The genius and legend that was Walter Smith

LoyalRanger_72

On the way back from the game today and I was having a brilliant conversation with my son who’s 13 now about Walter. My son has only saw us win 3 domestic trophies in his whole life so far and also saw a European run to Seville 2 years ago now. He was asking me how good was it living through the times of Walter in charge at Rangers in both spells? Not only was it an absolute joy and I felt incredibly fortunate to be able to witness some of the stuff we did under him, talking about the legend just makes me miss the days of him even more and miss him in general, no one epitomised this club more in my life at least than him.

9 in a row, making the scum our play thing, winning on penalties away to Fiorentina to get to the UEFA Cup Final in 2008, the St Mirren 9 men final, his last game where we hammered Kilmarnock and beat Celtic to the title in the most bitterly contested title I think ever where The Lurgan Bigot and Celtic were stooping the game to their pathetic level.

That man gave me the best times of my life and worst hangovers ever but they were worth it and I’ll be forever grateful. The sooner the club have his statue up at the stadium, the better.

Taken for granted the first time.

Thankfully the supporters were able to show our true depth of appreciation the second time round.
Thank fuuck FF wasn’t in existence first time round.

I’ve been on here long enough to remember the explosion when the “dinosaur” came back second time round.

Quite a few tails between their legs thereafter.

Halcyon days. Sadly we'll probably never see such a successful period of constant success ever again.

Back