lawrence could play there. McCausland could play there. Cantwell could play there. The manager has to see that there are options other than Silva. The fact he keeps picking him and then subbing him off because he was inevitably shit raises reservations for me.

Our football is dreadful. We are disorganized mish mash of chaos.

Is it so difficult to understand that there is nobody else to play there?

"Jist drop him" means %^*& all if there's nobody else to replace him.

McCausland was dreadful when he came on.

And lets not mention that the talk is exaggerated because the Tim media have had a go at him.

Having a go?

Is he immune from criticism? he's 21 not 16.
Yup a 21 year old playing his first full season is entitled to a bit of latitude instead of the destructive rhetoric on here from some posters.
It’s not really hard to understand.
The criticism is over the top and why some Rangers supporters on here generally delight in turning on our own not clever or even accurate.

Those hopeful posts when he signed seem so long ago now.

Would have been better sticking with Lammers in hindsight. Even his benchmark performance against Benfica quoted by many has me puzzled.

Still hoping he has a match winning performance in him in the few games left.

Last edited:
Silva is not a wide-left player. He made his name in Portugal playing in a free role behind the main striker. When left, he needs to be coached on how to position himself. Jack Grealish is a great example. Not a natural left-winger but he has adapted with good coaching. Silva plays with his back to the full-back and invariably is moving back to meet the ball and then has to make a wide turn infield with the defender right on top of him. His back should be to the touchline facing infield and that will give him a yard or two of space to get away from the marker.

It’s a miracle we are still in the hunt for this title with our forward line this season. It has been absolutely dreadful at times. Silva shows flashes but like most of our wide players he has very little end product. McCausland was very poor yesterday too. Lost count of the amount of times he ran full pelt at the defender who had the ball and simple got side stepped as he over committed. School boy stuff.

It’s a miracle we are still in the hunt for this title with our forward line this season. It has been absolutely dreadful at times. Silva shows flashes but like most of our wide players he has very little end product. McCausland was very poor yesterday too. Lost count of the amount of times he ran full pelt at the defender who had the ball and simple got side stepped as he over committed. School boy stuff.

Lining up at home to the bheasts with a front 3 of Silva, Dessers and Wright was depressing. The injuries to Cortes, Danilo and Sima were a huge blow for us.

Because the other options aren't much better. McCausland and Wright are both awful as well.

I think this is harsh on McCausland.

He is OK, still young & has been struggling for form. However his pace & directness gives teams something to think about. He has a little bit of unpredictablilty which can see him get past a couple of players with a burst of pace & disrupt the lines.

He was good in the cup semi & just his presence vs St Mirren made a difference after he came on.

We are a much better team with pace & directness either side of the front 3 & given options, I'd much rather have McCausland playing than persist with Silva on the left.

He is OK, still young & has been struggling for form. However his pace & directness gives teams something to think about. He has a little bit of unpredictablilty which can see him get past a couple of players with a burst of pace & disrupt the lines.

He was good in the cup semi & just his presence vs St Mirren made a difference after he came on.

We are a much better team with pace & directness either side of the front 3 & given options, I'd much rather have McCausland playing than persist with Silva on the left.
I have rarely witnessed this directness, and beating a couple of players you mention. Quite the opposite in fact.

I have rarely witnessed this directness, and beating a couple of players you mention. Quite the opposite in fact.

He literally runs inside past a few folk most games & tries to play a quick ball. Virtually his only move.

A lot of the time he runs down blind alleys & gets crowded out. Still harder to defend than Silva doing absolutely zilch that he should be on the left

I'd drive him back to Wolves today. I know Scott Wright is a whipping boy (earned), but he couldn't bring any less to the team than Silva.

Seeing him play has me questioning the manager.
Silva isn't a winger so to say he's the only option for there whilst genuine wide men are injured is absolute nonsense.

Even when Matondo was fit, this manager selected Silva.
There are more options than just Silva. Lawrence could play there. McCausland could play there. Cantwell could play there. The manager has to see that there are options other than Silva. The fact he keeps picking him and then subbing him off because he was inevitably shit raises reservations for me.

Our football is dreadful. We are disorganized mish mash of chaos.
The issue with what you’re saying is that a number of those options won’t work or weren’t available to the manager. Matondo was coming back from an injury. McCausland is a right winger and he’s been equally ineffective. He also doesn’t have the physicality of Silva. Cantwell wide? Not close to being disciplined enough. Lasted 35 mins in Europe. Also takes away one of our biggest threats from the middle of the park. Lawrence? No legs. The manager knows - it’s why we signed Cortes. The issue is we have Danilo, Cortes, Sima, Matondo all out injured. There is nobody else.

We're basically shuffling players in the hope they come up with a big contribution - see Matondo, for example, regularly dreadful but can bring a Hibs/Celtic moment.

Silva has lost his way recently similar to many others. I don't think he's a player suitable to Scottish football.

If it was up to a lot of our supporters on here we’d start games with Butland, Diomande, Cantwell and maybe Alan Gow up front. Everyone is brilliant at talking about who needs punted but then provide either ridiculous alternatives or no alternatives.

I think the boy has something about him but he’s not been playing well for a few weeks and seems to have misunderstood the culture of our club a bit with his histrionics. We need to stop completely writing players off every time there is a dip in form though, our options are clearly limited and a run of bad form doesn’t necessarily mean that a player is useless and can’t contribute something. Particularly with younger players.

Rangers isn’t an easy club to play for and mentality is as important as ability when you sign for us. Some players take a bit of time to adjust to that and confidence can easily take a hit. Yilmaz is a good example of that, people wanted him packed back off to Turkey and now a very large percentage of our support are desperate to see him return. A few bad games doesn’t make you a waste of space and a few good games doesn’t make you a world beater. There is rarely any balance in our support though.

When he first arrive i thought he had some nice touches,but i dont think he has shown enough to merit a start.Its a shame because i want him to do well,he doesent lack effort but its not working for him at the moment.

He might do OK linking with Ridvans runs inside making space for him but with Sterling or Borna there's no chemistry at all. Tbf to him yesterday Mcausland got nothing out that side either they were really solid that side.

What is the cut-off age when players are no longer considered young?

One of many decisions over the last 5 or 6 weeks that are a bit worrying if I’m honest. Too many times the manger has to ‘fix’ his starting lineup in the second half.

Completely disagree, thought he was poor in both tbh and that directness and pace he used when he first came into the side, hasn’t been used for ages now.

Back