The others bypassing Diomande

weefree

So frustrating that we don’t use this guy properly, we should be looking to get him on the ball every time we regain possession, just doesn’t happen.
Watch back the three minutes between our goal and theirs today if you can face it, Diomande constantly showing for a pass, finding space and gesturing to teammates, and not one player chose to pass to him. Maddening, the guy has great feet, can turn on a sixpence, and is always looking for the forward pass, but we might as well have taken him off in the first half if we’re just switching it from Tav back across Lundstram, Balogun and Souter to Barisic and repeat.

Seen it today, he tried a give and go with Lundstram, took up a great position for the return pass to move forward.

Lundstram of course, stopped, turned back and played it to Souttar. Could see Diomande was pissed off.
This was infuriating. It wasn't even a hard pass either, you were talking 5 yards and it cuts out their midfield and puts us on the attack.

Picked up on that today. He looked in a great position, loads of space high up the pitch. It looked an easy ball for McCausland to play inside but instead played it back to defense who took an age to get it under control.

Picked up on that today. He looked in a great position, loads of space high up the pitch. It looked an easy ball for McCausland to play inside but instead played it back to defense who took an age to get it under control.

Was that the reverse pass on left hand side. I saw one of those and thought the blue jersey was in acres of space and instead it was the safe safe safe backwards pass.

Well he's had one window and brought in Diomande to start with. So you'd like to think in the next window he'll continue to add players of a similar quality that will elevate the level of the squad.
Yes, that's the hope.

For me he only has the summer window to get it right. Or else the mentally challengeds will be heading for 55 this time next season.

Diomande is one for the future and hopefully CP will be able to sign players who can see that and our play will change. What worries me is Lundy keeps on playing every game. Souttar was a player who liked moving forward be now he is as bad as those around him. I hope for a good transfer window both in and out.

Seen it today, he tried a give and go with Lundstram, took up a great position for the return pass to move forward.

Lundstram of course, stopped, turned back and played it to Souttar. Could see Diomande was pissed off.

Was shouting at the TV at that, .... pass him the fukin ball Lunny ffs!

We need more quality in there beside Dio.
Shame Jack's season (Gers career) has been derailed by injury.
I'm not sure if Phil rates Raskin, we'll need 2 or 3 midfielders in, subject to outgoings.

Picked it out a couple of times today.
Once where he was available for a pass, probably from Barisic which would have taken out two St.Mirren players.
Barisic played backwards.
The other wasn’t a pass but when Diomande himself played backwards, he turned and demanded Lundstram came forward to receive the ball.
All in all, we need to get this lad the support he needs to get us on the front foot.

Diomande will be a very good player for us, but he's quite susceptible to the occasional brain-fart, giving the ball away needlessly in dangerous areas. He really needs to cut that out of his game.

His passing isn’t the best at times.

Too often today he was doing more pointing than actually making himself available. Took the easy option far too many times.

Managers tactics are brutal to be honest.

Hoof ball with a budget 10 x the opposition.

I hope it changes in the summer because what we're being subjected to at the moment would get the game banned.

No wonder teams like Benfica and PSV laughed at us and called us long ball merchants. We are.

We always did it a bit but since Clement came in it's basically all we do.

Someone on the other thread suggested he doesn't have the squad to play better football which he may well think, but it's St Mirren for god's sake.

This is another big reason why Lundstram should not be offered a new deal. Dio is a much better player and we should be looking at signing a midfielder that compliments Dio's play as he is the future.

You’re nothing if not consistent.

Is it the radio you watch the games on ?

He had 40 out of 50 successful passes today, 80%, that is his average for the season. Lundstram is at 88%, Jack is 86%, Cantwell at 84%, Lawrence 82% . He literally has the worst passing stats in our midfield.

