Swap Sterling and Tav positions for Saturday.

It'd honestly a God awful suggestion.
It makes sense why people would suggest it. He's great attacking and rubbish at the back most of the time. But I agree with you, people aren't looking at the bigger picture of what that positional change would entail. Like I said above, we've been dying for a decent right winger for years yet none of the managers Tav has worked with have seen it fit to try him there. There's a reason for that. Will never happen.

It makes sense why people would suggest it. He's great attacking and rubbish at the back most of the time. But I agree with you, people aren't looking at the bigger picture of what that positional change would entail. Like I said above, we've been dying for a decent right winger for years yet none of the managers Tav has worked with have seen it fit to try him there. There's a reason for that. Will never happen.
Massively disagree with that.

His biggest strength for both scoring and creating come from dead ball situations. That isn't a great attacking fullback.

Agree with the rest of the post though.

I see people say sarcastically "let's experiment in the game we need to win".

This would hardly be a massive experiment. This is not taking Souttar and playing him as a number 10.

This is taking a RB from RW and putting him back at Right back because he is not very good as a winger. Then putting our current right back, who basically plays as a winger most games as a right winger. Tav has the trickery to beat players, can cross, has pace so right wing would not be that far out of his comfort zone.

Sterling at RW will not work on Sunday not because he is not a good player and not because his effort and desire won't be there, but just because he is not a good wide player.

It's a no brainer to play sterling rb against maeda based on the running power and fitness alone and the folk poo-pooing it are doing it for posturing most of them are trying to shoot something down as if they have a deeper knowledge of the game.

The balance problem is sterling might either be needed midfield or outwide.

The build up from the back with Tav is so formulaic the team might not like it. So I'd do it. Send them in out the comfort zone. They need to go in with a different mindset from ever before.

That bit is patently untrue...defensively decent and makes the odd mistake like every other player. Only those whose confirmation bias ignore anything positive in favour of this narrative keep espousing this view.

Tav's effectiveness in attack is precisely because he's coming from deeper positions, when the space opens up with everything in front of him, be that driving into the space, arriving late at the back post or coming in to be an extra body in central midfield. You simply don't get that if you become a winger. Entirely different kind of game, and the reason EVERY manager he's had at Rangers has recognised that it would be foolish to change it.

Not sure why we don’t try this but seems like an immediate solve to a problem, Sterling clearly prefers the defensive side of things, Tav clearly excels going forward.

Just switch them round and we have a more sound defence and a right sided forward player who knows that side of the game and his way to goal
Fs.
Phone Mr Clement.

I've been saying this for a while, but I really doubled down after the last OF game.

As much as this is an idea for me going forward, I think it actually might be pivotal going into the this game on Saturday because Tav simply cannot be allowed to defend against Maeda 1v1. It's a train wreck waiting to happen. Maeda haunts Tav, you could even see that in the 2nd half when we were the better team. He was continually checking over his shoulders in spots he didn't even have to in fear of Maeda being close. It impacts his game.

I get Sterling is relatively untried in this area for us, but 2 things I'd say in response to that:

1. He's ALOT more physically capable of handling Maeda in terms of speed and strength then Tav is. Whether we like it or not, Maeda is a huge threat and Tav isn't what he used to be in terms of ability to sprint up and down that touchline at the same speed / stamina / energy.

2. I don't think Sterling has failed us in any position he has played, including left back (the only issue was balance / left foot which isn't his fault). So considering his ability to play in any position for us and come out on top - I won't for a second listen to sanyone that says Sterling would be garbage or not good enough at right back, you're kidding yourself on if you assume that given his versatility and ability.

I'm a yes!

The bheasts have the same tactic in every old firm game, target the space in behind Tav with Maeda's pace. That tactic usually works for them. They are guaranteed to do the same thing again on Saturday.

Sterling is primarily a right back and has a lot more pace than Tav. It makes no sense not to use Sterling's pace to neutralise Maeda pace.

If we play the way we usually play we probable will lose a goal because Tav will be really high up the pitch during an attacking phase, then when the bheasts get possession they will quickly counter-attack and play the ball into the space for Maeda because Tav won't be able to track back quick enough.

Wouldn’t trial it in this game but I’ve never understood why Tav has never been moved up one. Maybe some of our managers have asked him and he doesn’t fancy it. Seems strange given he’s far better going forward than defending.

I think Sterling has to start in Midfield if we are to have any chance.

Lundstram, Sterling, DIomande as a 3, otherwise we just wont cope with the movement and pressing of the scums midfield.

On the Right, Tav with potentially Sima if he is fit for 60 mins, I think the fact we are concerned about Tav says enough about where we are with him, but we can't change everything to try and minimise the risk of him having one of his games vs them at the expense of where the game is ultimately going to be won or lost.

