The Negative Impact of our supporters .

Yeah, fair point, man. I remember a lot of scepticism about Sima.
But the same old, same old were still there.
Time for a change of the guard.
We effectively done that last season
McGregor,Arfield,Kent,Morelos,Sakala were big players for Rangers and fans weren’t happy with the new recruits ( Butland) aside.

I am actually looking forward to seeing players I actually like and have had good to very good contributions being replaced this summer to see what we bring in better.

What if that doesn’t work? Another rebuild and hunt out players that have been more than 2 years again?

Said this since we were allowed back in the stadiums.

Every result or poor performance fans want a “ rebuild”

Last season the patter about Kent and Alfie “ chucking it “ every 5 minutes

Tav and Goldson blamed for absolutely everything ( 0 0 draw away at Dundee and folk moaning about the defence)

Listening to folk in the stadium slaughter Rangers players during a game against Celtic and not even try get behind them.

Launstorm getting it stinking because hes a holding midfielder and every team has 1.

I have noticed in last few weeks a lot of fans even online have had enough of listening to the negative shite online and obviously the players have as well.

If you could make same money elsewhere I think players might choose to do so if this abuse and negativity continues.
I think fans are quite right to voice their concerns / views with players that are playing poorly but shouting abuse to a player who is almost out the door in 2 weeks time is just scum behaviour.

It must be hard enough having to think how half the city will treat you when out and about in Glasgow without having to worry about getting face to face abuse from your own side.

People always use the same of excuse of not trusting a team of players that has let us down time and time again and that’s somehow an excuse for the negativity. When you actually look at the team it’s what 3 players that have been here longest that people say is a core of players, Tav, Goldson and Lundstram. Those three get the brunt of the criticism even though it’s the recruitment that is the reason we’re not winning league titles.

They have beaten us in previous seasons is only down to a lack of quality throughout our squad, that gap is still there. We still lack quality in attack and midfield predominantly.

See the absolute idiot (and believe me I want to call him something else but no sure I’ll get a ban for it) that got into an argument with Butland. Get him identified and get his baws booted.

Absolute clown.
What is Butland getting abuse for?

Would you not agree that professional athletes can be different in personality and different things motivates them to perform to their optimum.?
Also their perceived value in the squad and contract situation can also affect performance or ability to perform.
In short there are variables.
What I am saying is that criticism whether deserved or not can affect players performance.

Nearly every manager I have heard speaks positively about the effects supporters can have on games.
Even a few weeks ago Clement was speaking about the subway loyal and asking them to stay for 90 minutes to give support.

So for me unquestionably supporters can impact positively on team performance and equally negatively especially when unduly critical.
What is that players talk about on European nights at Ibrox.

At this crucial stage in the season surely supporters can be encouraging to the team instead of demeaning them.

Of course I don’t disagree there are a variety of factors which play into player mood and form, and supporters can have an impact but as much as we like to pretend otherwise a “12th man” can only go so far.

If the players don’t have it, the players don’t have it. And past experience tells us this squad don’t have it as far as a close run league campaign goes.

Much like the team's confidence, our solidarity with them fell apart after the RC and Dundee results. Unfortunately we've seen this late season demise one too many times and as a support we are shell shocked.

This doesnt excuse the behaviour towards Butland and Borna but maybe explains the frustration many are feeling.

As DE says though, a win for us at the piggery, and going on to bring home the title, would transform them into heroes

This season the negative feeling has been as bad as I can remember.

We are in a great position where if we win 4 games can win a treble.

Problem is 2 of them games are against celtic and we can't seem to beat them when it matters.

My feelings is that cos we can't beat them the fans have lost belief and turned on a lot of the players.
The lack of belief the fans have in the players stems from the lack of belief of the players themselves.
Sunday, Killie down to 10 men and a chance to make a dent in the goal difference. Our players showed nothing for the last 20 minutes.Most were happy to see out time.

I think fans are quite right to voice their concerns / views with players that are playing poorly but shouting abuse to a player who is almost out the door in 2 weeks time is just scum behaviour.

It must be hard enough having to think how half the city will treat you when out and about in Glasgow without having to worry about getting face to face abuse from your own side.
See when we drop points now its a lot more annoying listening to our own fans than anyone elses.

I don’t even want to think how bad a listen it is for players and their families.

I think the examples of Silva,Borna,Butland on a game we won is a massive worry unfortunately.

People always use the same of excuse of not trusting a team of players that has let us down time and time again and that’s somehow an excuse for the negativity. When you actually look at the team it’s what 3 players that have been here longest that people say is a core of players, Tav, Goldson and Lundstram. Those three get the brunt of the criticism even though it’s the recruitment that is the reason we’re not winning league titles.