Todays stats

Diomande

Touches 72
Accurate passes 40/50 (80%)
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (1)
Long balls (acc.) 7 (1)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 0
Lost possession 17
Clearances 1
Blocked shots 1

Lundstram

Touches 109
Accurate passes 74/88 (84%)
Key passes 3
Crosses (acc.) 1 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 9 (4)
Shots on target 2
Shots off target 2
Lost possession 18
Clearances 2
Blocked shots 1

Cantwell

Touches 52
Accurate passes 31/36 (86%)
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 2 (2)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 4
Lost possession 10
Clearances 0
Blocked shots 0

So frustrating that we don’t use this guy properly, we should be looking to get him on the ball every time we regain possession, just doesn’t happen.
Watch back the three minutes between our goal and theirs today if you can face it, Diomande constantly showing for a pass, finding space and gesturing to teammates, and not one player chose to pass to him. Maddening, the guy has great feet, can turn on a sixpence, and is always looking for the forward pass, but we might as well have taken him off in the first half if we’re just switching it from Tav back across Lundstram, Balogun and Souter to Barisic and repeat.
Hopefully that's not on Clement's tactics. Hopefully that's just because they've played together for so long that's it's ingrained into there dna. Because if we get a midfield/team next season with Diomande's talent and still take the slow approach then I won't be a happy chappy.

I hope it changes in the summer because what we're being subjected to at the moment would get the game banned.

No wonder teams like Benfica and PSV laughed at us and called us long ball merchants. We are.

Someone on the other thread suggested he doesn't have the squad to play better football which he may well think, but it's St Mirren for god's sake.
That's what I was just saying to the OP. Hopefully it's more of what the gaffer knows that this team is capable of, than him actually setting out to punt long balls up the park all day.

Someone said his Club Brugge team were so dynamic. As soon as they got the ball it was pass, pass and pass and they were in the opposition box. Total free flowing football. I've never actually watched his other teams but I'm actually going to do that when I get time. Surely they'll have a lot on Youtube

Pretty sure that led to the equaliser. Lundstram has regressed badly in the last month.

He had 40 out of 50 successful passes today, 80%, that is his average for the season. Lundstram is at 88%, Jack is 86%, Cantwell at 84%, Lawrence 82% . He literally has the worst passing stats in our midfield.

Todays stats

Diomande

Touches 72
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (1)
Long balls (acc.) 7 (1)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 0
Lost possession 17
Clearances 1
Blocked shots 1

Lundstram

Touches 109
Key passes 3
Crosses (acc.) 1 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 9 (4)
Shots on target 2
Shots off target 2
Lost possession 18
Clearances 2
Blocked shots 1

Cantwell

Touches 52
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 2 (2)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 4
Lost possession 10
Clearances 0
Blocked shots 0
In terms of Lundstram today, it's easy to rack up accuracy stats when you're continually playing 5 yard passes back to the centre halfs and taking zero risks.

That Lundstrum moment above also had me shouting at the telly. Need to rewatch it to see if there was a reason for not playing the ball to dio. Don’t think there was just typical Lunny negative play, funny when he did that Kamara came to mind. Another one who infuriatingly would play the safe option rather than move the ball forward at the right time.

Think Barry Ferguson in his second spell was also not shy of the backwards pass rather than taking the more attacking option.

If we are to get anything that’s left we need to reduce the negative play in midfield.

Todays stats

Diomande

Touches 72
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (1)
Long balls (acc.) 7 (1)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 0
Lost possession 17
Clearances 1
Blocked shots 1

Lundstram

Touches 109
Key passes 3
Crosses (acc.) 1 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 9 (4)
Shots on target 2
Shots off target 2
Lost possession 18
Clearances 2
Blocked shots 1

Cantwell

Touches 52
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 2 (2)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 4
Lost possession 10
Clearances 0
Blocked shots 0
Do you consider the direction and risk / reward of the passing when getting angry at stats? It's easier to pass the ball short and constantly sideways and backwards like Lundstram does, not taking any attacking responsibility.

Take it you don't watch much football and spend your time on stats web sites getting angry at the wrong thing.

This kind of thing happens dozens of times a game. Many of our players refuse any risk on their passes.
It goes back to Gerrard’s time when he was asking players to be braver on the ball. We got it initially under Clement where even Lundstram was looking to make forward passes most of the time, but as confidence has ebbed so to has that bravery and now we’re back to no risk passes for the most part.

