The 55 season totall adds up

Its total pish mate that was an excuse for the filth killing Terry Munro. Same as the Serial Loser talk, same thing - Straight from the mouth of Timbo

We're always too worried about what they say/do/think. For me, saying no fans had an impact doesn't take away from the fact we won the league fair and square on the pitch, and won it very well. It's an explanation for why things go wrong the same way time after time, manager after manager, more than it is for why it went right, though the two are clearly linked. Lockdown games brought about a situation where football ability and tactics played an arguably bigger part than every other season. Because the emotion was largely removed, the atmosphere was sterile and had no sway, on pitch communication was simple.

Our crises of confidence are visible and collective. Fatigue, ability, they're part of it but they don't explain it. This squad is better than they are currently showing, tired or not.

We're always too worried about what they say/do/think. For me, saying no fans had an impact doesn't take away from the fact we won the league fair and square on the pitch, and won it very well. It's an explanation for why things go wrong the same way time after time, manager after manager, more than it is for why it went right, though the two are clearly linked. Lockdown games brought about a situation where football ability and tactics played an arguably bigger part than every other season. Because the emotion was largely removed, the atmosphere was sterile and had no sway, on pitch communication was simple.

Our crises of confidence are visible and collective. Fatigue, ability, they're part of it but they don't explain it. This squad is better than they are currently showing, tired or not.
Mate we've won bigger games in europe, beat Celtic in a Cup Semi at Hampden in Extra Time 56 hours after going winning a European Quarter Final on the Thursday night. We went on to a European Final after beating RB Leipzig from a goal down and were a penalty kick away from winning the thing. We then picked ourselves up to win the Scottish Cup on the Saturday - All in front of big crowds SINCE winning 55.

I don't mean to be sound cheeky but the whole story around us winning 55 because there was no fans is total and utter bollocks.

We've collapsed in the last few weeks because we're running an already small squad (of 'fit' players) into the ground and asking them to go to the well once too often. The players are human at the end of the day and as much as we as fans might think that Ross County or Dundee have no right beating or drawing with us, it happens. This isn't Fifa or Football Manager.

stevie g only lost 4 out of 13 against them.
he had a winning mentality and treated them with contempt.
he left the next season with a healthy lead.
where would we be if the board had backed him.

Players like Davis and Arfield would be first picks in our midfield right now. That’s how bad we have recruited

Do you mean as they are now? Or in their pomp? Because in their pomp they are playijg a different sport from our current midfield.

Whether or not there's any substance in the no crowds, less pressure theory, what cannot be argued is that we have utterly fucked it since then.

We should have built on that with a period of dominance. Instead we have won a Scottish cup and a league cup since May 2021 whilst our rivals have won 2 titles (soon to be 3), 2 league cups and a Scottish cup in the same time frame, despite us being absolutely miles ahead of them in Summer 2021. It's an utter shambles and reflects so poorly on everyone associated with running our club in that time.

This place is getting worse. Aye we're hurting because we have been crap the last few games. But demeaning one of the greatest achievements in our history because we're pissed off stinks. We won big games in front of crowds and in empty stadiums. We lost in front of crowds and in empty stadiums. We never kicked on from 55 because we failed to invest and because in the next 3 seasons we changed managers half way through the season. Accusing Tav of lacking bottle is ludicrous when you consider the pressure goals he has scored over the years. During 55 he and Goldson were at their peak and surrounded by better players than we have had since. That's why they won it. Feck all to do with crowds.

Amazing and welcome as it was the 55 season perfectly sums up the characteristics of our players over the last number of years. The unique situation with Covid allowed the players and staff to be cocooned from the outside world for the day to day of training and preparation and even more so for actual matches and this helped them develop a single mindedness to nail the league, helped also by the other lot imploding. Red flags were the two cup capitulations that were given a pass because of the league. While arguably overachieving in Europe and having a few other big results this group obviously can't hack the pressure of sustaining a league challenge in front of a live audience. As loads have already posted, this lot are only comfortable once they have blown their chances and the pressure is off, as per every year pre and post 55. Some of the newer players may yet have a chance but all of the old guard need shipped out. The technical ability of prospective new signings may have to come secondary to their leadership and motivational skills and I trust PC to be able to identify them. This cycle can't go on.
Fuxx sake we had a bad night..again, and now we are at that point where WE are denigrating our successes.
I can try to understand killing the reputations of anyone from the captain to the kit man and the guy who cuts the grass after a defeat, but now we are turning on what we have won.
WOW.
This place gets so mental at times.

