The Clement Honeymoon is Over

ludicrous thread. I always thought it would be a miracle if Clement could squeeze a championship out of this team, he has done all he can with the players at his disposal. If we beat Dundee, and it's a big if, we will be a point behind Celtic and then it's in our players hands. They played yesterday as if they didn't want to win the league, so we'll see. If you had told me when Beale left that we'd still have a chance at this stage of the season, I'd have thought you were mad.

But Follow Follow favourite , Mick Beale, wanted them out and gave us Dessers and Lammers
Hahaha remember when rent a gob Beale saying we would all be very happy with the strikers
Only be happy when dessers and lammers are off our wage bill
At least lammers went out quickly to play

Was talking to a mate last night who is one of them and he said that to me.

Said Celtic have regressed and our team of the past 2/3 seasons would have had league sewn up by now.

Untill we can start beating them in games that matter things won't change imo
I said to my da during the week if he can't beat the tinks once in a season do we really deserve to win the league
I.know its a marathon and not a sprint but they were there for the taking

What can Clement do when his captain lacks the awareness to be concerned about an opponent he's faced several times and who has been difficult for him to gift Celtic a goal after 30 seconds?
Or when his vice captain jumps for a ball with his body shape in a chicken tonight dance to gift a penalty?
What can he do when his players stand and watch Celtic score immediately after we equalise?

He asks them to up their intensity against County at half time and they do the opposite

I don't know how he's managed to do as well as he has with this squad but he can't have these players starting next season. He won't last if he does.

Yes, he's at fault as well, especially for trusting certain players but some supporters really, seriously need to get over the creepy hero worship of players who can't perform against Celtic or cope with a trip to bloody Dingwall when there's a title to win

Drop them or as he puts it rotate them

No offence Pep but trying to come across as a better manager then Clement is deluded in the extreme

You probably couldn't manage a subutteo team
Wasn’t my intention as you already know but you and caveman keep saying it and maybe it might come true.

I worry about our lack of control in a match when we're in the lead. We take needless risks with how high the players are & taking risky passes, when we should be slowing the game down.

Clement has to address this.

I said to my da during the week if he can't beat the tinks once in a season do we really deserve to win the league

If Gio had beat them at Ibrox April 22 then we would have won league as we only finnished 5 behind we also drew at Piggery when Sakala missed chance at end that was difference in winning league. Granted Gio won cup semi at hampden with a great performance and brave set up, but the 2 pumpings at piggery finnished him.

Gio won lots of massive games outwith that USG, PSV, Red Star, Dortmund, Braga, Liepzig etc but defeats to them and the manner of it to them killed him.

Beale had 2 cracks at them in cup and lost if he had won cup final things might have turned out more favourable for him, also lost at Parkhead 3/2 when a win put us back in the race, fair enough beat them in a dead rubber, but start this season he had a great chance to buy himself some time and we put in a shocking performance against the weakest celtic line up at Ibrox we ate likely to see for a few years.

We start beating them in big games when it matters it al changes, if we do play them twice and lose Clements gonna be under massive P going into first old firm games next season.

The team selection wouldn't have made a difference ,people are also getting a bit carried away with sterling
Dowell is the only other dodgy starter yet last week alot of this board wanted him starting
The team selection is why we lost the game at the end of the day.

Barisic starting when its clear he has checked out and signed with another club

Goldson starting when he has made mistakes multiple games in a row and looks miles out of form

Dowell starting in a position he can't play after a poor sub appearance in the last game

Silva starting after another poor performance when we have a winger on the bench who can score

If nearly half the outfield selections are questionable and we lose the game then its fair to say the starting 11 chosen was major factor in why we dropped points.

One defeat and the sack the Leagues Over crew are out in force. It wasn't over in October when you all thought it would was, it certainly isn't now

The self pro claimed spokesman, thanks for your wisdom
I'm not a spokesman at all and havent ever claimed to be. I know I have not got the experience that our manager has and wouldn't dare try and offer him advice but, I hope in your chat with Clement that he takes your advice well when you put him right where he has gone wrong.

