Tavernier testimonial

Overall Tav has been a fantastic signing

Yes he has made mistakes. All players do. Even worldclass players make mistakes

However his goals and assists cannot be overlooked or ignored

Yes we should have won more trophies with him as captain especially the 55 season but our team failed that’s season too

If Saudi transfer fee is substantial then the club have to consider it

No idea if Tav has any interest in Saudi or not and maybe this testimonial story is a way of him saying he wants to stay at the club

Maybe his family are not interested in Saudi and he still has 2 years left on his contract and wants to stay

The summer will be interesting

I imagine if every single one of John Greigs games were televised like all of Tavs 450+ games have been, with multiple replays of every single goal lost and misplaced pass, we would be able to pick out a litany of errors he made that "cost" us games and trophies.

The abuse Tav gets it's mind numbing.

He didn't have to put up with it though. He could have phucked off long before now and that imo is the measure of the man.
Not sure where you stand on this then based on your comments here...what you mean by measure of the man?

Has there ever been a player in our history who has been with us as long yet achieved so little?
Not a great comparison though mate considering for his his first 3 or 4 years, we were a bin fire and werent even realistically remotely close to challenging. None of which was his fault. A hybrid of Gough, Butcher and Greig playing couldnt have made rob kiernan a league winner.

He almost cost us a goal on Sunday in the opening seconds as well. Just like EVERY early kick off we have he likes his teammates to just ease themselves into the game.
Sick of it and scunnered that no one ever questions the manager or previous managers on the passive attitude we take going into the games.
Then assisted the winner and blocked a last second equaliser on the line.

That wasn’t the question.
You said this…
“His service of being through more manager's in his time then any other player in out history”
So your being a smart arse but my point stands

He scores. Pens mostly, James Taverneeeeer ain't bigger then rangers football club im sorry but sometimes you need to replace players to move forward

The way a few on here are acting as if we wouldn't score a penalty again and no one else can hit a free kick

As others have said start next year with tavs clique in the dressing room him trying to take most corners freekicks and all penaltys Clement will be going

I've got my thoughts on Tavernier as a leader, but that's an entirely different discussion.

If he's stayed for ten seasons then he absolutely deserves it. He's been a fantastic servant to Rangers in his time here, and I dread to think where we'd be without the likes of him and Butland this season.

Last edited:
Some of the insanity on this forum never ceases to amaze.

What happened to Rangers in 2012, 99% of clubs would never recover from much less get back to the top flight, win a league and get to a major European final and achieve post-Xmas European football year after year. This man has been a major part of all of that.

Tavernier is and has been an excellent player, with some flaws to his game - for me the positives always end up outweighing the negatives and it’s been a privilege and a pleasure to watch him play up here.

He scores. Pens mostly, James Taverneeeeer ain't bigger then rangers football club im sorry but sometimes you need to replace players to move forward

The way a few on here are acting as if we wouldn't score a penalty again and no one else can hit a free kick

As others have said start next year with tavs clique in the dressing room him trying to take most corners freekicks and all penaltys Clement will be going
Most of this reads like a post from kerrydale street tbh. Not sayng for a second you are a celtic fan obviously, just that we seem to be more disparaging of our players than even they manage.

If he does have one, I’d imagine it’ll be Leeds who we try to invite up as they’re the team he supported when young.

Achieved so little!!!.the highest goal scoring defender in our clubs history
and in british football.captained a Rangers team in an european final. only four men have captained Rangers in an european final and tav is one of them.on that run to
seville joint top scorer in the competition.captained a rangers team who won a title without losing a game.scored some of the best goals i have ever seen from a rangers player.
so your right he hasn't achieved much:rolleyes:
Aye but he had a stinker at Tynecastle 7 years ago ( as did the other 11)

What happened to Rangers in 2012, 99% of clubs would never recover from much less get back to the top flight, win a league and get to a major European final and achieve post-Xmas European football year after year. This man has been a major part of all of that.

Tavernier is and has been an excellent player, with some flaws to his game - for me the positives always end up outweighing the negatives and it’s been a privilege and a pleasure to watch him play up here.
100%. And, the stark reality is that if he didnt have flaws to his game while still producing the numbers he does, he would be in Madrid and not Govan.

He doesn’t just run over and get the ball to take it first that’s down to the managers and tactics worked on during the week.

Any thread about Tav these days becomes a farce because of posters like yourself. If you don’t think he is deserving of a Testimonial then just ignore the thread?

He joined us when we were in the Championship and playing in Petrofac cup finals. He has then played a part in an undefeated league title and led us to a Europa League final. He deserves far more respect than he gets from some of our support.

Have you any evidence of ‘Tavs clique’ or have you made it up in your head and passing it on as fact?

