Talking Transitions - Connor Goldson

You are correct on this one.

Roger Hynd in Nuremburg in 1967 papped his ECWC runners up medal into the crowd.

Frankfurt fans were on here after Seville praising Rangers players for wearing their runners up ribbons/medals with pride.

Losers are always gonna be losers.

Until that mentality is phased out, and I mean bombed and strafed, nothing changes.
Some of the pish coming out of our fans man, honestly.

Scottish clubs have no right getting to European finals in the modern era. Goldson came from Shrewsbury Town and has had heart surgery ffs. He has every right to take huge pride in getting to that final - a medal, whichever type, is a memento from that.

'Oh, I'm such a winner, I threw my runners-up medal away' - if you have that attitude, I genuinely think you're a bit insecure - wanting to be seen as a winner rather than naturally being one.

I thought it was a great watch and he came across very well . He clearly loves Rangers. So many on this thread spouting nonsense and have not clearly watched/listened to it.

As someone else said , timing is everything. Would the pile on have been as bad if he had not been dropped at the weekend.

Came across as a hard working humble professional who loves being a Ranger.

I think there’s a performative aspect on social media. People try to be the angriest/staunchest/wildest and outdo each other. There was a post the other week that Jerome Bonnisel was a better right-back for Rangers than Tavernier despite him being a) a left-back and b) playing four games.

It’s a competition.

I think there’s a performative aspect on social media. People try to be the angriest/staunchest/wildest and outdo each other. There was a post the other week that Jerome Bonnisel was a better right-back for Rangers than Tavernier despite him being a) a left-back and b) playing four games.

It’s a competition.
Its a race to the bottom mate. Social media in general.

I bet almost every player who has won a Scottish League title would swap it to play in a European Final.

Your post reads exactly how I took it, that the team is full of players with a loser mentality, happy to accept second best, when that's not true, they make mistakes at the worst of times, but not one of them is settling for second.

I suspect he enjoys that medal more than any other because of the whole journey to that final which included some of the best and most memorable victories against some of the biggest and best clubs he's played against. I reckon it represents the journey to the final to him more than the defeat in the final itself.

It’s a competition.
CG's views on social media are interesting, ditch it and concentrate on your football.I think he got right.

Its a race to the bottom mate. Social media in general.

It’s not a good place for nuance and detail, definitely.

Something like this, people start from ‘I don’t like Goldson’ and work back. It’s not so much they are reflecting on the interview than taking things to further beliefs they already have.

It’s why most player interviews are really, really bland. Players try to avoid saying anything interesting.

Something like this, people start from ‘I don’t like Goldson’ and work back. It’s not so much they are reflecting on the interview than taking things to further beliefs they already have.

It’s why most player interviews are really, really bland. Players try to avoid saying anything interesting.

Goldson actually says lots of really really interesting things in that video. Very honest and refreshing interview IMO.

Talking about his weight, the amount of running he's doing now, playing every 3 days, the quality of player he's been up against, adapting to Scottish football, the change in the game from arriving to now.

Then there his general approach to life, his family, the operation, external factors impacting on him.

Do people talk about any of that? No, it's all just pish sensationalised bollocks taken totally out of context from the full conversation.

Tavernier is a case in point here.

Some fans don't particularly like the guy because he's been responsible for some defensive blunders, so they'll start making up other scenarios to justify their "he canny defend" argument.

They completely dismiss the fact that his positive contributions to the team completely dwarves any individual errors.

Reading through this thread and the rubbish spouted on X/Twitter it backs up another point that Goldson made about it being better staying well away from social media.

Absolutely no good can come from being on it, especially looking at responses from our own support trying to out-do each other to who can be the biggest idiot.

Tavernier is a case in point here.

Some fans don't particularly like the guy because he's been responsible for some defensive blunders, so they'll start making up other scenarios to justify their "he canny defend" argument.

They completely dismiss the fact that his positive contributions to the team completely dwarves any individual errors.

Most social media these days seem to be people making up scenarios in their own head then getting annoyed by it!

A really good watch. I have to say, for the life of me I can’t understand why people can take any negatives from that. Very honest, dedicated man and he has given everything he has to Rangers over the past 6 years.

