The Negative Impact of our supporters .

I think it’s pretty clear across the message board and socials that everyone agrees the fan in the clip is wrong.

I think longer term some players have been here too long and fans are simply fed up with them. It’s time to move them on for everybody’s benefit.

Otherwise the same things will happen on the park and in the stands.

Usually I would agree with the o.p but the performances v Ross County and Dundee were the final straw for me with most of this squad.

I still can't believe we turned in those type of performances with a title on the line.

They can obviously turn it around but I admire anyone who has belief in this squad.
I have a hard time lifting my spirits after Ross county and Dundee.

But there’s a few games left. Will the team play better if we get behind them or abuse them?

Back them until the end of the season then we can look at who can stay and who can go

You do have a point, it must have a negative effect on the players.
But the fans are sick to the back teeth of the same players doing the same shit season after season.
Fed up hearing Tav & co say we'll learn from it & they never do.
Fed up seeing Lunny & co kick it about like its a warmup.
Silva's celebration after he scored was ridiculous.
Turns up 1 game in 3 or whatever & thinks he can backchat the fans.
GTF.

I would exempt the traveling support from criticism, their support always appears to be constant and for 90 minutes.

Ibrox could be a helluva lot better, lots of perma raging entitled fans looking to vent their life's frustrations on the team, like a few on here. It's just constant negativity, helps no one.

My biggest criticism is on the thousands that leave early with 10+ minutes to go.

Clement specifically asked the fans to stay and support the team, do their bit.
These fans have ignored his request, streaming out of the ground on Sunday when a couple more goals would have increased our slim chances of winning this title. And how many missed Souttar's 4th, 10 to 20 thousand I reckon? It's pathetic if you don't have a good reason to leave.
The behaviour of some of the travelling support towards our players on some occasions this season has been shocking.

It's this kind of constant misery and negativity that helps no one, and makes FF unbearable these days.

We've won titles from worse positions, we have another cup final to look forward to.

I assume you'll be giving up any tickets you have for the remainder of the season, considering you think there's no point in the team showing up, and you've given up.

Would it not be better if you addressed the over riding problems staring us in the face, rather than wallowing in make believe?

You say I'm being miserable and negative. Fair enough.

I'd say I've had my full of most of this squad and I'm realistic.

FWIW, inwardly, I'd always back my club against anyone domestically. This lot have knocked the stuffing out of it.

The manager thinks that the support are a problem (not the problem). He's highlighted it previously, that the team could do with more backing.
Not buying that, where does he say specifically the support are a problem?

And again, that doesn't relate to the games against Motherwell, Dundee and Ross County in which the players were the problem, not the fans.

The players and the manager are the reason for the recent collapse, not the fans.

The behaviour of some of the travelling support towards our players on some occasions this season has been shocking.

Watch the games on RTV, so not noticed it. They generally sing and support the team for the full match. What supporters should be doing.
At Ibrox we've guys screaming abuse 2 minutes in with the first misplaced pass. Some have no idea what supporting the team entails. Seems to be you only support the team when we're smashing teams.
Most grounds would be empty if that's what being a supporter entailed.

I think it’s pretty clear across the message board and socials that everyone agrees the fan in the clip is wrong.

I think longer term some players have been here too long and fans are simply fed up with them. It’s time to move them on for everybody’s benefit.

Otherwise the same things will happen on the park and in the stands.
Came on to quote your pod from last night.

It's not quite apathy but there's definitely just no belief. That fever pitch you get in a genuine title push, you can't really fake that and it's just not there.

We're 3 points behind but feels like it may as well be 33.

That's purely down to the player's previous charge sheet. It needs remedied in the summer.

We could be 6/7 points ahead with this same core next season and there will be a huge feeling of we're going to %^*& this up amongst the fans. That's not healthy.

Would it not be better if you addressed the over riding problems staring us in the face, rather than wallowing in make believe?

You say I'm being miserable and negative. Fair enough.

I'd say I've had my full of most of this squad and I'm realistic.

FWIW, inwardly, I'd always back my club against anyone domestically. This lot have knocked the stuffing out of it.

