Ten Years since Sandy Jardine passed away

mdingwall

Administrator
I wasn't one of his pals. In fact on quite a few occasions before and after the events of 2012 i strongly disagreed with him.

However, my favourite memory of him is not a footballing one. It comes from a meeting of the Rangers Fans Fighting Fund.

The RFFF had pretty much solidified its support behind the good guys - Dougie Park, Dave King, George Letham, George Taylor, et al. Sandy came to a meeting in Bobby Roddie's office. He hadn't been well, although he didn't tell us how unwell he was, and had been on a short holiday.

He looked a little drawn but with a light tan he looked great and on the road to recovery. It was only when he sat next to me that I realised how much his struggle had taken out of him - he was painfully thin around the arms and legs.

Sandy cut into a discussion on the side of the good guys - "you know it doesn't matter to me in any material way now - all I want us to do is what is good for our club".

It was the voice of a man who knew his race was run but he wanted what was right for the club he had come to love.

That long already? I hope Sandy can see what his efforts managed in the end. I'm sure we'll remember Sandy as an outstanding Rangers player and as someone to follow (among others) during our, and his, club's darkest days. He has a fitting memorial now at Ibrox.

Rest easy Sandy, and thank you!

I wasn't one of his pals. In fact on quite a few occasions before and after the events of 2012 i strongly disagreed with him.

However, my favourite memory of him is not a footballing one. It comes from a meeting of the Rangers Fans Fighting Fund.

The RFFF had pretty much solidified its support behind the good guys - Dougie Park, Dave King, George Letham, George Taylor, et al. Sandy came to a meeting in Bobby Roddie's office. He hadn't been well, although he didn't tell us how unwell he was, and had been on a short holiday.

He looked a little drawn but with a light tan he looked great and on the road to recovery. It was only when he sat next to me that I realised how much his struggle had taken out of him - he was painfully thin around the arms and legs.

Sandy cut into a discussion on the side of the good guys - "you know it doesn't matter to me in any material way now - all I want us to do is what is good for our club".

It was the voice of a man who knew his race was run but he wanted what was right for the club he had come to love.

My all time favourite Rangers player who played in my favourite Rangers team that won two trebles under Jock Wallace

Wow i cant believe thats 10 years already.
This was one of the saddest days ever experienced at Ibrox imo.
I made it through til the end until they played Sandy In Royal Blue at the end.
Had to say to the missus i needed the toilet so i could have a wee greet in the toilet.
Not a dry eye in the place.

McCoist certainly has a way with words, Sandy Jardine was a wonderful footballer.
I was up at that game as my big pal Joe had died suddenly and his funeral was that week.
The world lost two fantastic Rangers men that week, one a player and my pal a superfan.

My son worked with Sandy and Bobby Roddie on RFFF work.

Bobby is an old friend of my brother and a former team mate of mine.

Sandy was a gentleman.

In the team that i grew up with, never met him, but wish i had. Always looked graceful on the ball

That long already? I hope Sandy can see what his efforts managed in the end. I'm sure we'll remember Sandy as an outstanding Rangers player and as someone to follow (among others) during our, and his, club's darkest days. He has a fitting memorial now at Ibrox.

Rest easy Sandy, and thank you!
I truly believe if it hadn’t been for Sandy Jardine and Ally McCoist there might not have been a Rangers.

I’ve only spoken to a handful of Rangers players but was very fortunate to have met John Greig and Sandy Jardine in a hotel prior to PSV away
back in 1978. A true Rangers legend,

He took my dad and I round Murray Park on a tour when it first opened.
My dad was completely starstruck

I remember going through to Ibrox with my two mates to lay a scarf down.

Can’t believe it’s been ten years. An icon of the club.

Are there any videos of Sandy's speech on the park after admin?

My son is 12 and would be good to show him and tell him about it.

I had the absolute pleasure of dealing with Sandy while he was at Scottish and Newcastle Breweries and as commercial manager at Rangers
Top bloke

I’m sure that the 1978 League Cup Final in which we beat the mhanky mob 2-1, that Bobby Russell was injured and his midfield berth was took by, Johnny Hamilton.
And to the man that he is, Sandy gave Bobby his winners medal.
Can bears of a same vintage as myself help me confirm this…

didysnL.jpeg

Back