Official The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Have you seen a striker (particularly one who cost the guts of £6 million) miss as many clear open goals in such a short period of time?

I haven’t (Dessers and Lammers excepted).

I’m not at all saying he’s useless, but anybody who doesn’t have real concerns over him being a main contributor here hasn’t been paying attention.

I've seen strikers that cost a lot more miss plenty of sitters in a short time, I reckon. Of course, given said price tags, they play at a higher level, so I'm not trying to compare abilities here, only saying that strikers who get into good positions tend to miss more than they score.

Havertz when he was at Chelsea, Nunez at Liverpool, Joselu at Real Madrid - very recent examples of top players who missed a load of absolute golden chances in front of goal, and I'm sure many more could be given.

I'm not arguing they weren't sitters, but the vast majority were saved by the opposing keeper, so not clear open goals as such.

Looking at the obligatory YouTube video doesn't fill me with hope for Cordoba. Just looks like a big carthorse who can bully people but turns slower than the QE2

Rather someone who can defend and bully people than watching Goldson and Davies being out muscled by the likes of Brophy, Simon Murray and the likes.

I don’t see the fascination with ball playing CB’s who are weak, crap at defending but comfortable in possession.

I want my CB’s to be fucking solid in every aspect of defending. Players that will put their bodies on the line and just concentrate on defending.

We aren’t getting players with all the attributes we demand. Those players don’t come to Scotland.

One of Rangers Rumours oracles has said no interest in the boy so we could have ourselves a site vs site ITK-off brewing!
That site very occasionally gets things right, Jefte was first mentioned on there for example, but it's almost never one of the supposed oracles that give a correct name, they just seem to be taken as gospel when they jump in after the fact.

You only have to get 1 of these signings correct to pay for the next players beale was absolutely rotten but if you sold butland and sterling you have the majority of your cash for the new signings

Any talk of where Maolida is going when he leaves Hibs? 11 goals since Jan. Only one year left on his contract with Hertha
He'd be a great signing on a sensible fee. Quite the career already, broke into and scored for Lyons first team as a teenager, moved to Nice for €10 million, struggled there, off to Hertha for €4 million, struggled there, smashed it in half a season at Hibs and now looking like he'll be moving again. If we could get him for €2 million or so I'd be all over it.

He'd be a great signing on a sensible fee. Quite the career already, broke into and scored for Lyons first team as a teenager, moved to Nice for €10 million, struggled there, off to Hertha for €4 million, struggled there, smashed it in half a season at Hibs and now looking like he'll be moving again. If we could get him for €2 million or so I'd be all over it.
Totally agree.

Rather someone who can defend and bully people than watching Goldson and Davies being out muscled by the likes of Brophy, Simon Murray and the likes.

I don’t see the fascination with ball playing CB’s who are weak, crap at defending but comfortable in possession.

I want my CB’s to be fucking solid in every aspect of defending. Players that will put their bodies on the line and just concentrate on defending.

We aren’t getting players with all the attributes we demand. Those players don’t come to Scotland.
Poor ballplaying defenders are the reason why our football is dreadful to watch right now, they're utterly incapable of playing through a press and as a result 9/10 when we have possession we resort to lumping it up the wings rather than into midfield (Lundstram has a lot to answer for for this as well).

I'd accept maybe having a slightly poorer quality defender if we could play from the back well, our current lot do neither

Ball playing centre half and box to box midfielder are the most made up, hipster nonsense things in modern football
Exactly. If you have a proper functioning midfield, your CH’s don’t need to worry about being the next Beckenbaur.

Goldson, Davies & Souttar are relatively comfortable on the ball. Without a midfield that offers protection, it ain’t worth shit,

Poor ballplaying defenders are the reason why our football is dreadful to watch right now, they're utterly incapable of playing through a press and as a result 9/10 when we have possession we resort to lumping it up the wings rather than into midfield (Lundstram has a lot to answer for for this as well).

I'd accept maybe having a slightly poorer quality defender if we could play from the back well, our current lot do neither

Souttar 88.3% passing accuracy, Goldson 86%, Balogun 83% and Davies 83.7%. We have centre backs who are very comfortable with the ball at their feet Souttar and Goldson previously are good ball carriers as well.

The direct play comes from Clement wanting us to get up the pitch quicker with pace in behind. We've played a lot of short bye kicks this season.

If Cordoba is a left sided centreback, he's not necessarily a goldosn replacement.

So what centrebacks do we think we'll keep going in to next season?

So I think it's safe to say that given the type of players we're getting linked with, our net is cast very, very far and wide.

Cordoba - a Panamanian playing in Bulgaria.

Rrahmani - a Kosovan playing in Romania.

Kiteishvili - a Georgian playing in Austria.

Hopefully this is a good thing (happy that there's not an EFL midfielder among 'em) but I guess time will tell. Also makes it seem less likely that the likes of Shankland, Armstrong etc are anywhere near Koppens list of targets.

Cordoba and Jefte if we get them both will be electric on the left, but will give away some number of goals!

Those who hate Tav have seen nothing yet.

Big risk taking centre back who likes to dribble out from the back like Bougherra and a converted left winger as our fullback.

Souttar 88.3% passing accuracy, Goldson 86%, Balogun 83% and Davies 83.7%. We have centre backs who are very comfortable with the ball at their feet Souttar and Goldson previously are good ball carriers as well.

The direct play comes from Clement wanting us to get up the pitch quicker with pace in behind. We've played a lot of short bye kicks this season.
The second they're up against a press their passing falls to shit though, no-one can dispute that, we have seen it for years now. Celtic will continue to press the shit out that defence knowing they'll crumble the second they have a man within 5 yard of them and right now those are the games that are costing us.

Like I said, Lundstram is to blame as well, he either is in line with the CBs or barely moving to give them options.

The second they're up against a press their passing falls to shit though, no-one can dispute that, we have seen it for years now. Celtic will continue to press the shit out that defence knowing they'll crumble the second they have a man within 5 yard of them and right now those are the games that are costing us.

Like I said, Lundstram is to blame as well, he either is in line with the CBs or barely moving to give them options.
Agreed. Forcing the pass to a player under pressure just so they no longer have it

Back