We've 4 games to go, it's not inconceivable that we could still win a treble.
Most football fans never get in this position in their lifetime, but they keep going and support their teams, enjoy the experience.

I'd suggest a bit more positive outlook and backing the team to the hilt until it's done.
It's been frustrating, but considering the injury situation this season, we're fortunate to be where we are.

I’ve never bought this “well you can’t expect the players to believe if you don’t” thing to be honest.

Professional athletes need to and typically do have a different mindset to your average supporter, which is why they are at the top end of their chosen profession and are very well paid for that. I’m just a bloke who pays to watch his team week in week out while living my life with the various stresses everyone has to deal with.

Everyone being in sync helps sure but a sizeable majority of it needs to come from within the players themselves, and our players have shown time after time that they don’t deliver when the pressure is on so it isn’t surprising there are trust issues there, ultimately only the players can change that.
Would you not agree that professional athletes can be different in personality and different things motivates them to perform to their optimum.?
Also their perceived value in the squad and contract situation can also affect performance or ability to perform.
In short there are variables.
What I am saying is that criticism whether deserved or not can affect players performance.

Nearly every manager I have heard speaks positively about the effects supporters can have on games.
Even a few weeks ago Clement was speaking about the subway loyal and asking them to stay for 90 minutes to give support.

So for me unquestionably supporters can impact positively on team performance and equally negatively especially when unduly critical.
What is that players talk about on European nights at Ibrox.

At this crucial stage in the season surely supporters can be encouraging to the team instead of demeaning them.

I think the team is onto a hiding before they step on the park, the fans have made up there their and any errors will be met with extra rage. Maybe no Gers fans at there park could work out well I don't think they will react well to us taking the lead...

It's not quite apathy but there's definitely just no belief. That fever pitch you get in a genuine title push, you can't really fake that and it's just not there.

That's purely down to the player's previous charge sheet. It needs remedied in the summer.

We could be 6/7 points ahead with this same core next season and there will be a huge feeling of we're going to %^*& this up amongst the fans. That's not healthy.

Yeah that’s it exactly bud. There’s a difference between logic and emotion. So while people know we can win the league, there’s not a lot of belief we actually will. And I don’t think you can fake that.

It’s purely down to past evidence, so there’s no way the same thing wouldn’t happen if we were in the same boat with the same players next year.

I'd go further and say the players and fans have generally accepted we won't the league this season despite it still being well within our grasp.

You miss the point completely.
It’s not about the blame game and recriminations.
It’s about realising that negative actions by supporters and putting players on edge when we have a chance of a treble is self defeating.

Don’t you understand that:
If you’re talking about the support in general they’ve been very patient with this team overall as they generally stumble from failure to failure over the years when the chips are down. If you’re talking about the head cases causing trouble while trying to get signatures outside the ground, they should just be banned from Ibrox.

I think our biggest problem is apathy and acceptance of mediocrity which I can see creeping in.

I’m sorry I do expect the fans to support the team unconditionally irrespective of continually letting the supporters down!
It’s part of being a supporter not an entitled cretin.

I come from an era when they won their EC and first NIAR and went to every game home and away during that period and had plenty disappointments.
I didn’t like it but accepted it.

Support is unconditional but this seems to even be even regarded on here by some as a weakness and you’re labelled a loser with a losers mentality like the players.
Some people need to grow up:

During 9 in a row, and Walters second spell when we had a bad run it was just as bad, I remember it well.

The players, and the manager, had the balls to make us forget it pretty quickly by winning big games and trophies.

Lets not pretend we not have always been demanding, I would say the frustration levels are probably more at the minute with the fans, but again thats because of how long the same players have let us down, but even back in the 90s when I first got my season ticket, we were, and always have been, a very very demanding support.

And tbh, I wouldn't have it any other way, if your happy to plod along and clap off successive collapses and 2nd best seasons then that isn't what I was brought up, nor you.

I'd go further and say the players and fans have generally accepted we won't the league this season despite it still being well within our grasp.
I said as much at 3-1 on Sunday. Against ten men, the team should have been breaking their necks to rack up a really big win against ten men. The fact they didn’t told me the belief isn’t there for next week at all.

