The Negative Impact of our supporters .

Grumpy Old Git

Basically IMO our supporters are having a negative impact on our team performance going into a crucial stage of the season.
We have Barisic and Butland involved in verbals with supporters when they were doing supporters a favour by signing stuff.
Add in Silva giving some back after scoring a goal presumably to criticism from some supporters.
The thread is not designed to engage in the reasons behind the criticism the players are receiving.

However it is for people to consider the negative impact that criticism is having on our players with 4 games to go which could possibly end up in winning a treble.
It may be unlikely but still possible:
You would want our players to be in a positive frame of mind but undoubtedly our players are on edge even our player of the year Butland.

In summary we should be collectively behind the players be loyal and be a positive force to try and bring success.
It would be naive to believe the players are not aware of what is happening on Social media and I have to say some of the comments on here about players are toxic and cogently negatively impacting the squad IMO.
I’m sure many on here will say they need to man up and it’s part of being a Ranger and while there is some truth in that players are human and surely we should be behind the team especially when going for the treble:

I remember the Ally Ally GTF days but this essentially was when the team were languishing in mediocrity and not as we are now chasing success.
A grip on reality and positive support from now to the end of the season would be nice.
Consider the harm you are doing to the club you profess to love and support.

Completely agree, this isn't about saying the players can't be criticised, but the venom people think they feel justified in having as they shout at players is quite frankly disgusting.

Because players get paid alot of money & you pay your money for a ticket, it doesn't give you carte blanche to be a c*nt. Or at least it doesn't if you're actually a fan.

This season the negative feeling has been as bad as I can remember.

We are in a great position where if we win 4 games can win a treble.

Problem is 2 of them games are against celtic and we can't seem to beat them when it matters.

My feelings is that cos we can't beat them the fans have lost belief and turned on a lot of the players.

The fans have shown 5/6 years of patience with some of them, no surprise at some point fans are going to expect the worse from them, which they produced at Ross County , Dundee and Motherwell at home when they had a title in hand.

You can't expect positivity when players continually let the fans down.

At times we are actually the opposite of what the OP says, we bump up players and are too positive on them only to be let down when the going gets tough.

If it wasn’t Groundhog Day season after season. When Gio came in it created a winning team then they succumb to this normality of shitting the bed when they need to step up. Same old this time, enough is enough.
The negativity is borne out of this in my opinion and it is deserved. Some players need to leave, it’s as simple as that. This players won’t win this league, even if it somehow got to the last game of the season with them just needing a draw they don’t have it in them to get that draw.

Said this since we were allowed back in the stadiums.

Every result or poor performance fans want a “ rebuild”

Last season the patter about Kent and Alfie “ chucking it “ every 5 minutes

Tav and Goldson blamed for absolutely everything ( 0 0 draw away at Dundee and folk moaning about the defence)

Listening to folk in the stadium slaughter Rangers players during a game against Celtic and not even try get behind them.

Launstorm getting it stinking because hes a holding midfielder and every team has 1.

I have noticed in last few weeks a lot of fans even online have had enough of listening to the negative shite online and obviously the players have as well.

If you could make same money elsewhere I think players might choose to do so if this abuse and negativity continues.

Here we go again with this shite. It's funny how the fans never got any criticism when we were on a good run.

Season tickets sell out every year. Every single away game, domestically and abroad, is a sell out. Just about every home game is a sell out. The players get plenty of backing and then some. Time for the club and the team to start producing on the pitch.

This season the negative feeling has been as bad as I can remember.

We are in a great position where if we win 4 games can win a treble.

Problem is 2 of them games are against celtic and we can't seem to beat them when it matters.

My feelings is that cos we can't beat them the fans have lost belief and turned on a lot of the players.
Aye, but we'd need a helping hand along the way, which you seem to have missed.

This will be a tasty thread.

Whilst I agree the mindless abuse is out of order, recently I’ve been very reluctant to come down on fans too hard.