Fuxx sake we had a bad night..again, and now we are at that point where WE are denigrating our successes.
I can try to understand killing the reputations of anyone from the captain to the kit man and the guy who cuts the grass after a defeat, but now we are turning on what we have won.
WOW.
This place gets so mental at times.
I absolutely am not denigrating our successes merely voicing my opinion on how that single season is an outlier in the last number of years. We totally deserved to win that league and were by far the best team and personally it is up there as probably the one that meant most to me over my lifetime but that doesn't mean we can't be critical of previous and subsequent failures and try to work them out. That season was a unique year in the history of football or any sport so IMO it is valid to think these circumstances might have played a part. Like a lot of folk after the last few games my emotions are a bit raw and maybe the wording of my op could have been better but I stand by the general point.

We won that league title three years ago. In that 3 years, the team has changed significantly and a lot of talented players, or players who were in purple patches have left or are now rarely playing due to injury -

Morelos, Kent, Hagi, Kamara, Davis, Jack, Aribo, Helander, Roofe, and even McGregor. That’s 10 players who are either no longer at the club or haven’t contributed much this season due to injury/past it. The 2020/2021 versions of those 10 players would all be starters in today’s team, no doubt about that. I don’t know if no crowds was a factor or not, but what I do know is todays group of players do not posses as much quality as the 55 team. There were even the likes of Arfield and Defoe in the squad.

The recruitment since Gerrard left has been shocking. And he was not backed after winning 55 - maybe finances were tight due to covid, but that doesn’t change the fact that he couldn’t freshen up, or add to that winning team.

I maintain that Gio was dreadfully let down by the board in the summer immediately after the Europa League Final. Great money for Bassey and Aribo, I get that, but where was the backing after that - not just simply with money made available but support from the recruitment department for CL campaign and the domestic title. The players identified and brought in were sub par and that is not on Gio.

Then Beale’s summer splurge is where the real damage to this squad has been done! Dessers, mean no harm to him, but he is simply not good enough, especially for the money spent… he’s not even good enough for a Hearts or Aberdeen.

So we are, in my opinion, now with a collection of players, that are levels below the 55 winning team. This squad is not even close to it if we are honest. And those pointing at Tav and Goldson, saying they are the constant, I get that, but first of all they are both 3 years older now, but more importantly, where’s the help for them, who has been brought in to support and compliment them on the field. How many actual leaders (even young players who are leaders) have we signed since we won 55. Butland? Struggling to think of any others!

The personnel on the pitch today are quite different to the team that won 55, so I struggle when people commenting on this season’s teams mentality, then draw conclusions that the 55 team must have won the league because of no crowds. The performance and mentality of today’s team is irrelevant when assessing the performance and mentality of the 55 winning team as they are not the same team!

This is not a particularly talented Rangers team and lacks leaders. They are not good enough, that’s not the players fault. This has happened due back to back poor summer transfer windows, a catalogue of bad decisions and poor strategic planning. I have no doubt the board are trying very hard, but they have a lot to learn and improve as they have overseen the period that saw the team win 55 and then remarkably reach a Europa league final to now being a collection of footballers who simply are not good enough. I do think they have made a very good appointment in Clement, so there is hope…

Davis, Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Roofe, Hagi, Kent and Morelos backed by an in-form and fit Helander is why we won the league that year. Most of them have moved and on and been replaced by worse.

Save the Celtic fans talking point for them.
Just to further this argument against the op

The Scottish cup game we rested Davis, Morelos, Roofe and a few others which was insane given the league was won by then!

