Official The Summer 2024 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

One of my frustrations is the mindset / culture in the dressing room.

Can we change that without our so called leaders going ?
A slight worry I have.

No doubt we will recruit some gems this summer. But they come in to a dressing room environment where the standards accept celebrating draws, losing leagues & losing v celtic is the norm.

Some of them will make the same stupid mistakes Cantwell & Silva have made due to this.

How do we stop that?

Let’s hope you’re right. Butland only because he is a sellable asset that will command a decent fee. The rest need moved on along with many others.

I can't see how we aim to bring in 12 players & look to reduce squad size and the wage bill in the process (because it's obscene for the return we get) without getting rid of almost every big earner.

Anybody over 25 and on a big deal will be gone IMO. Even if means the likes of Lawrence going on loan and us paying half the wages for a year.

A slight worry I have.

No doubt we will recruit some gems this summer. But they come in to a dressing room environment where the standards accept celebrating draws, losing leagues & losing v celtic is the norm.

Some of them will make the same stupid mistakes Cantwell & Silva have made due to this.

How do we stop that?
Lundstram going
Goldson likely also

Tavernier could be the only one of the leadership group left. And even at that, this could be a season that sees him phased out.

If Chris Jack is right and it's 12 players(and let's think how mental that even is considering we have spent over THIRTY MILLION POUNDS in the past two years to get in this state) then it says to me that means Clement is not messing around or half arseing this. This is all in stuff.

This squad is finally receiving the sort of treatment it shoud've got two years ago.

I don't think there will be any of the big dog players left at Ibrox come September.

Tav, Goldson, Cantwell, Butland, Lundstram - I expect them all to be gone at this rate for a variety of reasons.
I am all for the Clement revolution and I believe in him as our manager*, let me say that outright.

However, I am slightly concerned that there are scant few examples/precedents for an entirely new squad to gel together and deliver instant success. If it is possible, I think a commanding leader of men on the pitch, a true captain, will be absolutely mission critical for any success.

Last edited:
A slight worry I have.

How do we stop that?

That's the same fear i have TMR.

Tav & Goldson have both overall been good for us, but i've seen so many big matches in the last 2 years where they haven't seemed capable of rising to, and because they are deemed our leaders, what impact does that have on younger players ?

The last two games at Parkhead, when true mentally strong men are needed, only Sterling & maybe Ridvan to an extent rose to the challenge, with our keeper of course.

I am all for the Clement revolution and I believe in him as a man, let me say that outright.

However, I am slightly concerned that there are scant few examples/precedents for an entirely new squad to gel together and deliver instant success. If it is possible, I think a commanding leader of men on the pitch, a true captain, will be absolutely mission critical for any success.
I couldn't care less how long it takes a new squad to gel and deliver success if it means getting this failure of a squad out the door once and for all.

I am all for the Clement revolution and I believe in him as a man, let me say that outright.

"I believe in him as a man"

Not as a football coach or manager but as a man

Your one for watching

Lundstram going
Goldson likely also

Tavernier could be the only one of the leadership group left. And even at that, this could be a season that sees him phased out.

Won’t be popular but I’d like to see him stay this season and be phased out next year leaving with a testimonial.

He’s fatigued from having both the creative and goalscoring burdens from Fcking right back.

An incredible signing and player.

Why does it have to be instant ? we want to see a young hungry team who looks as though its going somewhere and get rid of the losers that are bringing the club down.

We shouldn't be expecting instant success but we should be expecting progress.

Last edited:
Even if we don't win the league next season all we want to see is progress in the 1st season with a full new team, if we build a really good team who beat them a few times next season but don't win the league but then go onto win 3 leagues in a row then that's what we want.

Progress and an identity is the main thing here, it might take 2 or 3 windows but it also could happen in one window, its not impossible.
Completely agree. I think or at least would like to think the fans would appreciate if we fell short if there was wholesale changes and a real identity about the squad.