People seem to forget that it’s the fans that sacrifice the most, financially and otherwise. We kept the club afloat during the bad years and during COVID. There has been a season ticket waiting list for years despite relatively little domestic success. We bought into the everything from everyone that PC championed, turned up in numbers to Dingwall and Dundee and were rewarded with two calamitous performances from the team. And it’s not the first season in recent times that has happened.

Again I’m not condoning abuse of any Rangers player, but in terms of the general feeling of the support sometimes - most of the time it’s justified.

There's a difference between criticising players performance " borna cmon get your head in the game , borna your having a shocker etc etc " and verbally personally attacking players " borna your a fcuking this and that gtf", I agree this season the balance has shifted to the latter and as a season ticket holder for 10+ years this seasons up there with the worst it's been.

Every support has it's section of bangers. We're no different. You'll get those two entitled halfwits arguing with Borna and Butland at every club at every ground up and down the country. It's not exclusive to us.

The support just don't trust or believe in this squad. Not ideal but frankly not surprising either.

I'll say this, if we never had a manager like Clement who somehow held the club together for as long as he did then the dam would've burst a lot earlier this season. He's the only guy at Ibrox even displaying a modicum of leadership and fight right now.

The support are negative for a reason.

The team themselves must know this.

To watch them drag themselves to the cusp of glory, only to see them inexplicably hand the initiative back to the scum has a lot of folk understandably pissed off.

Only the players have the capacity to redeem themselves and get the support back on side. They do that by offering up a colossal performance on Saturday that the scum never saw coming.

The fans have shown 5/6 years of patience with some of them, no surprise at some point fans are going to expect the worse from them, which they produced at Ross County , Dundee and Motherwell at home when they had a title in hand.

You can't expect positivity when players continually let the fans down.

At times we are actually the opposite of what the OP says, we bump up players and are too positive on them only to be let down when the going gets tough.
Or 5 or 6 games with some of them (see Dessers being jeered off the park)

Our fans go on about "Rangers class" when it comes to players, they should turn that mirror on themselves. No one is asking for happy clapping, but just because you pay some money to go to a game doesn't give you the right to be a dickhead either. The emotive nature of football will always lead to stuff like this of course, the lack of brain power in some folk as well adds fuel to the fire.

I always say it though, the most vociferous and lets face it hate filled people who are sticking the boot in to players this season will also be the same ones who are putting them on a pedestal with the greats whenever we are successful as well. Rangers fans are no different to any other football fans, we like to think we are special in some way, but we aren't.

Basically IMO our supporters are having a negative impact on our team performance going into a crucial stage of the season.
We have Barisic and Butland involved in verbals with supporters when they were doing supporters a favour by signing stuff.
Add in Silva giving some back after scoring a goal presumably to criticism from some supporters.
The thread is not designed to engage in the reasons behind the criticism the players are receiving.

However it is for people to consider the negative impact that criticism is having on our players with 4 games to go which could possibly end up in winning a treble.
It may be unlikely but still possible:
You would want our players to be in a positive frame of mind but undoubtedly our players are on edge even our player of the year Butland.

In summary we should be collectively behind the players be loyal and be a positive force to try and bring success.
It would be naive to believe the players are not aware of what is happening on Social media and I have to say some of the comments on here about players are toxic and cogently negatively impacting the squad IMO.
I’m sure many on here will say they need to man up and it’s part of being a Ranger and while there is some truth in that players are human and surely we should be behind the team especially when going for the treble:

I remember the Ally Ally GTF days but this essentially was when the team were languishing in mediocrity and not as we are now chasing success.
A grip on reality and positive support from now to the end of the season would be nice.
Consider the harm you are doing to the club you profess to love and support.
“I remember the Ally Ally GTF days but this essentially was when the team were languishing in mediocrity and not as we are now chasing success.“

So it was fine when we were “languishing in mediocrity”? For the record, the “Ally, Ally GTF” days were when we were trying to get our third straight promotion to get back to where we belong after having everything taken from us … which was equally, if not more important.

And as for languishing in mediocrity, one title in 9 years (as things stand) since returning to the top flight is pretty much as mediocre as it gets by Rangers standards.

