The Boca v River Derby

Been to 6 Superclásicos over the years. Absolute fantastic matches and atmosphere but nothing compared to Old Firms in 70s and early 80s. Doesn't even come close for me but maybe that's because I was able to savour the spectacle rather than being invested in the outcome

I bet it is, they’re mental and it looks great.

Did you go with Boca fans or just go? Always thought having some locals along side would be better.
I was in BA after having done a trek in Patagonia.
A few of us managed to get tickets for a match against Newell’s Old Boys.
An amazing atmosphere.
You could actually feel the ground moving under your feet.
Another massive plus is a fantastic fan run steak cafe which everyone seems to go to and they carve out these huge bits of meat and put them in massive rolls!!

If went to Boca again then happily make own way, first time I'd use a tour as they take you to where pre match street parties are. They are amazing and something you wouldn't want to miss.

Anyone remember the stand at La Bombanera where the concrete had cracked and the terracing was literally moving backwards and forwards as the fans bounced around, scary stuff?

Anyway, for a big open stadium in Rosario the Boca and River fans made plenty of noise, as you can hear in the highlights.

River v Boca has got just about everything going for it as a spectacle and is the match up MOST football fans around the world would love to experience firsthand, myself included. Us v Them used to be the biggest and best in Britain for atmosphere hands down and probably still is on occasion but I personally don’t think it’s anything special in that regard anymore, it certainly isn’t comparable to the atmosphere of my youth in the 1980s. The rivalry will always be fierce but the game has been diluted significantly in various ways over the years which have been discussed at length on here numerous times.

One thing I believe is totally unique to the derby in Glasgow which I have discussed with fans of other clubs I have met over the years is the filth’s squealing over songs or a chant and have asked them what they think and to put themselves in the same scenario with their teams v their main rival…have you ever been told you can’t sing a certain song or songs because it offends your rivals? This is met with utter disbelief, you’re joking right? And my answer is always the same…NO it’s the truth and happened because our bitterest rivals CANNOT handle the situation well at all when it’s Rangers on top. But how is such a thing possible? Because there are many celtic fans in politics in my country and they plot and try to use legislation to target the fans of the club they hate so much.. it consumes them beyond belief! LEGISLATION come on FFS! So it’s a BIG well done celtic fans and all their poodles basically proving conclusively they really can’t handle the rivalry.

This happened to us in 2013 when Boca played River,this was the last time they were allowed in and they got them out the way first, which makes sense to be honest.

Seen it even at Banfield v San Martin, which wasn’t that lively at all in all honesty - in a decent suburban residential area and there was only about 100 away fans. Kept 10,000 home fans in for 10 mins after!

Been to 6 Superclásicos over the years. Absolute fantastic matches and atmosphere but nothing compared to Old Firms in 70s and early 80s. Doesn't even come close for me but maybe that's because I was able to savour the spectacle rather than being invested in the outcome

When was the first one you went to? The actual Football was diabolical when I went in 2008.

I was in BA after having done a trek in Patagonia.
A few of us managed to get tickets for a match against Newell’s Old Boys.
An amazing atmosphere.
You could actually feel the ground moving under your feet.
Another massive plus is a fantastic fan run steak cafe which everyone seems to go to and they carve out these huge bits of meat and put them in massive rolls!!
Jealous :))

Yeah, I'm taking about the actual atmosphere at OF games. It's nowhere near as good as many make it out to be.
There's a video of an Old Firm game from the Govan Stand. The atmosphere was better in previous years but there were a lot more people drunk and fans could sit with friends so had multiple groups trying to start songs all around the stadium. Have to say the football at that time was more blood and thunder and more enjoyable. This made it easier for the crowd to stay up, whereas nowadays there can be a lot of horse-shoe-ing where the game goes a bit flat.

Can't help but think the lack of away fans has taken away from it, glad to have experienced it with them in at Boca and also in Madrid for the Copa Lib Final. Argentina is another level for Football passion, incredible place. There are so many brilliant derbies there, Rosario Derby is brilliant.
Google Newall’s Old Boys trading session before their game against Rosario. They banned away fans so Newall’s OB held a trading session open to fans.
There were 40k there for about 8 hours and the fireworks, chants and players dancing to songs was in another world from our sanitized ninsense.

