Official The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Can we afford to spend on Miller the kind of fee Motherwell will be looking for or can we afford to lose out on another promising Scottish player?

Previous players we've bought from that level (Hastie, O'Halloran, Docherty) haven't made the grade with us and are they any better than McKinnon, Fraser, Rice who get very limited game time

I'd heard a rumour about Jack getting another year due to a feeling that we've misdiagnosed/mistreated him during this recent injury rehabilitation.

I had filed it under nonsense, as they say. Is your information coming from said rumour?
if Jack signs an extension it would need to be highly appearance based and on the condition he retires from Scotland.

The smart move may be to buy Miller and loan them Rice. Motherwell isn't a bad place to develop our better kids. They have a good pitch and I'd sooner loan to our own division.

Whether they would accept Rice or have the hump with him is another matter
Football recruitment is driven by stats now. If he's an attacking player he's had 19 shots at goal in the league 0 goals 2 assists that's not stats of an attacking player.

He's developing where he is you said in a previous post about him getting time if we need to pay £3m to get him he's not getting time.

He may be an attacking player who isn't ready for our level yet. If you look at the stats of young strikers never mind midfielders it's incredibly rare that they scored frequently. The expectations need adjusted for age. He looks a cracking young player to me and one we should be after.

Really we need, 2 wingers, a striker, 2 cm, 2 cd, lb, gk.

I actually think we will get decent money in. Probably well upwards of 30 mill for butland, lammers, ridvan possibly, Wright, potentially cantwell or Lawrence who knows. That's even before we talk about goldson or tav going to Saudi potentially.

Money will be there and I remember reading an interview where we budget for europa group qualification. The key is reducing the wage bill and getting more value for money. The ooc players before sales clear up alot so we do have the canvas for somewhat of a fresh start and I am excited by what koppen will be able to do this summer with some proper planning done during the season. The net has been cast wide so let's see how the analytical approach works.

I’m all for signing from our league but for me there’s only a handful of players that are either good enough/have the potential we’re looking for.

Mivoski, Miller and Watson.

if we start next season and Danny Armstrong is our first choice winger - it will be the same outcome as this season - he is not good enough to play week in week out and be the number 1 wide player at Ibrox.

Yeah spot on

I’m all for signing from our league but for me there’s only a handful of players that are either good enough/have the potential we’re looking for.

Mivoski, Miller and Watson.
I'd cut that down to one. Miller.

Miovski is ok, but would cost too much and has scored 1 goal in his last 10 games.

Watson needs a lot of development still.

Managers seem to want some sort of continuity within a squad no matter how big the changes being made are. We'll have some of the "old guard" still at the club next season.

in typical circumstances, i understand this.

however, when the biggest thing that you are trying to change is mentality, it doesn’t seem too preferable.

we’ve been conceding sloppy, early goals for about 3 years now, with the exception of the new manager bounces that increase concentration.

that just has to end for us to be able to build anything positive going forward

Armstrong would be no different to Jordan jones. I can see the appeal of taking a chance on a cheap/free youngster such as Barron, miller or a Watson but the likes of Armstrong aren’t actually better than what he have, have no resale value and get us no closer to where we need to be.
Agreed with this.

That’s the key point.

We have limited funds, we need players who will improve our first 11, if Miller is ready then absolutely, let’s get him and play him. But we can’t really afford expensive project players.
Are we rumoured to be interested or is it just talking on here ?

I'd cut that down to one. Miller.

Miovski is ok, but would cost too much and has scored 1 goal in his last 10 games.

Watson needs a lot of development still.
Agree with you on Mivoski, think he’s a good striker but Aberdeen would demand a premium. The other two I’d be keen to bring them in and send them on loan. Watson back to Kilmarnock and Miller to Hearts. Wishful thinking though.

Armstrong would be a good signing. Beale absolutely destroyed our wide options to the point that we've been plugging that gap all season with makeshift options like Sima, Lammers, Danilo at one point, Cantwell, Sterling and Silva.
We're going to need 3 or 4 wide players brought in over the summer and they cant all be starters. Armstrong would be a good option to have.

Can we afford to spend on Miller the kind of fee Motherwell will be looking for or can we afford to lose out on another promising Scottish player?

