Talking Transitions - Connor Goldson

Some amount of clowns on twitter taking his comments about the younger players at Rangers completely the wrong way and having a dig at Goldson.

I haven’t seen the interview yet, just a small clip, but I think he’s talking about how the culture in an around the dressing room has changed over the years.

Saying ‘good morning’ to people you pass in the corridor might not seem like much to those who have never been in that situation, but it’s about respect, being positive and friendly to your teammates and staff and building character.

SAF, in particular, spoke constantly about the importance of youth players carrying themselves in the right way at the training ground and the stadium, particularly around the senior pros and management etc.

As captain & vice captain they shouldn’t be role models? Especially when he’s referencing U18’s & U16’s who are between the ages of about 14-17.

If he speaks to a youth player once & they don’t do what he says he just “gives up, can’t be bothered”.

Maybe if you dae a jobby Connor the youth players will wipe yer arse for ye Connor.

Horrible mentality for a vice captain. He’ll never make a coach or manager with that POV.
Wow what a mis-interpretation of what he said.
He comes across really well, grounded and disciplined individual and you come out with that.

I haven’t seen the interview yet, just a small clip, but I think he’s talking about how the culture in an around the dressing room has changed over the years.

Saying ‘good morning’ to people you pass in the corridor might not seem like much to those who have never been in that situation, but it’s about respect, being positive and friendly to your teammates and staff and building character.

SAF, in particular, spoke constantly about the importance of youth players carrying themselves in the right way at the training ground and the stadium, particularly around the senior pros and management etc.
People saying “But Goldson isn’t their manager or coach” don’t understand the dressing room culture and how the old pros hold sway in that atmosphere. You see the likes of Beckham, Gerrard, Neville etc talk about it in their books and interviews, that respect and looking to impress and leave a good impression on them knowing they have the managers ear.

Let’s be honest, of both 08, and 22 as fans we look back most fondly on Fiorentina and Leipzig as opposed to Manchester or Seville

The success of getting there, deserves kudos… but that 08 squad and the 22 one, there can be no disputing that there’s a huge murmuring of “what could have been”

Something that could frankly be suggested at Goldson’s entire career up here.

Admittedly there are worse players in better Rangers teams that have significantly more winners medals than he has… it’s also easy to accept that he’s played in some of the worst Rangers sides in living memory and dragged them to some outstanding results

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest that Goldson has been an integral part of squads that have thrown winners medals away at times

The point about Seville will always stand… we beat better to get there

I don't really think he's said anything wrong, the timing made me wonder but he's a human being with his own personal/social life.

The reaction on twitter is total brainrot, the worst Rangers opinions can be found on there.

His runners up medal from Seville is his favourite medal...

Sums up the current issues at the club...

I’ve just listened to it and that’s not what he said at all.

He said it was probably his highest medal, as in the highest level medal he’ll win - which is probably true.

I thought he came across very well.

Sounds like a great professional with a brilliant attitude who came through the lower leagues and appreciates every opportunity he’s been given.

Lot of respect for the big man after listening to that.

Good interview from Connor. He comes across as someone that knows his limitations as a footballer and is honest.

A great watch. Comes across as an honest lad who has been through a lot and gives 100% every day and clearly loves Rangers.

Haters gonna hate unfortunately its the way of the world these days on social media and fan pages.

That's not what I'm saying, and I'm sure there are plenty who've played for the club who would love to add a European medal to their collection...

But I'd be willing to bet, that some of those who've won multiple league titles here would never swap a title for a runners up medal... European Elite competition, Petrofac cup, or anywhere in between
You genuinely believe that most of our players wouldn't swap an spl title or cup to have had the chance to play in a European final? I bet if you take a step back and think about that you'll realise you don't even believe that yourself mate. The Seville runners up meadow is my favourite aswell since goldson has played for us.

A great watch. Comes across as an honest lad who has been through a lot and gives 100% every day and clearly loves Rangers.

Haters gonna hate unfortunately its the way of the world these days on social media and fan pages.
That’s freedom of expression for you . This right which for some has no limits despite how grotesquely wrong and senseless there content is .

Last edited:
I thought he came across very well and clearly loves playing for Rangers, as for the bit some are getting their frillies fankled over he clearly says it’s a generational thing and that maybe the youngsters are too afraid to approach the older players.

It is nowhere near as bad as is being made out. The comment about talking to youngsters is more damming towards them than Goldson and it’s been taken way out of context.

See if this podcast came out in February, nobody would have batted an eyelid. There’s no problem if you don’t like the player but don’t go looking for things and making it more of a big deal due to recent performances.

Also, not many would have known about the issues with his young sons this year which has probably not helped with performances. I don’t know how you deal with that when it comes to having kids

It is nowhere near as bad as is being made out. The comment about talking to youngsters is more damming towards them than Goldson and it’s been taken way out of context.

See if this podcast came out in February, nobody would have batted an eyelid. There’s no problem if you don’t like the player but don’t go looking for things and making it more of a big deal due to recent performances.

