The Negative Impact of our supporters .

Usually I would agree with the o.p but the performances v Ross County and Dundee were the final straw for me with most of this squad.

I still can't believe we turned in those type of performances with a title on the line.

They can obviously turn it around but I admire anyone who has belief in this squad.
Totally agree. Ross County was bad enough but to turn in that gutless display at Dundee when we should have come out all guns blazing was
unforgivable.

Every support has it's section of bangers. We're no different. You'll get those two entitled halfwits arguing with Borna and Butland at every club at every ground up and down the country. It's not exclusive to us.

The support just don't trust or believe in this squad. Not ideal but frankly not surprising either.

I'll say this, if we never had a manager like Clement who somehow held the club together for as long as he did then the dam would've burst a lot earlier this season. He's the only guy at Ibrox even displaying a modicum of leadership and fight right now.
Spot on.

Clearly loads of people are missing the OP’s point. Yes, the team are primarily to blame. But the negative atmosphere generated by a small pool of imbeciles is still hugely disruptive to us achieving our goals.

In any line of work if you take endless criticism/ abuse every day it’ll have an impact on your performance.

It’s absolutely fine to dislike certain players but surely, as an adult, you can internalise those feelings without letting it manifest into directing abuse to them either verbally or through an online platform.
The players have caused the fans negativity.

When you're in a title race and you get out out played and out fought by Dundee and Ross County then its asking for trouble.

There's a sizeable portion of our fan base that have had enough of some of these players and I'd say the rest just have very little expectation of them, I can't really be arsed getting angry with them anymore.

Reactions: MrJ
I don't think the fans are to blame for the results however there is a section of our fanbase we could do with shedding.

Normally i'd 100% agree. Ibrox can be a toxic place when it isnt going our way. As can that midden.
I said once we went top the league will be lost on home games when the pressure is cranked right up.
Motherwell at home was the total opposite, even at full time the players were applauded off, you could see what they had put in before that game the atmosphere around the place was good.
Ross County & Dundee ultimately have put us in the position we are in and that is certainly not down to the fans.

“I remember the Ally Ally GTF days but this essentially was when the team were languishing in mediocrity and not as we are now chasing success.“

So it was fine when we were “languishing in mediocrity”? For the record, the “Ally, Ally GTF” days were when we were trying to get our third straight promotion to get back to where we belong after having everything taken from us … which was equally, if not more important.

And as for languishing in mediocrity, one title in 9 years (as things stand) since returning to the top flight is pretty much as mediocre as it gets by Rangers standards.

I’m not saying abusing players is fine, far from it, but your post above is all over the place and contradicts itself several times over.

So it was fine when we were “languishing in mediocrity”? For the record, the “Ally, Ally GTF” days were when we were trying to get our third straight promotion to get back to where we belong after having everything taken from us … which was equally, if not more important.

That's simply not true.

The infamous, 'Ally, Ally GTF' chant happened on the 16th, Feb, 1985 in a SC 4th round tie against Dundee at Ibrox. A certain John Brown scoring the only goal of the game for the visitors.

I remember a debate on here back in December ish asking if our players had the stomach for a title race. So far it looks as though the answer is no but we will see after this weekend.

The other side of that coin though, is do our fans have the stomach for it? It would appear not.

The team hasn’t given us much to work with lately but we as a support, have not covered ourselves in glory over the past few weeks.

We haven’t seen any of the passion or patience indeed, that helped push the team to a Euro final. I think for the most part, when the gaffer has needed us to back the team when it’s not going well, we have let him down.

I will say though, it’s a lot more negative in here than it is in the stands, that’s how it feels to me anyway.

We've seen what the Ibrox crowd can do in Europe. The positive effect is the equal of any club in the world .

But being 2-0 down at half time against Celtic when we had been comprehensively outplayed, outclassed and outfought at half time? The same old story and the same old problems?

I don't think any support in the world wouldn't have reacted furiously.

This is the same as the subway loyal threads, most people realise that it will never go away,
Fitba fans are forever getting frustrated by their team, it happens to EVERY team - look at the hundreds of bheasts who turned up at the Knew Camp DURING A PANDEMIC LOCK-DOWN to riot, fight the polis, throw sharks and chase their team bus down the road throwing bricks because they lost a match.
By the time the game comes around this weekend I'd like to think that even the prat who had a go at Borna will be behind the team, and as mentioned elsewhere, if the players are fired up to win (even if it's to spite the tossers within the support) then that's maybe no bad thing.
This team needs a bit fire in it's belly and if this carry-on provides it then good for us all round.
'Mon the Gers!

