Tavernier testimonial

How many times has he dug us out of holes with a stunning free kick when the pressure to deliver is huge.
He definitely does deserve a Testimonial but fans are only looking at the past 5 games where he's been terrible and the league has slipped away.
This would be better announced a couple of weeks after the season has finished

The conversation around him is mind numbing, he's a right back, any goals and assists should be treated as a bonus not the difference between winning and losing.

He would get far less criticism if we were a serious club and he was surrounded by players better than him, the two seasons he played with okay defenders he had his best individual seasons.

His testimonial will be well deserved, played most of his time here with absolute diddies and losers who continually look to him to do their job.

Our sentimentality gets us exactly what we deserve
We will be back here again this time next with Tav and goldson in the team as the tims walk away with another league

Nice guys finish second.
The importance of goals from the wide areas in attack in the modern game is where we are sadly lacking. Get that right and carry on having the best defensive record in the division then we will start winning titles regularly.

Take Tavs goals and assists out of the team this season and we would be nowhere near competing for it this season. Scored the goal that has won us the league cup already this season too and it wouldn’t be a shock that if we win the Scottish it’s Tav that scores that goal too.

The criticism Tav gets is absolutely baffling

If he does something good it’s “My Captain” etc. the minute something goes wrong or he has a bad game etc it’s “never a Captain, needs moved on” etc etc

Absolute moonhowling shite. I’m convinced people dont actually know what they’re talking about and just like to moan for the sake of it.

Tav has been an incredible player for us and tbh a player we will probably never replace any time soon. As soon as he is gone people will wake up and see what we miss

The amount of times he’s shown up in big moments and dragged us out of a hole is outrageous. The good far outweighs the bad. There are also 11 men on the field, they all have lost us titles and cups etc, not just him.

The usual comments of aye but his goals are almost all penalties. So what, they still need scored. He’s also a RB, not a striker. Makes him even more impressive tbh. As someone pointed out in the thread. No one ever mentions Koeman’s numbers and penalties etc.

The hate Tav gets is absolutely pathetic. The reality is he is a once in a generation player for us and the likes we will almost certainly never see again in that position. He deserves far more respect than he is given

The importance of goals from the wide areas in attack in the modern game is where we are sadly lacking. Get that right and carry on having the best defensive record in the division then we will start winning titles regularly.

Take Tavs goals and assists out of the team this season and we would be nowhere near competing for it this season. Scored the goal that has won us the league cup already this season too and it wouldn’t be a shock that if we win the Scottish it’s Tav that scores that goal too.
Setting up so the team is dependent on the right back is the issue, his complete control over set pieces / dominance over the team and ‘leadership’ season after season when the league is on the line

(not least goals conceded in counter attack when he’s out of position

Been Good for his personal numbers but good for rangers overall?

I still will say any serious club , their striker is taking penalties / boosting their confidence and future transfer value

Tav ain’t getting any better as he gets older and slower , now would be the perfect time to part ways if he can get deal to Saudi or otherwise we are just going down the Allan McGregor deciding what he’s doing / staying on longer than should , rather than rangers telling him / moving the team on.

There is a lot to like and respect about Tavernier and of course it sounds like a bitter spoilt child moaning about him when he’s got such high numbers, but ultimately I care about titles and trophies and under his watch we just haven’t got it done , we should’ve addressed it earlier / made the decision with captaincy , the cosy leadership group have seen over manager after manager

We will be back here again this time next with Tav and goldson in the team as the tims walk away with another league

Nice guys finish second.
Tav and Goldson. Tav and Goldson. Tav and Goldson.

Why the %^*& is it always Tav and Goldson? The two have been a level above most of our other players for their time here. Goldson has dropped off massively imo but Tav is still one of our best and most consistent players.

The two don’t have to go together.

Nice guys finish second.
If we had 11 Tavs in the side every week, we wouldn’t be second. Thats the point.

