Official The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Did you get a good look at his ears? Did he give off a “I’m here to score 25 league goals next season” vibe, or was he dressed in a more “im a box to box midfielder who will move on for millions” sort of fashion? Or was it Josh Magennis in a wig to throw us all of the scent?

Don't know that much was too busy watching my wean wearing the number 1 for the famous Glasgow rangers

Sitting here laughing away to myself at people in this thread still saying Shankland isn’t good enough for us.

And for the hard of thinking, we probably need 4 strikers so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that both Shankland and Dessers are in our squad next season.

Danilo
Dessers
Shankland
+1 more

Title winning teams always need at least 4 and we’ll be losing Lammers/Roofe.

Needing it and having the money to sign 2 strikers on top of…

GK
RB
2x LB’s
2x CB’s
2x CM’s
RW

…will remain to be seen.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion of me being happy with 2nd from the point I am making. Dessers will score goals in the league for us as he's shown this season but if someone of better quality is available go and sign them is what I am saying.
The post of yours I quoted stated that you thought he fitted our system and has done fine.

From that you must be happy with being in second place. The system hasn’t worked and he has missed a narrow load of easy chances, as well as hindering the team in the first half of the season. We will never win a title with Dessers as our main man up front, and he cost and is paid far too much to be a backup player.

Sitting here laughing away to myself at people in this thread still saying Shankland isn’t good enough for us.

And for the hard of thinking, we need 4 strikers so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that both Shankland and Dessers are in our squad next season.

Danilo
Dessers
Shankland
+1 more

I can see the logic in Shankland if we're going more medium term in other positions and that on the European stage he is unproven and we're accepting that fact. He'd certainly bag more goals than what we get out of Dessers currently at least but I just don't know what a "sensible" fee is.

And for the hard of thinking, we probably need 4 strikers so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that both Shankland and Dessers are in our squad next season.

Danilo
Dessers
Shankland
+1 more

GK
RB
2x LB’s
2x CB’s
2x CM’s
RW

…will remain to be seen.
Title winning teams need 4 strikers if you play with 2 up front.

I’m not sure that’s the case when you play with 1 up front like we do.

The 4th will rarely ever get game time.

I think if we are to sign Shankland then we would be looking at nobody else up front. However I’ve yet to see or read anything that suggests we are in the slightest bit interested in him.

I can see the logic in Shankland if we're going more medium term in other positions and that on the European stage he is unproven really. He'd certainly bag more goals than what we get out of Dessers currently at least but I just don't know what a "sensible" fee is.

Shankland has scored 5 goals in 10 games in Europe for Hearts so I wouldn’t say he’s unproven.

Danilo
Dessers
Shankland
+1 more

GK
RB
2x LB’s
2x CB’s
2x CM’s
RW

…will remain to be seen.
Would gladly settle for Danilo, Dessers and Shankland as our options tbh. Defence and midfield needs too much work to be spending big money on two strikers

this is what i cant get my head around Lammers a success so we take a hit Sima not playing for Brighton has a moderate success at Rangers we must pay whatever Brighton wants

Its the Rangers FF logic, constantly play down our own players valuations whist promoting others.

Danilo
Dessers
Shankland
+1 more

GK
RB
2x LB’s
2x CB’s
2x CM’s
RW

…will remain to be seen.
You heard Butland is off then?

Given his performances outside of Holland, and given the state of finances in Holland - we’re basically hoping AZ or Twente want him if we are to receive anything over £1.5m. Who in Holland has £3.5m to spend? The top 3 won’t want him.

I dont have access to each teams financials but Im willing to bet a few teams in the Netherlands would be interested in Lammers given his achievements since January.

Whart asset doesn't leave the SPFL for the Prem on that basis though?

Plenty of players would leave to become part of an EPL squad.

Given Butland’s recent history of being on the bench, though, I’m guessing he doesn’t want return to that situation. Thus, I’m curious which team(s) is interested and offering the opportunity to be #1.

I don’t want to state the obvious, but we had a thread on Shankland that had about 10k posts. What else can be left to be said? Other than the fact he’s been shite every time we’ve played Hearts and Clement clearly doesn’t fancy him. Surely that topic has been done to death.

I don’t want to state the obvious, but we had a thread on Shankland that had about 10k posts. What else can be left to be said? Other than the fact he’s been shite every time we’ve played Hearts and Clement clearly doesn’t fancy him. Surely that topic has been done to death.

I genuinely do not care how he plays against us.

Do we just ignore and then forget the 30 odd goals he’s scored this season including many against Celtic over the last two seasons, something none of of strikers can do regularly just because he’s not been great against us?

I dont have access to each teams financials but Im willing to bet a few teams in the Netherlands would be interested in Lammers given his achievements since January.
Yeah there will be, but no team in Holland (outside the top 3) has ever spent more than about a million quid on a player - other than AZ and Twente. That’s my point.