I’m not saying abusing players is fine, far from it, but your post above is all over the place and contradicts itself several times over.

Totally agree that the fans can influence a game negatively, and being booed off at half time or seeing the stands empty out at 75 minutes can’t be inspiring. That being said, I don’t think negative fan behaviour leads to Goldson not being able to win a ball in the air after a high bounce, or makes Borna constantly cross from deep regardless of the context in the game; or make Lundstrum pass the ball sideways. Some fans need to make more effort, and so do some players.

You can tell there is no belief.

Ibrox was flat as %^*& on Sunday.
It's been flat as %^*& all season mate, with a few sporadic outbreaks of good backing.
I thought being away more games would have helped us but we blew the 2 "easy" ones and have totally fucked this challenge unless we miraculously pull off a win at the weekend.
Backing or not, this team are pretty spineless under pressure.

Or 5 or 6 games with some of them (see Dessers being jeered off the park)

Our fans go on about "Rangers class" when it comes to players, they should turn that mirror on themselves. No one is asking for happy clapping, but just because you pay some money to go to a game doesn't give you the right to be a dickhead either. The emotive nature of football will always lead to stuff like this of course, the lack of brain power in some folk as well adds fuel to the fire.

I always say it though, the most vociferous and lets face it hate filled people who are sticking the boot in to players this season will also be the same ones who are putting them on a pedestal with the greats whenever we are successful as well. Rangers fans are no different to any other football fans, we like to think we are special in some way, but we aren't.

Agree re the amount of time given to new players, though that is a completely different conversation and it was indicative more of the fans frustration with the management at the time, the same player has been well supported since.

Plenty of fans, myself included, have said even if we win the treble, we need to get rid of some of the same players who let us down time and time again.

We are a demanding support, but with that comes the backing like no other fan base if the players produce, I would rather we were demanding than accepting 2nd best.

Every support has it's section of bangers. We're no different. You'll get those two entitled halfwits arguing with Borna and Butland at every club at every ground up and down the country. It's not exclusive to us.

The support just don't trust or believe in this squad. Not ideal but frankly not surprising either.

I'll say this, if we never had a manager like Clement who somehow held the club together for as long as he did then the dam would've burst a lot earlier this season. He's the only guy at Ibrox even displaying a modicum of leadership and fight right now.
very good post , what I would say though is although every club has entitled fans , not every club has the toxicity and uneasy/ nervous impact that has on the atmosphere which must transcend onto the pitch ( caveat that with this squad hasn't helped itself with a series of poor performances and they need moved on some summer)

Prime example

Man united - fans like us are desperate for success which looks unlikely and have lost faith in majority of their squad, old Trafford is the worst atmosphere in the EPL and no surprise their team is then inconsistent

As you say though luckily for us we have PC who will steer us back if he is supported and backed

“I remember the Ally Ally GTF days but this essentially was when the team were languishing in mediocrity and not as we are now chasing success.“

So it was fine when we were “languishing in mediocrity”? For the record, the “Ally, Ally GTF” days were when we were trying to get our third straight promotion to get back to where we belong after having everything taken from us … which was equally, if not more important.

And as for languishing in mediocrity, one title in 9 years (as things stand) since returning to the top flight is pretty much as mediocre as it gets by Rangers standards.

I’m not saying abusing players is fine, far from it, but your post above is all over the place and contradicts itself several times over.
There was “Ally Ally gtf” when he was a player also, he missed a lot of sitters but it didn’t stop him getting the golden boot. I’m afraid that is what it takes to be a Rangers player, that’s maybe why Tavernier, Goldson and co are just not at the level required. They don’t have the backbone.

They weren’t.

First off, the morons on Sunday having a go at Butland and Barisic, if identified, should have their STs taken away from them. Absolutely in total agreement with you regards their despicable behaviour.

As for the notion this squad of serial losers are winning a treble? There is faith, there is blind faith and there is self delusion.