I’m a big critic of his in the here and now. It’s not his fault Rangers haven’t moved on from Connor Goldson, it’s our fault that we stopped progressing at the same rate and we should have moved on from Connor around 3 seasons ago.

Thats not on him though. I may criticise his current form but I have never doubted his commitment to our team.

For those criticising his comments on young players and standards, the context is crystal clear, to try and pull a negative from that is just plain trouble making. I think it’s deplorable that our own fans would attack our own vice captain like that!

Also, the comments around the UEFA final, he clearly says he was gutted at the time and goes on to say he will look back on it as a major achievement when he’s older. It was a massive achievement FFS, again, there is nothing wrong with anything he said.

As I’ve said, I wanted the team to move on from the likes of Tav, Conner etc a couple of seasons ago, that’s the next level. He has played his part, no doubt, he’s a Ranger and he has been part of some extraordinary nights and played his part in the success.

I want him out of the team and I want better in there now, same for a few others but that’s not his fault. Football clubs are ruthless, if it didn’t suit the manager and the board, he would be binned in an instant.

I can still completely appreciate what he has achieved for my club and I wish him nothing but the very best. A very decent man and a great servant.

It’s not so much about context or interpretation here, rather the OP has deliberately altered the quote so he can put a negative slant on it, and become faux-enraged.

Did he not realize others would actually watch the interview and realise he’s lying?

I hope the OP is a Tim because a Rangers fan doing this to try organize a pile-on is tragic.

It’s a competition.
There absolutely is, it's entertainment nothing more.

We haven't got there yet but FollowFollow is increasingly becoming more and more akin to the likes of Twitter/X with respect to the efforts of some posters to outdo each other in terms of the opprobrium dished out to everything associated with the Club/players we all profess to love.

Its a hard slog coming on here and reading it all in the aftermath of a disappointing result. Criticism is fine, especially constructive criticism. What we see, though, seems to be entirely destructive, dismissive and, I have to say, demented.

It’s not so much about context or interpretation here, rather the OP has deliberately altered the quote so he can put a negative slant on it, and become faux-enraged.

Did he not realize others would actually watch the interview and realise he’s lying?

I hope the OP is a Tim because a Rangers fan doing this to try organize a pile-on is tragic.
Exactly, the OP wants to take a hard look at himself, criticise him for his performances by all means, but in this case, %^*& offf and leave our vice captain alone.

That's not what I'm saying, and I'm sure there are plenty who've played for the club who would love to add a European medal to their collection...

But I'd be willing to bet, that some of those who've won multiple league titles here would never swap a title for a runners up medal... European Elite competition, Petrofac cup, or anywhere in between
He’s got all three

Connor Goldson has been a great servant to Rangers. Whatever the future holds he can look at him self in the mirror and know he gave it his very best. He was a massive upgrade in terms of ability and character the moment he arrived. I'll remember him fondly.

I think the youth coaches should be installing the correct attitude in the youth team i would expect a pretty strict code of conduct at such a traditional club...Players should not speak about this in public domain.

None of us can say we really know him that well considering he’s been here 6 years. He keeps a low profile and just plays football. That’s probably gone against him with those that love to hammer players through social media.

I’m fine with that, much better than some of the complete chancers who crawl out the woodwork to make a few quid from us, saying the staunch things we love to hear and playing to the crowd without ever giving anything worthwhile on the park

Look at Negri as an example, decided to stop trying after half a season and now he’s cutting about Ibrox with the scarf on trying to drum up some cash.

When I watched the interview I knew there would be a bunch of Rangers Da's getting worked up about that comment.

Anyone getting annoyed about it has never played football or been a youngster in amongst senior players in a dressing room.
Correct.

One thing though, at 52, I’m a Rangers da, I think, so shut it you! :)) A rocket on social media is a rocket in real life no matter what the age.

Edit: Sorry DH88, I now know what a Rangers da is, peace bro :D

Last edited:

Couldnt agree more mate. And, the sad thing then is that people will then use their 'blandness' against them. You are absolutely spot on, its a case of 'I dont like player X so I am going to find reasons to justify that'.