Best of luck for your future managerial career... Have a good day

Clement also has something else that Beale and GVB didn’t have. A track record of winning league titles at Genk and Club Brugge and a decent record in Ligue 1 with Monaco. GVB had won a league in Holland but it had fallen apart and Beale had 12 games at QPR.

If things go south under Clement (I don’t think they will actually) then maybe it’s time to look beyond sack the manager to understand why and correct it.
Think most of us know its not the manager,it's the losers on the park but its the managers job to get rid of them.

Like many on here have said, if he starts to trust these guys too much and isn't allowed to improve this squad. Then these players will get his the sack as when the pressure mounts they crumble!!

I honestly dont think Clement will want to stick around when this season ends badly. You can see already he is sick to death of the backwater scottish football is so why would he want to stick around when he could go manage another club in a Serious league.
He was out of work when he came to us he didn’t exactly have loads of options , he has also stated numerous times he loves it here the city the passion the scenery etc he will be here for next season and beyond .

There was a thread after the Hearts game claiming we were a really good side. Bonkers. A two month purple patch does not a good side make.

There are also plenty of posters today fully confident that all he needs to do is get rid of the problem players and get his own team and all will be hunky dory. That’s just blind faith. Firstly that we’ll have the funds to do that, secondly that he will want to do that, and thirdly that any new players he will bring in will be an improvement.

If you bring in defenders who can actually defend first and foremost, that's improvement.

We're talking about Clement's honeymoon period, but what about Tav, Goldson, Barisic, Lundstram, etc?

Their honeymoon period ended years ago yet they're all still here. We seem to be OK with spending millions and firing the coaching staff but keeping the players because it costs too much to tear up their contracts

The gaffer has made substantially more good decisions than bad, sure he has made a couple of selections that I didn't get, the experiment of starting Scott Wright, the lack of rotation of the spine of the team, Tav. Lunny & Goldson have played too much and they look knackered, they are a yard off it.

Injuries have not helped, Ridvan was doing well and his loss appears to have unbalanced things more than expected. Borna has moved on mentally, shows no appetite whatsoever. Sterling has been a star but he too has suffered from injuries. I would have him in the midfield all day long, not at left back.

If we based everything on yesterday's "performance" then no-one would be kept, but it doesn't work that way. I am more pissed about the attitude shown yesterday, only Cantwell tried to be positive. That's 100% on the players.

Don't expect a raft of changes against Dundee.

No chance I have trust in clement. What a job he's done with a bunch of shitebags who have time and time again shat it big time.

Once we get rid of tav, Goldson, especially out our club we will sew success.

All this pish about when tav goes we'll see how much we missed him? What? Miss being runners up to mediocre bheast teams and 2 from the bottom teams.

Honestly feel some folk have more support for Tav that they do the club.

He's not even really started yet let alone the honeymoon being over.

I don't think at all his remit was to come in this season and challenge for the title or progress in Europe, he managed to do both and win a trophy and even now we are in the hunt for two more, after the split, with a massive game on Wednesday and Saturday - much better than I could anticipate when Beale was punted.

He was out of work when he came to us he didn’t exactly have loads of options , he has also stated numerous times he loves it here the city the passion the scenery etc he will be here for next season and beyond .
He had a mega money deal in Saudi which he turned down as he wanted this job

Beales failures failing doesn’t make Clement a poor manager. The mere fact he has these losers even competing for the treble is an achievement

Lundstrum should be gone along with Goldson and Taverner we have lost to many important games because of these three if we keep them we will won nothing next season.
I'm not disagreeing...I'm making a prediction on how the manager might view his golden boys.

At what point do we stop blaming and sacking managers and have a proper clear out of the senior players who continually wilt, lose confidence and start going through the motions season after season??
I’m not solely blaming the manager and I absolutely agree with your point. My view though is that we’ve dropped points in games where we shouldn’t be, team selections have been questionable at best and Clement now has to actually do what everyone knows is necessary - get rid of the old guard.

If he doesn’t, we know what happens.

The only reason we are even in a title race is the manager. For me, he has credit in the bank.
And that’s fair enough - but he has 1 point from 6 against them, has dropped points against a woeful Ross county team from a winning position no less.

He needs to take some serious actions in this squad and then he’ll be judged.