Also, not many would have known about the issues with his young sons this year which has probably not helped with performances. I don’t know how you deal with that when it comes to having kids
Sorry mate but goldson is not a terry butcher or gough even a steven davis or barry ferguson.... he doesn't look like the kind of guy who is a leader in the dressing room or training pitch .. sometimes you need to earn respect in life.. he looks and acts as if he demands it..because hees a older player...

Remember the stevie gerrard qoute when he was a kid at Liverpool, he would push, older players out the way etc maybee just maybee these kids don't respect our captain and vice captain..

His runners up medal from Seville is his favourite medal...

Sums up the current issues at the club...

You are correct on this one.

Roger Hynd in Nuremburg in 1967 papped his ECWC runners up medal into the crowd.

Frankfurt fans were on here after Seville praising Rangers players for wearing their runners up ribbons/medals with pride.

Losers are always gonna be losers.

Until that mentality is phased out, and I mean bombed and strafed, nothing changes.

Sorry mate but goldson is not a terry butcher or gough even a steven davis or barry ferguson.... he doesn't look like the kind of guy who is a leader in the dressing room or training pitch .. sometimes you need to earn respect in life.. he looks and acts as if he demands it..because hees a older player...

Remember the stevie gerrard qoute when he was a kid at Liverpool, he would push, older players out the way etc maybee just maybee these kids don't respect our captain and vice captain..

I’ve heard a lot of first hand things that went on at the training ground with young players under Mullholland and Wilson and it’s no wonder they are how they are. It’s not Goldson’s job to change them, it’s the academy staff and I know for a fact it was pointed out to Mullholland about a few of the young players from people on the first team and he just laughed it off.

One example was someone telling him about the attitude of a young player coming through and how he had to change if he was going to make it and Mullholland’s line was “if you change his attitude then you change the player” which was meaning he should be allowed to get away with it.

Since people like Gerrard and Kevin Thomson left the club, the edge has gone with our young players. Just have a look at the results.

Spoken like a true balloon who hasn't watched the full interview.

People saying “But Goldson isn’t their manager or coach” don’t understand the dressing room culture and how the old pros hold sway in that atmosphere. You see the likes of Beckham, Gerrard, Neville etc talk about it in their books and interviews, that respect and looking to impress and leave a good impression on them knowing they have the managers ear.
Richard Gough was ruthless with young Rangers players.if a young player called him by his nick name.he would say to them “it’s mr Gough to you”

Roger Hynd in Nuremburg in 1967 papped his ECWC runners up medal into the crowd.

Frankfurt fans were on here after Seville praising Rangers players for wearing their runners up ribbons/medals with pride.

Until that mentality is phased out, and I mean bombed and strafed, nothing changes.
No he isn't. He's added his own little bit of tabloid spin to Goldson's comments.

I thought he came across very well and clearly loves playing for Rangers, as for the bit some are getting their frillies fankled over he clearly says it’s a generational thing and that maybe the youngsters are too afraid to approach the older players.
Young Ross McCausland after his mistake in Betis when he failed to track his man said that in the dressing room afterwards goldson gave him words of encouragement.

I'm surprised Tav and Goldson have any time to play football with all these extra jobs people think they should have.

They are footballers. They do what the manager tells them and what he allows them to do.
In any halfway decent workplace you’ll find the experienced folk doing informal coaching & development of the new/younger colleagues though.
A lot of it is done through role modelling and all that “setting standards” that we talk about so much in relation to Rangers.
The senior employees/players set the tone - it’s probably never written down but it is the accepted norm.

I’m sure the senior players are Rangers, and at most football clubs, do their bit - the problem can be that the youngsters don’t pick it up, maybe not at the time anyway.
I know that when I was a youngster in offices I found the whole “good morning” bit quite awkward and I probably came across like a bit of a dick for it.

I’ve heard a lot of first hand things that went on at the training ground with young players under Mullholland and Wilson and it’s no wonder they are how they are. It’s not Goldson’s job to change them, it’s the academy staff and I know for a fact it was pointed out to Mullholland about a few of the young players from people on the first team and he just laughed it off.

One example was someone telling him about the attitude of a young player coming through and how he had to change if he was going to make it and Mullholland’s line was “if you change his attitude then you change the player” which was meaning he should be allowed to get away with it.

Since people like Gerrard and Kevin Thomson left the club, the edge has gone with our young players. Just have a look at the results.
I don't think this is spoken about enough. Whenever I see results from the younger teams they don't read well.

Imagine actually having opinions like this haha.

If you were to listen to the full interview you would actually hear Goldson say the same, the young guys should be doing everything they can to push the 1st team players out their spot, and also how he works hard to do what he can to make sure it doesn't happen to him.

But I guess it's easier to take the lazy route and just to join in the pile on.

It's not 1967 any more. We're doing well if we reach the QF. Talk about losers all you like, you're living in the past and refusing to accept reality.

Did you even listen to the thing, his ex teammate said even at 14 CG was a real leader!

Back