Team for Villarreal

Mainly because we cannot afford to lose the midfield battle, ejaria is pretty on the eye, but in reality often does very little with the ball.
That’s my reason anyway
Jack offers protection
Coulibaly legs and protection
Arfield goals
Rubbish, ejaria nicks balls in situation s he has no right to get the ball....without giving a foul away!
I think ejaria starts with Coulibaly on later once we have a lead to protect

Was just about to post similar.

Goldson and MaAuley in the heart of defence
I agree they look our best pairing but we also play Hearts on Sunday and Aberdeen the following midweek which makes me think McAuley will be rested on Thursday

I’d keep Middleton for the bench here. He’s the only ‘impact’ sub we have capable of changing up the game imo. If Barasic is fit he plays.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson mcauley Barasic
Coulibaly jack arfield
Candeias Morelos Grezda

Think it picks itself apart from the Coulibaly/Ejaria selection. One is a battler the other a possession player. Arfield is the goal threat player. Lassana for me.

3v0 Rangers. Let’s go.

I agree they look our best pairing but we also play Hearts on Sunday and Aberdeen the following midweek which makes me think McAuley will be rested on Thursday
Disagree,it’s fantastic opportunity to get to next round so I’d play our best 11

Rubbish, ejaria nicks balls in situation s he has no right to get the ball....without giving a foul away!
I think ejaria starts with Coulibaly on later once we have a lead to protect

It’s rubbish that ejaria does very little with the ball?
How many goals and assists does he have this season?

Again I will state

Ejaria is a good player, I just would rather more physicality in the middle and then let the front 3 express themselves with more freedom

Ejaria one of the first names on the team sheet, we really need his ball retention ability in midfield.

Jack Coulibaly and ejaria in midfield.

McGregor

Tavernier Goldson Worrall Halliday

Jack
Candeias Ejaria Arfield Middleton

Morelos
I get what people are saying about using the squad, but this is too big an opportunity to make wholesale changes. McCrorie (for example) hasn’t been making the squad recently, there’s nothing to suggest he should be involved from the start. We’ve got the whole of December to tweak the team here and there, starting with the Dundee and Hamilton games.

I suspect the team will be the same as yesterday apart from Alfie and Grezda starting instead of Lafferty and Middleton.

However what I would like to see is:

.............................McGregor..............................
Tavernier.....McAuley.....Goldson........Halliday*
.....................Coulibaly.....Jack..........................
Candeias................Grezda...............Middleton
..............................Morelos................................

*assuming Barasic is still injured.

I think we need two DMs in for this game. McCrorie has had no gametime. Arfield struggles playing deeper. Ejaria gets caught in possession too much playing deeper. So, despite his form being a bit off, Coulibaly is who we're left with.

Grezda has been flying. I think he could cause problems playing anywhere in the final third. Middleton deserves to play (although was a bit quieter yesterday... however his delivery from corners etc is really good).

McAuley looks a class act and I think his experience could be crucial in a big game like this.

He was anonymous yesterday. He should be benched after that performance.

Tell me who wasn’t anonymous yesterday, although arfield scored he has been anonymous most of the season, do we bench him too?

Although we win 3-0, overall it was a pretty poor performance!

Tell me who wasn’t anonymous yesterday, although arfield scored he has been anonymous most of the season, do we bench him too?

That's just not true regarding Arfield.

His work rate and movement is superb which is very important to the team. 6 goals and 4 assist so would also suggest he's not been anonymous all season.

I agree, I thought that was one of our worst showings of the season yesterday up until Morelos came on. We need more in that no 10 role than Ejaria is providing. He's got great skill but 1 goal from him is woeful, whereas Arfield is getting goals from that position. I'd go with Jack, Coulibaly and Arfield. Would also like to see Grezda get a start on Thursday probably for Middleton.

It’s rubbish that ejaria does very little with the ball?
How many goals and assists does he have this season?

Again I will state

Ejaria is a good player, I just would rather more physicality in the middle and then let the front 3 express themselves with more freedom
I'd argue it is. His use of the ball and composure under pressure is his biggest asset. He's also got an eye for a pass in between the lines. I think he should start.

I can see the only changes being Morelos and grezda in for middleton and laff.

I would personally prioritise Hearts and make a few changes but still with the chance to win. If Barasic is fit to play I would start him and get him the minutes in.

Disagree,it’s fantastic opportunity to get to next round so I’d play our best 11
This all day long although I am not sure the gaffer knows his real best 11 yet and some of the shouts on here aimed at certain players are ridiculous.
For a good number of our squad, many have never played so many games at a high level.
That is why they blow hot and cold but improvements are there in most.

I would have thought if Grezda has any chance of featuring he would have been given a run out on Saturday.

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Katic
Halliday

Jack
Coulibaly
Arfield

Candieas
Morelos
Gredza

I actually think Gerrard will go with Worral instead of Katic but I would not be surprised if McAuley is kept for the game at Tynecastle.

Flanigan has been targeted by our opponents for the last few Europa games so unless Barasic comes straight in I can see Halliday keeping his place.

Tough on Middleton but Gredza has been looking sharp, that front 3 would cause a lot of problems.

McAuley will be playing for his height strength & experience, which will be invaluable on Thursday night.

I’d keep Middleton for the bench here. He’s the only ‘impact’ sub we have capable of changing up the game imo. If Barasic is fit he plays.

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson mcauley Barasic
Coulibaly jack arfield
Candeias Morelos Grezda

Think it picks itself apart from the Coulibaly/Ejaria selection. One is a battler the other a possession player. Arfield is the goal threat player. Lassana for me.

3v0 Rangers. Let’s go.
Having just watched the game I’d start Middleton. He’d have their right back on toast.

Hope betis get another. Villarreal have barca at the weekend. Hopefully rest a few players.

Back