Another thread fan bashing crap( the numpties at the car park excluded),these players bottled it again is the bottom line,me/we/us travel all over home,away europe supporting them ,spend a fortune doing it.I didnt bottle it or the fellow bears who follow, the players did thats the bottom line here.

Aye, but we'd need a helping hand along the way, which you seem to have missed.

No really it's in our own hands if we won 2/0 on sat then would just need to out score them last 2 games.

Now I don't think we will win the league but point am making it most supporters don't have the belief because we can't beat Celtic when it matters.

I think if we were in this position and had beat celtic twice this season fans would probably be more confident rather than the negativty.

I am not looking forward to Saturday's game because our record against them is horrific and especially at piggery.

Untill we start beating them I don't think anything changes in the fans mindset.

There certainly does not feel like a togetherness among the support.

4 games away from a treble, however very few in the support have the belief it can happen.

Andy McGowan on H&H spoke well about it.
I think the difference is that we used to have winners on the park, which gave us that slight hope.

We were able to go to the piggery and get a win, even when we’d been written off. The problem now is, the players don’t have the belief they can go win this game.

It goes hand in hand, the support see the player don’t have what it takes to get the job done as it’s been proven for over 5 years now.

This season the negative feeling has been as bad as I can remember.

We are in a great position where if we win 4 games can win a treble.

Problem is 2 of them games are against celtic and we can't seem to beat them when it matters.

My feelings is that cos we can't beat them the fans have lost belief and turned on a lot of the players.

Correction - we “were” in a good position a month ago before this squad threw it away.

Of course in October last year we’d have taken three points in it with 3 games to go but it would be daft to just completely ignore the fact that had we managed to take more than a pitiful one point from 6 against Dundee and Ross County we’d be on the cusp of securing the league title this weekend. Can hardly blame the fans for being down on the team given that they continually choke at the business end.

None of that justifies some of the personal abuse such as the Barisic incident however, that’s just morons being morons.

This is the same as the subway loyal threads, most people realise that it will never go away,
Fitba fans are forever getting frustrated by their team, it happens to EVERY team - look at the hundreds of bheasts who turned up at the Knew Camp DURING A PANDEMIC LOCK-DOWN to riot, fight the polis, throw sharks and chase their team bus down the road throwing bricks because they lost a match.
By the time the game comes around this weekend I'd like to think that even the prat who had a go at Borna will be behind the team, and as mentioned elsewhere, if the players are fired up to win (even if it's to spite the tossers within the support) then that's maybe no bad thing.
This team needs a bit fire in it's belly and if this carry-on provides it then good for us all round.
'Mon the Gers!

'Mon the Gers!

This is what is all wrong. Why would a team, which is four games away from a treble (which is not strictly true) need fire in their bellies? Surely they should all be pumped up anyway?

The bottom line is, there is not one single leader in that team. No one to take his team mates by the scruff of the neck and spur the rest on and lead by example.

My heart tells me one thing regards Saturday, my head is resigned to something different.

I never thought I'd ever be saying these things but that's what this present bunch have done to me.

I'll always love the club, this squad have decimated my faith in it.

It’s a few fans from thousands.

The bulk of fans are just normal punters, dismayed that the team they fund high wages for are under-performers. Some simply look like they can’t be that bothered and some have the audacity to wind the fans back up (Silva).

The team would be in the same position as it is now irrespective of the fans conduct.

The supporters tanked our season at Ross County and Dundee?

Dullest take on here, blaming the fans for the teams failings. Seems to be a narrative some folk just want to cling on to for some reason.
It's not either/or - both of these are problems.

The negativity inside Ibrox creates anxiety in our players, they play worse and it creates further negativity. It's a vicious circle, and the fans could help to break it by showing more patience and not overreacting to mistakes.

The half time reaction at the OF game was way over the top. Some of our support need to catch a grip.

It probably isn’t a coincidence that our only title win in the last decade was when we weren’t there.
Wow just wow I don’t think it was bad enough that first half was an utter disgrace the worst first half I’ve witnessed watching rangers. They rightly got booed off the park however righty imo giving a round of applause for the second half performance.

Correction - we “were” in a good position a month ago before this squad threw it away.

Of course in October last year we’d have taken three points in it with 3 games to go but it would be daft to just completely ignore the fact that had we managed to take more than a pitiful one point from 6 against Dundee and Ross County we’d be on the cusp of securing the league title this weekend. Can hardly blame the fans for being down on the team given that they continually choke at the business end.

