Tavernier testimonial

See this pish tavs giving his full career and service to Rangers
You would think he was a war veteran injured in combat and we owe him

He's been payed very good for his time here

Sick of arguing about this to be honest enough stuff going on in my life, this is a football forum with opinions
The exact same as any other player who received testimonials, like Allan McGregor for instance.
Walter Smith was well paid for his job as Manager, did he not serve the club?
Jimmy Bell would have drawn a decent wage, did he not serve the club?

I can understand you're not a Tavernier fan, but this line of opinion/discussion/argument doesn't hold much water.

Guy gives his entire career to Rangers, becomes the highest scoring British defender of all time, and comes within a penalty kick of being our most successful captain ever.

Imagine your instinct is to moan. Some folk really must live with extreme daily misery, and should probably get some pro help.

Tav’s contributions to this club will only be appreciated in the history books. Fans who aren’t born yet will have him in their best ever Rangers teams. Of course he deserves a testimonial.

How would he be our most successful ever captain given Greig also captained a European trophy winning side?

The other thing to this is a lot of folk who get testimonials have served part of their ten years as squad players etc. Tavernier has likely been in the discussion for, or actually winning our player of the year and in the team of the year for the vast majority of those 10 years as well.
How many times has he dug us out of holes with a stunning free kick when the pressure to deliver is huge.

Why? What's the issue with a testinmonial? What about an opportunity for the fans to celebrate with him and show appreciation at an event? A dinner is hardly giving him that opportunity.
It’s not even an issue with a game as such, it’s more about saying thanks to a very wealthy individual by giving him more money. Now I know a lot of players now days give all or some of the proceeds to charity which is to be applauded and I could get on board with that, but not a golden hand shake for the modern footballer.

Why can’t we have testimonials with no money involved other than charity donations - free entry. The club could cover the cost of staging the event. Fans could make charitable donations on the day or something like that.

This way we get to say thanks and goodby and no obscene amounts of money passing hands. These events should be seen as much about the player in question saying thanks to the fans and not all the other way.

To be clear, I think this with any millionaire player who’s had a full career on crazy money.

Not for me, unless 99% goes to charity, millionaire footballers on a lavish lifestyle shouldn't have their pensions topped up by fans who already fork out fortunes.

It’s not even an issue with a game as such, it’s more about saying thanks to a very wealthy individual by giving him more money. Now I know a lot of players now days give all or some of the proceeds to charity which is to be applauded and I could get on board with that, but not a golden hand shake for the modern footballer.

Why can’t we have testimonials with no money involved other than charity donations - free entry. The club could cover the cost of staging the event. Fans could make charitable donations on the day or something like that.

This way we get to say thanks and goodby and no obscene amounts of money passing hands. These events should be seen as much about the player in question saying thanks to the fans and not all the other way.

To be clear, I think this with any millionaire player who’s had a full career on crazy money.
It'll probably be for Rangers charity foundation and other charities the club supports.
Surely that would be a good thing?

Even if he does leave at the end of the season, I'd still be happy to see him get his testimonial.

Our captain during the most turbulent times and most significant championship season in 55.

If he does leave, I'd imagine it would be for the financial benefit of the club as much as himself.

A timely and fitting exit for a fine Rangers man.

Pretty much

Isn't it 7 managers, I spfl league title a cup or 2
55 - one of our most important title wins
It's 2 cups, not one or 2
captained us to a European final
Every manager has picked him for a reason.
125 goals for Rangers
Once again, up for player of the year - voted by his fellow professionals

Came to us the season after we finished 3rd in the championship and has stayed .

The lack of respect shown to him on here by some is a disgrace.

If he stays at our club for 10 years, and the club agree that this service is due a testimonial, then I hope it is a success.
Fans have the simple option of supporting it or not attending. I wonder what opposition they would want.

That's pretty much exactly what happens in modern testimonials. The money goes to a charity of the player's choosing...

Come on. Greig captained us to two trebles and a European trophy.
I thought the poster you were quoting was referencing willing the EL would be the best achievement of a captain, not the overall contribution/trophy haul of the captain.

Again I am too young to know but I don't know if the CWC was as prestigious as the EL would be for us now.

Not for me, unless 99% goes to charity, millionaire footballers on a lavish lifestyle shouldn't have their pensions topped up by fans who already fork out fortunes.

I would imagine the vast majority would go to charity - and no one is forced to go to testimonial its a personal choice, for 10 years service he deserves it and for the pittance of £250k we paid for him he has been frankly a sensational servant to the club.