As for mainly penalties, it’s the Celtic fan argument. Rarely have we had a player who can hit a dead ball like James Tavernier can. Rarely has a player scored from penalties in such high pressure situations like James Tavernier has. He also scores and assists plenty from open play (19 non-penalty goal contributions this season so far).

This nonsense “ some fans prefer Tav to Rangers “

Naw I prefer Tav to the Arseholes in our support maybe that will clear it up for these negative Pricks that that spend all there time waiting on Tav making a mistake to say “ i told you so” on the internet who obviously in there life are absolute leader of men that live such perfect lives in peak condition.

You said he’s went through more managers than any player in our history, now you’re deflecting because you may have made a lady's front bottom of yourself yet again.B-D

Is this the comedy channel

People comparing John greig to tav

The greatest ever, its all if buts maybees

Gough greig are on level because the games weren't televised

He almost cost us a goal on Sunday in the opening seconds as well. Just like EVERY early kick off we have he likes his teammates to just ease themselves into the game.
Sick of it and scunnered that no one ever questions the manager or previous managers on the passive attitude we take going into the games.

Missed the first ten minutes and genuinely hadn't seen this until now. That's me on board with the rage :D

He remains our current best and most important player (perhaps challenged by Butland this season).

Ultimately, I think the club needs to freshen things up significantly, but given the reality of being able to carry out a proper root and branch turnover in the summer being very low, Tav is well down the priority list for moving on given his overall contribution to the club.

On this point, he can't really win. Says nothing and it's ongoing speculation and he's accused of not denying it. Denies it and gets called inappropriate because he should be focusing on the run-in. Says it's true and he'll be accused of upsetting the team in the run-in.

He also 100% merits a testimonial if he stays next season. Comfortably well earned.

If we somehow managed to win the treble he would be wise to leave on a high

Seems on here some genuinely love Tav more than they do rangers and have blinkers when it comes to certain stuff
I think most recognise his limitations and without those limitations he wouldn't have been with us for nearly 10 years. I think we can also recognise and respect the fact he joined us in the Championship, saw us promoted, has won all the domestic trophies (yes, could / should have been more) and his goals contributed massively in getting us to a European final. He's been infuriating at times and utterly sublime at others. In short, I think most people can see the big picture. Personally I'd be more than happy for him to have a testimonial year.

Guy gives his entire career to Rangers, becomes the highest scoring British defender of all time, and comes within a penalty kick of being our most successful captain ever.

Imagine your instinct is to moan. Some folk really must live with extreme daily misery, and should probably get some pro help.

Tav’s contributions to this club will only be appreciated in the history books. Fans who aren’t born yet will have him in their best ever Rangers teams. Of course he deserves a testimonial.

Guy gives his entire career to Rangers, becomes the highest scoring British defender of all time, and comes within a penalty kick of being our most successful captain ever.

Imagine your instinct is to moan. Some folk really must live with extreme daily misery, and should probably get some pro help.

Tav’s contributions to this club will only be appreciated in the history books. Fans who aren’t born yet will have him in their best ever Rangers teams. Of course he deserves a testimonial.
It’s batshit mental that it would even be a debate

You said he’s went through more managers than any player in our history, now you’re deflecting because you may have made a lady's front bottom of yourself yet again.B-D
He's went through more in any time in this current team

Are you daft or at the windup
I'm not banned

Can I asked a honest question if we lose the league and if he does it again next year and the year after

You gonna admit you were wrong

I think you would blame the manager,or the fans

My personal opinion is that testimonials at a certain level of football (which rangers are clearly at) should be a thing of the past with the exception of a career cut well short by injury.

Don’t have an issue with celebrating (not financially rewarding) a player with 10 years or more service but we could do this with an event like a dinner in his name either at EH or similar venue.

This applies to anyone, not just Tav.

My personal opinion is that testimonials at a certain level of football (which rangers are clearly at) should be a thing of the past with the exception of a career cut well short by injury.

Don’t have an issue with celebrating (not financially rewarding) a player with 10 years or more service but we could do this with an event like a dinner in his name either at EH or similar venue.

Why? What's the issue with a testinmonial? What about an opportunity for the fans to celebrate with him and show appreciation at an event? A dinner is hardly giving him that opportunity.

Getting angry about something that needs a lot of planning like a testimonial is daft.

Getting angry about a shit stirring article is even more daft.

The man is deserving of his testimonial if he remains with us. He'll have had other offers but chose to stay with us.

Should he have won more?

Absolutely. However one man does not make a team. For every mistake he's made, you can also point to every important goal he's scored, whether in the league, cups or in Europe. He's rarely injured and he's out there to be shot at. He's also played under some awful managers as well as a couple of decent ones.

I'll be happy to support his charity and attend his testimonial, when it comes along.

A testimonial game will mean more to the player and raise more money for charity.

A proper opportunity for real fans to show their appreciation.