Why does it have to be instant ? we want to see a young hungry team who looks as though its going somewhere and get rid of the losers that are bringing the club down.
Exactly.

We’ve tried to the short term approach, paying crazy wages for players with zero resale value.

If we are now building with a long term vision, and we witness stark improvements I am more than willing to be patient. Like we were with Gerrard, like Arsenal are with Arteta. Like they were with Ange (terrible start but they could see him working towards something before we handed the title over)

My issue over the past 2 seasons is mainly with how bad we are, with no signs of improvement and a bleak future.

Lets build towards something for once, please.

If Chris Jack is right and it's 12 players(and let's think how mental that even is considering we have spent over THIRTY MILLION POUNDS in the past two years to get in this state) then it says to me that means Clement is not messing around or half arseing this. This is all in stuff.

This squad is finally receiving the sort of treatment it shoud've got two years ago.

I don't think there will be any of the big dog players left at Ibrox come September.

Tav, Goldson, Cantwell, Butland, Lundstram - I expect them all to be gone at this rate for a variety of reasons.
Where’s the article for this mate?

I can't see how we aim to bring in 12 players & look to reduce squad size and the wage bill in the process (because it's obscene for the return we get) without getting rid of almost every big earner.

Anybody over 25 and on a big deal will be gone IMO. Even if means the likes of Lawrence going on loan and us paying half the wages for a year.
Given the task involved it would seem Koppen must have a lot of the groundwork done already and we should hopefully hear about some movement out of the squad next week.

That's the same fear i have TMR.

Tav & Goldson have both overall been good for us, but i've seen so many big matches in the last 2 years where they haven't seemed capable of rising to, and because they are deemed our leaders, what impact does that have on younger players ?

The last two games at Parkhead, when true mentally strong men are needed, only Sterling & maybe Ridvan to an extent rose to the challenge, with our keeper of course.
Yes I agree both these players attitudes are exactly what we need rid of in our dressing room, over to you manager .

Folk will dive in to this two footed, but if we sre signing 12+ players - we need to bring in players who are die hards. Oli McBurnie types. Not him but players like him, who live and breath Rangers. (Only better than McBurnie :)))

If we have 12 foreigners then we are cooked because that’s how you develop a culture that doesn’t really care about losing - like we have now.

In fact this squad are more concerned about the backlash they receive from losing than actually losing.

I won't say it's impossible to win the league in year one because Postecoglou showed it can be done

But if the support see progress and that there are signs of a playing style and a plan being formed they'll stay onside.

The support are moaning bastards but we're also not daft. If we think we're heading in the right direction we'll be onboard.

But it's imperative the board communicate with us this summer. Tell us they've made mistakes, acknowledge the supports frustrations and accept the criticism they've rightly received and then draw a line under it. Tell us they're doing everything to fix it. Don't patronise us with stories of aye but what about Seville and 55. They're done. New manager, new era. Gut that dressing room, rebuild us for the long haul and let's go.

Treat the support like grown ups and they'll back them 100%

Really feels like we're finally getting a root-and-stem rebuild that we've required for a long, long time.

There's really nobody you'd be devastated to lose. Butland will only go for a very good fee we can reinvest. Sterling and Ridvan are great young players, but their durability is concerning and you'd expect good fees there as well.

A dozen incoming sounds so exciting. We need much better success with additions than we've had, but I've got total faith in Koppen and Clement. Interesting names touted already, let's hope we get plenty of business done quickly.

Not in the know at all troops, but just do a bit of IT work for some clubs through a relationship my firm has with Statsbomb. Have posted before about it. Maatsen specifically last August well before Gio confirmed the club had been looking at him. Anyway Myron Boadu, striker. From what I can see there's a solid chance hes in at Rangers pretty early in the window.

Last edited:
Really feels like we're finally getting a root-and-stem rebuild that we've required for a long, long time.

There's really nobody you'd be devastated to lose. Butland will only go for a very good fee we can reinvest. Sterling and Ridvan are great young players, but their durability is concerning and you'd expect good fees there as well.