We had a core team entering a period where we could have dominated

We won that league title three years ago. In that 3 years, the team has changed significantly and a lot of talented players, or players who were in purple patches have left or are now rarely playing due to injury -

Morelos, Kent, Hagi, Kamara, Davis, Jack, Aribo, Helander, Roofe, and even McGregor. That’s 10 players who are either no longer at the club or haven’t contributed much this season due to injury/past it. The 2020/2021 versions of those 10 players would all be starters in today’s team, no doubt about that. I don’t know if no crowds was a factor or not, but what I do know is todays group of players do not posses as much quality as the 55 team. There were even the likes of Arfield and Defoe in the squad.

The recruitment since Gerrard left has been shocking. And he was not backed after winning 55 - maybe finances were tight due to covid, but that doesn’t change the fact that he couldn’t freshen up, or add to that winning team.

I maintain that Gio was dreadfully let down by the board in the summer immediately after the Europa League Final. Great money for Bassey and Aribo, I get that, but where was the backing after that - not just simply with money made available but support from the recruitment department for CL campaign and the domestic title. The players identified and brought in were sub par and that is not on Gio.

Then Beale’s summer splurge is where the real damage to this squad has been done! Dessers, mean no harm to him, but he is simply not good enough, especially for the money spent… he’s not even good enough for a Hearts or Aberdeen.

So we are, in my opinion, now with a collection of players, that are levels below the 55 winning team. This squad is not even close to it if we are honest. And those pointing at Tav and Goldson, saying they are the constant, I get that, but first of all they are both 3 years older now, but more importantly, where’s the help for them, who has been brought in to support and compliment them on the field. How many actual leaders (even young players who are leaders) have we signed since we won 55. Butland? Struggling to think of any others!

The personnel on the pitch today are quite different to the team that won 55, so I struggle when people commenting on this season’s teams mentality, then draw conclusions that the 55 team must have won the league because of no crowds. The performance and mentality of today’s team is irrelevant when assessing the performance and mentality of the 55 winning team as they are not the same team!

This is not a particularly talented Rangers team and lacks leaders. They are not good enough, that’s not the players fault. This has happened due back to back poor summer transfer windows, a catalogue of bad decisions and poor strategic planning. I have no doubt the board are trying very hard, but they have a lot to learn and improve as they have overseen the period that saw the team win 55 and then remarkably reach a Europa league final to now being a collection of footballers who simply are not good enough. I do think they have made a very good appointment in Clement, so there is hope…
Spot on.

Oh for goodness sake. Another thread peddling the same nonsense about an “”old guard”.

Not good enough to beat Dundee or Ross County (or even string a few passes together) when they're chasing a title but good enough to beat Betis on their own patch, run Benfica close? I don't understand that logic.

Isn't it amazing how they're always not good enough when they're under a bit of pressure but can do wonders when they're not?

Davis, Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Roofe, Hagi, Kent and Morelos backed by an in-form and fit Helander is why we won the league that year. Most of them have moved and on and been replaced by worse.

Save the Celtic fans talking point for them.
This goes under the radar , between him and McGregor bailed out Goldson that season

Not good enough to beat Dundee or Ross County (or even string a few passes together) when they're chasing a title but good enough to beat Betis on their own patch, run Benfica close? I don't understand that logic.

Isn't it amazing how they're always not good enough when they're under a bit of pressure but can do wonders when they're not?

Tbf mate every game we play has pressure.

You can't say that Ross County and Dundee had pressure that Kilamrnock away a few weeks ago didn't. That Hearts away in December didn't. That the Aberdeen League Cup Final had. That the game we had, I forget where, the day after Celtic drew with Killie at home, etc.

It's pretty selective to just claim the ones we didn't win show we can't cope with pressure. Could do that with any team. Even the very best at any point in football history.

Tbf mate every game we play has pressure.

You can't say that Ross County and Dundee had pressure that Kilamrnock away a few weeks ago didn't. That Hearts away in December didn't. That the Aberdeen League Cup Final had. That the game we had, I forget where, the day after Celtic drew with Killie at home, etc.