This lot have shot their bolt and if by some chance we do pull it off on Saturday, it will still not be enough unless the main striker can score more and the midfield finally start contributing aplenty as well.

I admire your optimism, but having faith in these players? I'll give it a miss.

PS, I hope to be on here later on Saturday eating all the humble pie you want to throw in my face.

The supporters tanked our season at Ross County and Dundee?

Dullest take on here, blaming the fans for the teams failings. Seems to be a narrative some folk just want to cling on to for some reason.
Nobody is suggesting the fans cost us the points at RC and Dundee. At the same time there is no denying the toxicity created by a certain element hinders the team.

There is zero benefit to verbally abusing players.

The support are negative for a reason.

The team themselves must know this.

To watch them drag themselves to the cusp of glory, only to see them inexplicably hand the initiative back to the scum has a lot of folk understandably pissed off.

Only the players have the capacity to redeem themselves and get the support back on side. They do that by offering up a colossal performance on Saturday that the scum never saw coming.
Spot on and hope you are correct.

Usually I would agree with the o.p but the performances v Ross County and Dundee were the final straw for me with most of this squad.

I still can't believe we turned in those type of performances with a title on the line.

They can obviously turn it around but I admire anyone who has belief in this squad.

Crowd frustration can be fierce.Two examples that spring to mind I thought that Colak looked very pissed of at times and I'd say that Yilmaz looked terrified in case he made a mistake in his early days when frustrations were high.Id add Tillman too.

Dullest take on here, blaming the fans for the teams failings. Seems to be a narrative some folk just want to cling on to for some reason.
100% this.

Easiest, most boring take on here.

Clearly loads of people are missing the OP’s point. Yes, the team are primarily to blame. But the negative atmosphere generated by a small pool of imbeciles is still hugely disruptive to us achieving our goals.

In any line of work if you take endless criticism/ abuse every day it’ll have an impact on your performance.

It’s absolutely fine to dislike certain players but surely, as an adult, you can internalise those feelings without letting it manifest into directing abuse to them either verbally or through an online platform.

It's getting embarrassing now.

We as fans have every right to be criticise the squad when they throw away a league lead against 2 mediocre teams, however the moans and entitlement from an element of out support and is having a detrimental impact now.

Even at our lowest points as a club in recent years, I don't remember so many fans just writing off an old firm game, or approaching it with such apathy.

We're supposed to "fight til the day is done". We accuse the players of giving up, but soke of our fans are just as guilty of writing off this season when there's still 2 trophies to be played for.

It's a huge challenge ahead on Saturday. The team need our backing more than ever. Should they fail to deliver, we've every right to hold them to account...but we need to at least play our part in setting them up with the best possible chance for succes.

It's been flat as %^*& all season mate, with a few sporadic outbreaks of good backing.
I thought being away more games would have helped us but we blew the 2 "easy" ones and have totally fucked this challenge unless we miraculously pull off a win at the weekend.
Backing or not, this team are pretty spineless under pressure.
Oh, i agree.

The atmosphere at Ibrox has been so poor this season. Very flat.

Personally I have little faith in this team and just want to get ti the end of the season and have a much needed clearout

Imagine being so incapable of taking a nuanced view on anything.

Of course the team are to be blame for those results. There’s still an unbelievable amount of idiots in our support that can’t see the harm their doing with their Neanderthal-like behaviour.

See the absolute idiot (and believe me I want to call him something else but no sure I’ll get a ban for it) that got into an argument with Butland. Get him identified and get his baws booted.

Absolute clown.

A lot of folk complain about the supporters at Ibrox and at times they have a point but our away support is fantastic yet it has been away to ross county and dundee we have as good as spunked the league away.

Fans will always be fickle when supporting their team.

We just expected better from our team. They have shown they can do it but lately, they haven't.

Its now up to them to prove, one game at a time, that they still can do it starting with Saturday.

If we beat the scum 4 nil it won’t be enough for some but I feel the bitter disappointment of blowing a very good chance of winning this league in all honesty Clement has been the shining light I just hope he can build a successful team for next season.

Back