Talking Transitions - Connor Goldson

Didn't read it all, but read snippets.
Who did he do this interview with, and the timing is to say the least, is interesting.

Dropped one game, and comes out almost pleading "please don't drop me"?
"I work harder than anyone else". (yaddah yaddah yaddah)
I have a very expensive lifestyle. Two kids. Both will be in private school soon.
And I own a portfolio of property.
My heart bleeds for you mate!
Just remember who paid for almost all of this.

Simples.
Get yourself back on form, and you might merit being back in the team.`
In my opinion, your form has been patchy, to poor for at least two seasons.

Did I just read you feel the old firm games are too much pressure?
Now you tell us!
Mind you. You did score two goals in of all matches, an old firm game back in Season #55?
But then again that was with an empty stadium.
MOTM I recall as well?

As for a new contract?
No.Thank you.
Should have left after #55, when your stock was at it's peak!
Like many, many others.
But then again that's not a practice we seem to do at this club.

Don't worry there's always Saudi Arabia.
Where I'm sure your ex manager is just waiting, to snap you up!
This is a totally normal, sane even, reaction to a man talking on a podcast.

Here’s an idea watch the interview then make your mind up instead of reading snippets.oddly enough the people who have actually watched the interview have a completely different perspective from it.instead of the knee jerk rage from people who have only read snippets and taken bits completely out of context just to have another hate fest towards one of our own players.
`Hate fest?
Your words not mine.

It's just an opinion after reading as much as I wanted to.
'taken bits out of context' and 'knee jerk reaction' again your opinion.
Anyway I have had my say.
His defenders will come on and defend him. As they always do.
You are quite entitled to do that.
Just as I am quite entitled to write what I did.
I will leave it, at that.

Yeah mate, he did the interview a wee while back. I didn’t bother reading your post beyond that, apologies if I’ve missed the context and the really important bits.

:D :D :D Despite the smiles, this place can be fuckin depressing at times.

See David Edgar’s theory on social media, it’s full of people having conversations In there heads between themselves and then posting as if it’s all real.
Just an opinion mate.
Just an opinion.
Nothing more.

I gave it a listen from the point where he starts talking about Gerrard coming to talk to him about joining Rangers. Really good interview and Goldson comes across as very genuine throughout and talks without any kind of filter. He seems like a sensitive guy who's hard on himself and spends a lot of time in his own head.

Some are going way over the top with their negativity and he doesn't say anything that warrants the reaction from some of the louder voices online. What I will say though, is that he does come across as a little jaded with the Rangers experience. It's totally fine to feel like playing in a Europa Final is the highest level you've reached so far, but it's not a good sign to hear a current player talking about 'looking back' on his time at Rangers and seeing that his top career achievement has already been and gone. Maybe he knows something we don't and he'll be leaving in the summer, but if not then I'd be worried about whether or not his head is in the right place for him to be giving 110% every game next season and beyond.

I have no ill will toward him and think he's been a great player for us overall, but we need players who are more ruthless than he came across in that interview. I'd be looking to move him on.

I think he comes across really well in this. Clearly a hard working family guy. He’s had to fight to get to where he is and he realises how lucky he is.

The comment about the silver medal from Europa is not controversial at all. My son competes at judo - he’s had many first places / golds when competing at local events but my favourite medal of his is his bronze at national. Why ? Because he was up against quality opposition, people who on paper should have beaten him, but against all the odds he got himself a medal. Connor is proud of what he and the team achieved and there’s no fault in that.

Many mega stars will see their whole careers pass without wining a European medal.

Re the youth - he’s right. In every walk of life now from trades to schools - kids and you g people are so entitled. The millenniums have lost all levels of respect. That which used to be instilled into every young British child. It should be a given that the younger players say hello and acknowledge the more senior members. Next they will be refusing to clean boots. Point being he wasn’t targeting them all - he was very complimentary of Ross McCausland but he will be one of very few who have the right attitude. Which is why so many of them fail.

Didn't read it all, but read snippets.
Who did he do this interview with, and the timing is to say the least, is interesting.

Dropped one game, and comes out almost pleading "please don't drop me"?
"I work harder than anyone else". (yaddah yaddah yaddah)
I have a very expensive lifestyle. Two kids. Both will be in private school soon.
And I own a portfolio of property.
My heart bleeds for you mate!
Just remember who paid for almost all of this.