Wouldn’t trial it in this game but I’ve never understood why Tav has never been moved up one. Maybe some of our managers have asked him and he doesn’t fancy it. Seems strange given he’s far better going forward than defending.

It just doesn't work.

Further forward he is playing with his back to goal more than not taking the ball in, Tav is best when he is facing ahead and can go with it, or ghost in at the back post because the player ahead has occupied the Left back.

Tav scores most penalties and puts in good crosses from the bye line and can shoot and score from midfield. In defence he is poor and can cost us. It appears obvious where he should be playing.
Sterling is a full back who can defend and get forward if needed.
Wrong game to start with a change but on the other hand if we lose because of poor defending down our right then the change should have been made.
Maybe doing something new against the scum is not a bad idea and starting Lawrence in place of Lundstram would also help.

I’d be tempted to start with:
Butland
Tavernier Souttar Balogun (if fit) Yilmaz
Sterling Lundstram
Cantwell Diomande McCausland
Dessers

Energy and movement gives us the best chance along with strength in midfield.
I'd also put Sterling in beside Lundstram and push Diomande further forward. I'd play McAusland on the right and Lawrence on the left though. I'd also be inclined to start Roofe instead of Dessers and hope we can get an hour out of him.

That bit is patently untrue...defensively decent and makes the odd mistake like every other player. Only those whose confirmation bias ignore anything positive in favour of this narrative keep espousing this view.

Tav's effectiveness in attack is precisely because he's coming from deeper positions, when the space opens up with everything in front of him, be that driving into the space, arriving late at the back post or coming in to be an extra body in central midfield. You simply don't get that if you become a winger. Entirely different kind of game, and the reason EVERY manager he's had at Rangers has recognised that it would be foolish to change it.
Mate he's been making massive mistakes in almost all of our games recently. As soon as you say it on here you get told it's no true. Me and all the other people saying it aren't imagining it and I'm certainly not looking for a whipping boy, I love Tav.. but he's a massive problem and it's papered up by his numbers. People keep using the word "narrative", I'm not part of any narrative. I don't want to be negative about him. I'm saying it as I see it. Too many ball watchers and number counters on here who don't look at the bigger picture and how disruptive he is to our general game play. I'd argue the narrative is with the people who keep using the goals he gets to cover up the negatives.

Butland
Sterling Lundstram
Dessers

I think Balogun will be out, it looked like a groin injury on Sunday.

Mate he's been making massive mistakes in almost all of our games recently. As soon as you say it on here you get told it's no true. Me and all the other people saying it aren't imagining it and I'm certainly not looking for a whipping boy, I love Tav.. but he's a massive problem and it's papered up by his numbers. People keep using the word "narrative", I'm not part of any narrative. I don't want to be negative about him. I'm saying it as I see it. Too many ball watchers and number counters on here who don't look at the bigger picture and how disruptive he is to our general game play. I'd argue the narrative is with the people who keep using the goals he gets to cover up the negatives.
I'd be interested in what you would classify as a "massive mistake"? Remember, this defender has been an ever present in what is the tightest defence in the league.

If you're going to say he "lost a tackle" or "got caught out of position" or stuff like that then you can point to every other player on the pitch who's been guilty of the very same thing in the very same game...multiple times. Or are they "massive mistakes" that no one else makes?

Not sure why we don’t try this but seems like an immediate solve to a problem, Sterling clearly prefers the defensive side of things, Tav clearly excels going forward.

Just switch them round and we have a more sound defence and a right sided forward player who knows that side of the game and his way to goal
Can't understand the laughs on this post. I've been saying this for ages, more so this weekend. If Tav stays, this is the only way it works. Tav could rip them apart from midfield and both could overlap

Think tav needs to come onto the game to be effective, they’ll just sit Maeda on him 20 yards further forward and it will still be game over , he’d sit Saturday out for me
The last game aside if you look on twitter prior to the game you’d see loads of them saying how Tav and Maeda have good battles and Tav shackled him well.
One freak goal doesn’t change that.

Can't understand the laughs on this post. I've been saying this for ages, more so this weekend. If Tav stays, this is the only way it works. Tav could rip them apart from midfield and both could overlap
The laughter is because do you not think managers will have contemplated this? It’s a completely different game if you’re coming onto the game from full back as opposed to midfield or forward where your back is to the opponents goal a lot (something Tav struggles with when receiving passes)

It’s football manager, head in the clouds stuff.

