Official The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Poor ballplaying defenders are the reason why our football is dreadful to watch right now, they're utterly incapable of playing through a press and as a result 9/10 when we have possession we resort to lumping it up the wings rather than into midfield (Lundstram has a lot to answer for for this as well).

I'd accept maybe having a slightly poorer quality defender if we could play from the back well, our current lot do neither
I actually agree with both of you lol .

So we end up with capable ball players who make an occasional error and balance it out . What we can’t accept is CDs who are passive pussies that’s very much the wrong side of the line and I would argue we have two right now costing us fortunes in salary and results on top .

That’s very much unacceptable and while is unpalatable to many posters Id like both to go .

Re Jose Córdoba I think he looks a useful player from vids but of course I’ve never seen him but equally I don’t expect a flawless commanding CD who has grace and elegance too . That is pie in the sky denial .

We have a player who we are paying about 2-3m for on a lowish wage and hope to take him from his present level to a player who makes us a winning team . If he gets much better again we can make a trading profit too .

Thought that was his usual playing style,

He’s also had plenty of opportunities to change the formation and hasn’t.
Yes, he could have but did he believe the players could change with him?
Players that had been purchased with one system in mind, if that, can suddenly morph into another formation, just like that?
Oh so feckin simple, so it is.

Last edited:
Looks good, I don’t think the fee involved will be as high as some are saying.

Sparta Prague had €2.5m rejected allegedly.

€5m was their highest fee received and that was back in 2008, they’ve been relegated since then and come back up.

Sell Dessers and replace with Rrahmani.

Ralston made 18 appearances in the league.
Walsh, 14.
Taylor, 35.
Scales whilst not Scottish came from Ireland and made 34 league appearances.

Hardly world beaters.

Barron may be an option. Many fancy Shankland. Erhahon at Lincoln should be bought. Watson at Kilmarnock could be an option. Dundee have Cameron and a younger CB although he may not be Scottish? Daniel Armstrong has been mentioned.

Last summer we threw millions at foreign duds. I’d say the above names have had a better career in Scotland that Scott Wright pre Rangers. We need a squad. When our better players have been out the ones that have come in have been junk: Wright, Dowell, Matondo, Lawrence.

Would Shankland still be able to do what he does if he wasn't playing regularly? If Clement was to go for him, I couldn't see him being first choice striker for us. He looks like a player that needs to be playing most weeks to keep his fitness levels up.

Sassuolo relegated.

Wonder if we could get Doig

Has he not been fecked about a bit by APOEL?

If so, its unlikely to be anything other than a player given the info you have mate.

George Young was not a ball playing centre half but he was a very effective one.I know that times have changed and all that sort of guff but if a forward decided that he could speed past him, he would only do it once.
In Scottish football where everyone hates us and plays as if it was a cup final,we need a pair of big strong brutes who are good in the air and would run over their grannies if they had to. We don’t need more closemouth tanner ball merchants as we have enough of them already.

4231 supposed to be with fast Interchanging forward players.

It's long ball garbage and has been for the last 2/3 months.

He'd get football banned playing his current 'style'.

He absolutely has to change things around and make it faster with us passing through the thirds. What were currently doing will never win us a title. We basically don't use midfielders. It's brutal.

He absolutely has to change things around and make it faster with us passing through the thirds. What were currently doing will never win us a title. We basically don't use midfielders. It's brutal.
Don’t tell that to all of the posters that blame JL for our problems

We haven't half scored some cracking team and individual goals for only having played long ball garbage for the past 3 months. Keeping the thread to what it's supposed to relate to I really like the look of Cordoba. Physically dominant defensively but also very good at breaking forward with the ball at his feet and breaking the lines/pulling opposition players out of position.

I’ll take having a defender who is a good defender first and foremost, aka a helander type, over a ball playing centre back who is weak in the air aka Ben Davies type.