Google Newall’s Old Boys trading session before their game against Rosario. They banned away fans so Newall’s OB held a trading session open to fans.
There were 40k there for about 8 hours and the fireworks, chants and players dancing to songs was in another world from our sanitized ninsense.

Think that’s something I posted pal. Like I’ve mentioned being in with Newells at Racing was an amazing experience, managed to get in when a copper took pity on me - let me in through a gate to buy a ticket, think it was being treated as a bubble game. They were 3-0 down after 30 mins but never stopped.

Best place for sourcing tickets for either River or Boca?

Also, for anyone that’s took in a few games in Argentina or Argie/Brazil how did you plan it and how long is enough to spend in each country?

If we go, would like to split between Rio & Buenos Aires.

The Old Firm doesn’t come anywhere near the River v Boca game. There is no comparison in terms of noise, passion, colour and overall spectacle and sense of occassion.

The OF is like a garden tea party when you compare the two. The OF is massively over hyped in Scotland.

'Mon the River Plate!

Claudio Cannigia played in both the Buenos Aries and Old Firm derby matches. He also played in other club derby games across Europe. Cannigia's opinion was that the Old Firm game was the nearest that came to matching the Boca v River Plate game.

@

Also, for anyone that’s took in a few games in Argentina or Argie/Brazil how did you plan it and how long is enough to spend in each country?

@drgriffen is up to speed on the tickets.

I did that trip the first time I went. If you are bang in to Football I would try and stay in BA for 2 weekends so arrive on say a Friday and leave the Monday 10 days later, try do it when Copa Lib/Sud are on as well so you get midweek matches. Did go to Montevideo for the day by ferry which was alright. Flew up to Igassu Falls and had 2 nights there, an afternoon in Ciudad Del Este in Paraguay was an eye opener, proper bandit country - wish I had stayed a night there and had a drink. Then got bus to Rio and had a weekend there.

Guess it all depends if you want to see as much Football as possible. 10 days BA and then straight to Rio for a week would be a great trip with loads of Football in it for starters, so much else to see as well - you'll never get bored.

When I went to see Boca play Union 2 years ago I used Homefans:

Your hotel/hostel could probably source you tickets, but they will probably be about the same price. Always worth checking, though.

I spent a month in BA, but I could have spent a week there and had a great time or stayed longer as there was still plenty I wanted to do.

We had 9 nights including 1 in Montevideo, you will be shocked how big BA is ( think twice size London) and we never needed to leave city could of stayed another couple weeks and filled our time.
The only touristy sites we saw was whilst passing in taxis, it was pretty much all football and great food.
We knew which weekend the games on but actual days we didn't until around a week before. We were given tickets for Hurucan vs River Plate game by a local, Independiente you can buy at tennis centre near stadium before game. San Lorenzo was with locals who sorted tickets. The smaller teams Platense etc you can get at stadium before game. We always needed ID and driving licence was fine. The Boca game we used Airbnb, there's plenty of different guides to choose from on there but was given one from poster on here 'Charing' whose advice was great before we went.
Also did tour or River Plate and Argentino Juniors stadiums, Maradonas first team and his boyhood house set up as museum nearby.

We had 9 nights including 1 in Montevideo, you will be shocked how big BA is ( think twice size London) and we never needed to leave city could of stayed another couple weeks and filled our time.
The only touristy sites we saw was whilst passing in taxis, it was pretty much all football and great food.
We knew which weekend the games on but actual days we didn't until around a week before. We were given tickets for Hurucan vs River Plate game by a local, Independiente you can buy at tennis centre near stadium before game. San Lorenzo was with locals who sorted tickets. The smaller teams Platense etc you can get at stadium before game. We always needed ID and driving licence was fine. The Boca game we used Airbnb, there's plenty of different guides to choose from on there but was given one from poster on here 'Charing' whose advice was great before we went.
Also did tour or River Plate and Argentino Juniors stadiums, Maradonas first team and his boyhood house set up as museum nearby.