None of that justifies some of the personal abuse such as the Barisic incident however, that’s just morons being morons.

It's a better position than we have been in all apart from 1 season in past 10 or so years.

I agree we blew it against Ross County and Dundee and I don't really blame fans for negative feelings as personally right now I think Celtic will beat us twice as see nothing from the team that makes me feel different.

Shouldnt translate to abuse of players after the game.

The negativity inside Ibrox creates anxiety in our players, they play worse and it creates further negativity. It's a vicious circle, and the fans could help to break it by showing more patience and not overreacting to mistakes.
The perceived toxic environment at Ibrox doesn't explain what happened at Ross County and Dundee.

It’s a few fans from thousands.

The bulk of fans are just normal punters, dismayed that the team they fund high wages for are under-performers. Some simply look like they can’t be that bothered and some have the audacity to wind the fans back up (Silva).

The team would be in the same position as it is now irrespective of the fans conduct.
Agreed.

I'm not sure what it will take for some to just say there's a core of players who just can't handle a title race in Scotland.

One wee thing wrong with that picture. The five points squandered that have cost us the league were at Dingwall and Dundee with the backing of the usual brilliant backing from the away support.

Fans aren’t to blame for the core of this team being constant failures. What I will say is the brain dead imbeciles giving players abuse while signing jerseys don’t help either and we could without their ilk at Ibrox. Sometimes you’re embarrassed to be associated with certain people who call themselves Rangers fans and this is one of those times.

I'm weirdly glad the game is at theirs on Saturday.

The expectations and pressure that our home support (through no fault) put on the team. It can be Celtics support to heap that pressure on their team this time.

We're complete underdogs, and should mentally prepare like such. Get all the team watching Gladiator this week to pump them up haha.

All supports have idiots, the easiest thing to do is not engage when being given verbal just walk away.

The good far outweigh the bad

If it wasn’t Groundhog Day season after season. When Gio came in it created a winning team then they succumb to this normality of shitting the bed when they need to step up. Same old this time, enough is enough.
The negativity is borne out of this in my opinion and it is deserved. Some players need to leave, it’s as simple as that. This players won’t win this league, even if it somehow got to the last game of the season with them just needing a draw they don’t have it in them to get that draw.
We need to see a good number of fresh faces for next season or it could get even worse before Christmas

No really it's in our own hands if we won 2/0 on sat then would just need to out score them last 2 games.

Now I don't think we will win the league but point am making it most supporters don't have the belief because we can't beat Celtic when it matters.

I think if we were in this position and had beat celtic twice this season fans would probably be more confident rather than the negativty.

I am not looking forward to Saturday's game because our record against them is horrific and especially at piggery.

Untill we start beating them I don't think anything changes in the fans mindset.
And that's not happened all season.

What about the team having a negative impact on supporters? Years of it. When I'm in the stadium I rarely criticise our players, but if someone isn't up to scratch the club need to know, otherwise we're settling for mediocrity. And some of the players in this squad don't seem to give a shit.

“I remember the Ally Ally GTF days but this essentially was when the team were languishing in mediocrity and not as we are now chasing success.“

And as for languishing in mediocrity, one title in 9 years (as things stand) since returning to the top flight is pretty much as mediocre as it gets by Rangers standards.

I’m not saying abusing players is fine, far from it, but your post above is all over the place and contradicts itself several times over.
Wow.
You say I’m confused and all over the place.
Ally Ally GTF was around 40 years ago when he was a player.haha.
I believe it came to its peak at a home game against Dundee when we had a crowd of around 10k if even that.

You also miss the point about the post which you reckon revolves around the last 9 years of mediocrity.

This is about supporting the team in its hour of need with possibilities of winning a treble albeit unlikely .
This is about creating an environment where the players are relaxed and able to perform to their optimum at this crucial stage of the season.
This is about toxic keyboard warriors and supporters abusing players.

FFS will these people not realise they are not helping and some cases causing harm and having a detrimental effect.

I'm weirdly glad the game is at theirs on Saturday.

The expectations and pressure that our home support (through no fault) put on the team. It can be Celtics support to heap that pressure on their team this time.

We're complete underdogs, and should mentally prepare like such. Get all the team watching Gladiator this week to pump them up haha.
There’ll be 0 pressure on them if what’s happened in past games this season they go one up. The filth know we are never coming back from that because they see the same as we see and that’s the truth.

