The Financial Times Weekend supplement laments the death of the English footballing hardman

It’s too risky to just take someone out now - pretty much a guaranteed red. Does my head in when people post that our players should go in and leave one on Celtic players when we would just end up with 10 men. Shame, as it was a joy to watch them getting leathered.

The head high 'challenge' by David Webb on Billy Bremner in that Chelsea v. Leeds Final replay should have resulted in jail time let alone a red card. 43 secs in .
Leeds got as good as they gave in that game which was nice to see. Especially that dirty wee mentally challenged lady's front bottom Bremner.

It’s too risky to just take someone out now - pretty much a guaranteed red. Does my head in when people post that our players should go in and leave one on Celtic players when we would just end up with 10 men. Shame, as it was a joy to watch them getting leathered.
Last one I remember was David Healy taking out Forrest on the touchline.

But yeah there’s no leeway anymore. Thomson was the last player who could toe the line - took an early hard yellow then could still finish the game (most times)

While I'm as frustrated as anyone at the play-acting we see all too often these days (Silva, take note!), I don't miss the likes of Norman Hunter, Rob Harris et al who didn't have an ounce of skill and were determined to stop those who did by any means, regardless of legality or danger of severe injury. There were plenty of good skilful defenders who never resorted to kicking anything above grass height - Bobby Moore and Tom Forsyth - and we saw the fascinating spectacle of skilful attackers and respectful and fair defenders taking them on.

I still want, every OF game, one of our players from kick off to two foot Mcgregor instantly. We lose a man, but he makes them tick and would be out of a few games.
Risk / reward.

Plus , hes a wee jump the dyke bastard.

Back