The appointment of Alex McLeish in 2001

In truth I don’t remember many other names being bandied around at the time although I don’t think Murray had any intention of approaching Graham - I think it was just a fan wish list thing more than anything else.

It’s a tricky one because Graham felt like a guy on the wane, whereas McLeish was an up-and-coming manager.

Loathe as I am to give Murray credit for anything, his choice of manager was more or less impeccable.

How could anyone be excited about Eck after Advocaat? So, like everyone, I wasn't overly enthusiastic when he signed.

I do remember his first game in charge and saying to the guys that he will definitely shore up our previously leaky defence under Dick. He did.

He also started really well with two cup wins and a treble, although downsizing and some disappointing failures on the signing front let him down. It also has to be remembered he signed some terrific signings as well, and delivered Helicopter Sunday.

Anyway, underwhelmed at the outset, OP, but he ended up having nothing to be ashamed of when he left.

I wasn't a fan of Advocaat and my dad went to school with Eck, so 13 year old Mr was quite happy, to be honest.

I remember seeing on the back of the Sunday Mail that McLeish was going to get the job and laughing to myself that there was nae chance of that happening.

To be fair you couldn't fault the first 18 months. You also can't blame McLeish for the fact that the 03 side was sold and he was scraps to replace them with.

McLeish did a fantastic job I saw summer of 04. He got Prso and JAB on Bosmans then paid £500k for Novo. No one will ever forgot Helicopter Sunday.

It would be a good story if it ended there.

So true about the story.

A great ending but it wasn't.

The poets threw the league away twice and we took advantage.

McLeish got lucky for those two days.

So true about the story.

Bollocks!

I’ll give you Helicopter Sunday at a push, but we were deserved winners in 2003 and probably should have had it wrapped up sooner - we dropped 5 points in successive games to let the Yahoos back into it with only 3 games remaining.

Correct. But to say its a miracle that a squad with Klos, Amoruso, Numan, Ferguson, De Boer, Mccann, Lovenkrands etc etc could win leagues and cups is a bit of a stretch is it not?
No certainly not a miracle mate, the double in 04/05 was impressive as obviously sobwas the treble and the double during hisbhalf season but when we were bad under Eck we were really bad haha.

Still 7 trophies in what 4 and a half seasons isn’t to bad considering the downsizing

I still call the 2002/2003 season, the forgotten treble as sucess that year for a Scottish team was losing a European final and not winning anything on the home front.

Dont forget at the end of that season Ferguson, McCann, Amoruso, Numan all left due to cost cutting. How could you replace one of Europe's best left backs, Scotlands best midfielder of his generation with Vanolli and Emerson.

His time at Rangers was the beginning of the austerity years.

The mentally challengeds were spending big and had their best team since BJ (K) so Alex McLeish did exceptionally well to win the honours he did.

And he conducted himself admirably at a time when O'Squeal and TLB were ramping up the hatred.

I remember being really disappointed at the time. Advocaat had a talented group of players however he had alienated many of them and they weren't playing for him and he really struggled against hammer throwers that had been assembled elsewhere.

It was clear Rangers were going for the cheap option but Advocaat left Rangers with qualification in Europe beyond Christmas for the first time since 92/93.

McLeish, as many have pointed out already, did really well with Advocaat's players. It was clear he was a great man manager. He started playing lovenkrands as a central striker and we all know well that ended in 2002 Scottish Cup final (I gave my ticket away to a pal as I was in Kentucky for the Derby). Gutted to miss that one!!

He also gave us a treble the following season when THEY were all telling us they were going for a quadruple. Sensational and brilliant to see the wheels come off the tracks.

The next season was awful and utterly forgettable.

Then we had a great 04/05. Beat them twice in November and lifted the league cup before clinching the league in the most dramatic circumstances ever. My best day as a Rangers fan. Incredible.

Next season, there was even less investment, we horsed Chesney's team at Ibrox in August. They had people like Adam Virgo playing then we had our worst domestic run in our history but McLeish managed to get us to the last 16 of the CL and had Boyd converted a sitter in Villareal we would have made the quarter finals!