A dozen incoming sounds so exciting. We need much better success with additions than we've had, but I've got total faith in Koppen and Clement. Interesting names touted already, let's hope we get plenty of business done quickly.
I’d hold back on that just now.

We’ve been linked within loads, looks like definites with Jefte and Cordoba, but there’s a long way to go.

I don’t think the club could afford to be seen chasing 3/4/5 players in the last week this time around though.

Folk will dive in to this two footed, but if we sre signing 12+ players - we need to bring in players who are die hards. Oli McBurnie types. Not him but players like him, who live and breath Rangers. (Only better than McBurnie :)))

If we have 12 foreigners then we are cooked because that’s how you develop a culture that doesn’t really care about losing - like we have now.

In fact this squad are more concerned about the backlash they receive from losing than actually losing.

who? and within price range

Easy to say, but who? Signing average players because they support Rangers also doesn’t work. See the years we had Docherty, McCrorie, Cummings, Halliday, Dorrans etc

I agree we need some sort of leadership to stop this losing environment we have but it is very hard and I’m not going to suggest signing average players because they support us.

Not in the know at all troops, but just do a bit of IT work for some clubs through a relationship my firm has with Statsbomb. Have posted before about it. Maatsen specifically last August well before Gio confirmed the club had been looking at him. Anyway Myron Boadu, striker. From what I can see there's a solid chance hes in at Rangers pretty early in the window.
Boadu would be wonderful, exactly the profile we’re looking for.

I couldn't care less how long it takes a new squad to gel and deliver success if it means getting this failure of a squad out the door once and for all.
You and I both know if the squad takes too long to gel and we're 8 points behind in October then this place will be a riot again.

We shouldn't be expecting instant success but we should be expecting progress.
We need to win the league next season. It’s imperative.

EDIT: He's OOC at Twente.

FWIW, a well-known podcaster told me similar this morning. He'd be a great signing.

Easy to say, but who? Signing average players because they support Rangers also doesn’t work. See the years we had Docherty, McCrorie, Cummings, Halliday, Dorrans etc

I agree we need some sort of leadership to stop this losing environment we have but it is very hard and I’m not going to suggest signing average players because they support us.
This idea that we need fans in the squad to instill a winning mentality is utter nonsense. If Clement wants to win titles as much as I think he does, he will be instilling that mentality himself with players he know will take to it.

I get the point you are making, but how many of those type of players are of the quality we are desperate to sign?

How many players have Celtic got in their first team that are fans? Guys like Taylor, McGregor, and Forrest were all Rangers supporters.

Is he not a Monaco player?

my fear is if we bring 12 players in, it’ll take time to gel.
It's a lottery in that sense. Going back a while and a different level, but remember the surgery Warburton carried out and we ended up winning 6-2 at Easter road in the first game. Probably more relevant was fat ange overhauling their squad, initial teething problems then went on to be very efficient (domestically at least).

I won't say it's impossible to win the league in year one because Postecoglou showed it can be done

But if the support see progress and that there are signs of a playing style and a plan being formed they'll stay onside.

The support are moaning bastards but we're also not daft. If we think we're heading in the right direction we'll be onboard.

But it's imperative the board communicate with us this summer. Tell us they've made mistakes, acknowledge the supports frustrations and accept the criticism they've rightly received and then draw a line under it. Tell us they're doing everything to fix it. Don't patronise us with stories of aye but what about Seville and 55. They're done. New manager, new era. Gut that dressing room, rebuild us for the long haul and let's go.

Treat the support like grown ups and they'll back them 100%
Fwiw I think when you add in the players who have been out on loan along with those ooc, then players sold on top of that we could easily lose 16-18 players this summer.
I think we're ready as a support to embrace wholesale changes to the squad.

The usual blind optimism for certain players is as low as it's been for a very long time.

EDIT: He's OOC at Twente.

He has 2 years left at Monaco

Back