No doubt Utrecht, Sparta, NEC etc will all want him - but it’s like asking Aberdeen and Hearts to stump up £4m for someone. Just isn’t happening.

Danilo
Dessers
Shankland
+1 more

GK
RB
2x LB’s
2x CB’s
2x CM’s
RW

…will remain to be seen.
Exactly. POTY

It’s us all over though.

Get a ridiculously good keeper in. Neglect the defence

Then sell the ridiculously good keeper to probably downgrade. Then upgrade the defence

We just can’t have both eh :D

I genuinely do not care how he plays against us.

Do we just ignore and then forget the 30 odd goals he’s scored this season including many against Celtic over the last two seasons, something none of of strikers can do regularly just because he’s not been great against us?
I don’t watch Hearts unless they’re playing against us, so it’s pretty tricky to offer up a valid assessment. The constant flogging of the Shankland horse when it’s beyond obvious the club have zero interest is a bit much - given the flogging is pushing tens of thousands of attempts.

With injuries this season and so many chances missed we need 4 strikers which gives us options in any game/scenario.

We simply don't have the cash at the moment to spend money on Shankland retain Dessers, hope Danilo becomes fit AND buy a 4th striker of note.

There's other areas absolutely needing addressed badly as more of a priority.

We can't carry 4 strikers in a 22 man squad either I would suggest.

I don't think our injuries this season are something we should be looking to repeat and shell excessive money at 29 year olds due to either.

Shankland's a very decent player and in another time, might have been an option for us but I really don't think it's the best use of our transfer budget or wages.

In a year, if it's on a free absolutely.

Last edited:
Yeah true that is fair enough. The standard of teams they played versus what we will is lower, but it's certainly a good return.
He played well and scored for hearts in Europe this season. It was in the European conference league though, but still up against a decent standard, not too much different from what we will be up against unless we make the champions league. He's also scored a fair few against us and the bheasts with minimal service. I think he'd be a worthwhile signing if we could get him for 2m or under, I doubt hearts would sell for that though even with a year left on his contract.

I don’t watch Hearts unless they’re playing against us, so it’s pretty tricky to offer up a valid assessment. The constant flogging of the Shankland horse when it’s beyond obvious the club have zero interest is a bit much - given the flogging is pushing tens of thousands of attempts.

You have no idea if that’s the case.

There's been rumours for a while now that it's pretty much done and he's off to an EPL team.

One of the guys who broke the news of him coming early on suggested it.

Whether it's true remains to be seen.

I think its lazy speculation TBH.

Butland will only want to go back South if he is getting games otherwise him moving to us has been pointless if he leaves to sit on a bench again.

I'd love to see how we do with him in goals and a stronger defence in front of him.

I think his form has every so slightly dipped as he has lost confidence in the players in front of him.

Butland will only want to go back South if he is getting games otherwise him moving to us has been pointless if he leaves to sit on a bench again.

I'd love to see how we do with him in goals and a stronger defence in front of him.

I think his form has every so slightly dipped as he has lost confidence in the players in front of him.

only so many times can he be exposed and pull off wonder saves

maybe easier to see if there is an EPL team where he would take the no. 1 keeper mantle ?

Multiple POTY awards this season actually B-D

We have been craving a striker like him for years now. Someone who routinely scores against all teams in our league yet some saying he’s still not good enough for our squad.

It’s utterly laughable.
Not for one moment saying we shouldn't take Shankland, but if you're looking for someone who scores against the rest of the teams in the SPFL...Dessers scored against 9/11 league opponents this season. Only teams he didn't score against in the league were Killie & Aberdeen.

Now I don't want Dessers leading the line next year, but not sure I'd stake it all on Shankland either

If Hearts are serious about Europe this season getting to a domestic final next season and qualifying for Europe again keeping Lawrence Shankland until his contract runs out is the best way to achieve all that goals ........

in my opinion £750,000 or even £1.5 million doesn't tempt hearts in January never mind this summer
That depends on Shankland's attitude towards the move

Not many Rangers fans would happily accept being denied the move and get on with giving 100% for Hearts every week.

Most would be sitting in the house with a tight hamstring until the move went through.

Danilo
Dessers
Shankland
+1 more

GK
RB
2x LB’s
2x CB’s
2x CM’s
RW

…will remain to be seen.
The way we pick up injuries, we will need a squad of 80.

Danilo
Dessers
Shankland
+1 more

GK
RB
2x LB’s
2x CB’s
2x CM’s
RW

…will remain to be seen.
Yilmaz and Jefte would be enough at left back surely?

I agree with this. Also, if his sale was agreed, there is no way Clement is in the media saying we have to keep him.

As one of the few assets we have, there is going to be noise every window.

I reckon the chance to play in the CL as a starter no matter how slim, should be enough to keep him

Back