Tavernier needs moved on

We cannot go into next season with him as an ever-present yet again. It is beyond a joke this guy plays practically every minute for us season after season and is part of such disappointment.

Big changes are needed and Clement needs to gut this squad, starting with the supposed “leadership group” (Tavernier, Goldson, Lundstram).

When he leaves us the only clubs interested will be Saudi clubs (and his former manager) or teams bottom of the English championship.

That alone confirms his time is up and no longer good enough.

Same applies to Goldson as well.

Liability now defensive wise.

I know this pish about their service to us, nobody wanted them on the wages we pay and they had a cushy number . Win 3 trophy's in almost a decade you'll be a legend and hall of famer and we'll give you a testimonial. My god away from us he is nothing.
I keep asking with no reply. Have Tav (or Goldson) had more from rangers than rangers have had from them?
They've been given a decent platform at a big club in a shite league and they've given as much as their abilities have allowed them to in return. Pretty simple really. The hate towards them both is a bit weird though. You can acknowledge they have contributed well to the club and also accept they're probably either done or coming close to being done. The bitter tone towards them is a bit strange. They're just pros who have done as good a job as they're capable of.

They've been given a decent platform at a big club in a shite league and they've given as much as their abilities have allowed them to in return. Pretty simple really. The hate towards them both is a bit weird though. You can acknowledge they have contributed well to the club and also accept they're probably either done or coming close to being done. The bitter tone towards them is a bit strange. They're just pros who have done as good a job as they're capable of.
I think it's the way Tav is put forward as a legend by gers fans that grinds my gears mate. I don't have any hatred for them, but this season has pushed me over the edge, seeing those pretenders in the east being aided and abetted by Tav and goldson et al to help with their pay offs from court hearings, yes their capitulation has aided them and hurt us yet again, I'm fkn scunnered wi them mate. I want them to go away and I don't want to see them any more... is that fair? Not hatred just natural!

Goldson wanted down south and Tavernier refused a contract when we were heading back to the premier league. The only reason both are still here is that no other club would ever pay them now or in the past the amount our negligent board allowed them to be payed.

It has now left us with two ineffective players on massive salaries that need to be removed.

Are you really digging up things from what, 7 years ago? :D Fucking hell you're not well mate.

I think it's the way Tav is put forward as a legend by gers fans that grinds my gears mate. I don't have any hatred for them, but this season has pushed me over the edge, seeing those pretenders in the east being aided and abetted by Tav and goldson et al to help with their pay offs from court hearings, yes their capitulation has aided them and hurt us yet again, I'm fkn scunnered wi them mate. I want them to go away and I don't want to see them any more... is that fair? Not hatred just natural!

He was an Aaron Ramsey penalty kick away from becoming an immortal at the club.

Should he have won more in his time? Yes. Is it solely down to him that he never? Obviously not.

You asked whether he's had more from the club or vice versa. Bit of a daft question really. He's captained us to one of our most important titles ever and I believe he was player of the year that season as well? He's been player of the year several times. He's scored a winning goal in a cup final. He was top scorer in the Europa League, including some huge goals which lead us to the final.

Are you one of the fans who get raging because he drives a Lamborghini? :D

Should he have won more in his time? Yes. Is it solely down to him that he never? Obviously not.

You asked whether he's had more from the club or vice versa. Bit of a daft question really. He's captained us to one of our most important titles ever and I believe he was player of the year that season as well? He's been player of the year several times. He's scored a winning goal in a cup final. He was top scorer in the Europa League, including some huge goals which lead us to the final.

He's a loser and it doesn't matter what you say. You've basically highlighted that.
Are you one of those fans who put him before rangers. I'm sure you'll be ok whoever he moves to you can move to as well. Tav FC loyal. You are deluded mate with respect!

He's a loser and it doesn't matter what you say. You've basically highlighted that.
Are you one of those fans who put him before rangers. I'm sure you'll be ok whoever he moves to you can move to as well. Tav FC loyal. You are deluded mate with respect!

Literally no one does this. It's just a fall back some fans use when they lose an argument tbh.

If we were to go out and sign a new right back who could replace him this year then great, but given that we'll probably need about 15 new players, for any person with a functioning brain, it really isn't a priority position.

