The Penalty

i wasnt confident at all, no matter who stepped up cos it just didnt seem to be our day and it proved so in the end

At what time is that deemed as more important than battering the back of the net to level the game?

Total revisionism occurring here.

After Tav’s misses, the overwhelming majority wanted Morelos on the penalties. Folk now trying to pretend they didn’t, just because he missed today.

Id rather we won the cup to be honest

And Tavs been super on penalties this season eh?

Morelos was the designated penalty taker since the last one Tav missed. Unfortunately the first penalty since then came around today.

Folk are looking for something that's not there.

If the captaincy means anything to you then why slaughter the captain over something that was nothing to do with him? Weird.

Defoe has missed NINE of the 29 penalties he has taken in his senior career.
Fair enough but I would still have been far more confident in him taking it than anyone else in blue today. The way things were going for morelos it was no surprise when he missed and Tav was overdue being removed from them.

Was anyone actually confident we would actually score it?

Will never criticise a player who has the balls to step up and hit a high pressure penalty .

Fair play to Alfie for stepping up.

At least that way Defoe would have got 1 touch of the ball.
The one time we actually got the ball to him in the box he wasn't far off making most of it. The problem was we started panicking after the penalty miss and were just throwing hopeful balls in the box

fd51e2de8671e4475faf3149a9f989e1.png

I dont think the player, the players on the park, the management, or any of the fans would have been confident.....i was thinking before he hit the keepers fav to save.

having said that if he had have just slipped into the other corner im pretty sure the bent officials would have decided to retake it.:)

Should have been re-taken. Keeper a yard and a half off his line and Collum looking right at him:

pic hosting

Don‘t have a problem with this tbh, the rule is an absolute shambles. We‘d have been raging if Shagger had saved one only for a re-take to be ordered.
It was a piss poor penalty from Alfie, a dream for a keeper

Who else wasn't confident?

If Tav has had any doubt the new penalty taker should have been chosen weeks ago. Morelos has never been the type to take a penalty he works on instinct.

A total joke to suddenly decide he takes them when you can see him getting more and more wound up.
I wasnt confident.

In fact, I didnt see it, I shut my eyes as I was convinced we weren't going to score it

As soon as I saw Tav give the ball to Morelos I went outside for a rollie.

Blood was boiling as it was, didn't need to add watching a penalty miss to it.

Don‘t have a problem with this tbh, the rule is an absolute shambles. We‘d have been raging if Shagger had saved one only for a re-take to be ordered.

It may have been a poor penalty but by the rules of the game it should have been re-taken.

Why is it so hard for our officials to enforce the rules?

And Tavs been super on penalties this season eh?

Morelos was the designated penalty taker since the last one Tav missed. Unfortunately the first penalty since then came around today.

Folk are looking for something that's not there.

If the captaincy means anything to you then why slaughter the captain over something that was nothing to do with him? Weird.
Cant believe someone is talking sense.

It may have been a poor penalty but by the rules of the game it should have been re-taken.

Why is it so hard for our officials to enforce the rules?

Becuase officials ( and just about everyone else in football) hate it and turn a blind eye to it more often than not.
You saw at the women’s World Cup what happens when it’s enforced to the letter.

I wanted Fredo to take, he missed not a lot more to say.

It unfortunately just turned into one of those days where nothing went the right way.

The blue side of the world and his wife wanted Tav off penalties so no complaints. We were just rubbish in front of goal today.

It was a shocking penalty.
Tav is our captain he should lead by example even if it was agreed beforehand the way Morelos was playing you could feel he was going to miss.
Sadly i feel we'll never see Morelos score against this mob in that moment he has to compose himself.

Called it getting saved before it was took.

Tav had to lead by example and show no fear, and giving the ball away showed the exact opposite

I think Tav was giving it to morelos for the wrong reason, to me morelos needs and will eventually score against them in open play before taking such an important penalty which Tav should have taken! Perhaps a wee word from super Ally might help as he has been there and done it?

Can’t argue on the Morelos thing. Awful penalty that you or I could have saved it was that poor. Rools is rools as they say though and Lurch moved off his line way too early.

I guess the point I’m making is that we shouldn’t let it go as ONE error by the officials when there were, in fact, two glaring mistakes.

We played well but simply couldn’t get the ball in the net through a combination of poor finishing, good goalkeeping and a small slice of bad luck. They got the break with their winner, which should never have stood in a month of Sunday’s.

Reactions: BWO
If not Tav it should have been Kent or Arfield for me

Arfield has missed 2 out of 6 penalties in his senior career.

Kent has never taken a senior penalty.

Morelos was 1 miss in 4. Before today.:(

Tav should have taken it but, from the sound of things, the Manager relieved him of penalty duties.

Apparently Alfie was our penalty taker today. Seen it elsewhere Gerrard has confirmed.

Back