There needs to be a separation of supporter actions. Idiots having a go at players in person or directly via social media need to see the damage their actions cause. Having a moan on FF or with your mates is completely different.

I had a thread closed on Sunday after the game as I believed we didn’t display the appropriate mindset needed to win this league. I stand by what I said, we needed to be more ruthless and show more aggression. That doesn’t make me a lesser supporter (I’ve followed Rangers all over the country and Europe for over 30 years).

I have serious doubts about Saturday. I have real concerns we’ll do our usual: Gift them a goal and won’t take our chances.

I don’t see that as being negative, I see it as me sharing my opinion. I really hope I’m wrong.

Just as well Celtic were pish until 2000 or I would have had to listen to this negative pish and patter a lot longer.

As alluded to, it’s not the defeats but the manner of them.

We lost a goal within 30 seconds vs. Celtic.

Were fortunate not lose one in the first minute in Dingwall. We lost 2 within 5 minutes of the 2nd half restart.

Gave up a good opportunity to Dundee at the start, likewise vs St Mirren.

That’s not the influence of the support.

I’ve thought for a while that in many instances, it’s not ‘bottle’ but complacency.

Clearly loads of people are missing the OP’s point. Yes, the team are primarily to blame. But the negative atmosphere generated by a small pool of imbeciles is still hugely disruptive to us achieving our goals.

In any line of work if you take endless criticism/ abuse every day it’ll have an impact on your performance.

It’s absolutely fine to dislike certain players but surely, as an adult, you can internalise those feelings without letting it manifest into directing abuse to them either verbally or through an online platform.
You're not supporting the team if you're screaming abuse at them. Yes they deserve a bit of criticism with poor performances and sometimes effort , but some of the comments border on the ridiculous even hatred and would be more at home on a tim site .People are entitled to their opinion, but It's as easy to shout encouragement as it is abuse.

Last edited:
Plenty of folk were shouting at McCoist to GTF as we struggled in that Championship season. Some turned on him pretty rapid that season, it was sad to see.

Again though, it was a long process.

As far back as the 3rd division you knew McCoist wasn't up to it, and at times the players and him were feigning it in.

The moment I turned was Stirling Albion away when we lost 1-0, so while folk can say the fans turned, there was bloody good reason for the fans to turn.

If they’re not mentally strong enough to take criticism when they are underperforming, they shouldn’t be at Rangers.

Are we supposed to cheer on adult millionaire men, at elite level sport during abject failure like some sort of nursery school sports day? where “everyone is a winner just for taking part”?
If you don’t like criticism, you can always go and play for St Mirren for £1,500 a week and be happy with a mid table finish.

I cannot accept any criticism of the fans who have stuck by the same squad of utter failures for so long.

We've 4 games to go, it's not inconceivable that we could still win a treble.
Most football fans never get in this position in their lifetime, but they keep going and support their teams, enjoy the experience.

I'd suggest a bit more positive outlook and backing the team to the hilt until it's done.
It's been frustrating, but considering the injury situation this season, we're fortunate to be where we are.
[/QUOTE

Well, I had a real positive outlook when we kicked off at the last game. Do you honestly believe my positive outlook had any bearing on the captain not doing his job just 30 seconds in?

You think we're fortunate to be in the position we're in? I'm disgusted.

There's nowt as queer as folks, eh?

Problem is the fans have watched these players freeze at the vital moment too many times now.

To have fought all the way back to the top in February, with all the momentum behind us and a full scale timplosion unfolding across the city, only to sh!t the bed against Motherwell, Ross County and Dundee, is a complete sickener.

Yes it's still possible we can win the treble but it was obvious on Saturday the belief is completely gone, and that is on the players.

Can't expect the fans to have belief when the players themselves clearly don't.
You don’t think supporters can help to reinforce the concept of belief.
In recent years in Europe we have beaten teams from better leagues.
On nights like that home and even away supporters have generated a positive atmosphere and given belief.
We as supporters generate belief and players buy into it and improves performance.

Works sometimes and sometimes doesn’t but no doubt enhances players performance more often than not.
I can’t remember criticism ever being positive and edgy players at the weekend even star players like Butland shows the dressing room is not a happy place just now.