Rubbish, it was team selections and he's making an ass of it
Load of nonsense. It’s more about being stuck with a core group of players who just don’t have the bottle to win things and win them often. Some of these players have played under 4 or 5 different managers and the outcome is usually always the same. The players are the common denominator.

I'm not a spokesman at all and havent ever claimed to be. I know I have not got the experience that our manager has and wouldn't dare try and offer him advice but, I hope in your chat with Clement that he takes your advice well when you put him right where he has gone wrong.

Best of luck for your future managerial career... Have a good day
Yeah ok, you don’t sound like it at all. It’s funny that the thing your accusing me of, is the exact behaviour your displaying. We all have opinions and I will never stop giving mine, especially when asked

The gaffer has made substantially more good decisions than bad, sure he has made a couple of selections that I didn't get, the experiment of starting Scott Wright, the lack of rotation of the spine of the team, Tav. Lunny & Goldson have played too much and they look knackered, they are a yard off it.

Injuries have not helped, Ridvan was doing well and his loss appears to have unbalanced things more than expected. Borna has moved on mentally, shows no appetite whatsoever. Sterling has been a star but he too has suffered from injuries. I would have him in the midfield all day long, not at left back.

If we based everything on yesterday's "performance" then no-one would be kept, but it doesn't work that way. I am more pissed about the attitude shown yesterday, only Cantwell tried to be positive. That's 100% on the players.

Don't expect a raft of changes against Dundee.

On the LB issue, why can’t Balogun or even Davies fill in temporarily?

Instead, we remove the only athleticism from our midfield and end up trying things like Scott Wright & Dowell.

Midfield is where games are won/controlled and we consistently leave ourselves open and easy to play through.

2 wins in 7 games. Conceding comical goals. Sending the team out with no obvious game plan and persisting with the same bottle merchants game in game out.

We’ve thrown this away and the manager has to take his share of the blame.
Are you including the 2 games against Benfica in that stat?

Yeah ok, you don’t sound like it at all. It’s funny that the thing your accusing me of, is the exact behaviour your displaying. We all have opinions and I will never stop giving mine, especially when asked
I've only offered you good luck in your future managerial career & never once said I knew more than Clement or ever offered him advice on where he has gone wrong. I wouldn't dare do that as he knows more about the team than I do.

As we are going around in circles and this is derailing this thread, its probably best we leave it here now. Good Luck and have a good day Albertz78

well tell your "Da" that if we win the league then we will deserve to win it, no matter the results against them

well tell your "Da" that if we win the league then we will deserve to win it, no matter the results against them

He’s right though, if they beat us at piggery then there’s been a 20 point swing in a league we may lose by about 3 points

Not beating them hasn’t only stopped us winning the league but also means we can hardly have any complaints

If Phil starts next season with Goldson in CD then he deserves what he gets.

The usual suspects have seen off a good few managers now

We can't be going through manager after manager jeez we'll be worse than the sheep,anyone can see this lot need cleared out I'm keeping my judgment till Clement gets his own stamp on the team,get shot of the bottlers and serial losers.

There needs to be a bit of realism about what a manager can actually do to fix things.

People have an over inflated sense of what the young players in the squad will be able to do and also have no sense of who is fully fit or carrying a knock or just flat out seems like they don't want to play.

There is no way a responsible football manager drops Tav, Goldson, Barisic or Lundstram out of the team. No way. Same up front with Dessers.

The only way these guys are gone is when the club finally sells them or buys their replacements. Even if they got PC the sack a new manager would also have no choice but to pick them.

The season was a write off in August with Beale's shocking signings and style of play. We were so far behind in October that it's kind of incredible that we could find ourselves going into the split just a point behind.

You can't just rip it up and throw all the guys we are not good enough for the starting 11 into the team and watch things fall apart in even more spectacular fashion.

I think there's an argument to be made for not brining in a new manager halfway through a season as it causes the fans to judge the guy based on trying to salvage a situation that was not of his making.

Our scouting has been terrible for 3 seasons now. Thats why we find ourselves where we are.

I think you could find plenty of people to blame for this season before Clement.

We can't be going through manager after manager jeez we'll be worse than the sheep,anyone can see this lot need cleared out I'm keeping my judgment till Clement gets his own stamp on the team,get shot of the bottlers and serial losers.