Is he the 2nd coming of Maldini defensively - no he is not, will we miss him when he goes, undoubtedly.

I think history will be kinder to Tav than we are just now. Not the type of Captain I’ve been used to like Butcher, Gough, Amoruso and Barry Ferguson but he’s never embarrassed the club and has acted like a true Rangers captain.

As frustrating as he can be is it his fault we have never had players contributing what he has, should never be relying on a fucking right back to dig you out a hole season after season.

We are a very hard bunch to please and I was one standing up giving him abuse after that opening in the game against the beasts. Same against St Mirren but sometimes I think we’ve been so over reliant on him it’s no wonder he has off days. As I touched on there should be people elsewhere contributing more.

If he didn’t have the armband would we be slightly easier on him?

I thought the poster you were quoting was referencing willing the EL would be the best achievement of a captain, not the overall contribution/trophy haul of the captain.

Again I am too young to know but I don't know if the CWC was as prestigious as the EL would be for us now.

Of course it was.

But someone pisted the other day they believed a European trilogy awaited us with us eventually winning the EL - imagine that happens. There's time for Tavernier yet!

I would imagine the vast majority would go to charity - and no one is forced to go to testimonial its a personal choice, for 10 years service he deserves it and for the pittance of £250k we paid for him he has been frankly a sensational servant to the club.

Is he the 2nd coming of Maldini defensively - no he is not, will we miss him when he goes, undoubtedly.
I agree, he's been a a tremendous servant to the club, that isn't in doubt.

Wonderful player for us and still vital.

It is a personal choice of course who attends, my point is it sticks in the craw for some to have seriously wealthy footballers, with an incredible lifestyle to have another huge cash injection from the fans.

If almost all the money goes to charity then it's a completely different story.

Some people decided Lee Hodson/ Jon Flanagan/ Matt Polster were better right backs than Tav long ago and will be proved right no matter what the facts say. His teammates and manager laud his influence. He is always available for 60 games a season and lives his life right.

Imagine actually arguing against one of your own players who spent 10 years with the club. We really do have some strange fans.

That he stayed for the fight. He stood up when others fled. Even our ex players in the media ran for cover.
Thanks for clearing that up, just wasn't sure which side of the fence you were on after your first comments.

If there is a testimonial for Tav and its possible for me to get to it, I'll 100% be there. No question.

Reactions: DJT
If he stays at our club for 10 years, and the club agree that this service is due a testimonial, then I hope it is a success.
Fans have the simple option of supporting it or not attending. I wonder what opposition they would want.

Edit turns out I’m talking pish, he’s a Leeds fan, or at least was. Wonder if they’d be considered

Thanks for clearing that up, just wasn't sure which side of the fence you were on after your first comments.

If there is a testimonial for Tav and its possible for me to get to it, I'll 100% be there. No question.

Me aswell. He's served our club with the dignity I'd expect from any Rangers captain despite the decade of abuse he's received.

Come on. Greig captained us to two trebles and a European trophy.

Aye, I don't think that argument stands up to much scrutiny, as much as I'm a huge fan of Tav. I think it would be fairer or more realistic, to say that us winning the EL would've been the biggest, or one if the biggest achievements in Scottish Football history, rather than him being our greatest ever captain.

When you consider the game then, compared to now and the relative resources of the Club's involved in the EL, we really should be nowhere near winning it.

Some of the criticism he receives from Rangers fans is justified but, a lot of it just parrots that of Celtic minded outlets imo. The playing down of his goal record because 'most of them are penalties' is particularly strange to me.

Either way the guy is a fantastic servant and I would absolutely go to his testimonial. I'd imagine he would donate a huge chunk of the proceeds to charity as players tend to do now but, tbh that wouldn't really be on my mind anyway. For anyone who was worried about that, just don't go, it really is that simple.

He's been an incredible player for us, unfortunately we have some amount of fannies in our support who know absolutely hee haw about football and can't see his contribution.

If we had more players like him during his spell, we would've had plenty more trophies.

Some 'fans' have him at the top of their list as needing replaced. Mentalists.

I agree, he's been a a tremendous servant to the club, that isn't in doubt.

Wonderful player for us and still vital.

It is a personal choice of course who attends, my point is it sticks in the craw for some to have seriously wealthy footballers, with an incredible lifestyle to have another huge cash injection from the fans.

