Tavernier needs moved on

Tav would struggle to be in the top 50 right backs in Britain, id genuinely like to know how highly some on here rate him? Like who signs him of Saudi rumours ain’t true?

With tavs stats scouts must have been alerted and watched him countless times over the years, why no concrete interest in him? There’s a reason and most ok here know it, some are blind

“The former Wigan player had looked timid in the tackle, lackadaisical at tracking back, and completely unsure of his positioning and general wherewithal in a defensive sense. It didn’t really matter of course, as his positives against far inferior opposition, who eventually gave up the ghost, more than outweighed the negatives.
So why bring this up? Because that match is essentially James Tavernier’s campaign in microcosm. Almost a full-season on, and the defender still seems unsure on how to actually go about the business of defending. At times, he almost acts like a half-back from a bygone-age, or occasionally even an inside-forward, which is all well and good but not if such shenanigans leaves his side exposed when the team is on a more level-playing field, as he has done at times during the Championship and cup campaigns.
That’s not to say Tavernier is poor, far from it. His name would feature prominently on any Championship player-of-the-year shortlist, but the niggling doubt is that he can’t be nearly as bold next season. Sure, a more defensive midfielder to shield him will help, as would a tweak to the system in general, but Tavernier ultimately has to recognise when he should rein in his attacking tendency. Like the world’s boldest pontoon player, Tavernier’s only instinct is to twist, but sticking is not only prudent, it’s necessary. Whether he can learn that remains to be seen.”

This article was written just over 8 years ago and it is still relevant today. Has he ever been able to learn to stick…….I don’t think so.

Yesterday was the first time where I'm genuinely concerned that he's finished. The hearts players were going past him for fun and he was contributing very little in forward areas. I'm skeptical about the Saudi links but we should be having the conversation this summer and finding a new club for him. He's been a fantastic signing who will have some highlight reel and be fondly remembered, but I think the time is right for him to go.

He's not going to get any better, only worse. You could argue that having to rely on your RB to win you games was never the wisest choice of a game plan. Yet that's where we are and that's what we've done for many seasons now.

he also started the season very poorly. he really looked unfit and slow the first few months of the season. one of his worst games was the Aberdeen, (last game of MB) dont remember any blatant mistakes. but that day at the game watching with my son i was really noticing how he was labouring.

Not a Tav hater by any matter of means but for his Rangers legacy, think it is time he moved on.
opefully he will score the winner next week..........

I think he'll stick around for his testimonial then he'll go
His stats are fantastic but when you break down the last 14 games starting with that motherwell loss;

Positive stats:
4 goals scored (3 pens) and 2 assists (1 being the 2 yard pass for cantwells fluke)

For a RWB 6 Goal involvements in 14 games is very good

Negative stats:
3 penalty misses
Culpable or at the very least suspect in at least 7 goals vs Celtic, HIbs, county, Kilmarnock, St mirren and Hearts

Add to the fact he's been roasted constantly down that left side and has not played well in this title run in and we've got s problem

Take him off Penalties and I think we've got more goals for and less against

Last edited:
If Clement has him in place next season - that being Tav playing right back for every minute of the season - then he’ll be lucky to make it past Halloween, and we’ll know he wasn’t that serious about the rebuild comments this week.

If Tavernier is still here for next season, i would like to think clement will have improved the right side of our midfield/attack so we are not depending on him creating chances and he is not left isolated.

I would also like to think Sterling will be starting a number of games at rb so the load is shared.

We need to sign a whole team. The trick is what areas we are signing first choice players and what areas we are signing backup(Scottish players).

Defended him for long enough but the amount of goals we concede either from him not stopping the cross or defending the back post is criminal.

He’s been a great servant to the club be he needs moved on if we’re serious about competing for the title next season.

“The former Wigan player had looked timid in the tackle, lackadaisical at tracking back, and completely unsure of his positioning and general wherewithal in a defensive sense. It didn’t really matter of course, as his positives against far inferior opposition, who eventually gave up the ghost, more than outweighed the negatives.
So why bring this up? Because that match is essentially James Tavernier’s campaign in microcosm. Almost a full-season on, and the defender still seems unsure on how to actually go about the business of defending. At times, he almost acts like a half-back from a bygone-age, or occasionally even an inside-forward, which is all well and good but not if such shenanigans leaves his side exposed when the team is on a more level-playing field, as he has done at times during the Championship and cup campaigns.
That’s not to say Tavernier is poor, far from it. His name would feature prominently on any Championship player-of-the-year shortlist, but the niggling doubt is that he can’t be nearly as bold next season. Sure, a more defensive midfielder to shield him will help, as would a tweak to the system in general, but Tavernier ultimately has to recognise when he should rein in his attacking tendency. Like the world’s boldest pontoon player, Tavernier’s only instinct is to twist, but sticking is not only prudent, it’s necessary. Whether he can learn that remains to be seen.”