Previous players we've bought from that level (Hastie, O'Halloran, Docherty) haven't made the grade with us and are they any better than McKinnon, Fraser, Rice who get very limited game time

Miller will clearly have been watched by the club through the youth age groups when we were watching Bailey Rice and we took him. Bailey Rice can't get a sniff with us and Clement has already said publicly that he has to improve off the ball before he gets his opportunity.

Miller you're investing in the future in the hope he develops and we sell him on. He's had 1 full season and at 17 he's not going to come and play for us every week so how do you keep that development going given the B team are doing nothing bar friendlies. He's at the right club the now for his development they give kids a chance and were we to sign him it's just a different level for him. If the fee is anywhere near right for me we need to look elsewhere.

Miller can’t be that much better than rice and McKinnon,where he jumps them straight into the first team?? We’ve been plodding with a 2 man midfield headed by lundstrum and our young boys are stewing on the bench and B team.

Heard Danny Armstrong is very much a goer.

He's better than we have currently on right midfield, obviously his allegiances far from ideal but I think he'd be a decent signing.

Would have no problem with this. As a squad
Player I think he would be a really good addition. He’s got a nasty streak in him aswell which I think we lack. If the price was right then think it would be a good move

Miller will clearly have been watched by the club through the youth age groups when we were watching Bailey Rice and we took him. Bailey Rice can't get a sniff with us and Clement has already said publicly that he has to improve off the ball before he gets his opportunity.

Miller you're investing in the future in the hope he develops and we sell him on. He's had 1 full season and at 17 he's not going to come and play for us every week so how do you keep that development going given the B team are doing nothing bar friendlies. He's at the right club the now for his development they give kids a chance and were we to sign him it's just a different level for him. If the fee is anywhere near right for me we need to look elsewhere.
It would be a buy and loan scenario for me. Buy him with a view to the longer term and let him stay at Motherwell next season.

Honestly we need to hold our hands up and say we fucked it with Lewis Ferguson. What we would all give now for him to be in our midfield driving us forward. A rangers fan aswell.

I don't think Miller or Watson are at that level yet. Which is the problem. We don't have the money to go and spend 5mill on these two and not have them walk into the team.

The irony of this with the gaps we leave all over the camp.

Clement also said he needed more time in and around first team training. We surely need to be looking at start of next season to have a first team squad of around 18 seasoned pros and some youngsters to fill in.

We have done it before. If we don’t have that why have a youth set up at all.

First thing we need to do is bring in a new medical team.

Free transfers hopefully, but the status quo can't continue.

Actually Status Quo might manage our players' injuries better.

Honestly we need to hold our hands up and say we fucked it with Lewis Ferguson. What we would all give now for him to be in our midfield driving us forward. A rangers fan aswell.

I don't think Miller or Watson are at that level yet. Which is the problem. We don't have the money to go and spend 5mill on these two and not have them walk into the team.
Was Ferguson walking into the team when he was doing well at Aberdeen?

It's all about speculate to accumulate.

It's a double edge sword tho. If MacKinnon or Fraser were playing week in week out at a Motherwell or Killie or the likes, would they be just as good? It's the fear of bleeding in our own youngsters since we aren't doing great in the league.

It would be a buy and loan scenario for me. Buy him with a view to the longer term and let him stay at Motherwell next season.

If he was available for a decent enough fee then yeah would be the ideal scenario but if the £3m fee that was on here a couple of weeks ago is right then it wouldn't happen.

Clement also said he needed more time in and around first team training. We surely need to be looking at start of next season to have a first team squad of around 18 seasoned pros and some youngsters to fill in.

We have done it before. If we don’t have that why have a youth set up at all.

His comments about the youth the other night were quite alarming I thought. As a club we need to do more to bring through youth but said so many times only so much we can do.

The club trained bracket over 21 for Europe kills us and it means more reliance on trying to pick up Scottish players from elsewhere.

We need to fill a number of positions but I’d still rather go for quality over quantity. If there’s good money on the table for Butland I’d imagine we take it and re invest.

I think we need to push the boat out for Lennon Miller if he would come. He’s good enough already IMO to get in our midfield and along with Raskin, Diomande, Sterling and one other would fill the midfield depth sufficiently.