Which was the best one you did? HomeFans did Argentino Juniors as a virtual tour during covid which I did, loads of history - can't remember if it was there or Estudiantes where the pich was incredibly close to the first row of the side stand.

Which was the best one you did? HomeFans did Argentino Juniors as a virtual tour during covid which I did, loads of history - can't remember if it was there or Estudiantes where the pich was incredibly close to the first row of the side stand.
River Plate tour was the best, museum before, good guides. Was told the only ones with official tours were them two. Seemingly Boca are in the process of updating tour/museum, some clubs Velez Sarsfield for one you have to be member to get a tour. Most of grounds we went to the touchline are really close to stands.

River Plate tour was the best, museum before, good guides. Was told the only ones with official tours were them two. Seemingly Boca are in the process of updating tour/museum, some clubs Velez Sarsfield for one you have to be member to get a tour. Most of grounds we went to the touchline are really close to stands.

I was meaning matches to be honest mate on the atmosphere front. River was only in Spanish when did that so was a bit of a let down. The HomeFans ones during covid were really good, a good guide makes a massive difference and many were real historians of the Club.

I was meaning matches to be honest mate on the atmosphere front. River was only in Spanish when did that so was a bit of a let down. The HomeFans ones during covid were really good, a good guide makes a massive difference and many were real historians of the Club.
Boca vs San Lorenzo was amazing, the streets outside, build up( in ground hour before to get spot), when atmosphere going the best. San Lorenzo vs Palmeras was nearly as loud and their fans never stopped all game.

Derailing slightly as not about the derby but 7 of us did 10 days in BA in November. Huge debt of gratitude to @BrooklynBlue and @drgriffen for their help. Managed 4 games incl Arg v Uruguay WC Qual at Bombonera (should have been Monumental but River got more money renting out to Taylor Swift so told AFA to do one! Only in Argentina :))). 100% Bucket List but all have serious bug for going back! Best bits of advice would be -
(a) Don’t be put off by flight prices as it’s cheap as chips when there.
(b) Especially for big teams/games use Homefans. Yes they ain’t cheap but guaranteed tickets and guides are priceless.
(c) When in BA use Uber. BA is MASSIVE! Uber is again cheap as chips.
(d) GO! It’s an amazing experience.

Did Argentinos v Velez, Lanus v Racing (true lions of 67!), Boca v Newells and Arg v Uru. Just …. phenomenal! Still in touch with a couple of the Homefans organisers/guides (for possible return!). Wee bit cheaper dealing direct but they are worth it as it really helps the experience.

First one I went to was 1992 or 1993. The last one was 2018

See that in the 90s must have been amazing, would like to hear more - especially when you’ve been to 6 of them.

I have to ask, if you are 39 now - how did you end up going to a match like that at 7/8?

Last edited:
Derailing slightly as not about the derby but 7 of us did 10 days in BA in November. Huge debt of gratitude to @BrooklynBlue and @drgriffen for their help. Managed 4 games incl Arg v Uruguay WC Qual at Bombonera (should have been Monumental but River got more money renting out to Taylor Swift so told AFA to do one! Only in Argentina :))). 100% Bucket List but all have serious bug for going back! Best bits of advice would be -
(b) Especially for big teams/games use Homefans. Yes they ain’t cheap but guaranteed tickets and guides are priceless.

Did Argentinos v Velez, Lanus v Racing (true lions of 67!), Boca v Newells and Arg v Uru. Just …. phenomenal! Still in touch with a couple of the Homefans organisers/guides (for possible return!). Wee bit cheaper dealing direct but they are worth it as it really helps the experience.

What did you pay for a flight? I’ve looked a few times the last few years and I’ve the impression £1300 is about standard.

The Old Firm doesn’t come anywhere near the River v Boca game. There is no comparison in terms of noise, passion, colour and overall spectacle and sense of occassion.

The OF is like a garden tea party when you compare the two. The OF is massively over hyped in Scotland.

