Swap Sterling and Tav positions for Saturday.

1978RFC.

Not sure why we don’t try this but seems like an immediate solve to a problem, Sterling clearly prefers the defensive side of things, Tav clearly excels going forward.

Just switch them round and we have a more sound defence and a right sided forward player who knows that side of the game and his way to goal

I’d be tempted to start with:
Butland
Tavernier Souttar Balogun (if fit) Yilmaz
Sterling Lundstram
Cantwell Diomande McCausland
Dessers

Energy and movement gives us the best chance along with strength in midfield.
Balogun should be playing right centre back to help Tav.
He has far better recovery pace that Souttar despite his age, and his positional sense is also better.

Can't believe I'm saying our captain needs help against that lot, but they will definitely target him, his recent form has been appalling.

Last edited:
Not sure why we don’t try this but seems like an immediate solve to a problem, Sterling clearly prefers the defensive side of things, Tav clearly excels going forward.

Just switch them round and we have a more sound defence and a right sided forward player who knows that side of the game and his way to goal
Saturday might be a gamble but it's definitely something that should be considered if Tav is here next year. Has been suggested many times on here over the years to move Tav forward and been thrown out as crazy but he is probably one of the best finishers at the club and has an instinct to be in the right place when near the goal. He doesn't have the pace he once had to be bombing up from deep and is smart enough to be able to adapt to being a bit further forward.

Because if we let their 3 dominate again we won't win the game.
Why are you so convinced that Sterling is the answer to that?

Genuine question not picking an argument. Lots of clamour for Sterling centrally and I'm not sure I'm on board with it. Help me understand! What does he offer that none of the other midfielders do?

Reactions: dmg
What has Sterling done at RB to merit that? I said on another post I think he’s played there maybe twice for us? He was poor both times

Genuine question not picking an argument. Lots of clamour for Sterling centrally and I'm not sure I'm on board with it. Help me understand! What does he offer that none of the other midfielders do?
Physicality, energy, closing down, ball-winning. Does all of that better than Lundstram or Diomande. Even then there's no guarantees because their 3 are very good players, but if its Lundstram and Diomande on their own again they'll pass rings round them.

Think tav needs to come onto the game to be effective, they’ll just sit Maeda on him 20 yards further forward and it will still be game over , he’d sit Saturday out for me
Put Sterling in for him and push Tav further forward?

Last edited:
Physicality, energy, closing down, ball-winning. Does all of that better than Lundstram or Diomande. Even then there's no guarantees because their 3 are very good players, but if its Lundstram and Diomande on their own again they'll pass rings round them.
Fair comments. I feel like those attributes could be just as effective out on the right as well because I'm pretty sure celtic will try and get the ball out wide to expose the full backs as much as possible especially Tav as he's known for his struggles in this fixture.

To me if dio and lunny sat a little deeper next to each other in the first half particularly then I don't see why that can't be a solid enough partnership to at least secure us in that first half, with one of Lawrence or cantwell in front to hopefully capitalise on any counters we may have. Dio to me has comparable legs and athleticism to Sterling and should be wiser for his first OF experience as well, plus I think he's better on the ball.

I'd be happy enough if we started with the above because while it's a must win game for us it's also a must not chase game too. 90 mins to get the job done. The first half hour especially for us is one to navigate without any damage like the last fixture.

I'd put Stering in and push Tav further up

Put Sterling in for him and push Tav further forward?
I think tav needs to come onto the game from deep mate , a lot of midfielders game is ball into feet with their back to goal , listen if it means keeping him away from right back I’m all for it :)) But I’d probs go with Sterling and a natural wide player in front of him

Sterling was our best midfielder in the December game. His blocks and interceptions helped us dominate the midfield. Our attackers didn't do their jobs that day, but our midfield was in the game for a change

Contrast to the latest game where our midfield was totally absent for the first half

When Sterling played alongside Lundstram earlier in the year I felt we looked at our strongest. Nothing was getting past him. He was winning every tackle and his distribution was really good.

The other thing that confuses me slightly is that when Diomande first arrived I’m sure he was playing slightly further forward and it was felt he was more of a box to box player, yet Clement seems to have settled on him playing deeper alongside Lundstram meaning no role for Sterling in there now.

When Sterling played alongside Lundstram earlier in the year I felt we looked at our strongest. Nothing was getting past him. He was winning every tackle and his distribution was really good.

The other thing that confuses me slightly is that when Diomande first arrived I’m sure he was playing slightly further forward and it was felt he was more of a box to box player, yet Clement seems to have settled on him playing deeper alongside Lundstram meaning no role for Sterling in there now.
Diomande played further forward against Motherwell and he did nothing, was totally lost.

He's a CDM, and he's decent at it, just leave him there

I think Cantwell should sit this one out. Bulk up the midfield with Sterling, Diomande and Lundstram.