And even if cordoba isn’t the best at playing out, see if you have a deep lying midfielder in there it shouldn’t matter really, they are the key to building out from the back.

I’ll take having a defender who is a good defender first and foremost, aka a helander type, over a ball playing centre back who is weak in the air aka Ben Davies type.

And even if cordoba isn’t the best at playing out, see if you have a deep lying midfielder in there it shouldn’t matter really, they are the key to building out from the back.
Yeah I see it similarly there is a good ball playing left sided CD at Sparta Prague but I’m not sure we could attract him to the spl .

This all day long we need defenders who actually know how to defend

Got to love the fact that half of us are mad as f@&k and the other half love it
giphy.gif

He'd be a great signing on a sensible fee. Quite the career already, broke into and scored for Lyons first team as a teenager, moved to Nice for €10 million, struggled there, off to Hertha for €4 million, struggled there, smashed it in half a season at Hibs and now looking like he'll be moving again. If we could get him for €2 million or so I'd be all over it.
I'd rather avoid these types we've done this a few times and it's not really worked

A double signing inbound? Sofia to pick up Jose Cordoba and then Bucharest for Albion Rrahmani before flying onto London.

Note that the Paris flight was cancelled.

Due in Glasgow this morning…quite the coincidence if it’s not.

IMG-7906.jpg
In what respect? The players contracts do not expire until 30 June 2025 & 2026 respectively, so cannot talk to other teams without the clubs permission and arrangement on a fee and the Scottish transfer window does not open until 9th June and the Romanian 18th June.

Last edited:
He’s not really, we have had one fit striker and constant injuries to pretty much every position with exception of the keeper.

Not suggesting he would have changed it but he’s had p*sh luck
Silva was signed as a striker , We could hav we played 4-4-2 , 5-3-2 with the players available most weeks.

Pep here, for the vast majority of games in the SPFL, Rangers FC do not need to play 2 “defensive” midfielders, especially at home. It must be frustrating for their fans.

Gracias.
Aye?
The last time we actually had a functional midfield we had 3 "defensive" midfielders, Jack, Davis and Kamara.

Yes, he could have but did he believe the players could change with him.
Players that had been purchased with one system in mind, if that, can suddenly morph into another formation, just like that?
Oh so feckin simple, so it is.
It’s debatable we are better set up to play 5-3-2 especially when short on wingers , Silva was also signed as a striker so we could have played 4-4-2 I am sure all the players we signed didn’t play in a rigid 4-2-3-1 so your argument is void.

It's the injury that worries me. Not wanting to be a backup to someone as good as Gimenez isn't a crime for me.

Definitely got a bit of something classy about him but whether he can recapture that is another matter.
Jury still out on Danilo, he scored a couple of good goals, let’s see how he is.

You’ve got to feel for the guy - smashed cheekbone, & horrendous knee injury that put him out for the entire season.

Reactions: cav

It's not really. We had 122 attempts on goal and 15 goals in our last 5 games. We may be direct at times to get up the park but there's also a lot of decent football being played in the final 3rd.

In what respect? The players contracts do not expire until 30 June 2025 & 2026 respectively, so cannot talk to other teams without the clubs permission and arrangement on a fee and the Scottish transfer window does not open until 9th June and the Romanian 18th June.
Window means absolutely nothing. Can sign a player anytime you like, just can't play for you until you register him when window opens.

Can agree transfers whenever clubs like, just can't register the players with the FA's until the window opens.

Souttar 88.3% passing accuracy, Goldson 86%, Balogun 83% and Davies 83.7%. We have centre backs who are very comfortable with the ball at their feet Souttar and Goldson previously are good ball carriers as well.

The direct play comes from Clement wanting us to get up the pitch quicker with pace in behind. We've played a lot of short bye kicks this season.
Interesting stats, I presume they include the dozen or so tip taps (passes) to each other across the back 4 in every game before we advance a yard, then do it again!

Seriously though, we desperately need a robust refresh at centre back.

Back