He is off form at the moment but that can be recovered.Imo he is still a big part of the team and will continue to be barring injury and his return to form.
He has been first name on the team sheet for every Manager since Warburton signed him.
No one is irrreplacable,but just getting rid of him for the sake of it and losing his goal threat is very shortsighted.

I think Tav still has a role to play if the manager wants him to but Goldson is done.

That being said, I think it's time for a clean slate and let the manager build what he wants that means Jack, Lundstrum, Barasic, Goldson and Tav should be moved on.

If Tav stays then we need a new skipper and one of Clements chosing.

Whether fans like him or not he has undoubtedly pulled us out of holes at times but surely there’s no debate now that he’s absolutely done

We need to be ruthless this summer, I’d start with him being moved on

We start next season with him then the message that’s being sent out just isn’t good, thank him for his service and say goodbye for everyone’s sakes
He has dug us into as many holes as he has dug us out of.

A poor defender, that better coaching could have improved.

When all said and done, I will remember TAV for the things we didn't win as much as anything. We left far too much on the table.

Couldn't tell you what he drives and I couldn't care less nor could I care how many penalties and freekicks, goals he has scored in games we have lost.

Yes, his goals have earned some results. But his errors have been costly too. Swings and roundabouts.

It's time we moved on. But we won't.

It's time we got another captain. But we won't.

It is beyond time we won another league. But we won't.

We have a squad of losers and a captain that, in any other team, ain't a captain.

He's a captain, the same way Sunak is PM and Humza was FM. No other candidate.

He's been a great servant to the club but I honestly think it's time for him to go,along with others, and let Clement get his own team together.

Fair comments mate lol seems plenty feel the same way at this point. I've only really made a case for Tav staying on based on the fact he is still productive from an attacking sense but him staying is dependent on his willingness and ability to take on a position further up the field where he can impact the game more without being the defensive mess he's increasingly becoming. Doesn't seem like many people think he has the intelligence to adapt his role so it may well be the time to go separate ways. Again, dependant on Phils ability to bring in better players in the summer.

You actually have to worry for people that still think having a Tavernier lead Rangers side is the way forward. And they wonder why people feel they’re more concerned with the players personal accolades than the club! Absolutely ridiculous.
You just back from smashing up the Trongate with the manky hoards?

You do realise that Clement being manager has the choice?
That's how it works, the manager has the choice, IF he decides to keep either, thats on him, no one else, that's how football works, managers live and die by their decisions.
If he keeps them he better be able to supplement them with good enough players to either complement what attributes those two do have left to offer, or at least have a strong enough squad to lessen the dependence on them starting every game.

But as you say, the boss will live and die by key decisions like the future of those two.

I think he'll stick around for his testimonial then he'll go
I’ve no issue with this as he would undoubtedly have a role to play but how will he take being benched and only playing a handful of the games next season?

If he is happy with his reduced part to play then it’s a good choice for backup.

I’ve no issue with this as he would undoubtedly have a role to play but how will he take being benched and only playing a handful of the games next season?

If he is happy with his reduced part to play then it’s a good choice for backup.
Earns too much to be a bit part player.

So a non starter the exact type of thing we need to avoid

Literally no one does this. It's just a fall back some fans use when they lose an argument tbh.

If we were to go out and sign a new right back who could replace him this year then great, but given that we'll probably need about 15 new players, for any person with a functioning brain, it really isn't a priority position.
Tav had done more for Rangers FC than any of us on here will ever do in a lifetime,is he beyond criticism of course not and his time is probably up.if our greatest ever ranger thinks what he has given to the club deserves to be recognised,I am sure that is more important to him than the views of the blowhards on here.

In an ideal scenario he wins us another cup, gets a multi million pound move to Saudi that sets himself up for life and leaves with our best wishes and thanks for 55, the run to Seville and for sticking through a really shit period with us.

He has faded and lost a yard, although may be able to squeeze one more season out of him providing the centre of defence and midfield is dramatically improved.

We get the best out of Tav when the defence is solid & balanced and midfielders can retain the ball. When that falls apart he gets badly exposed.

You do realise that Clement being manager has the choice?
That's how it works, the manager has the choice, IF he decides to keep either, thats on him, no one else, that's how football works, managers live and die by their decisions.
Absolutely, mate. That's what I mean. If Clement decides to persevere with Tav and Goldson for another season he won't make Xmas. It will 100% be fatal for him.