Il be honest, its pathetic. What we have to realise is that players talk to other players. We are a huge club and a huge draw but if a player was swithering between us and another offer we could lose that player if they speak to someone in the game who says 'wouldnt bother mate, its not worth the hassle you would get'.

Thanks for sharing OP, really enjoyed that.

Well done Connor, came across as a really humble and hard working lad and best of luck to you.

I have long suspected that he didn't 'go' for the clearance in Seville becaue of what happened in Moscow vs Spartak.

He was scared of giving away the OG.

No one can deny (I'm sure some will) that he's been a wonderful servant to Rangers. Hope he can regain his form and see where it gets us come the end of next month.

all our players are put in a no win situation when it comes to media work in this day and age unfortunately, it'll upset some of our fans no matter what they say or do
see if I was a player, I'd be quite happy to accept a lesser wage long as I don't have to do any media work at all during my stay at the club

When I watched the interview I knew there would be a bunch of Rangers Da's getting worked up about that comment.

Anyone getting annoyed about it has never played football or been a youngster in amongst senior players in a dressing room.

Not getting worked up and I have been a young player in a senior dressing room and been sh*tting myself.

As long as young players show respect it’s no big deal but if he wants them to say good morning then the culture should be to do so.

Maybe not his and tavs job specifically but it’s a communication issue easily resolved.

It’s no big deal either way.

Very, very interesting interview and insight into the man rather than the player. Lives in fear of losing his place, dreads what will come when he hangs up his boots, worries about his financial future (with friends and family dependant upon him by the sounds of things), realises that at Rangers his personal performances come secondary to just winning and knows to stay away from the cesspit that is social media. Hints at suffering a bit from depression in the early days of Covid.

Interesting chat about how he had to gain about 5Kg when he first arrived in order to bulk up but has since lost it again as the demands on his body change. Highlights that he covered more ground in the recent Home game v Benfica than he ever has before because their 4 attacking players just dragged us all over the place. Adds some context to the Frankfurt goal and loved his night at Ibrox for the Leipzig game before it.

Well worth a listen, even if you just skip to circa 46 minutes which is where they start to discuss his move to Rangers.

Very, very interesting interview and insight into the man rather than the player. Lives in fear of losing his place, dreads what will come when he hangs up his boots, worries about his financial future (with friends and family dependant upon him by the sounds of things), realises that at Rangers his personal performances come secondary to just winning and knows to stay away from the cesspit that is social media. Hints at suffering a bit from depression in the early days of Covid.

Interesting chat about how he had to gain about 5Kg when he first arrived in order to bulk up but has since lost it again as the demands on his body change. Highlights that he covered more ground in the recent Home game v Benfica than he ever has before because their 4 attacking players just dragged us all over the place. Adds some context to the Frankfurt goal and loved his night at Ibrox for the Leipzig game before it.

Well worth a listen, even if you just skip to circa 46 minutes which is where they start to discuss his move to Rangers.

The weight bit was interesting. Said he had to put it on when he got here to deal with the physical aspect of strikers.

Has now had to lose it - assume as we want to squeeze the game to allow him to do the running, but what's now apparent is he is struggling with the physical strikers (and the pacey ones but that's a different discussion). So looks like his struggles recently may be more down to asks from the manager(s) in how the defence play.

Hard not to when it’s plastered all over social media, something he says footballers are obsessed by these days
It's not hard, you just need to be disciplined.

No one forces you or anyone else for that matter to listen, watch or read anything - you choose to do it.

Goldson actually says lots of really really interesting things in that video. Very honest and refreshing interview IMO.

Talking about his weight, the amount of running he's doing now, playing every 3 days, the quality of player he's been up against, adapting to Scottish football, the change in the game from arriving to now.

Then there his general approach to life, his family, the operation, external factors impacting on him.

Do people talk about any of that? No, it's all just pish sensationalised bollocks taken totally out of context from the full conversation.
I just watched it from the part he talks about rangers and he comes across really well.the bit about the young players which some seem to take exception to.he’s actually trying to help them off the park by giving them advice on the financial side of things.

God knows what he’s talking about regarding the Frankfurt goal in the final. Just went back and watched it and quite how he’s prepping for a cut back from their player in that position is baffling, as is his insistence that if he played the ball it’s an own goal.