They have beaten us in previous seasons is only down to a lack of quality throughout our squad, that gap is still there. We still lack quality in attack and midfield predominantly.
Most of these games against Celtic and the dropped points against Ross County and Dundee ( i hear about every 15 seconds) our forward line and sitters they miss are an absolute disgrace.

This is potentially the most negative I've been watching Rangers. Do I want to feel like this? Course not.

The players should be able to respond to the negativity they've created with their performances. Sadly they seem incapable.

We effectively done that last season
McGregor,Arfield,Kent,Morelos,Sakala were big players for Rangers and fans weren’t happy with the new recruits ( Butland) aside.

I am actually looking forward to seeing players I actually like and have had good to very good contributions being replaced this summer to see what we bring in better.

What if that doesn’t work? Another rebuild and hunt out players that have been more than 2 years again?

That's why it's so important to back the manager.

Given the game is run by and for Celtic we need to be near perfect to win the league.
It took two years of drilling and coaching by Gerrard and his team to get it all to click and the reward was there.

There needs to be a separation of supporter actions. Idiots having a go at players in person or directly via social media need to see the damage their actions cause. Having a moan on FF or with your mates is completely different.

I had a thread closed on Sunday after the game as I believed we didn’t display the appropriate mindset needed to win this league. I stand by what I said, we needed to be more ruthless and show more aggression. That doesn’t make me a lesser supporter (I’ve followed Rangers all over the country and Europe for over 30 years).

I have serious doubts about Saturday. I have real concerns we’ll do our usual: Gift them a goal and won’t take our chances.

I don’t see that as being negative, I see it as me sharing my opinion. I really hope I’m wrong.
Careful now.Such negative thoughts will have a negative effect on our players.Can't be having that can we?

Its just part of the territory for players and fans alike.
Pre Souness , the crowd simply didnt go to watch shite.
Post Souness and the Season Tkt business and the price in general has fostered the feeling that fans 'own' the players.
Couple that with Social Media and its hard to escape opinions of all types.
including this one!

And of course players wages!

Too many have given up on this title.

Babies who have thrown their toys out of the pram.

They are whining about "goal difference" and "blowing it against Ross County and Dundee".

There are 3 games left. We are 3 points behind. Win against Celtic at the weekend and we are level on points. If we DON'T win, guess what. We didn't deserve to do it as we wouldn't have beaten them once all season. That's how it goes sometimes.

Folk need to work out how to seal with that fact!

If we DO win though Celtic will go from "having fun" at what they hope will be their unofficial title party, to needing a 100% Record AND good goal difference against St Mirren and Killie (who have both taken points off them this season!)

That will be HUGE pressure for them, to go from that loss and immediately travel to Rugby park, and with the mental shock of an old firm loss, they may very well struggle.

If we win at the weekend - ANY WIN - It's all to play for! We need to get behind the lads as our boys need us (and specifically they need us not to be entitled, whining babies!)

This season the negative feeling has been as bad as I can remember.

We are in a great position where if we win 4 games can win a treble.

Problem is 2 of them games are against celtic and we can't seem to beat them when it matters.

My feelings is that cos we can't beat them the fans have lost belief and turned on a lot of the players.
The truth is players and managers who continually lose to them will feel the heat no matter what. There’s no scenario that Rangers fans can turn the other cheek to that. It simply doesn’t work

Too many have given up on this title.

Babies who have thrown their toys out of the pram.

They are whining about "goal difference" and "blowing it against Ross County and Dundee".

There are 3 games left. We are 3 points behind. Win against Celtic at the weekend and we are level on points. If we DON'T win, guess what. We didn't deserve to do it as we wouldn't have beaten them once all season. That's how it goes sometimes.

Folk need to work out how to seal with that fact!

If we DO win though Celtic will go from "having fun" at what they hope will be their unofficial title party, to needing a 100% Record AND good goal difference against St Mirren and Killie (who have both taken points off them this season!)

That will be HUGE pressure for them, to go from that loss and immediately travel to Rugby park, and with the mental shock of an old firm loss, they may very well struggle.

If we win at the weekend - ANY WIN - It's all to play for! We need to get behind the lads as our boys need us (and specifically they need us not to be entitled, whining babies!)
You were the phrase "panty wetters" away from a full house on absolute delusion bingo.

The supporters tanked our season at Ross County and Dundee?

Dullest take on here, blaming the fans for the teams failings. Seems to be a narrative some folk just want to cling on to for some reason.
While that's absolutely true. That doesn't mean the op doesn't have a point the way some people abuse our own players is a disgrace and counter productive during a game.

This is potentially the most negative I've been watching Rangers. Do I want to feel like this? Course not.