Picture this, if we lose at the weekend and we then start into a new season with Tav and Goldson then the support will have the knives sharpened waiting on the first point dropped. 100% certainty.

Tav is off form at the minute, probably due to being run into the ground.

Guy has been in the running for player of the year every single year he has been with us.

Has hardly missed a game in his time here.

Since he has been here, we have had people wanting him moved on because we haven't won consistently, ignoring the fact that it's because we are massively behind that lot financially.

He is genuinely one of our best servants ever, hamstrung by the fact he has played in one of our worst periods as a club.

Some people just need to assume that is his fault, and have a scapegoat.

If we get a big offer from Saudi or the likes, then we should probably accept it as it's the last chance we will have to cash in, but he will be missed.

People are creaming their knickers at the idea of Jefte coming in. An offensive, defensively suspect left back. We should probably make it known that this type of player is not welcome and instead get them to sign someone a bit more like Flanagan.

The constant ridicule of Tav is tiring, yes, in the past few weeks he has deserved criticism, but he has been pretty much blamed for any goal we concede for years, regardless of if he was at fault or not.

He has deserved allot more respect than he has got here. He is the definition of a whipping boy, and is blamed almost solely for the fact we have been second in the majority of his time with us, when it's actually due to a massive financial gulf caused by us still playing catch up due to being relegated to the bottom division and our rivals being handed countless millions to build a gap.

Does anyone know if Tav is carrying a knock at the minute? He seems to be off the pace of the game, dwells in possession and not as mobile as he has been previously.

Debating his legacy is of little importance. What he's done or could/should have done, whether it's his fault or he's been the victim - it's all meaningless now.

Looking forward, he's not the player he was. Defensively he's becoming a very expensive liability.

I personally think he should be remembered as a giant for us that was held back by a succession of absolute diddies in the boardroom, dugout and on the pitch.

But I also think Saturday has to be his last game for the club.

Last edited:
Since he has been here, we have had people wanting him moved on because we haven't won consistently, ignoring the fact that it's because we are massively behind that lot financially.
We spent more in wages on our squad this season than they did.

His brain-farts, in big domestic games, is nothing to do with money or finance.

He is off form at the moment but that can be recovered.Imo he is still a big part of the team and will continue to be barring injury and his return to form.
He has been first name on the team sheet for every Manager since Warburton signed him.
No one is irrreplacable,but just getting rid of him for the sake of it and losing his goal threat is very shortsighted.
I don't think its form. I just think that age has caught up with him. His athleticism by in large masked his deficiencies. With that now diminishing he looks very exposed in a key position.

We should be asking him to step aside and let Sterling settle into his position.

My fear is he and Goldson are the 'experience' that Clement wants for next season....maybe even Jack again for one more year also.

Does anyone know if Tav is carrying a knock at the minute? He seems to be off the pace of the game, dwells in possession and not as mobile as he has been previously.
He’s just getting older, he’s never been the quickest but he had a good engine. He’s always had our system set up to suit him so when things ain’t going right it shows him up as a limited player

We spent more in wages on our squad this season than they did.

His brain-farts, in big domestic games, is nothing to do with money or finance.

That's what happens when you pay over the top wages to bosman players because you are too skint to buy the players you actually want.

They have outspent us by about £60m in the last 5 years.

It has everything to do with money and finance.

I don't think its form. I just think that age has caught up with him. His athleticism by in large masked his deficiencies. With that now diminishing he looks very exposed in a key position.

We should be asking him to step aside and let Sterling settle into his position.

My fear is he and Goldson are the 'experience' that Clement wants for next season....maybe even Jack again for one more year also.
If we go with Tav, Jack and Goldson next year we'll get everything we deserve.

You'd be hoping Hearts don't invest their Europa League money well or there would be a battle on for 2nd.

He’s just getting older, he’s never been the quickest but he had a good engine. He’s always had our system set up to suit him so when things ain’t going right it shows him up as a limited player
I disagree mate - the first few years he was here he was able to get back from his forward runs most times but whether it's age or a more muscular build of late he doesn't seem as quick going forward or defending - hence the question about maybe carrying an injury.

You actually have to worry for people that still think having a Tavernier lead Rangers side is the way forward. And they wonder why people feel they’re more concerned with the players personal accolades than the club! Absolutely ridiculous.
Clueless losers mate.

Back