Funny old game but overall McLeish made history. Really disappointed he returned to the Scotland job this year.

The 05/06 season domestically was absolutely awful, ended up finishing 18 points behind Celtic and it would’ve been more if we never signed Boyd in the January.

Gave me some of my best moments following the team, but he also made me come close to chucking it as some of the football was that bad.

Murray had already warned in early 2000 that our spending was more or less out of control and that we were going to have to start tightening our belt.

He then sanctioned over £30m more in transfers during the following year so I think there was perhaps a sense amongst the support that it wasn’t as bad as he’d originally made out.

So when Advocaat came to ‘move upstairs’ in December of 2001 the appointment of McLeish, who’d done well with Motherwell and Hibs, but had hardly been outstanding, was a huge wake up call.

Most fans wanted George Graham from what I remember.

George Graham was spoken to at the time and backend out after he was told how little he would have to spend.

Then, and only then, was Eck approached.

I remember the day after he was appointed, as my 22 stone English teacher in Paisley Grammar insisted that Eck was a Roman-Catholic Celtic fan, and it was great to see Rangers move with the times. Fat cow kicked me out of the class for pointing out she was talking shite; asked how she knew Eck was a tim and she said "I've lived in Barrhead for years," and I replied saying my dad went to school with Eck and Peter Weir, and Eck was most definitely a Proddy and a bluenose. (My dad said that Weir genuinely did have a soft spot for Aberdeen as a lad, but also liked us too; hated the tims.)

Incidentally, saw this same teacher a few times in church in Neilston; she's not a 19th Century Terrorist, so %^*& knows what she was playing at.

But, aye. I love Eck. His strength is turning around someone's else team, granted, but he also didn't have the budget to spend that Murray blew during the Advocaat era. He also brought in a few players like Capucho and Emerson who, on paper, looked decent signings and then flopped spectacularly, so as much as he signed some amount of shite, some signings were shite with hindsight rather than being obviously bad recruitment.

I think he should have left in 2005, rather than keep the hotseat warm for Le Guen. That last season really sours a lot of folk on a manager who delivered five trophies in a season & a half, then delivered another last day title triumph two years later; overall a good track record in Europe too. Murray hung him out to dry by waiting on Le Guen, then hung him out to dry all season with the "we'll review his performance - nah, we're sticking with him" stuff.

Would I have wanted him to be our gaffer again? Probably not. He's not moved with the times, and the transfer market he followed the most - France - no longer provides bargains. But would I have preferred him over Pedro, Murty or McInnes? Aye.

I thought peter weir was a st mirren fan when he was younger.

Big eck's sister married a pape so maybe the teacher put 2&2 together & got 5

I was 17 at the time when he was appointed, and can't remember being wildly excited, more curiously optimistic at how it might go. The season until then had resembled what a modern day season 3 looks like for Jose Mourinho, it was only a question of who and when for the change.

It was while Big Eck was there that I got my first season ticket too, and I had some great times going to the football back then. Mind you, it was frustratingly unpredictable what you were going to see, sometimes you really felt on the verge of a real breakthrough, only to fall flat on our face. Think of beating Anorthosis to qualify for Champions League, buzzing for the weekend, then move Prso wide left to give Stevie Thompson a game through the middle and get horsed by an Ivan Sproule led Hibs!

His signings summed up his tenure, from the sublime to the ridiculous. Novo, Prso and Boumsong for less than half a million, to washed up haddies like Eggen, Ostenstad, Maniero. Then there were signings that looked brilliant on paper, Capucho, part of the exciting Porto side that had jumped the mentally challengeds of their dream Euro win, Jeffers who epitomized the 'he'll score for fun up here' belief but just failed spectacularly.

Looking back it was certainly a rollercoaster ride, and history shouldn't reflect too badly on him and focus only on the bad spells of his time in charge. A better trophy return than the speccy bigot is always overlooked by many. He certainly made some baffling mistakes, but he gave us great memories and importantly carried and conducted himself with the class we should expect from one of our managers.