One wee thing wrong with that picture. The five points squandered that have cost us the league were at Dingwall and Dundee with the backing of the usual brilliant backing from the away support.
Also completely ignores the fact that Celtic fans are often far more venomous and vocal about it when their team isn’t playing well at home, yet it seems to affect their players far less than ours.

Peoples depth of disappointment and frustration is understandable. We’ve had a lot to bear for a long time.

But yes the attitude of the support impacts the boys ability to perform. Absolutely it does.
People react positively to encouragement and support. It’s the best chance of restoring confidence and rekindling desire and belief. The reassurance of we’re behind you, we believe in you - and crucially, we’ll still be here behind you when it’s over as long as you’ve given it your best shot.

Bawling negative abuse piles on pressure, creates nerves, the fear of making mistakes etc.

We would be best served appreciating the boys efforts in getting to the point where they could still go level on points at the top with a win on Saturday and giving them our complete support to leave everything on the pitch with us behind them regardless of what happens in the end.

That’s support.
Then onto the cup final.

Every support on the planet has a muppet element, at Rangers it has always been there, it's nothing new.

It's wrong though and downright insulting to blame the support for the players dropping 5 points at Ross County and Dundee, 5 points which would have seen us practically home and hosed.

The no surrender, 12th man, fans pushing the team on philosophy - great on the rare occasions it applies but the reality of football is that we should win most of our games because we have better players. Pretty simple. We as a club actually need to get that mentality back and stop having to rely on going to the determination well every other week. A fired up Ross County midfielder should not be getting the better of his Rangers counterpart operating at even 50%.

The other thing is that if you want that effect from the fans then it’s on the team to encourage it out in the first instance. People are bringing up the Europa run and comparing it to a league game in Dundee - it couldn’t be more apples and oranges. One is the team approaching a game against a superior opponent and putting in top effort from the first whistle, the other is coming out at Dens and looking like they’re phoning it in. It wasn’t a “we’re trying our hardest today and it’s not working” or a “the goalies having a blinder and the ref is shafting us” situation. It was a failure of basic application which the fans aren’t fooled by. And they react accordingly.

And that's not happened all season.

And thats the problem you don't believe we can I don't and am sure the players don't either.

Even if we won at Piggery 3/0 and went top I would start automatically thinking aww naw we are gonna %^*& up against Dundee/Hearts.

If we can start beating Celtic in games that matter then maybe fans attitudes will change it's been set up perfect for us twice at Ibrox this season and we have 1/6 against them had we won them then it would be in our hands.

The problem is that we have a unique situation in Scotland where if you’re not winning, your rivals are winning. There are very few if any leagues in the world with that and it causes fans to go over the top both in praise and negativity at times.

The reality is that fans getting on the players backs must have a negative effect but at the same time guys earning 20k a week should have a far better attitude when playing than we have seen nearly every game this season.

The supporters tanked our season at Ross County and Dundee?

Dullest take on here, blaming the fans for the teams failings. Seems to be a narrative some folk just want to cling on to for some reason.
I was at game in Dingwall. Players deserved every bit of stick they got. Attitude was piss poor from them all.

Can’t take plaudits when all goes well and complain when you get stick for not playing well.

Agree re the amount of time given to new players, though that is a completely different conversation and it was indicative more of the fans frustration with the management at the time, the same player has been well supported since.

Plenty of fans, myself included, have said even if we win the treble, we need to get rid of some of the same players who let us down time and time again.

We are a demanding support, but with that comes the backing like no other fan base if the players produce, I would rather we were demanding than accepting 2nd best.
Disagree on the last part. We don't back the team any more or less than any other fans do when their team is winning.

Yeah, you're not wrong, but that doesn't make the toxic atmosphere at Ibrox NOT a problem. Points dropped at Ibrox against Motherwell would have the same impact on our league chances as those dropped in recent away games.

Both shit form and supporter negativity are problems that are hurting us.

The team can’t beat Celtic and routinely shit themselves in these games and this is what happens rightly or wrongly. We didn’t win the title for years under Gerrard but we were beating Celtic and making clear progress so you didn’t see this type of thing, whereas now most of this squad have no future at the club.

I’m not saying it’s right at all I’m simply stating the reality of it, you can’t have the good without the bad here. It’s how it works. Failure to win games against them to the extent we have the last few years will start causing trouble. Nobody believes we can win at Parkhead and the players are getting it tight because of it, add that on top of the two performances against Dundee and County meaning that we now have to win there to even have a 40% chance of winning the League.

Back