Simples.
Get yourself back on form, and you might merit being back in the team.`
In my opinion, your form has been patchy, to poor for at least two seasons.

Did I just read you feel the old firm games are too much pressure?
Now you tell us!
Mind you. You did score two goals in of all matches, an old firm game back in Season #55?
But then again that was with an empty stadium.
MOTM I recall as well?

As for a new contract?
No.Thank you.
Should have left after #55, when your stock was at it's peak!
Like many, many others.
But then again that's not a practice we seem to do at this club.

Don't worry there's always Saudi Arabia.
Where I'm sure your ex manager is just waiting, to snap you up!
What a waste of time reading this was. Basically arguing with yourself

`Hate fest?
Your words not mine.

It's just an opinion after reading as much as I wanted to.
'taken bits out of context' and 'knee jerk reaction' again your opinion.
Anyway I have had my say.
His defenders will come on and defend him. As they always do.
You are quite entitled to do that.
Just as I am quite entitled to write what I did.
I will leave it, at that.
Sorry, but that is not his opinion. Its a fact. You have talen bits out of context. That is unarguably accurate.

Also, the ‘remember who paid for it’ dig is crass at best. Nobody forces us to pay, we do it as a privilege. And, its him out there putting his body on the line to make us memories that will last forever.

Just finished watching this and found found it insightful and interesting . Conor came across very well.

That said still think it's possibly time for a refresh in the summer but he has been a good servant for the past 6 years

Yeah but it's a stupid opinion.

It's like given your opinion on the full 90 minutes of a football game and all the nuances affecting it like the formations, the tactical approach and, the refereeing impact, after reading a 100 word summary written by Michael Stewart.
Again that's just your opinion.
Nothing more.
You don't like mine. No worries.
I don't agree with yours. But that's alright.
Lets agree to disagree?

Watched it from the point when he spoke about us and finding it hard to see what people are getting raging about to be honest. Guess that's what happens when people have turned they'll find anything to have a go at him.

Listen to it then we can agree to disagree if you still have the same opinion. Otherwise your "opinion" is invalid.
Ok. So I listened to the whole podcast, for what it's worth.

He comes across as a hard working family man, and in his words 'down to earth' guy.No question.
He definitely has been through some major hardships, and adversity in his life, and thankfully he has come through.That alone takes a lot of courage.
He has gone onto have a very successful career on the pitch and off, considering he started from humble beginnings, and has his priorities in place, and should be applauded for all this.
I have respect for him as a person. In fact I never disliked him as a person.I don't know him, or ever met him.It was never about that for me.Because I don't rate him as a footballer for our club, doesn't me I hold a personal grudge against him.That's not what this is about at all. At least not for me.
In hindsight, I may have been too harsh on him at the beginning, but I still don't think he merits another contract, and I wish him and his family all the success, & health, in the future.

If this still makes my opinion invalid, then so be it.

He comes across as a hard working family man, and in his words 'down to earth' guy.No question.
He definitely has been through some major hardships, and adversity in his life, and thankfully he has come through.That alone takes a lot of courage.
He has gone onto have a very successful career on the pitch and off, considering he started from humble beginnings, and has his priorities in place, and should be applauded for all this.
I have respect for him as a person. In fact I never disliked him as a person.I don't know him, or ever met him.It was never about that for me.Because I don't rate him as a footballer for our club, doesn't me I hold a personal grudge against him.That's not what this is about at all. At least not for me.
In hindsight, I may have been too harsh on him at the beginning, but I still don't think he merits another contract, and I wish him and his family all the success, & health, in the future.

Good post. I thought he came across really well and he's undoubtedly been a good servant to the club overall. I would agree its time to move on and freshen things up and he should always be welcome at Ibrox

Hard work reading thru this thread, but having been on the crest of replying to your earlier bs, I'm delighted that you retracted the personal criticism.

Goldson is almost always available, and always gives 100%. Sometimes that may not be good enough.
He's a good footballer, prone to a brain fart and switching off, but he's been a great servant, who loves the club. We've had much better CHs in winning teams, and much worse, but he can still improve.
I'll trust Phil if he wants to play him and extend his contract. I just hope that Rangers fans never turn on Connor, or Tav. They give us 100%.

Hard work reading thru this thread, but having been on the crest of replying to your earlier bs, I'm delighted that you retracted the personal criticism.