Get to a European final ten years after being in division 2 is nothing short of remarkable.without tav we wouldn’t have got to that final.

The debate around Tav is beyond tedious.

Some people will point to his lack of trophies and defensive frailties, others will point out the modest fee we picked him up for and the huge return in goals and assists it’s resulted in.

Both are valid but it’s the extreme, raging, angry posts that add nothing. People quoting things like “only scores penalties”, “can’t play under pressure”, “never a captain”, “hides after a defeat”.

All I’ve read over the last few years is how Patterson, Devine and now Sterling should be playing ahead of him. Every one would have been be a downgrade and would’ve been slated on here by the same posters after a few games

See this pish tavs giving his full career and service to Rangers
You would think he was a war veteran injured in combat and we owe him

He's been payed very good for his time here

Sick of arguing about this to be honest enough stuff going on in my life, this is a football forum with opinions

The other thing to this is a lot of folk who get testimonials have served part of their ten years as squad players etc. Tavernier has likely been in the discussion for, or actually winning our player of the year and in the team of the year for the vast majority of those 10 years as well.

See when he's currently the top goalscorer in the team again then how do you replace those goals and assists that he contributes? There's a massive over reliance on Tav to step up and do it time and time again due to the lack of goals in the team like the team selection on Sunday showed. He's been crap for the last few weeks but he doesn't hide he keeps going and he does what he does by putting a cross straight onto Dessers head. He steps up in big moments to take penalties that is leadership. Does he need replaced moving forward? He will yes but with your other posts it seems you blame Tav for us not winning more and not the managers that have been in charge rather strange point of view to go with.

See when you say clique who is the clique? Clement has told us whose in the leadership group so am guessing you want Butland gone as well in the summer or is he safe?

He's gave us 10 years service over 100 goals over 100 assists in that period, 4th captain to lead us to a European final where he was top goalscorer stepping up in big moments. He deserves his testimonial if he stays on next season should he have won more? Absolutely but its 2 separate arguments.

"James Tavernier has revealed he’s opened talks with Rangers about a testimonial season despite Steven Gerrard’s plans to take him to Saudi Arabia this summer.

Record Sport revealed last week the former Ibrox boss has been given the green light by his bosses at Al-Ettifaq to launch a bid for the 32-year-old when the transfer window opens for business. And we told how Gerrard could make it a double raid on his old club as he considers making a similar move for Connor Goldson. But, while Tavernier concedes his future could be taken out of his own hands if a bumper offer comes in, he says he’s already planning for another two years in Glasgow.

The 32-year-old said: “Speculation is always around football and I know you’re speaking about the Saudi thing. That has been speculated about for the last year and a bit now, so it’s not new news. The new news is Connor’s name has been attached to it.

“I’ve got two seasons left on my contract at Rangers and we’re in talks obviously about a testimonial, so my contract is at Rangers and I am fully focused on the years ahead and I’m excited about the years ahead and what they can bring. My full focus is on Rangers.”

Tavernier and Goldson would stand to make life-changing amounts of money if Gerrard does come calling in the summer. And the man who was named yesterday on PFA Scotland’s four man Player of the Year shortlist admitted: “Well, football talks, and it can sometimes be out of your own control. But today, I’m a Rangers player, and my full focus is on Rangers.

“I’ve got two seasons left at Rangers and as I’ve said before, my family are really settled and we’re loving life. This is my ninth season, and I’ve always tried to better myself. A testimonial would mean a lot to me because it’s something you don’t really see in football these days. It’s a rarity that you get a testimonial for players, and it’s another landmark. Ten years at a club is a benchmark, and it’s something that I’d like to see.”

Am I the only one who thinks it a breathtaking lack of self awareness by Tavernier to bring up the subject of a testimonial for himself at a time when the full focus should be on trying to salvage a league - which (through his inability to maintain concentration in the OF for 22 seconds and then captaining the side to 1 point from 6 vs Ross County and Dundee) we look to have thrown away ?

Quite aside from the argument that a testimonial is wholly inappropriate in the modern age when footballers are already set up for life, I find it hugely depressing (but not surprising) that our captain is contemplating a testimonial right now after guiding us to years of second place in a two horse race.

Firstly, if he has been here long enough to merit a testimonial then he absolutely deserves one. Build in the fact that he has been a magnificent servant to our club and our captain then it is a no brainer.

To somehow try and have a go at him that he doesn’t deserve one or shouldn’t be thinking/talking about one is absolutely wild. I dread to think where’d we’d be without him tbh

On the testminonial itself, on this day and age Monday made from them doesn’t go to the player. It goes to charity of the players choosing/club charity. The testimonial committee also determines ticket prices so it’s effectively the club simply putting on the game. The planning and costs associated are determined by outside sources.

You are absolutely miles off it here

Back