Stay in the game and then go for it in the final 30.

I fear a calamity of a first 10mins

I’d put Sterling in the middle but it leaves us a major headache - who plays right midfield ahead of Tav that will offer him the protection he needs? For those saying move Tav - he’s our best hope of a goal.

I’d put Sterling in the middle but it leaves us a major headache - who plays right midfield ahead of Tav that will offer him the protection he needs? For those saying move Tav - he’s our best hope of a goal.
A couple of months ago it would be an easy decision with Mcauseland, but he hasn’t been the same player since that tadger nearly broke him in two, he is clearly still hampered by it.

And I think we all agree it can’t be Scott Wright.

Clement doesn’t have to many options to tinker with, and there’s not going to be any mad changes as is being suggested in some quarters

Diomande played further forward against Motherwell and he did nothing, was totally lost.

He's a CDM, and he's decent at it, just leave him there
I’m not really disagreeing, but it does appear to preclude Sterling playing there.

Surely Clement has thought about pairing Sterling with Diomande, but it would be at the expense of Lundstram and that seems to be unthinkable for the manager.

Aye, lets experiment on a game where if we lose they may as well parade the trophy. Jesus chr1st.
To be fair leaving tav to defend against maeda again is suicide. He roasts him constantly.
I dont think its the wildest call by the OP.

As for sayings its not the game to experiment, walter often threw in a curve ball v them. There is actually an argument to be made that we need to try something new as our normal set up v them has been hopeless this season.

Only way I'd consider swapping them positions is if Sterling was on the bench yesterday ......

I'm not a fan of sterling right wing, but I do feel it will work better against that lot. Who terrify Tav down that side.

Tavernier is our weak point defensively and one which teams have learned to consistently try to expose.
I don't think we can change for a one off game. We'll try and shore up the weakness by playing Balogun right and Souttar left central defence.
Our best counter to it is to attack them. Pressure them and keep them on the back foot. Tav can still positively influence the game in this respect, he will come forward but not over expose himself too far forward. Hopefully a fit Ridvan will give us that drive from the full back areas.
Go for them and I think we'll win in what could be a high scoring game. Try and contain them and we'll lose.

Ive said for the past 2 seasons why dont we try Tav more like a RW with a good RB behind him.
That way he doesn't need to worry about leaving gaps behind him.

Not many, but it was sacked off for a reason.

There’s not a hope in hell of Tav playing anywhere else other than RB next week, none whatsoever
Oh no I know that. I'd have that experiment in mind for next season. Can't be averse to adjusting players positions though especially as they get older. If Tavs strength is going fwd and his weakness is a lack of pace exposing him defensively then it's absolutely worth considering a shift in role for Tav to keep him involved for another year or 2.

Fair comments. For me though the best performance I've seen this season (granted I've not seen every game) was the 5-0 Hearts with Tav and Sterling covering that right flank and Dio ran the midfield that day. Granted we had great balance then with the left side of Cortes and Ridvan. Since those 2 have been out of the side its been a nightmare for the boss to strike the right balance with what's left in the squad.
For me Clement hasn't done much wrong in terms of his selections with the options he's had. The players have got to step up and do the job that's required of them.

Sterling was our best midfielder in the December game. His blocks and interceptions helped us dominate the midfield. Our attackers didn't do their jobs that day, but our midfield was in the game for a change

Contrast to the latest game where our midfield was totally absent for the first half
That's not really how I remember the December OF in fairness don't remember us dominating midfield at any point. And the last one whatever the plan was was thrown into turmoil after 20 seconds so they're tough games to really gauge.

Dio and Lundstram are midfielders by trade. They've got to be trusted to do what's asked of them next week. Sterling in front of Tav at least helps to shore up that side of the pitch and nullify their threat. Plus sterling's athleticism can cover for Tav when he makes his moves forward from deep.

We discovered Sterling’s best position through necessity earlier in the season. Why he’s not being played there regularly is something only the manager can answer. Athletic, strong, reliable passer….get him in centre midfield!

What evidence is there that this will solve a perceived problem?

No.

Energy, physicality, box-box, speed and ability to drive us forwards.

Energy, physicality, box-box, speed and ability to drive us forwards.
Has he really demonstrated all of those things on a consistent basis though? Has he shown the intelligence needed for those attributes to be an asset for us in midfield? Are all of those things not just as useful out on the right? (With the exception of box to box of course, that would be up and down the right side either slotting in for Tav to go fwd or overlapping Tav to create an overload on that wing).

You can slice his attributes many ways it seems. Works against him somehow in not being used in the same position consistently.

Not saying I disagree with your comments btw I just have questions. I see us being more short on that right side of midfield than Central. Tav has had mccausland and Wright in the last 2 OFs in front of him and we've seen the non existent protection they've offered. That issue disappears for me with sterling there.

There's absolutely no chance that this is going to happen.

Back