It's pretty selective to just claim the ones we didn't win show we can't cope with pressure. Could do that with any team. Even the very best at any point in football history.

You're right to point that out. It's a certain type of pressure that seems to get to them more, hitting a bump in the road at a time they're expected to be winning. They start to play with fear and suddenly there's a collapse. There's likely more to it than just pressure, as you say there have been times they've coped. But it's too obvious a pattern to ignore, that complete collapse when things go off course. I think the empty stadiums were useful in our 55 season, in underplaying that pressure, but I'm just giving an opinion in a general rage at the latest failure.

Last edited:
Never read so much nonsense in all my life. This place is a zoo ffs. Look at the squad back then and look at it now. Deary me.
The squad back then failed the season before 55, and failed the season after.

In both campaigns they capitulated from promising positions.

In season 20-21 they were ruthless and all conquering. Single minded and fully focused.

There will be many reasons for this. Dealing better with have no external influences will be one of them.

That is utter bs ffs these are professional footballers had to play under the same conditions as anyone else! Did we not just win a cup with crowds and reach a European final against better teams in our league with crowds there? How fecking dare you minimise 55 in a vile Celtic bitter fan way! You forget the prejudiced way we have been officiated too?

We are not losing due to bottle regardless of you and some others allowing yourselves to be bottle fed opposition Scum propaganda!

This is about our team losing energy, making mistakes, gifting, lack of communication, fight and desire and in a lot of games officiating still the same and we have lost many players who were making an impact due to injury and less protection than any other team!

Nothing to do with crowd attendance but everything to do with the above and our team personnel with others being given their chances to take places of the injured and failed to do that job along with trying to get these players recently back from injury back to where they were but you can see they and we needed more time but it may now be too late for them to recapture that form pre-injury?

These are the main reasons for what is going on not not some pathetic COVID title sh*t nonsense from the mentally challenged opposing fans or fans from here importing their bs from 2021!

You only hear crap like this up here. Liverpool won their first title in 30 years with no fans. They haven't won it since. Are they bottlers who can't cope with crowds? Or any of the clubs round Europe who won their leagues under the same circumstances? Next we will have people wanting an asterisk at our title. Sound familiar?

In season 20-21 they were ruthless and all conquering. Single minded and fully focused.

There will be many reasons for this. Dealing better with have no external influences will be one of them.
You mean like bias pundits, Celtic newspapers ltd, sky Celtic media stuff like that or the bottle fed mentally challenged scum supporting having no crowd deluded nonsense?

Maybe have a look at some of the players we had then, Gerrard upgraded them season by season.

I can't fathom the logic of a Rangers fan saying we only won 55 because the pressure was off

We were trying to stop 10 in a row for the love of %^*& and did so with an unbeaten league campaign

Think whatever you wish of the current team but don't rewrite history because you've been listening to Tim's spout this shite for years

Covid aside, the capitulation by the manky mob helped, it may well have been a different story if they had put any pressure on us.
Instead we had it won by the first week in March.

Well it sure does sound like one.

We've got poorer players in key positions than back then wouldn't you agree?
At the end of the day it’s just a theory, nobody can prove anything one way or the other. I don’t give it a lot of thought…we won the league, it was the one they really wanted the most and I don’t care what anyone thinks about the circumstances around it. Similarly when we failed to secure ten in a row, I’ll always maintain WE were a better team than them that season as we beat them twice in the league, drew one and lost one AND knocked them out the Scottish Cup at the Savile hut. It matters not a jot what I believe though..we dropped a few silly points to the wee teams and it ultimately cost us record breaking immortality.

I can't fathom the logic of a Rangers fan saying we only won 55 because the pressure was off

We were trying to stop 10 in a row for the love of %^*& and did so with an unbeaten league campaign

Think whatever you wish of the current team but don't rewrite history because you've been listening to Tim's spout this shite for years
These will be the same numbnut fans that like Snyde, daily records, PLZ and aw the shite of the day!

We’d have won it anyway that year, we just had a much better team than them and we were so effective.

It doesn’t take away from the fact that a lot of them are gutless though.

Back