It’s going to be a one tough ask next season for PC.

Income for Europe this season will be reduced on recent seasons and player sales will be down massively as well. Plus we’ve already committed £4m to Diomande and possibly the same to Cortés.

OOC players will give us a fair amount of wages to play with but we’d need to do exceptional business in the Bosman market for that to bridge the gap,

Instead, we remove the only athleticism from our midfield and end up trying things like Scott Wright & Dowell.

Midfield is where games are won/controlled and we consistently leave ourselves open and easy to play through.
Yeah, then when we do play one of those two at LB - and have a disaster class like yesterday - every c*nt will be on here asking WTF is Clement doing playing one of them at LB when we have a fit LB available.

There's another thread asking folk what the team should be against Dundee. Three pages of it so far and barely two suggested lineups the same. Can't please all of the folk all of the time. Right enough.

Too much made of team selection yesterday. Any random 11 picked from that Rangers matchday squad should have been capable of going out and beating Ross County. We didn't perform, not at all, and IMHO County fully deserved their win.

Last edited:
Folk love to throw stupid terms like bottle about. Reality is Clement has been getting his starting selection wrong for weeks. He's made some truly bizarre decisions. Why on earth is Dowell getting thrown into that yesterday? I actually think he's a decent player but he's been out for what seems like 6 months and is clearly missing match sharpness. Meanwhile, Sterling is sitting on the bench. Just crazy stuff.

It’s going to be a one tough ask next season for PC.

Income for Europe this season will be reduced on recent seasons and player sales will be down massively as well. Plus we’ve already committed £4m to Diomande and possibly the same to Cortés.

OOC players will give us a fair amount of wages to play with but we’d need to do exceptional business in the Bosman market for that to bridge the gap,
Not sure why you're so sure of that.

Even if we do finish 2nd and fail in the Champions League qualifiers, the Europa League money is going up, there's two extra matches than the current format so extra ticket money and more chances to earn performance bonuses and only 12 clubs out of 36 are eliminated after the league phase so we would have to be dreadful to not qualify for the knockout stage.

I've only offered you good luck in your future managerial career & never once said I knew more than Clement or ever offered him advice on where he has gone wrong. I wouldn't dare do that as he knows more about the team than I do.

As we are going around in circles and this is derailing this thread, its probably best we leave it here now. Good Luck and have a good day Albertz78
Neither did I say I knew more than PC but it didn’t stop you accusing me of that very thing.

It’s all about opinions and we are probably just so filled with rage we are looking for answers and someone to blame.

Enjoy your week.

Neither did I say I knew more than PC but it didn’t stop you accusing me of that very thing.

It’s all about opinions and we are probably just so filled with rage we are looking for answers and someone to blame.

Enjoy your week.
Mate, I was joking with you hence, why I was polite to you. The jokes over now and no doubt we are boring others on the thread. This is a message board and of course folk can give opinions, its the point of the forum but, tbh, you did slightly come across Ted Lasso ( Joke, joke! )

This was all yesterday's convo and now we move on and all together look forward to Wed and Dundee..

If Clement goes into next season with Goldson and/or Tavernier in the defence, he might as well hand in his resignation there and then because they will get him fired.

They get everyone fired.

The "exception" to the "Tav & Goldson get you fired because of their Clown-tier defending" rule is Gerrard, and to be honest they would have got him fired if a global pandemic didn't end the season after losing to Hamilton at home and getting bombed out of Europe by a poor Leverkusen side.

And that’s fair enough - but he has 1 point from 6 against them, has dropped points against a woeful Ross county team from a winning position no less.

He needs to take some serious actions in this squad and then he’ll be judged.
Yer right. Because no Rangers manager ever has dropped points before. In fact, every Rangers manager before Clement has a perfect record.

We dropped points, it hurts, but this burn them all attitude is depressing.

Look at the EPL. Both Liverpool and Arsenal dropped points at a critical point in the season. It's called football, and, as much as it hurts, Rangers aren't immune from it.

that's my point BB, everything of late is a compromise. The only natural left-footer is Ben Davies can you imagine being in the managers position Borna or Davis, its not easy.

Back