Think the best thing fans can do for the remainder of the month is adopt a policy of "if you've got nothing good to say, say nothing at all." That's what I'm doing anyway.

I would defend any supporter’s right to criticise the players
It’s not my thing I may utter the odd ffs and occasionally a bit more but don’t see it as beneficial to player or club to launch a tirade
But some of that criticism goes way beyond frustration.
I have seen guys abuse our players more than opposition players after merely making a misplaced pass - yet sit impassive when an opposition players commits a horrendous challenge
Had a debate with a fellow supporter on Sunday
Who after a mis control by lundstrum
Proceeded to call him a “lazy , useless sh*tebag scouser “ and suggested he eff of now

I suggested that it was one mistake and sure he was as Frustrated as us

I also said maybe directing that abuse at the incompetent ref would be more apt

his view was pay my money say what I want

I think there is a line and a small section of our support step over the line of acceptable

Yeah that’s it exactly bud. There’s a difference between logic and emotion. So while people know we can win the league, there’s not a lot of belief we actually will. And I don’t think you can fake that.

It’s purely down to past evidence, so there’s no way the same thing wouldn’t happen if we were in the same boat with the same players next year.

If the majority of this lot are still here next year there will be a backlash.

Logic and Emotion, RSC.

It would be better if we had away fans on Saturday but it's the reason why being away might have worked, or might still work, in our favour.

A tense, frustrated Ibrox is not a great place when the team are struggling on Old Firm day.

Not buying that, where does he say specifically the support are a problem?

And again, that doesn't relate to the games against Motherwell, Dundee and Ross County in which the players were the problem, not the fans.

The players and the manager are the reason for the recent collapse, not the fans.
He specifically mentioned supporters leaving early as having an impact, so Ibrox atmosphere is a factor. Admittedly I thought he'd also said more about this, but might be misremembering.

Again, I am not disagreeing with you that there are other reasons for our current position, but I think that the atmosphere at home is something that can be improved. In the spirit of marginal gains, we should be looking at any potential improvements to performance, we don't have to just focus on the one single biggest one.

This season the negative feeling has been as bad as I can remember.

We are in a great position where if we win 4 games can win a treble.

Problem is 2 of them games are against celtic and we can't seem to beat them when it matters.

My feelings is that cos we can't beat them the fans have lost belief and turned on a lot of the players.
They continue to be better than us.

That won’t ever sit well with the vast majority of our support although it’s horrifying to think that there’s a generation who a percentage of will now accept this as the norm.

Until we’re back on top in Glasgow and winning trophies regularly then the players and club will continue to get it in the neck and so they should.

The support gives everything and then some,it’s way beyond the point that we got what we want back.

The fan in the clip with Borna or if it was Butland is out of order.

If I was having a meal and Fabio Silva or Lundstram or A N Other who is currently pish was in the restaurant, I’d completely ignore him. One, it’s their private space and two I don’t really like many of our players at all.

And that’s the issue here, through mentality issues, quality, injury prone, not standing up, looking for Tav to bail you out, all talk and no action etc etc the vast majority are done with the squad. The only Rangers squad that could win a Treble and you’d be happy to see 75% go away.

The negative impacts have been Beale. The Board allowing Beale blowing a lot of cash. Poor officials. Rangers not calling out poor officials on a regular basis. The players being shite under Beale, the players giving us hope then realising when they could win it that they might not fancy winning it. Putting us in the position we are in, trying to batter teams with big scores but then when 3-1 up, game won v ten men with 20 min to play we aren’t scoring more or looking urgent enough to do so.

The fans moaning, being critical or booing is a sign of the position. Some fans go overboard, the 9 in a row team and Walter’s 3 in a row team took abuse. If you want to shite yourself from in stadium fan abuse then Ibrox is not your place to be. Rightly or wrongly. Stay away from social media. And I say the Club should protect the players on that walk out the Stadium better, of course.

And on Borna, I get he was incensed by something and the fan would’ve been an arse, I only wish he’d shown that aggression v Abada or Jota when they fucked him and us over repeatedly.

Too many years of struggling to make a backbone out of a 25 man squad. Fair play to the fans turning up en masse week in week out.