The players should be able to respond to the negativity they've created with their performances. Sadly they seem incapable.
Problem, we've not made a massive improvement, it's them that's went back the way in allowing us back in.

We were never going to go on an unbeaten run till the end of the season. Actually the balls in their court, they're nothing great, but still better than us. The gap has certainly closed, between us, but we're still not there.

I hope I'm proved wrong, but deep down and by reading some of the posts, I think we'll be reading the same stuff next year, just as we do more or less every year

I have no idea who the new players will be that we bring in but I do know none will be of the class of say, Gary Stevens and David Robertson as our 2 full backs. Same through the whole team tbh.

Never mind them rats winning more trophies, we will end up watching them going for 10 once more. There is no stability at Ibrox and hasn't been since 2012.

Read the OP only.

Enough to convince me it’s the fans fall we have a team of cowards who think they’re better than they are.

I’ll need to give my ST up now.

Basically IMO our supporters are having a negative impact on our team performance going into a crucial stage of the season.
We have Barisic and Butland involved in verbals with supporters when they were doing supporters a favour by signing stuff.
Add in Silva giving some back after scoring a goal presumably to criticism from some supporters.
The thread is not designed to engage in the reasons behind the criticism the players are receiving.
Well that's awfully convenient.

Course, easiest way to turn that mood is to win on Saturday. It’s in the players hands.
If we don’t win the league, next Saturdays game won’t be the root cause.

Too many supporters use the success of Rangers as a crutch for the meaning of their life and their emotions - they probably enjoy results but hate the games as they are too stressful- raging at going a goal down or missing a chance.

Passion is wonderful for fans - perspective is invaluable.

Yeah fans just need to keep coughing up the money and stay quiet. Doesn’t matter if the players can’t stand the heat and can’t get the job done against the likes of County and Dundee, just let them tank and shut up and keep your feelings and opinions to yourselves.

Bonkers thread but a good one for fans who’re content with second place now days and get their blood pressure up at other fans who don’t find the status quo acceptable.

Last edited:
Has this league been won by anyone yet?
Yes, the league is won. The players have bottled it. It’s beyond optimism to expect this team to be able to win the league. Even if they got gifted the chance of only needing a draw in the last game of the season they will fail that also.

Not really what you said when I replied though was it.

When the players can still win things, the players get support, but it is mixed with a nervousness that they have let us all down countless times.

They fail to win the title, another collapse by the same core group of players, having a title in hand and pissing it away, the same players bottling big moments, then of course the criticism will be warranted and the fans will be correct to demand the same players are let go, otherwise you are going into another season with players you cannot trust.

It doesn't make you an entitled cretin, it makes you a realist that there is time for a change.

Some of our fans are like a battered wife, just hoping that one day they might change, well on the evidence they haven't and unless you are happy to continually accept 2nd place, then wanting certain players replaced doesn't make you any less of a supporter than someone who wants the opposite, its the type of supporter we need while the ones happy to accept 2nd best should maybe switch allegiances to Partick and celebrate the odd win and whistle and be on there way when they lose every 3rd game.
Timing is everything.
Even if I agree with a lot that you say it is not time appropriate to whine about such matters when we have a chance however remote of winning a treble.
Clearly the negative stuff from supporters has got to the playing squad and not helpful.

You don’t think supporters can help to reinforce the concept of belief.
In recent years in Europe we have beaten teams from better leagues.
On nights like that home and even away supporters have generated a positive atmosphere and given belief.
We as supporters generate belief and players buy into it and improves performance.

Works sometimes and sometimes doesn’t but no doubt enhances players performance more often than not.
I can’t remember criticism ever being positive and edgy players at the weekend even star players like Butland shows the dressing room is not a happy place just now.
If every fan turned up to every game in a pre-Leipzig mindset, then yes obviously that would make a difference. But you're living in a fantasy land if you think that's the way it works here or anywhere else.

The atmospheres during our Europa run were made possible by a genuine belief in the team. That belief came performances on the pitch, especially Dortmund away which really seemed to change something.

Ultimately the raw emotion that makes football unique is impossible conjure up on command. Fans are human - we go through the motions, but it's not the same as actually feeling it.

Yes, the league is won. The players have bottled it. It’s beyond optimism to expect this team to be able to win the league. Even if they got gifted the chance of only needing a draw in the last game of the season they will fail that also.
In an away match we always do well at?

Of course I don’t disagree there are a variety of factors which play into player mood and form, and supporters can have an impact but as much as we like to pretend otherwise a “12th man” can only go so far.