Sterling was a really good pickup from us, I wonder if there are anymore Chelsea rejects we could try snag. They have about a million players so there must be a few

Armstrong would be no different to Jordan jones. I can see the appeal of taking a chance on a cheap/free youngster such as Barron, miller or a Watson but the likes of Armstrong aren’t actually better than what he have, have no resale value and get us no closer to where we need to be.
Utter shite.
He a million miles away from Jordan Jones ffs

All this Miller talk do you see the club spending 3 million on him as thats the type of figure Motherwell will be looking for.
I definitely don’t which saddens me but he will go to the top I’m sure. He’s better than say a John McGinn at that age, better than Lewis Ferguson too.

Think Motherwell will want more than they got for Turnbull which probably rules us out.

Maybe we could come to a deal if Rice went back there for a loan.

I know there’s no guarantees in football but £3.5m down on Miller would be money in the bank IMO.

Don’t want Armstrong because I’d fear another O’Halloran situation. Apparently he’s a real bitter one and I wouldn’t have the like at our club again.
For every ohalloran there's a Neil mcann.

Bheasts don't care about this pish just look at there captain

All this Miller talk do you see the club spending 3 million on him as thats the type of figure Motherwell will be looking for.
Long gone are the days we take a team in this leagues best players for under 1m.

We go on and on about snapping up the best Scottish talent before they’re out of reach, if we want them we need to pay for them and realistically 3m for Miller is very reasonable.

We’ve wasted far more than 3m on far worse players from abroad or down south. The snobbery about Scottish talent needs to stop.

First money spent should be on investigating/researching why we as a football club have such a dire and 'astonishing' injury record. I know Clement has stated this will be happening but I hope it is priority.

I will admit to knowing little or nothing about our current medical team but if they are found to be not fit for purpose then spend money and transfer a capable medical team in. In fact the best that our finances allow.

And weed out possible new transfers who have a questionable past injury record.

Last edited:
First money spent should be on investigating/researching why we as a football club have such a dire and 'astonishing' injury record. I know Clement has stated this will be happening but I hope it is priority.

I will admit to knowing little or nothing about our current medical team but if they are found to be not fit for purpose then spend money and transfer a capable medical team in. In fact the best that our finances allow.

And weed out possible new transfers have a questionable past injury record.

i've posted on this elsewhere
its probably a combination of factors

1) pre-season clearly screwed us in this area
2) lack of squad balance meant that players were rushed back when not fully fit - latest example Sima
3) squad littered with players prone to recurring injuries (some the same injury, others just generally) - like Jack, Roofe, Balogun

Long gone are the days we take a team in this leagues best players for under 1m.

We go on and on about snapping up the best Scottish talent before they’re out of reach, if we want them we need to pay for them and realistically 3m for Miller is very reasonable.

We’ve wasted far more than 3m on far worse players from abroad or down south. The snobbery about Scottish talent needs to stop.

Its not snobbery it's a lazy line that always gets thrown about on here. It's Millers 1st full season as a professional he's 17 years old that has played 24 full games in minutes and still has a long way to go in his development. £3m is a lot of money for a player in those circumstances where it can still go either way for him at his age.

Realistically is he coming here to be a 1st team starter for that price? No so how do we continue his development at that age cause sitting on the bench does nothing for him.

Not moaning it is quite entertaining but i can never understand where the same posters get the idea from that if you sign from our league they cant be quality signings or good value. It just seems like rubbish from talksport at 4am.

You cant tell me Shankland would not be a great signing for this team or where Rangers are at this time.

Its not snobbery it's a lazy line that always gets thrown about on here. It's Millers 1st full season as a professional he's 17 years old that has played 24 full games in minutes and still has a long way to go in his development. £3m is a lot of money for a player in those circumstances where it can still go either way for him at his age.

Realistically is he coming here to be a 1st team starter for that price? No so how do we continue his development at that age cause sitting on the bench does nothing for him.

You play him for 30 mins most games until he develops beyond the ability of a starter. Then you play him 60 from the start. Or you leave him at Motherwell for a year but sign him on a 5 year deal. You need to trust them though. Play him when it's close not in 3-0 wins

You play him for 30 mins most games until he develops beyond the ability of a starter. Then you play him 60 from the start. Or you leave him at Motherwell for a year but sign him on a 5 year deal. You need to trust them though. Play him when it's close not in 3-0 wins
Understand that managers want to keep the likes of Wright fit but one of my big frustrations is when a game is out of sight and you see a 30 year old coming on while leaving 18 year olds on the bench. Get them some experience.

Back