You don’t think supporters can help to reinforce the concept of belief.
In recent years in Europe we have beaten teams from better leagues.
On nights like that home and even away supporters have generated a positive atmosphere and given belief.
We as supporters generate belief and players buy into it and improves performance.

Works sometimes and sometimes doesn’t but no doubt enhances players performance more often than not.
I can’t remember criticism ever being positive and edgy players at the weekend even star players like Butland shows the dressing room is not a happy place just now.
Of course supporters can be the 12th man on certain occasions and in certain circumstances.

But it’s misty eyed to think that is and needs to be a regular occurrence. Rangers don’t win most games because we sing no surrender its because we pay more money for better players and staff.

There is that phenomenon where a charged support can inspire a team to overachieve like in the Europa League run but if players start a match underprepared and not concentrating to the required levels no amount of singing will help.

And that’s been the issue. It hasn’t been that the team has been trying its hardest and been unlucky or had odds stacked against them. It’s that they’ve turned up to too many games this season with the wrong attitude, bad preparation, and not enough effort. The fans can see that and rightly call it out as unnacceptable.

And that’s the issue here, through mentality issues, quality, injury prone, not standing up, looking for Tav to bail you out, all talk and no action etc etc the vast majority are done with the squad. The only Rangers squad that could win a Treble and you’d be happy to see 75% go away.
that's a really sad reality but it's true :(

just too many in that team who have the wrong mentality and it's managed to get into players who haven't been here for the film seen too many times

Of course supporters can be the 12th man on certain occasions and in certain circumstances.

But it’s misty eyed to think that is and needs to be a regular occurrence. Rangers don’t win most games because we sing no surrender its because we pay more money for better players and staff.

There is that phenomenon where a charged support can inspire a team to overachieve like in the Europa League run but if players start a match underprepared and not concentrating to the required levels no amount of singing will help.

And that’s been the issue. It hasn’t been that the team has been trying its hardest and been unlucky or had odds stacked against them. It’s that they’ve turned up to too many games this season with the wrong attitude, bad preparation, and not enough effort. The fans can see that and rightly call it out as unnacceptable.
Look at how we've started the last 4 or 5 league games.

It's not a group of players bursting their arse to win a title.

Performances haven't been good lately and fans are entitled to be annoyed at that. Constant abuse though is counter productive at this stage of the season but some fans are too dumb to see that.

During 9 in a row, and Walters second spell when we had a bad run it was just as bad, I remember it well.

The players, and the manager, had the balls to make us forget it pretty quickly by winning big games and trophies.

Lets not pretend we not have always been demanding, I would say the frustration levels are probably more at the minute with the fans, but again thats because of how long the same players have let us down, but even back in the 90s when I first got my season ticket, we were, and always have been, a very very demanding support.

And tbh, I wouldn't have it any other way, if your happy to plod along and clap off successive collapses and 2nd best seasons then that isn't what I was brought up, nor you.
I would suggest social media has had a huge bearing on our supporters and is another avenue to vent their spleen.
I go as far back as the 60’s when they had BJK.
I have vivid memories of 100+ thousand at Hampden in a SC final 1969 I think when we were gubbed 4-0 and it was 3-0 at ht.
Billy McNeill scored in 2 minutes when Alex Ferguson (yup him) got blocked off at a corner.
Approaching ht the amount of bottles were flying around was incredible.

I remember 10,000 at Ibrox and was a supporter who went to games during this period.
What I recognise is the value of being a proper supporter through thick and thin.
Not happy when going through famine but want to encourage the team to success especially when we have a chance however slim of winning a treble.

What I am clearly saying this is not the time to blow steam up your arse at the players but be behind them.
Eff all to do with being a happy clapper which is not time appropriate IMO.

There needs to be a separation of supporter actions. Idiots having a go at players in person or directly via social media need to see the damage their actions cause. Having a moan on FF or with your mates is completely different.

I had a thread closed on Sunday after the game as I believed we didn’t display the appropriate mindset needed to win this league. I stand by what I said, we needed to be more ruthless and show more aggression. That doesn’t make me a lesser supporter (I’ve followed Rangers all over the country and Europe for over 30 years).