This article was written just over 8 years ago and it is still relevant today. Has he ever been able to learn to stick…….I don’t think so.
Yet people will scream and shout that he's done based on the deficiencies that have always been there with him. So which is it? Has he always been 'done'? Does he lack the intelligence to adapt to a position a bit further up the field where he's not exposing himself to his defensive deficiencies?

Clement has Tav and Yilmaz as inverted fullbacks.

When our midfield continually give away cheap possession then these two are miles away from where they should be and leaves whoever is at CB hopelessly exposed.

Tavs loss of form, along with everyone else’s, stems from the tactics and the style of play being used by the manager.

Looks as if his legs have given up on him the last few months. He’s 32 now, and regardless of how well you look after yourself, time catches up with us all.

He can’t defend, to be fair he was never the best defender even in the Championship when he signed. He scored lots of free kicks, so it helped mask the defensive weaknesses of his game.

However, if he’s not contributing in the final third, he’s offering us nothing because he can’t do the actual job he’s on the park to do; defend.

Teams are targeting him now too, how many games in a row was it (4?) where we could have been 1-0 down in the first minute? And in one of the games we were, against them at Ibrox … and don’t give me the fluke goal argument. Aye Tav kicks it off Maeda and it flies into the net, but he stopped running, held his hands up as if to say, “It’s fine”, then got caught on his heels by Maeda causing the “fluke” goal to happen.

He’s also wore the expression of someone who looks very, very fed up. It’s time to move on for one final pay day.

I've never been a big fan, just on personal preference so I'll temper these comments before anyone dives in.

If your a fan or if not, there is no point slinging abuse on the player, or each other. This isn't a drop off on form, it's where he is at. We cannot linger on what he done before or past opinions. This is here it's now and it's the close future. He is 32,has lost pace and stamina and it is showing.

Thank you for the service but it's time to move on for everybodies sakes. We cannot spend another season like this

Yet people will scream and shout that he's done based on the deficiencies that have always been there with him. So which is it? Has he always been 'done'? Does he lack the intelligence to adapt to a position a bit further up the field where he's not exposing himself to his defensive deficiencies?
That was when we were in the championship, teams were taking advantage at that level. There’s a reason why the orchestrator of that era is no longer a manager and why the others who have tried to accommodate it has lost their jobs with us.

Woeful. Wish him no harm but needs to go now. Just had nothing about him personality wise whatsoever.
Type of player/personality I imagine you want to be Rangers captain is few and far between since the 00's, footballers are a different breed these days.

Type of player/personality I imagine you want to be Rangers captain is few and far between since the 00's, footballers are a different breed these days.
They are completely different, I agree

But he has nothing about him whatsoever mate. He's a pushover. I wouldn't want him on my side in the trenches.

hopefully stick around without to many appearances...maybe back up if we cant offload him

Why “hopefully stick around”? What would be the benefit in that?

We’ve been hamstrung in recent years due to hanging onto players on the back of misty eyed nostalgia and misplaced loyalty to players who are clearly passed their best and who performances, form and fitness are only heading in one direction.

Defence wise Tav now isn’t good enough at this level and that’s been shown on multiple occasions this season.

In an attacking sense his goals and assists number have been outstanding for years now. However those can and should be replaced by new signings and from other areas of the pitch.

We also need to reassess our idea of a “squad player”. It cannot be someone we’re hanging onto out of a sense of loyalty or who isn’t quite good enough for a starting place. It needs to be a player that can come in and we’re confident they can contribute, change a game, be a match winner etc.

Not a player who regularly isn’t good enough but you’ve got your fingers crossed this time they might deliver something.

Tav has been a fantastic servant however his time is up Rangers. If the management team can’t see that then we’ll be looking a season of costly mistakes in much the same way McGregor’s final season panned out.

It’s quite possible to both praise and recognise a players contributions to the club and also state they are no longer good enough and they should be offloaded. Something a significant proportion of our support seem to struggle with.

His stats are good and he's been good signing.

An absolutely atrocious captain however in all honesty. Has to be moved on along with Goldson and Barisic.