Can someone please explain what happened to Advocaat upon the appointment of McLeish? A little before my time. I was alive, yes, but too young to understand anything.

Can someone please explain what happened to Advocaat upon the appointment of McLeish? A little before my time. I was alive, yes, but too young to understand anything.

He was moved into the position of General Manager/Director of Football(without a lot of detail about what the role would entail). A couple of months later, he became the Netherlands manager.

Supporters tend not to look at balance sheets but there is an extremely strong correlation between expenditure and success - that certainly applies in Scottish football. McLeish's appointment signified that the days of big spending were over.

To win the first five trophies available to him when faced with O'Neill's side was a remarkable achievement. Although we still had very good players, the playing squad in 2002-03 lacked depth.

The relationship between Advocaat and the players broke down and I suspect the same thing happened with McLeish later on.

The bigger picture, though, is that many alternatives to McLeish would not have won the league title, let alone twice, and for that we should be grateful. I believe it gave Walter Smith something of a financial platform on which to build in the late noughties and probably delayed the meltdown of the club.

It was a strange one at the time. Bringing in a manager with a proven track record of doing the maximum with limited budgets.

In hindsight it all makes sense. And it certainly paid off.

George Graham was spoken to at the time and backend out after he was told how little he would have to spend.

In truth I can’t really remember.

I had it in my head that no approach was ever made towards Graham, but now that you mention the money thing, that does ring a bell.

It may have been underwhelming but it had came to light that Murray had left us in a bad way financially and it was the beginning if the downsizing of our club and mcleish was the cheap option.
I mean no disrespect to Mcleish though as he gave us 3 of the most exciting and happiest days with the 2 helicopter Sunday’s and the scottish cup final win v them.
Concur with this, yes we endured some shite but Helicopter Sunday,the Lovenkrands Final and the 2003 treble(among others) should ensure Eck deserves fond memories from the support who witnessed it.
On a personal note,I`m sad that Scotland and Eck are struggling just now. The guy should be away,retired;and nowhere near it.

Bollocks!

I’ll give you Helicopter Sunday at a push, but we were deserved winners in 2003 and probably should have had it wrapped up sooner - we dropped 5 points in successive games to let the Yahoos back into it with only 3 games remaining.

I thought we’d blown it away to Dundee when we missed 2 penalties. I couldn’t believe it as we deserved to win that league. We finished strongly and took it on goal difference though.

Aye, to say we got lucky is ridiculous. We finished on 97 points and scored over 100 goals.

Adovcaat bottled shortly after oneill arrived.
Murray and advocaat dressed it up that alex was the next big thing, up and coming young manager and all that.
Advocaat was moving upstairs etc, was gone quite quick after alex arrived i think.
Advocaat didn’t bottle it. His arrogance and subsequent stubborness got the better of him.

He thought, and rightly so, he had a better football team technically than o’neill. He also underestimated wibbles considerable man management abilities which, perhaps learned under Brian Clough, turned journeyman players like the clown Thomson into formidable opponents.

After a bad start and fracturing the squad with unnecessary squabbles Advocaat was unable to turn it round against a good and consistent mentally challenged side.

McLeish took the same squad to multiple trophies, confirming Advocaats belief that they were superior to o’Neills team.

I thought peter weir was a st mirren fan when he was younger.

Big eck's sister married a pape so maybe the teacher put 2&2 together & got 5

My dad told me the St. Mirren thing was exaggerated when he broke through at Aberdeen. Peter had been to a few of their games, but he wasn't a fan. (He went to a few Rangers games on the Neilston supporters bus with my dad too.)

It was also said that Murray was put off by Graham not wanting to relocate his family as they were settled in London, so planned to visit them as much as possible during the week. The reason that was an obstacle is he'd left Leeds due to his family living in London.

At the time it was a "what the f*ck are we doing appointing a sheep shagging bastard as our manager" time.. But he certainly done a grand job for us.. I have no irks with big Eck.