If the players don’t have it, the players don’t have it. And past experience tells us this squad don’t have it as far as a close run league campaign goes.
We have 4 games left and these same players since Clement came have improved our position in the league considerably.
It is not impossible to suggest that we can win those games.
Unlikely however as it may be.
Without hope there is nothing and we can simply reconcile ourselves for them to be top dogs for the foreseeable future.
I prefer to encourage rather than dismiss.

Timing is everything.
Even if I agree with a lot that you say it is not time appropriate to whine about such matters when we have a chance however remote of winning a treble.
Clearly the negative stuff from supporters has got to the playing squad and not helpful.

Yeah that will be it, fans backed them all the way through both Ross County and Dundee games, until full time

This is 100% on the players, to try and put blame on fans is nuts

I honestly think there is a few posters on here and definitely on X that would be more disappointed than Celtic fans would be if this squad wins the league.
Come on.
You don't seriously believe that.

Yes, fans are sick fed up of it and many expect the worst but we'll all celebrate like crazy in the unlikely event it happens.

Completely agree, this isn't about saying the players can't be criticised, but the venom people think they feel justified in having as they shout at players is quite frankly disgusting.

Because players get paid alot of money & you pay your money for a ticket, it doesn't give you carte blanche to be a c*nt. Or at least it doesn't if you're actually a fan.
I hate this world we live in. Keyboard warriors and plastic hard men, thinking they can say it do anything with zero consequence. I'm 62 years old and I am still in awe when I meet anyone, I mean anyone ever connected with Rangers. Sure, I can criticize as much, if not more than others but at the end of the day I grew up to show respect. That's all it is respect a value very much list in today's internet world

If every fan turned up to every game in a pre-Leipzig mindset, then yes obviously that would make a difference. But you're living in a fantasy land if you think that's the way it works here or anywhere else.

The atmospheres during our Europa run were made possible by a genuine belief in the team. That belief came performances on the pitch, especially Dortmund away which really seemed to change something.

Ultimately the raw emotion that makes football unique is impossible conjure up on command. Fans are human - we go through the motions, but it's not the same as actually feeling it.
Not living in a fantasy land but personally and I do not seem to be alone think while the possibility of success exists we should back the team.
Is that too much to ask for or do just you prefer to wallow in misery.
It just needs one unlikely thing to happen on Saturday and the tide can turn.
Keep believing said Marvin and I prefer to adopt that mantra rather than resign ourselves to a negative fate.

Whether that happens or not is almost irrelevant as there will be plenty of time to reflect on shortcomings as we see it.
Just now is not the time to capitulate or reflect.
Unfortunately negativity has impacted the squad hopefully not terminally.

Basically IMO our supporters are having a negative impact on our team performance going into a crucial stage of the season.
We have Barisic and Butland involved in verbals with supporters when they were doing supporters a favour by signing stuff.
Add in Silva giving some back after scoring a goal presumably to criticism from some supporters.
The thread is not designed to engage in the reasons behind the criticism the players are receiving.

However it is for people to consider the negative impact that criticism is having on our players with 4 games to go which could possibly end up in winning a treble.
It may be unlikely but still possible:
You would want our players to be in a positive frame of mind but undoubtedly our players are on edge even our player of the year Butland.

In summary we should be collectively behind the players be loyal and be a positive force to try and bring success.
It would be naive to believe the players are not aware of what is happening on Social media and I have to say some of the comments on here about players are toxic and cogently negatively impacting the squad IMO.
I’m sure many on here will say they need to man up and it’s part of being a Ranger and while there is some truth in that players are human and surely we should be behind the team especially when going for the treble:

I remember the Ally Ally GTF days but this essentially was when the team were languishing in mediocrity and not as we are now chasing success.
A grip on reality and positive support from now to the end of the season would be nice.
Consider the harm you are doing to the club you profess to love and support.
I'm not saying you're wrong, and I know your point is addressing the bigger picture, as well as antics outside the stadium. However, look at the two OF games at Ibrox and the M'Well game.

Both OF games the atmosphere was incredible before kick off. The 1st game we were all over them at the start and the crowd were as loud as I've heard Ibrox. We were rewarded with Goldson sh*ting the bed and them taking 3 points. 2nd game was similar, only this time it only took 20 odd seconds to let them score. Then after making it 2-2 and the crowd backing the team they let them run up the pitch and make it 3-2.

Then you have the M'Well game. Tav scores the pen and the place is buzzing. Everyone believes Rangers will go on to win it. And yet as soon as we'd equalised we looked worse. Players were misplacing passes. Not tracking runners. Goldson defending was an absolute disaster. And inevitably M'Well scored a 2nd.

I get the point you're making, but some on here seem to think that the positivity of the fans some how magically fuels the players, like how Christmas spirit makes Santa's sleigh fly :rolleyes:

Back