People go on about him not winning trophies, whilst totally neglecting the fact he’s the best of the bunch year after year. It’s toddler logic.

Setting up so the team is dependent on the right back is the issue, his complete control over set pieces / dominance over the team and ‘leadership’ season after season when the league is on the line
Anyone who’s played football at any level knows that penalty takers and all set piece takers are decided by a coach/manager. He doesn’t pick himself to take them ffs.

Any serious football team would put the best taker on them. Hence why Tav takes free kicks and penalties.

We rely on our right back to produce goals because we’ve failed to address the lack of goals around the team yet again. There’s nothing tactical of just pass the ball to Tav and try and get him to score.

I still will say any serious club , their striker is taking penalties / boosting their confidence and future transfer value

Tav ain’t getting any better as he gets older and slower , now would be the perfect time to part ways if he can get deal to Saudi or otherwise we are just going down the Allan McGregor deciding what he’s doing / staying on longer than should , rather than rangers telling him / moving the team on.

There is a lot to like and respect about Tavernier and of course it sounds like a bitter spoilt child moaning about him when he’s got such high numbers, but ultimately I care about titles and trophies and under his watch we just haven’t got it done , we should’ve addressed it earlier / made the decision with captaincy , the cosy leadership group have seen over manager after manager

Do the strikers penalties count double or something?

They would still only be one goal.

Our problem over the years has been others not contributing anywhere near enough, not James Tavernier who steps up and pulls us out of trouble again, and again, and again.

St Mirren, Celtic Hibs... there's 3 of the last 6 league games where we have been at a critical point in the game and he's stepped up under pressure and done something to pull us out a hole.

On the list of reasons for lack of trophies, James Tavernier is firmly at the bottom.

Some folk have like a sort of Stockholm syndrome thing with Tav.

The man's absolutely brilliant at stepping up and putting a penalty away when the pressure's on, can take a great free kick, he's a pretty average defender though and doesn't seem to motivate his team as captain, hasn't won much in a lengthy time being here but to some he's been incredible and a total legend.

Not for me, I remember better defenders and better captains.

Nothing against him getting a testimonial and wish him well wherever he goes but I'll be glad to see the back of him.

Reactions: WLF
Some folk have like a sort of Stockholm syndrome thing with Tav.

The man's absolutely brilliant at stepping up and putting a penalty away when the pressure's on, can take a great free kick, he's a pretty average defender though and doesn't seem to motivate his team as captain, hasn't won much in a lengthy time being here but to some he's been incredible and a total legend.

Not for me, I remember better defenders and better captains.

Nothing against him getting a testimonial and wish him well wherever he goes but I'll be glad to see the back of him.

And some just want to complete ignore the circumstances he has played in.

Put Richard Gough in this team over the last 9 years and he wouldn't have any more medals than Tav does.

Amazing folk think it's the captain that made all the difference to winning or losing all those trophies and not the difference in quality attackers like Laudrup, McCoist, Hateley, Gascoigne, Durie, Johnston etc compared to Wright, Matondo, Ojo, Grezda, Stewart and the other assorted pish attackers Tav has played with regularly over the years.

One season in Tavs time have we had regular attacking contributions from a large amount of players, and we won the league.

Amazing folk think it's the captain that made all the difference to winning or losing all those trophies and not the difference in quality attackers like Laudrup, McCoist, Hateley, Gascoigne, Durie, Johnston etc compared to Wright, Matondo, Ojo, Grezda, Stewart and the other assorted pish attackers Tav has played with regularly over the years.

One season in Tavs time have we had regular attacking contributions from a large amount of players, and we won the league.
I think it’s possibly some kind of coping mechanism.

We’re not completely shite we just miss a leader! Aye right.

Put Richard Gough in this team over the last 9 years and he wouldn't have any more medals than Tav does.

Obviously when he came here he was playing with nothing but utter dross round about him, so aye the first few years he was here it's a bit unfair to be too critical.