If almost all the money goes to charity then it's a completely different story.
I Believe that is the norm these days where the vast majority will go to charity - as you said Tav will be a very wealthy man from playing football he will have had well over 6/7m in wages from us in his 10 years of service - so not like he needs the money, but it is more a tradition to allow fans to show there admiration / respect to the service offered.

If we somehow managed to win the treble he would be wise to leave on a high

Seems on here some genuinely love Tav more than they do rangers and have blinkers when it comes to certain stuff
If he somehow manages to win the treble he will be here another year.

Agreed it would be the best he could hope for to leave. Unless he got a double treble next year

Have you any evidence of ‘Tavs clique’ or have you made it up in your head and passing it on as fact?

As for mainly penalties, it’s the Celtic fan argument. Rarely have we had a player who can hit a dead ball like James Tavernier can. Rarely has a player scored from penalties in such high pressure situations like James Tavernier has. He also scores and assists plenty from open play (19 non-penalty goal contributions this season so far).

Tav is one of the best free kick takers in world football since the turn of the century. The stats speak for themselves.

There was a thread a while back where Cantwell had been playing golf with guys from Soccer AM and he said he'd love to hit a free kick...it turned into a few of the usual bams criticising Tav for not giving anyone else a shot.

I guarantee if you told the same numpties that we were due to sign a guy in the summer who was in the top 20-30 players of the 2000s in terms of scoring direct free kicks, they'd be all giddy about it. When it comes to Tav it's deeper than that though and some folk can't hide it.

Have you any evidence of ‘Tavs clique’ or have you made it up in your head and passing it on as fact?

As for mainly penalties, it’s the Celtic fan argument. Rarely have we had a player who can hit a dead ball like James Tavernier can. Rarely has a player scored from penalties in such high pressure situations like James Tavernier has. He also scores and assists plenty from open play (19 non-penalty goal contributions this season so far).

Literally everyone who has ever worked alongside James Tavernier speaks about how much of a positive influence he is including Sterling.

But people, who literally don't know, know better than the guys in the dressing room. Some even had Sterling's comments last week being about Tav even though Sterling loves Tav.

People just make stuff up to suit their agenda.

He's went through more in any time in this current team

Are you daft or at the windup
I'm not banned

Can I asked a honest question if we lose the league and if he does it again next year and the year after

You gonna admit you were wrong

I think you would blame the manager,or the fans
Well I think tha vast majority of the fans wouldn’t be blaming one of the only few players who have contributed this season if we were to lose the league. Then again, most fans don’t have an irrational dislike for the players who contribute. Each to their own I suppose

Tav is one of the best free kick takers in world football since the turn of the century. The stats speak for themselves.

There was a thread a while back where Cantwell had been playing golf with guys from Soccer AM and he said he'd love to hit a free kick...it turned into a few of the usual bams criticising Tav for not giving anyone else a shot.

I guarantee if you told the same numpties that we were due to sign a guy in the summer who was in the top 20-30 players of the 2000s in terms of scoring direct free kicks, they'd be all giddy about it. When it comes to Tav it's deeper than that though and some folk can't hide it.
Be the same numpties that were calling for Lee Hodgson to get a game.

Guy gives his entire career to Rangers, becomes the highest scoring British defender of all time, and comes within a penalty kick of being our most successful captain ever.

Imagine your instinct is to moan. Some folk really must live with extreme daily misery, and should probably get some pro help.

Tav’s contributions to this club will only be appreciated in the history books. Fans who aren’t born yet will have him in their best ever Rangers teams. Of course he deserves a testimonial.
You'll need to explain the "our most successful captain ever" bit.

No problem with Tav getting a testimonial should the money mainly go to charity , a testimonial fee to Tav and the club getting their costs covered would be the likely scenario I think.

He's been an incredible player for us, unfortunately we have some amount of fannies in our support who know absolutely hee haw about football and can't see his contribution.

If we had more players like him during his spell, we would've had plenty more trophies.

Some 'fans' have him at the top of their list as needing replaced. Mentalists.
Aye bit his trophy and medal collection says how poor a footballer he is apparently.

Another one of the piss poor criticisms of Tav.

Anyone who rolls out this pish should be put on ignore because they obviously don't have the brain cells required to have a proper conversation.

Has there ever been a player in our history who has been with us as long yet achieved so little?
He has reached the top six goalscoring defenders of all time scoring the majority of goals with us. Has captained the side to a European final, won a league title breaking defensive records and went undefeated in the league.

When you look at the Rangers side that he joined who had just failed to get out of the Championship and been absolutely pumped by Motherwell in the play offs to join us and do that is pretty remarkable imho.

Back