Played for the sheep but was born on Duke Street and a lifelong bear.

He massively overachieved when you look at the state Advocaat left us in.

It was definitely a step down in status to go from Advocaat to McLeish but his “Rangers” credentials were shouted high & wide and when he won the cup double in his first season it was as good a start as you could have hoped for.

Some of the football was utterly honking over the period though, albeit that year on year the budget for transfers, wages etc was reducing and you could see the effect on the pitch.
I remember coming back from the 2002-03 Scottish Cup semi final and chatting that history would be incredibly kind to Alex McLeosh as a Rangers manager.

A right good Rangers man though and he surprised me with some of what he achieved.

04/05 was the exception to the rule of McLeish's managerial career. Had to build his own team and did a good job of it, winning a double.

That summer the bheggars lost 5-0 in Bratislava and it looked like we'd dominate for a while.

What transpired instead was 2nd only to McCoist in the lower leagues for complete amateurism.

I Must have been in the minority but I was quite pleased at the time, he had done well at both Motherwell and Hibs. It was obvious we had lived beyond our means with Advocaat and had to reign ourselves in a bit, for me he fitted the bill quite well.

His record with us was also reasonable. Yes we have a couple of bad years, his final one in particular was dreadful but he also won us the treble and gave us the two most memorable league wins in living memory. And he also got us to the last 26 of the champions league, facts often overlooked when discussing Eck.

I’m with you. I thought it was the sensible option at the time.

McLeish managed us fantastically well in his first 18 months.

Yes we were terrible in 03/04 and 05/06, but people are quite ignorant of some of the facts around that time.

I can’t remember the full squads we had at the times off the top of my head, but first 18 months he’d started getting the best out of Ricksen and had pretty much converted him into a right of centre midfielder and really harnessed his energy.
After the two cup wins the only major signing was Arteta, and we then won the treble, securing 5 trophies in a row.
In 03/04, we may have coped with the loss of Amo, if we hadn’t lost Ferguson. That just ripped the heart right out of us, and the last minute replacements were dire. Coupled with some poor moves, Capucho in Canniggia out etc, it was just disastrous!
However, another thing to throw back at the “shite when he signs his own players” crew, is that he totally rebuilt us with Soti and Marvin at the back, Alex Rae in midfield, and Prso and Novo up front.
A pure workman like team built on a fucking shoestring budget, and they/he gave us Helicopter Sunday!
The 05/06 Season though, is pretty much indefensible. Some of the selections, tactics, performances..... deep breaths.......it was as bad as people are making out.
People talking about players, signings etc.....Hamed Namouchi was a fucking atrocious footballer and Eck played him nearly every week!! He was so so bad, and what McLeish saw....Jesus...I’ll never know!
One of the few bright spots that season, he signed Kris Boyd, who was another obvious signing to make. We also got to the last 16 as already mentioned, but it really didn’t lift the mood around us. It was just dire.

But, Alex McLeish must be remembered fondly by most bears.
Here was a guy who bested their Republican hero manager with Advocaat’s ‘duds’, won everything in an 18 month spell, including a treble.
Rebuilt for 04/05 on a continually reducing budget and bested him again.
Make no mistake. The timsfucking love O’Neill, he epitomises their 19th Century Terroristness, and Alex McLeish, despite his obvious flaws and failures over his tenure, fucking stuck it to him big time.
In my 40 years, that’s the best they’ve ever been. The strongest, the hardest, and at a time when the balance was shifting a bit.
Alex McLeish redressed the balance. He shut their fucking republican resurgence down.
On an interview after that treble win, he told Radio Scotland in a big interview that his dad was a proud Orangeman and a Rangers man, and he hoped he was proud of what he achieved.

I’ll never be Alex McLeish’sbiggest fan, and I get the anger at 03/04 and 05/06, but in terms of what he achieved, and what he was up against, we owe him a fucking massive debt of gratitude.

Alex McLeish is a massive bear, and he overachieved in his time as our manager!