But as I said I think he's a pretty average defender. Has some good games then in my opinion a few too many where he has some absolute howlers where he's at fault for goals.

As for the age old FF debate of is he captain material, again just my opinion, but no he isn't. Too many big games where it's really mattered the team have came out and been slow and turgid and not risen to the occasion. Is that all 100% down to Tav, of course not, but then I think maybe a Gough or Barry Ferguson would have got the players a bit more fired up.

I think it’s possibly some kind of coping mechanism.

We’re not completely shite we just miss a leader! Aye right.

I think it's a team of underachievers. The same could be said that the Tav fanatics like to cope with his failures by saying it's not his fault, it's everyone around him that's shite.

I'd say a bit a both. Anyway, if he gets a testimonial I hope he gets a good turnout.

Expecting Tav to do even more (whether defensively or as a leader) whilst totally failing to acknowledge that if other players did more we wouldn’t be where we are, is beyond insane.

Then there’s the other argument of us being too reliant on Tav and that in order for others to contribute, he needs removed. Yes, take away the man who contributes the most and suddenly those who don’t contribute will step up (even though they’ve consistently failed to step up previously). More bonkers. Genuinely, in what sort of batshit universe do you voluntarily want to get rid of your best outfield player and one who contributes the most season after season? It’s so thick.

John Greig had won 1 league in 12 years, prior to his testimonial season and was consistently 2nd best to celtic, for the majority of that period.
Are you saying that our Greatest Ever Ranger didn't deserve his testimonial?

James Tavernier has led our side to a European final in a period when achieving European success has never been more weighted against Scottish sides.
He also became the first ever full back to finish top scorer in a European tournament and the first ever Ramgers player to be voted "Player of the Tournament" in a European tournament.

We're in the final of the Scottish Cup, still in with a good chance of winning the league and he also scored our winning goal in this year's League Cup Final.

Only a clueless Rangers supporters or a closet celtic supporter would be against Tavernier being granted a testimonial.
Ten years service at one football club is almost unheard of these days.
J

Obviously when he came here he was playing with nothing but utter dross round about him, so aye the first few years he was here it's a bit unfair to be too critical.

But as I said I think he's a pretty average defender. Has some good games then in my opinion a few too many where he has some absolute howlers where he's at fault for goals.

As for the age old FF debate of is he captain material, again just my opinion, but no he isn't. Too many big games where it's really mattered the team have came out and been slow and turgid and not risen to the occasion. Is that all 100% down to Tav, of course not, but then I think maybe a Gough or Barry Ferguson would have got the players a bit more fired up.

Gough captained us as we bottled 10 in a row.

Ferguson captained us to third one year.

I adore them both. It's not as black and white as their days as leaders being filled with rousing displays where we fought valiantly due to the captain. We just had better players.

"James Tavernier has revealed he’s opened talks with Rangers about a testimonial season despite Steven Gerrard’s plans to take him to Saudi Arabia this summer.

Record Sport revealed last week the former Ibrox boss has been given the green light by his bosses at Al-Ettifaq to launch a bid for the 32-year-old when the transfer window opens for business. And we told how Gerrard could make it a double raid on his old club as he considers making a similar move for Connor Goldson. But, while Tavernier concedes his future could be taken out of his own hands if a bumper offer comes in, he says he’s already planning for another two years in Glasgow.

The 32-year-old said: “Speculation is always around football and I know you’re speaking about the Saudi thing. That has been speculated about for the last year and a bit now, so it’s not new news. The new news is Connor’s name has been attached to it.

“I’ve got two seasons left on my contract at Rangers and we’re in talks obviously about a testimonial, so my contract is at Rangers and I am fully focused on the years ahead and I’m excited about the years ahead and what they can bring. My full focus is on Rangers.”

Tavernier and Goldson would stand to make life-changing amounts of money if Gerrard does come calling in the summer. And the man who was named yesterday on PFA Scotland’s four man Player of the Year shortlist admitted: “Well, football talks, and it can sometimes be out of your own control. But today, I’m a Rangers player, and my full focus is on Rangers.