Don’t really think anything else he said in the podcast is much of an issue tbh. His Europa League medal probably will be the most prestigious medal he achieves in his career - doesn’t mean it is his favourite.

Youth player comment is a non-issue for me too.

God knows what he’s talking about regarding the Frankfurt goal in the final. Just went back and watched it and quite how he’s prepping for a cut back from their player in that position is baffling, as is his insistence that if he played the ball it’s an own goal.

Don’t really think anything else he said in the podcast is much of an issue tbh. His Europa League medal probably will be the most prestigious medal he achieves in his career - doesn’t mean it is his favourite.

Youth player comment is a non-issue for me too.
He says they knew that Kostic 'liked to cut it back through people's legs'. I think he's saying that they expected him to drag the ball back (through Wright's legs?) before crossing it in rather than immediately playing the ball across the goal. Had Kostic done so the ball would have come in at an entirely different angle.

Only way I could make sense of what he says. Its at 1hr 07mins in the video.

Didn't read it all, but read snippets.
Who did he do this interview with, and the timing is to say the least, is interesting.

Dropped one game, and comes out almost pleading "please don't drop me"?
"I work harder than anyone else". (yaddah yaddah yaddah)
I have a very expensive lifestyle. Two kids. Both will be in private school soon.
And I own a portfolio of property.
My heart bleeds for you mate!
Just remember who paid for almost all of this.

Simples.
Get yourself back on form, and you might merit being back in the team.`
In my opinion, your form has been patchy, to poor for at least two seasons.

Did I just read you feel the old firm games are too much pressure?
Now you tell us!
Mind you. You did score two goals in of all matches, an old firm game back in Season #55?
But then again that was with an empty stadium.
MOTM I recall as well?

As for a new contract?
No.Thank you.
Should have left after #55, when your stock was at it's peak!
Like many, many others.
But then again that's not a practice we seem to do at this club.

Don't worry there's always Saudi Arabia.
Where I'm sure your ex manager is just waiting, to snap you up!

Who did he do this interview with, and the timing is to say the least, is interesting.

I have a very expensive lifestyle. Two kids. Both will be in private school soon.

Simples.

Now you tell us!
Mind you. You did score two goals in of all matches, an old firm game back in Season #55?
MOTM I recall as well?

As for a new contract?
No.Thank you.
Like many, many others.

Here’s an idea watch the interview then make your mind up instead of reading snippets.oddly enough the people who have actually watched the interview have a completely different perspective from it.instead of the knee jerk rage from people who have only read snippets and taken bits completely out of context just to have another hate fest towards one of our own players.

Simples.

Now you tell us!
MOTM I recall as well?

As for a new contract?
No.Thank you.
Like many, many others.

Do you actually think he just did this interview yesterday?

Or, do you think there might be a tiny possibility that he did that interview weeks ago and it’s only been put online this week and it’s maybe not a reason to have a moan at him?

At least you admit you’ve only read parts of it and you haven’t actually watched it before you’ve came to all those conclusions about him.

Simples.

Now you tell us!
MOTM I recall as well?

As for a new contract?
No.Thank you.
Like many, many others.

Quite the diatribe from someone who hasn’t even l watched the interview.

It was recorded before he was dropped, to answer your first point. Not long after the Benfica game I believe.

Simples.

Now you tell us!
MOTM I recall as well?

As for a new contract?
No.Thank you.
Like many, many others.

The podcast took place a month ago. Was released this week. Was most likely scheduled to be.

You've basically had an imaginary argument with Connor Goldson. Based on things he either didn't say, or you misunderstood entirely

You do realise how unhinged that is?

Simples.

Now you tell us!
MOTM I recall as well?

As for a new contract?
No.Thank you.
Like many, many others.

Yeah mate, he did the interview a wee while back. I didn’t bother reading your post beyond that, apologies if I’ve missed the context and the really important bits.

:D :D :D Despite the smiles, this place can be fuckin depressing at times.

See David Edgar’s theory on social media, it’s full of people having conversations In there heads between themselves and then posting as if it’s all real.

Latest posts

Back