Goldson is almost always available, and always gives 100%. Sometimes that may not be good enough.
He's a good footballer, prone to a brain fart and switching off, but he's been a great servant, who loves the club. We've had much better CHs in winning teams, and much worse, but he can still improve.
I'll trust Phil if he wants to play him and extend his contract. I just hope that Rangers fans never turn on Connor, or Tav. They give us 100%.
It was never personal.

People think Goldson orchestrated putting a podcast interview out this week because was dropped for 1 game? :))
Yeah. I saw someone claim this on twitter and when it was pointed out to the boy the podcast was filmed a month ago, he said (paraphrasing) "so when he knew the fans were starting to call for him to be dropped. Thought so".

Braindead.

Yeah. I saw someone claim this on twitter and when it was pointed out to the boy the podcast was filmed a month ago, he said (paraphrasing) "so when he knew the fans were starting to call for him to be dropped. Thought so".

Braindead.
The amount of morons taking snippets out of it to suit there agenda and will turn round and say” i am not listening or watching the whole thing as I am not interested in listening to him” in the next breath is pathetic.well if you bothered to listen to it you will hear him say “benfica the other night” so no it wasn’t recorded after he was dropped.

The amount of morons taking snippets out of it to suit there agenda and will turn round and say” i am not listening or watching the whole thing as I am not interested in listening to him” in the next breath is pathetic.well if you bothered to listen to it you will hear him say “benfica the other night” so no it wasn’t recorded after he was dropped.
Yeah that is exactly it. They hate Goldson and want him gone and work backwards from there. It's sad.

Thats not what he actually said.

He said "that medal is probably the highest medal i will ever get, and its silver"

And what is your point? He thinks a losers medal is the highest medal he will ever get? A losers medal is higher than winning a league title?

That's your words. I've partially quoted and you think that's the right mentality of players to take us forward?

Get him and anyone else who thinks like him to f--k out of the club.

And what is your point? He thinks a losers medal is the highest medal he will ever get? A losers medal is higher than winning a league title?

That's your words. I've partially quoted and you think that's the right mentality of players to take us forward?

A European runners up medal is obviously more prestigious than winning the SPL, it is more of an achievement.

It's quite clear what he means. Have you listened to the interview?

He puts it into context by saying that he never thought when signing for us that he would play in a European final.

No, and I have no intention of doing so.

I was replying directly to a quote from a poster.

You tell me my reply to the quote I posted, have I got it wrong?

Not in my universe.
Yeah. He's talking about the level of football. The Europa League is a higher level than the SPFL. Nobody would argue otherwise.

Twitter is chock-a-block with performatively staunch bellends, who thrive on out of context information and use it to have a go at the players on a daily basis. It's like the match thread on here, but all day every day. Just shit take after shit take, coming thick and fast.

There's a lot of people who think Goldson's time at Rangers is done, and now a lot of people have picked up on that and ran with it.

I don't know whether he will or he won't be here next season. But, I don't understand why a section of our support seems to delight in the prospect of belittling and tearing down our players at every opportunity. It's a fucking long shot at present, but we could finish the season treble winners, and it would be in no part thanks to these utterly brain-dead shit heels, who do nothing but thrive on misery.
Totally agree we have elements within our support who want to belittle certain players at every opportunity for any little thing.
Whilst i believe that Goldsons not been great recently he doesn’t try and hide and puts himself into contention for selection.

Sorry, but that is not his opinion. Its a fact. You have talen bits out of context. That is unarguably accurate.

Also, the ‘remember who paid for it’ dig is crass at best. Nobody forces us to pay, we do it as a privilege. And, its him out there putting his body on the line to make us memories that will last forever.

Well, his body on the line hasn't gave us too many memorable memories, has it?

Is it really hard just to say ‘Haven’t watched it, I’d move him on in summer’? It’s not an outrageous position, it doesn’t need justifying with misquotes from an interview.
It’s why I have an ever growing list of people muted on Twitter.

Which is something I don’t like doing, and think is rather childish but just can’t continue seeing the same folk perma raging over the smallest thing or forcing themselves to be raging over nothing.

Really enjoyed the interview.
Interesting his and his sons' health.
He was afraid of putting the ball in the net for the Frankfurt goal, so now we know.
Quite articulate, Connor, I hope he rediscovers his form.

Hard to take that bit about the frankfurt equaliser (around 1:07) - he says he's avoided getting onto the cross coming in because "it would be an OG".

That's just not the mentality you want from your CB and he's had a few of them over the years.

Back