Tavernier is a right back

The whole play him on the wing is boring and tedious. There are many reasons no one has tried it and why it hasnt happened, Tav not being able to play with his back to goal being the biggest

Pace, stamina, aggression and composure. The other 2 will play much better with Sterling in beside them.
Those attributes make him a good player yeah, not necessarily for a central midfield role though. And I'm not wholly convinced he's got the intelligence and composure on the ball to fully handle a central midfield battle in a fixture like the OF. We'll see what the boss decides. Ultimately I don't give a %^*& who plays where as long as we win.

Tavernier is a right back

The whole play him on the wing is boring and tedious. There are many reasons no one has tried it and why it hasnt happened, Tav not being able to play with his back to goal being the biggest
What are those reasons then? Has Tav had the best guy in behind him at RB previously to allow him the freedom he needs to be more influential further forward? Why would he need to play with his back to goal anyway from there? Not sure I understand that.

The last game aside if you look on twitter prior to the game you’d see loads of them saying how Tav and Maeda have good battles and Tav shackled him well.
One freak goal doesn’t change that.
I’m more talking tav attacking wise , unless we get a set piece he’s ineffective the majority of the time against Maeda

What are those reasons then? Has Tav had the best guy in behind him at RB previously to allow him the freedom he needs to be more influential further forward? Why would he need to play with his back to goal anyway from there? Not sure I understand that.
He is used to playing with space ahead of him, more often than not he is always driving forward with lots of space in front of him. Picks out passes from deep too. Thats his strengths why take that away?

That doesnt happen at right wing, our wingers spend a lot of time with their backs to goal. Especially in the last old firm game Silva and Sima were constantly coming short and no doubt Tav would do that too....for me thats one of Tavs biggest weaknesses and anytime he is caught with his back to goal he loses the ball 9 times out of 10.

The laughter is because do you not think managers will have contemplated this? It’s a completely different game if you’re coming onto the game from full back as opposed to midfield or forward where your back is to the opponents goal a lot (something Tav struggles with when receiving passes)

It’s football manager, head in the clouds stuff.
I respectfully disagree but take on board your points

I'd be interested in what you would classify as a "massive mistake"? Remember, this defender has been an ever present in what is the tightest defence in the league.

If you're going to say he "lost a tackle" or "got caught out of position" or stuff like that then you can point to every other player on the pitch who's been guilty of the very same thing in the very same game...multiple times. Or are they "massive mistakes" that no one else makes?
Hes been an ever present in the best defence in the league. He's also been an ever present in a large chunk of the goals that have cost us it. I do point at every other player aswell, this thread is about Tav. So I'm talking about Tav

Butland
Sterling Lundstram
Dessers

Yep posted essentially the same team in another thread except Davies for Balogun as assumed he wouldn’t be fit.

But the key to that line up is the strong midfield with Sterling, Lundstram and Diomande. I think not only does Sterling strengthen that midfield area just because of the player he is, I think it will enable both Lundstram and Diomande to play to their best game as well.

Gets Cantwell in the team, albeit wide, (although I’d have him inside a bit) and I think relieving him of the central/10 roll for this fixture, might release a bit of pressure/burden he may be feeling to do it all, allowing him to concentrate on occupying the forward areas of the pitch and he may end up being more effective. Tav overlapping to provide width on that side if Cantwell drift inside.

And I thought McCausland looked bright against Killie, so he brings pace to trouble their weak defence and provides natural width which maybe lost a little with Cantwell playing an inside wide position. I think McCausland and Yilmaz will link up well too.

Yep in summary, I think that is the best we can line up with. Balance and strength.

I wouldnt be against Tavernier right wing and Sterling right back.

Tav is a goal threat at that back post. We seen it in the Europa league run v Leipzig, Dortmund and Braga. Servette and PSV this season.

Aberdeen showed us that they struggle with a cross ball from the left hand side to the back post.

Tav's a goal threat there and i think Sterling would add a bit more strength and pace against Maeda who seems to have gave Tavernier a difficult time in the past with his closing down. I think Sterling has the strength and pace to deal with him better.

Just my opinion

I'm hoping Tav goes to Saudi Arabia in the summer so that we don't have to hear this suggestion anymore. About 7 years people have been banging on about it.

Has anyone said on here "never, ever happening" just wanted to check? Guessing, yes...

How can people watch Tav for literally 9 years and still don’t understand that his entire game is about pushing on from right back where he gives into feet then gets back on an overlap.

Losing his man at the back post for the Motherwell winner, Maeda's goal in the 3-3 game, 2 goals conceded down the right hand side against Ross County and at the weekend there for his own goal.

Or does losing your man before leading to a goal conceded not count as a mistake?

Sterling should be in the role Jack used to play, deep midfield covering Tav when he goes forward and throughout the game.

Back