He was also in my opinion the right appointment at the time.

So true about the story.

I’m going to thoroughly disagree with you there.
In 02/03, we went too in October, and with their UEFA run, they were fucking hanging onto our coattails all season.
Only us losing at home to them, then drawing at Dundee gave them a glimmer.
Don’t believe any fucking tarried that tells you they threw it away that year. We were in the box seat most of the way, and but for a few hiccups at thebusiness end, they’d never have got a sniff!

It's hard to pick Eck's worst signing tbf.

And not all of it is his fault; we went from Murray giving Walter and then Advocaat basically a blank cheque - to Martin Bain and Eck bringing in guys on a shoestring - there was always going to be a big drop off in quality, but it probably still shouldn't have been as bad as some of it was.

His list of signings in full btw:

Year One
Mikel Arteta (basically an Advocaat signing)
Steven Thompson
Jerome Bonnissel
Kevin Muscat
Dan Eggan

The last 3 did pretty much zero. Arteta was a good player in 2002-03 but then was getting benched for Boab Malcolm a year later with many our fans calling him a shitebag. Even then I thought Stephen Thompson was a prick - I was right.

Year Two
Zurab Khizanishvilli
Paulo Vanoli
Nuno Capucho
Henning Berg
Emerson
Egil Ostenstad
Hamed Namouchi
Gavin Rae
Frank de Boer

Dreadful. Some genuine contenders for worst signing of all time in there. I liked FdB at least.

Year Three
Dado Prso
Alex Rae
Marvin Andrews
Jean-Alain Boumsong
Dragan Mladenovich
Nacho Novo
Gregory Vignal
Thomas Buffel
Barry Ferguson
Soti Kyrgiakos
Ronald Wattereous

So much better. Eck being Eck there had to be one howler in there with the Serbian Zidane though.

Year Four
Ian Murray
Brahim Hemdani
Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan
Julien Rodriquez
Federico Nieto
Filippo Maniero
Olivier Bernard
Franny Jeffers
Kris Boyd

The pits.

Two lowlights I have to mention; in classic FF style we heard we were getting an exciting young Argentinian attacker on loan and managed to work ourselves into a frenzy convinced we were getting Messi...and then Federico Nieto was unveiled.

And the mercurial Mr Maniero. 'Pippo' was signed on the last day of the transfer window and then pretty much never seen again. :D

Year 4. Wow, when you see it broken down like that you realise what a terrible manager McLeish was (in terms of recruitment). He did bring in Boyd, Novo and Prso sonit wasn’t all bad.

He’s a decent manager but no more than that. He inherited some cracking players from Advocaat and without them he’d be struggling to win more than a couple of trophies.

Boyd. Novo. Prso. Hemdani. Andrews. Rae. Ferguson. all made immense contributions. Arteta. Boumsong and Buffel were good players too. He got the best out of Ricksen. Done a good job matching Saint Martin. He doesn't owe us anything. Hasn't had a success as manager since 2010. Shouldn't be Scotland boss

Eck did a great job for us. He was a net spender in the transfer market and had to manage a vastly reduced wage bill as well. Younger bears, read this and weep: eck won the league and scottish cup after taking over in January (the league was already lost). He then won a treble which included helicopter Sunday. We also qualifed for the ladt 16 of the champions league, the first Scottish side to do this. A terrible year finishing 3rd in a 2 horse race followed however hindsight points to huge issues behind the scenes. Really like the big man, gave us some great days.

I thought we’d blown it away to Dundee when we missed 2 penalties. I couldn’t believe it as we deserved to win that league. We finished strongly and took it on goal difference though.

Aye, to say we got lucky is ridiculous. We finished on 97 points and scored over 100 goals.

We had the chance to more or less win it the previous week at home to Celtic, who’d only had two and a half days rest following their UEFA Cup semi final in Portugal whereas we had a full week to prepare yet put in one of our worst performances of the season and got turned over.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so angry after an Old Firm match.

Played for the sheep but was born on Duke Street and a lifelong bear.