'Mon the River Plate!
That’s not what Amato said
He played in both and said they were pretty much on a par
Granted that was when away fans were allowed in

Also watched a game last year (River plate at home) and it’s a bit like you see the best bits on clips on videos etc long periods of not very much

What did you pay for a flight? I’ve looked a few times the last few years and I’ve the impression £1300 is about standard.
We paid about £11/1200 (eventually). As we were flying out on the Friday (day after Sparta home EL game) we used Air France. 6am from Edi to CDG and then morning flight to BA. Meant we got there on Friday night and were good to go on the Saturday where we did Argentinos and Lanus games (was tight and with a high speed taxi)! Was only route we found that got us there same day and was ideal for us.

See that in the 90s must have been amazing, would like to hear more - especially when you’ve been to 6 of them.

I have to ask, if you are 39 now - how did you end up going to a match like that at 7/8?
I'm not 39, my son setup this account for me. What would you like to know?

Its not cheap anymore. Due to the new president the prices have risen by a substantial amount.
Argentiniasn are now coming to chile for shopping.

Its not cheap anymore. Due to the new president the prices have risen by a substantial amount.
Argentiniasn are now coming to chile for shopping.
We were getting A$850 to the USD at exchanges and A$950 to the £ when using cards. It was mad how cheap it was. New President got voted in on our last night. We had BA to ourselves as folk were staying off the streets due to expected trouble. Didn’t see any mind you.
Did a couple of days up at Iguazu Falls and it was Brazilians coming in to Argentina for shopping and fuel as it was cheaper.

Last edited:
We were getting A$850 to the USD at exchanges and A$950 to the £ when using cards. It was mad how cheap it was. New President got voted in on our last night. We had BA to ourselves as folk were staying off the streets due to expected trouble. Didn’t see any mind you.
Did a couple of days up at Iguazu Falls and it was Brazilians coming in to Argentina for shopping and fuel as it was cheaper.
I was there in January and the prices have rocketed, Chileans always went there for shopping now they are coming here.
You have visited a beautiful part of the world, Brazil is another amazing country

I didn’t think you must be.

Just how it all was really pal, must have been an amazing experience at that part of time. Players, fans etc…
Sorry Pal I have just seen this to reply. I remember one of the early ones I was shitting myself as the poilce were wading in and hitting people without any reason other than to get the fans to attack them back so they could hit them even more! From the early ones I went to I remember thinking to myself these Crespo and Artega lads are going to go far in the game. The last one I went to was here in Madrid in 2018. I can't really explain the atmosphere as it was pretty weird. One my mates who is a season ticket holder at Real got me a ticket and we went along. The security checks were more stringent than I was used to. Seeing fans at either end whilst most of the middle was neutral was strange. The standout for me in that match was Palacios. Everyone was talking about a young stiker on the bench called Alvarez who could be the next Batigol. The craziest thing for me that day wasn't seeing Tevez come off the bench it was seeing Fernando Gago come on. I used to love watching him play for Madrid and think if the injuries hadn't have gotten the better of him his career (not that he had a bad one) could have been special and by that point I thought he had long retired

Sorry Pal I have just seen this to reply. I remember one of the early ones I was shitting myself as the poilce were wading in and hitting people without any reason other than to get the fans to attack them back so they could hit them even more! From the early ones I went to I remember thinking to myself these Crespo and Artega lads are going to go far in the game. The last one I went to was here in Madrid in 2018. I can't really explain the atmosphere as it was pretty weird. One my mates who is a season ticket holder at Real got me a ticket and we went along. The security checks were more stringent than I was used to. Seeing fans at either end whilst most of the middle was neutral was strange. The standout for me in that match was Palacios. Everyone was talking about a young stiker on the bench called Alvarez who could be the next Batigol. The craziest thing for me that day wasn't seeing Tevez come off the bench it was seeing Fernando Gago come on. I used to love watching him play for Madrid and think if the injuries hadn't have gotten the better of him his career (not that he had a bad one) could have been special and by that point I thought he had long retired

Those ones back in the day will have been another level I bet, different times. I went to that one in Madrid myself and remember the security, was quite a few trying to get through the Police lines without tickets. I will never forget being in a bar off Sol before the match and a group of Argies coming in who were massive and looked rough as hell!

Back