This is where you have to look at the coaching and the training ground, I’m afraid.

I was raging with that.

Do you consider the direction and risk / reward of the passing when getting angry at stats? It's easier to pass the ball short and constantly sideways and backwards like Lundstram does, not taking any attacking responsibility.

Take it you don't watch much football and spend your time on stats web sites getting angry at the wrong thing.
It was Diomande's clever pass through to Tav that created the space for his cross for the winner too. He tries to play it forward more often than not which is riskier like you say.

He'd be in my team every week.

We need someone more dynamic next to Dio to get the best out of him and allow him to play off his new partner.

Stats can be twisted to make any point. Am sure there was a season where stat was something like Scott Brown had most successful passes in Champions League Group Stages. All 5 yard square passes but if you only looked at the stats alone you'd think he was Beckenbauer

Todays stats

Diomande

Touches 72
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (1)
Long balls (acc.) 7 (1)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 0
Lost possession 17
Clearances 1
Blocked shots 1

Lundstram

Touches 109
Key passes 3
Crosses (acc.) 1 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 9 (4)
Shots on target 2
Shots off target 2
Lost possession 18
Clearances 2
Blocked shots 1

Cantwell

Touches 52
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 2 (2)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 4
Lost possession 10
Clearances 0
Blocked shots 0
he tries harder passes. The pass that created the second goal missed out a player and got Tav played in for the cross. We need a bit of variation even if it gives the ball away a little more. Lundstram would have us playing in front of the opposition for 90 minutes.

Know exactly the one you mean. Got an eye roll from the wife for shouting at Lundstram. So frustrating. Lundstram's pass selection in general is really poor.

Get a deep lying midfielder next to him who is comfortable on the ball. His play will flourish. The idea we need a bruising ball winning midfielder next to him is pish.

My personal opinion the boy looks not a bad player sometimes wants too much time on the ball and passing leaves a wee bit too be desired sometimes

Dio is miles ahead of some of those plodders he has as teammates

Todays stats

Diomande

Touches 72
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (1)
Long balls (acc.) 7 (1)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 0
Lost possession 17
Clearances 1
Blocked shots 1

Lundstram

Touches 109
Key passes 3
Crosses (acc.) 1 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 9 (4)
Shots on target 2
Shots off target 2
Lost possession 18
Clearances 2
Blocked shots 1

Cantwell

Touches 52
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 2 (2)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 4
Lost possession 10
Clearances 0
Blocked shots 0
Dios passes are usually trying to attempt to make something happen and lunnys are usually just safe side or back passes. Pointless stats to post. I don't need to read the stats, I watch the games.

I think also, there's much more dynamism when Sterling is in midfield. He truly is wasted either as full back or out wide like yesterday. And yes, I realise injuries have played their part where he's been picked to play.

Silva is a waste of space, so I think it has to be McCausland for the rest of the games to give us width. And that'll be a tall order for the boy.

Of course, all this will probably mean the manager will have to rethink his tactics, as the balance of the team could be affected.

We get dragged into the style of play our of our opponents instead of enforcing our style of play upon them

I really wonder if the players are being pulled up on their pass completion percentages.

There is no other reason for the inane, pointless passes between defence and midfield.

It's brutal to watch, and I really started to notice it against Benfica at home when we were 0-1 down and had literally nothing to lose.

Todays stats

Diomande

Touches 72
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (1)
Long balls (acc.) 7 (1)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 0
Lost possession 17
Clearances 1
Blocked shots 1

Lundstram

Touches 109
Key passes 3
Crosses (acc.) 1 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 9 (4)
Shots on target 2
Shots off target 2
Lost possession 18
Clearances 2
Blocked shots 1

Cantwell

Touches 52
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 2 (2)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 4
Lost possession 10
Clearances 0
Blocked shots 0
90% of Lundstram's passes are back to the defence. If he can't make those passes then there's something wrong. To be fair there are times he's not even manged those passes. Diomande tries things. He passes forward. He'll lose the ball because of that but I'd rather that than 15 passes back to the defence before we hoof it up the field and lose it anyway.

Back