I've never been a big fan, just on personal preference so I'll temper these comments before anyone dives in.

If your a fan or if not, there is no point slinging abuse on the player, or each other. This isn't a drop off on form, it's where he is at. We cannot linger on what he done before or past opinions. This is here it's now and it's the close future. He is 32,has lost pace and stamina and it is showing.

Thank you for the service but it's time to move on for everybodies sakes. We cannot spend another season like this

Kyle Walker is 33 and still as fit as a butcher's dog

Im not excusing all their errors (there have obviously been far too many) but players like Tav and Yilmaz always play better defensively when they have a smart guy in midfield who covers them or doubles up when it’s one-on-one. Jack used to be really good at that. Lundstram wasn’t, and I don’t think Raskin is either. I think any team who plays with attacking full backs simply has to have that solidity and tactical nouse I midfield. We either have to change our tactics so that we aren’t so reliant on full backs getting forward or we need a new Ryan Jack.

He looks knackered. Isn’t a surprise given how he’s ageing and he’s played 261 games in the last 5 years.

24 goals, 12 assists and shortlisted for POTY. Hes worth keeping, but needs managed now.

He has scored 3 goals from open play in the league.

Off the top of my head I can think of double he has been culpable of from not being where he has meant to this season.

It was fine him getting up the park when he could get back, we attack get hit on the break he is one of the last back.

Been poor for a couple of months now (along with the rest of them).

Probably doesn't help that he's played more minutes than anyone else in the team (by a long way).

Funny that Tav & Goldson get the most hatred on here yet it's two players who have been available every week for about 99% of their Rangers careers. Good luck replacing that.

Can’t wait to see the back of him.

Relying on a RB for season after season has held us back for long enough.

It’s time for change

Doesn't that say more about the rest of the team than him?

I've been highly critical of Goldson as well this season but since his injury we are leaking goals at a ridiculous rate. Also forget that he never had a pre season.

Been poor for a couple of months now (along with the rest of them).

Probably doesn't help that he's played more minutes than anyone else in the team (by a long way).

Funny that Tav & Goldson get the most hatred on here yet it's two players who have been available every week for about 99% of their Rangers careers. Good luck replacing that.
Both Tavernier and Goldson threatened to not sign a new contract, they aren’t the loyal little soldiers you want to make out.

What does this even mean? They 'threatened'? Care to expand on that?
Goldson wanted down south and Tavernier refused a contract when we were heading back to the premier league. The only reason both are still here is that no other club would ever pay them now or in the past the amount our negligent board allowed them to be payed.

It has now left us with two ineffective players on massive salaries that need to be removed.

Don't be suprised if he announces he is leaving in the summer after Scottish Cup Final
Wouldn't surprise me either if he knew the contempt to which he seems to be held in by many now.
Probably for the best all round if he does move on.

Agree with the many shouts that he looks completely shot physically (although he's not alone in that in this squad at the moment). He always had his faults defensively but his general athleticism and drive would get him out of sticky situations before and that's just not happening anymore.

Whether that's a symptom of the miles on the clock he has at pushing-33 years old or it is salvageable going into next season with some actual proper fitness preparation I don't know.

Either way he can't continue on the current trajectory both for his and our sakes. If there is an offer on the table from Saudi or anywhere else and he is inclined to agree the club should take it and move on.

Clement has Tav and Yilmaz as inverted fullbacks.

When our midfield continually give away cheap possession then these two are miles away from where they should be and leaves whoever is at CB hopelessly exposed.

Tavs loss of form, along with everyone else’s, stems from the tactics and the style of play being used by the manager.
God help us.

Wouldn't surprise me either if he knew the contempt to which he seems to be held in by many now.
Probably for the best all round if he does move on.
Yes I noticed against hearts he was taking less corners ,free kicks ,throw ins, also up at the Dundee game one of our players was less than happy at Tav taking one of the free kicks,don't know if it's true but did he not just go up the tunnel at the end against Hearts,I don't think he is getting on with a lot of the other players

Both Tavernier and Goldson threatened to not sign a new contract, they aren’t the loyal little soldiers you want to make out.
I know this pish about their service to us, nobody wanted them on the wages we pay and they had a cushy number . Win 3 trophy's in almost a decade you'll be a legend and hall of famer and we'll give you a testimonial. My god away from us he is nothing.
I keep asking with no reply. Have Tav (or Goldson) had more from rangers than rangers have had from them?

Back