The others bypassing Diomande

Is it the radio you watch the games on ?

He had 40 out of 50 successful passes today, 80%, that is his average for the season. Lundstram is at 88%, Jack is 86%, Cantwell at 84%, Lawrence 82% . He literally has the worst passing stats in our midfield.

Todays stats

Diomande

Touches 72
Accurate passes 40/50 (80%)
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (1)
Long balls (acc.) 7 (1)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 0
Lost possession 17
Clearances 1
Blocked shots 1

Lundstram

Touches 109
Accurate passes 74/88 (84%)
Key passes 3
Crosses (acc.) 1 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 9 (4)
Shots on target 2
Shots off target 2
Lost possession 18
Clearances 2
Blocked shots 1

Cantwell

Touches 52
Accurate passes 31/36 (86%)
Key passes 1
Crosses (acc.) 2 (0)
Long balls (acc.) 2 (2)
Shots on target 0
Shots off target 4
Lost possession 10
Clearances 0
Blocked shots 0
I'd be cautious in interpreting passing stats - especially for midfielders who are meant to create.

A simple pass back counts as an accurate pass. A speculative attempt to pass through the parked bus, which is intercepted or blocked, counts as a missed pass. You could have 100% passing accuracy for every man on the pitch, playing safely and scoring 0 goals. In reality, a good team needs creative players who are willing to play lower % passes to try to break through defences and to try to take advantage when the game does stretch.

Managers tactics are brutal to be honest.

Hoof ball with a budget 10 x the opposition.

I hope it changes in the summer because what we're being subjected to at the moment would get the game banned.

No wonder teams like Benfica and PSV laughed at us and called us long ball merchants. We are.

We always did it a bit but since Clement came in it's basically all we do.

Someone on the other thread suggested he doesn't have the squad to play better football which he may well think, but it's St Mirren for god's sake.
It is a worry for me.

The fact that he wanted/wants to give Lundstram another contract is another.

I have reservations about the manager's style but he could still end the season with a treble.

Our play through the thirds is too slow, but when you've got Lundstram there slowing things down then playing long is the only way to get up the pitch it seems.

His passing isn’t the best at times.

Too often today he was doing more pointing than actually making himself available. Took the easy option far too many times.
It was Dio's drive and ball to Tav that created our second goal yesterday. He bypassed the easy pass to Cantwell, and played a riskier pass to Tav.

Was that the reverse pass on left hand side. I saw one of those and thought the blue jersey was in acres of space and instead it was the safe safe safe backwards pass.
They all seem shit scared of making a mistake so just take the easy option.

It needs to be sorted or we will have no chance of winning a title playing like that.

Seen it today, he tried a give and go with Lundstram, took up a great position for the return pass to move forward.

Lundstram of course, stopped, turned back and played it to Souttar. Could see Diomande was pissed off.
That got me going mad. Was great movement from dio and would have ripped St Mirren open

In terms of Lundstram today, it's easy to rack up accuracy stats when you're continually playing 5 yard passes back to the centre halfs and taking zero risks.
Percentage of successful passes isn't a very good stat tbh. Need to look at forward passing, direction of passing etc. As you say it's easy to build up stats playing safe.

He's two steps ahead of the rest of the midfield, which obviously isn't hard at the moment.

They're not bypassing him - they just don't know how to complement his play.

Felt like similar happened today yet again a lot of the times he got himself in good positions and calls for it yet players would rather bypass him and pass back or side to side.

Must be very frustrating for him.

It happened numerous times with various players today, makes you wonder why, do they not trust him ? Is it tactical ?

I thought we were getting a younger version of Kamara, but Diomande seems to mainly be on the periphery of play.

Does my tits in…the lad wants the ball all the time and it usually ends up going round his back for three or four unnecessary passes…you can see his frustration.

He’s alway looking for the ball to go forward when he’s not in possession too - it was actually pissing me off watching how much he was ignored by his teammates today.

Needs addressed

People have, maybe understandably got the blinkers on with this lad. He’s young and got all the time in the world to improve but he’s been absolutely terrible the last few games. Shouldn’t be anywhere near the team next Saturday.

I remember the same on here when Cantwell and Raskin came in.

He is clearly better off the ball than he is on it. He also takes the easy option too often at times looking to play it backwards and sideways,

That said I’d have him in the centre of the park next week purely for his athleticism

Noticed him doing this arms out thing today, particularly second half, and he got by-passed every time. Generally because he was doing it without finding the space to comfortably receive the ball.

He had a fine game today but he'd be better finding the space first before waving his arms about.

It happened numerous times with various players today, makes you wonder why, do they not trust him ? Is it tactical ?

I thought we were getting a younger version of Kamara, but Diomande seems to mainly be on the periphery of play.
I genuinely think they are just shitebags and don't believe in their own ability to make a basic, accurate, 15 yard forward pass. They revert to safety first, keep possession, don't try anything too risky, keep their successful passing stats up.

The other part of me doesn't think they are actually good enough or have the vision to see the pass, let alone complete the pass, we have a team full of utter mediocrity.

Noticed him doing this arms out thing today, particularly second half, and he got by-passed every time. Generally because he was doing it without finding the space to comfortably receive the ball.

He had a fine game today but he'd be better finding the space first before waving his arms about.
He wants the ball so he can dictate where it’s going at a quicker pace than we usually play at.

He’s quite clearly frustrated by the players around him who are just cruising and doing the same old same old.

There were a few occasions today when he had 20 yards of space and the ball went sideways or backwards.

He a pass to quick in the head for those around him IMO.

Does my tits in…the lad wants the ball all the time and it usually ends up going round his back for three or four unnecessary passes…you can see his frustration.

He’s alway looking for the ball to go forward when he’s not in possession too - it was actually pissing me off watching how much he was ignored by his teammates today.

Needs addressed
Will see far more from him once we see a proper partner in there for him and not John Lundstram playing walking football.

It was happening a lot in the second half but Clement kept trying to tell him there was a change of shape. He was essentially looking for Souttar and Davies to play high and do the job Lundstram and Diomande usually do, and for those 2 to push up behind the forward line.

As such Souttar and Davies were told to get the ball out wide but Diomande didn’t seem to get the message for a while and when he did he pushed up further.

I think he’s just a lad that wants on the ball constantly and to move it forward quickly with purpose. He’ll be a really key player for us next season

Will see far more from him once we see a proper partner in there for him and not John Lundstram playing walking football.
I’m one of his biggest critics but Lundstram had a great game for us today. I would have said he was MOTM.

Back