I have serious doubts about Saturday. I have real concerns we’ll do our usual: Gift them a goal and won’t take our chances.

I don’t see that as being negative, I see it as me sharing my opinion. I really hope I’m wrong.

It's called being realistic and demoralised with a squad of losers who will invariably let you down.

Change, radical bloody change, is needed and the fans sense that.

Are there really any supporters who can be bothered with the Tavernier debate nonsense yet again next season after another Old Firm disaster?

Or debates about Goldson's fitness and if Souttar is good enough to be first choice whilst one person thinks Cantwell would be a star in a better team as another thinks he should be sold to Yeovil Town?

Massive change is impossible but real change would be replacing a few key players and finding some fresh blood that show drive and desire.

We saw that when Gerrard came in and we were excited by the likes of Arfield, Katic and Kent. Fans would fully get behind Clement and be much more patient if it was obvious a new era was starting.

I would suggest social media has had a huge bearing on our supporters and is another avenue to vent their spleen.
I have vivid memories of 100+ thousand at Hampden in a SC final 1969 I think when we were gubbed 4-0 and it was 3-0 at ht.
Billy McNeill scored in 2 minutes when Alex Ferguson (yup him) got blocked off at a corner.

I remember 10,000 at Ibrox and was a supporter who went to games during this period.
What I recognise is the value of being a proper supporter through thick and thin.
Not happy when going through famine but want to encourage the team to success especially when we have a chance however slim of winning a treble.

What I am clearly saying this is not the time to blow steam up your arse at the players but be behind them.

Not really what you said when I replied though was it.
"I do expect the fans to support the team unconditionally irrespective of continually letting the supporters down!"

When the players can still win things, the players get support, but it is mixed with a nervousness that they have let us all down countless times.

They fail to win the title, another collapse by the same core group of players, having a title in hand and pissing it away, the same players bottling big moments, then of course the criticism will be warranted and the fans will be correct to demand the same players are let go, otherwise you are going into another season with players you cannot trust.

It doesn't make you an entitled cretin, it makes you a realist that there is time for a change.

Some of our fans are like a battered wife, just hoping that one day they might change, well on the evidence they haven't and unless you are happy to continually accept 2nd place, then wanting certain players replaced doesn't make you any less of a supporter than someone who wants the opposite, its the type of supporter we need while the ones happy to accept 2nd best should maybe switch allegiances to Partick and celebrate the odd win and whistle and be on there way when they lose every 3rd game.

Change, radical bloody change, is needed and the fans sense that.

Are there really any supporters who can be bothered with the Tavernier debate nonsense yet again next season after another Old Firm disaster?

Or debates about Goldson's fitness and if Souttar is good enough to be first choice whilst one person thinks Cantwell would be a star in a better team as another thinks he should be sold to Yeovil Town?

Massive change is impossible but real change would be replacing a few key players and finding some fresh blood that show drive and desire.

We saw that when Gerrard came in and we were excited by the likes of Arfield, Katic and Kent. Fans would fully get behind Clement and be much more patient if it was obvious a new era was starting.
I get what you mean,

But we had a rebuild also last summer and the new players got it tight right away ( fans giving Sima dogs abuse during pre season)

Fan base is far to impatient and it would just be new players to get annoyed about and argue about.

Fair amount of bangers in our support, but the overall anger/negativity is just a result of what happens when the same faces are kept around making the same mistakes and excuses season after season.

There were 132,000 in attendance in 1969. The biggest OF att ever.

But I don't really get your point. I grew up in that period and it wasn't nice. I'd see my old man coming in from games (when he didn't take me) and struggling to keep his frustration in check, but he always did.

Whether you're a happy clapper or not, doesn't really matter. This season especially has seen this squad let us down badly and in my opinion the five points squandered at Ross County and Dundee was the last straw for many.

Not having belief in serial losers does not equate to being a 'bad' or inferior supporter.

I get what you mean,

But we had a rebuild also last summer and the new players got it tight right away ( fans giving Sima dogs abuse during pre season)

Fan base is far to impatient and it would just be new players to get annoyed about and argue about.
Yeah, fair point, man. I remember a lot of scepticism about Sima.
But the same old, same old were still there.
Time for a change of the guard.

Back