“I’ve got two seasons left at Rangers and as I’ve said before, my family are really settled and we’re loving life. This is my ninth season, and I’ve always tried to better myself. A testimonial would mean a lot to me because it’s something you don’t really see in football these days. It’s a rarity that you get a testimonial for players, and it’s another landmark. Ten years at a club is a benchmark, and it’s something that I’d like to see.”

Am I the only one who thinks it a breathtaking lack of self awareness by Tavernier to bring up the subject of a testimonial for himself at a time when the full focus should be on trying to salvage a league - which (through his inability to maintain concentration in the OF for 22 seconds and then captaining the side to 1 point from 6 vs Ross County and Dundee) we look to have thrown away ?

Quite aside from the argument that a testimonial is wholly inappropriate in the modern age when footballers are already set up for life, I find it hugely depressing (but not surprising) that our captain is contemplating a testimonial right now after guiding us to years of second place in a two horse race.

Not the only one, but amongst a strange group of guys that hate a guy who has been excellent for us over an (almost) 10 year spell.

It’s bizarre.

Expecting Tav to do even more (whether defensively or as a leader) whilst totally failing to acknowledge that if other players did more we wouldn’t be where we are, is beyond insane.

Then there’s the other argument of us being too reliant on Tav and that in order for others to contribute, he needs removed. Yes, take away the man who contributes the most and suddenly those who don’t contribute will step up (even though they’ve consistently failed to step up previously). More bonkers. Genuinely, in what sort of batshit universe do you voluntarily want to get rid of your best outfield player and one who contributes the most season after season? It’s so thick.

People also completely fail to acknowledge the club has had, like maybe, three years of proper stability during Tav's time at the club. The rest has been a clown car, shit-show at times. People honestly expect and believe it to be as simple as us buying players in the summer and winning the league the following spring.

All whilst complaining we don't have the money that they have, or that there's no leadership at the boardroom level, or that they're not convinced by the manager or sporting director/director of football, or the bloody Chairman. All of those factors have impacted the success of the club, far more than any single player has. We've not set ourselves up for success, not really. Be that buying better players or at times hiring the right people to oversee the running of the club on and off the pitch. That's impacted us far more than, any misplaced pass, or failure to mark at the back post or missed chance.

All he had to do was streer the Team to wins over Motherwell and Ross County. He faffed about on a ball in the first 20 secs versus Them and gone from a hero to zero with little credibility due to his lack of skills in performing his role in the team as a defender.
He didn’t faff about on the ball. He took his eyes off it as it came towards him. The split second lack in concentration meant the difference between his ‘clearance’ going for a throw in and hitting the Japanese’s shin.

This pish again.

Do you think every manager comes in and thinks, %^*& doing what's best for the club, let's set up to get Tavernier some numbers?

The reason he hits most free kicks is because he's infinitely better than anyone else we have at them.

"any serious club" - I take Real Madrid weren't that serious when Sergio Ramos would hit their penalties?

The criticism Tav gets is absolutely baffling

If he does something good it’s “My Captain” etc. the minute something goes wrong or he has a bad game etc it’s “never a Captain, needs moved on” etc etc

Absolute moonhowling shite. I’m convinced people dont actually know what they’re talking about and just like to moan for the sake of it.

Tav has been an incredible player for us and tbh a player we will probably never replace any time soon. As soon as he is gone people will wake up and see what we miss

The amount of times he’s shown up in big moments and dragged us out of a hole is outrageous. The good far outweighs the bad. There are also 11 men on the field, they all have lost us titles and cups etc, not just him.

The usual comments of aye but his goals are almost all penalties. So what, they still need scored. He’s also a RB, not a striker. Makes him even more impressive tbh. As someone pointed out in the thread. No one ever mentions Koeman’s numbers and penalties etc.