He massively overachieved when you look at the state Advocaat left us in.
At the time i dd not realise he was a bluenose, i did find out soon enough. Big Eck done a fantastic job for us and i like the big man.

Some right bad memories looking through the list of names. Olivier Bernard fs.

We were god awful in 03/04 but to some extent it was to be expected after losing McCann, Canniggia, Numan etc and replacing that level of quality with free transfers.

05/06 domestically was simply an utter disgrace. Out of the title race by Halloween and the crowning glory was Hibs knocking us out the Scottish cup 3-0 at Ibrox. First time that i can recall leaving before the final whistle. They'd gubbed us by the same exact same score earlier in the league as well. Embarassing.

Underwhelming at the time. But then again the reappointment of Walter for his second stint was also underwhelming. On reflection they were both the right men for the job at the time.

It’s amazing how Eck’s managerial career just collapsed though. From taking Birmingham to their highest EPL finish in decades and the only trophy they will win in a generation to a succession of disasters thereafter.

Amazed he took the Scotland job. He’s been on a hiding to nothing there from day 1.

Amazed he took the Scotland job. He’s been on a hiding to nothing there from day 1.
It was that or dole money though. Only the SFA would be stupid enough to give him a job these days. Look at his jobs in Belgium and Egypt for evidence of his recent managerial abilities!

Advocaat didn’t bottle it. His arrogance and subsequent stubborness got the better of him.

He thought, and rightly so, he had a better football team technically than o’neill. He also underestimated wibbles considerable man management abilities which, perhaps learned under Brian Clough, turned journeyman players like the clown Thomson into formidable opponents.

After a bad start and fracturing the squad with unnecessary squabbles Advocaat was unable to turn it round against a good and consistent mentally challenged side.

McLeish took the same squad to multiple trophies, confirming Advocaats belief that they were superior to o’Neills team.
Whatever you want to call it.
But the dutch down tools when the going gets tough and everybody else is to blame.
20 million on bert, fernando and flo nearly 20 years ago.
So in theory in todays money that would be 50 million aporox.
Imo not one of them would get into our 11 on the field today.
We only owed about 17 million around uefa cup final. Murray gave advocaat
cart blanche that summer and it was a major bloomer.2001

We papered over the cracks with McLeish.

Highs

He brought us a treble.
He managed to bring in some fantastic players.
He took us to the last 16.
He could beat the scum.

Lows

10 games without a win
Awful record against poets
Some stinking signings
424 formation

He was no where what was required for a rangers manager. He is a quick fix manager but when he goes into the market it was scary.

It was a underwhelming appointment with a mixed outcome.
j1tMUNW.gif

he did well initially with what was still a quality squad

the minute he had to buy in it went to shit

still did better than i thought he was going to but finishing third summed him up TBH

We finished third due to a combination of our ineptitude and the vermin deliberately throwing a game to a team that hadn't beat them all season to make sure they wouldn't have to share the CL pot...

Whatever you want to call it.
But the dutch down tools when the going gets tough and everybody else is to blame.
20 million on bert, fernando and flo nearly 20 years ago.
So in theory in todays money that would be 50 million aporox.
Imo not one of them would get into our 11 on the field today.
We only owed about 17 million around uefa cup final. Murray gave advocaat
cart blanche that summer and it was a major bloomer.2001

And that’s before you add in wages. Put Kanchelskis and Ball into that too and it’s a huge sum.

I didn't want him at Ibrox. I never rated him in any capacity, and I pretty much hated his tenure at Rangers. I enjoyed the success we had as a Gers supporter, but the guy got by with another manager's players. He wasn't for me. Then, now or anytime.

j1tMUNW.gif

We finished third due to a combination of our ineptitude and the vermin deliberately throwing a game to a team that hadn't beat them all season to make sure they wouldn't have to share the CL pot...

In his earlier games he out foxed O'Neill.

O'Neill went 442 and that ended that.

Look at the record from earlier on against the mhanks then how we ended.

Facts are facts.

Back