The hate Tav gets is absolutely pathetic. The reality is he is a once in a generation player for us and the likes we will almost certainly never see again in that position. He deserves far more respect than he is given
Wait a fcking minute... are you telling me... football fans are... fickle?

I just wish Tav would %^*& off and leave so we can get on with moaning about not having him and arguing about who should take the penalties.

Some of us clearly take longer to get over one player’s mistake that happened weeks ago.

I don’t remember Gerrard being vilified for very long after his slip against Chelsea.

Guy gives his entire career to Rangers, becomes the highest scoring British defender of all time, and comes within a penalty kick of being our most successful captain ever.

Imagine your instinct is to moan. Some folk really must live with extreme daily misery, and should probably get some pro help.

Tav’s contributions to this club will only be appreciated in the history books. Fans who aren’t born yet will have him in their best ever Rangers teams. Of course he deserves a testimonial.
First of all, he deserves a testimonial. Anyone saying otherwise is being a bit OTT and like you said, pretty miserable given it's just likely charity.

As for being in our Best XI... really? I get that you're talking about future fans looking back at stats, but if they're taking it seriously, they'll be looking at our most successful RBs in terms of trophies won and most likely before we were forced into the lower divisions. They'd consider international caps possibly too.

Fact is, the last decade's old firm aren't close to being as competitive either. This year especially proves that. You need to consider how strong both teams were before we went down (albeit different eras). Fact is, competition was better as the level of player we both had was higher in general.

You would give Tav due credit for Europe, but again, past RBs have performed better in the Champions League against strong opposition. F U Marseille.

Future fans might pick Kris Boyd if they just looked at stats (they wouldn't, but you get my point lol).

In reality, for those old enough to compare, Tav is not close to being on the skill level of some past RBs. That needs to be considered in a Best XI imo.

give him his testimoial, he deserves it, if an offer for millions comes in then take it, dont want to see him go but it would be good business sense

All he had to do was streer the Team to wins over Motherwell and Ross County. He faffed about on a ball in the first 20 secs versus Them and gone from a hero to zero with little credibility due to his lack of skills in performing his role in the team as a defender.
Just forget about his goals and assists eh? It’s all Tav’s fault, rid neck of a comment.

Nice guys finish second.
Teams with similar wage bills finish a few points apart.

This is probably the first year we're at that point, and it's with some terrible recruitment thrown in.

I love this place sometimes. Guy answers questions about his future by saying he and his family love it where he is and he wants to make it to 10 years at the club...yet people here still want to batter him and pick out all the negatives from what he said.

I'd love someone to ask Tav how he reflects on his own relationship with the fanbase over his time here. I know he's loved by many and rightly so but equally the stick he's had to put up with at times has been beyond ludicrous.
the only folk in Scotland that don't rate Tav as consistently one of the best 3-5 players I the spell is a certain section of our support.

If he was any better than he is he'd of been out the door long ago.

Apart from actually winning a shed load of games for he also owns half of the best 20 goals scored in the last 10 years

some truly disgraceful posts on here from posters who should be ashamed to call them selves supporters. Tav’s record is incredible truly incredible . If we remember the games he’s been a major part of victories versus games where he’s made an expensive mistake then it’d be at least 10 to 1.
As for the Testimonial if you don’t agree with it then don’t Effin go and leave us all in peace.

Id give him special dispensation to have it this summer if we get a tasty offer form Saudi.

He's been a great servant but his time is about up and it's time to freshen the pack.

I think the concept of testimonials is long outdated and that is regardless of time served or achievements during that.

That’s not to say it could be rebranded and something done along similar lines but it does need updating, especially the name itself.

Money raised should be for the Club, probably the Rangers charity, since ultimately it plucked Tav from obscurity and gave him the platform and opportunity to become an elite Footballer and record breaker.

Without Rangers, Tav would likely be playing in League One and causing mild curiosities.

Who deserves the ‘testimonial’ really?

Last edited:
Back